Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Vahakyla posted:

Oh my God. TYOOL 2014 they created a six man police force for a town of 822. I thought the old ones were relics of the past and slowly disappearing. But no, these people literally just made one.

What's the criticism of it existing? Just allocation of resources or is there a larger issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Too many chiefs and not enough indians. No accountability since everyody knows and fucks each other in the town. Nepotism hiring and in case of personnel issues, no recourse for anything. You internal affairs, HR and chief are the same dude.

Someone wanted to be a police chief so his friends organized it for him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Vahakyla posted:

Too many chiefs and not enough indians. No accountability since everyody knows and fucks each other in the town. Nepotism hiring and in case of personnel issues, no recourse for anything. You internal affairs, HR and chief are the same dude.

Someone wanted to be a police chief so his friends organized it for him.

That makes sense! Also, since it's an area called Country Club Hills, I really doubt that there's enough crime reported to justify a unique police force.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

theflyingorc posted:

What's the criticism of it existing? Just allocation of resources or is there a larger issue?

It exists to make sure that slightly more of the ticket-revenue and asset forfeiture from their 3/4 mile stretch of I-70 stays in the right hands, and doesn't go to those grasping motherfuckers in (pick the 900 person municipality 3/4 of a mile down the way). And apparently, so they don't have to divvy up the Xanex in the evidence room with the whole goddamn county.

It is this or property taxes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

It's not justice. It might be against the law, though. That doesn't mean that we have to go the fullest extent we possibly can in ruining poo poo or lives. If the supply line can make a small curve and go around the car, what requires us to damage the car? The penalty for that is 54 bucks a citation, not "ruined life". A lot of tasks came down to the "why the gently caress do we do this?"

Taking orders that are total poo poo is really lovely, yet there is little one can do against them in a public agency unless they are absolutely horrific.

You are exactly the type of person who sees nothing wrong with smashing some dude's car up just because you can and the law allowed you to, yet you whine like a little bitch when an officer gives you a ticket for doing 75 on a 55, sobbing how "cops need to get after the real criminals, you see I had a good reason".

Wow did a fireman shoot your dad or something? Settle down. Breaking an rear end in a top hat's car windows is not a life shattering penalty.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Wow did a fireman shoot your dad or something? Settle down. Breaking an rear end in a top hat's car windows is not a life shattering penalty.
He's not upset at the penalty, he's just personally seen people go "oh man, this guy did something slightly rear end in a top hat-ish, I get to stick it to 'em even though it's unnecessary." It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I'm not a fan of people hurting/inconveniencing others just because they can technically get away with it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

That is what he was arguing. I don't agree with him on a lot of issues, but you are taking him out of context here. He was arguing that firemen don't shoot you for illegally parking, and cops shouldn't either. In essence he is arguing against extreme penalties, even if they are lawful. They often aren't needed and whether they are allowed or no, they shouldn't be used.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 1, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

theflyingorc posted:

That makes sense! Also, since it's an area called Country Club Hills, I really doubt that there's enough crime reported to justify a unique police force.

aaahahahahaha

Back in the 50s and 60s after restrictive covenants were killed by the Supreme Court, white flight took the form of all these tiny towns that sprang up to try and keep the blacks out of their neighborhoods. They had names like Country Club Hills just to make it clear what kind of people were welcome there. But of course, they couldn't stop the wave of darkness flowing northwards (mostly because the realtors agreed to channel middle class black people fleeing poverty in the city to North County and channel the white flight west and south) and yeah, that patchwork of tiny towns in near North County are mostly black and mostly poor.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

That is what he was arguing. I don't agree with him on a lot of issues, but you are taking him out of context here.

quote:

Now someone can't drive to work. And they got folks to feed. And bills to pay. But I heard that this was "justice".

------

The penalty for that is 54 bucks a citation, not "ruined life".

quote:

In essence he is arguing against extreme penalties, even if they are lawful. They often aren't needed and whether they are allowed or no, they shouldn't be used.

I don't see it as an extreme penalty, I see it as immediate and tangible reinforcement of why you should not commit the social transgression of placing your convenience above the potential health and safety of others.

I don't care to argue if this is or is not acceptable, I care to point out that Vahklhya is being histrionic and pissy about assholes getting their comeuppance. Busted windows are busted windows and a bad day due to shame, not the potential loss of a job and financial ruination.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 1, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

I don't see it as an extreme penalty, I see it as immediate and tangible reinforcement of why you should not commit the social transgression of placing your convenience above the potential health and safety of others.

I don't care to argue if this is or is not acceptable, I care to point out that Vahklhya is being histrionic and pissy about assholes getting their comeuppance. Busted windows are busted windows and a bad day due to shame, not the potential loss of a job and financial ruination.

Just so I'm clear, you think he was being too nice and understanding? Like, people that illegally park deserve to have their property damaged?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Grand jury considering the Ferguson shooting is being investigated for misconduct

Eh, I can't say I'm surprised anymore.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Considering that the DA doesn't want the case, I'm not surprised either.
Just :suicide:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

It's really good that this person is a friend of someone on the grand jury, I'm sure it's going to end up nice and impartial with a reasonable conclusion :)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

There's racism, there's institutionalized racism, and then there's outright hatred. The folks involved in the Ferguson justice system just keep swerving for outright hatred and it's like they just can't help it.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Lemming posted:

It's really good that this person is a friend of someone on the grand jury, I'm sure it's going to end up nice and impartial with a reasonable conclusion :)

The worst part (well, one of many) is that if we shot all the white boys who did the poo poo that Mike Brown did this country would be out of white boys in like a year.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

Just so I'm clear, you think he was being too nice and understanding? Like, people that illegally park deserve to have their property damaged?

People who illegally park in a way that interferes with the business of firefighters, during a time when firefighters have to use the equipment they are obstructing, deserve to have their property damaged to the extent that it mitigates the obstacle they willingly presented to the firefighters.

I also think you should be damaged for being such a pedantic bored nerd that you're picking a fight over this.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Lyesh posted:

The worst part (well, one of many) is that if we shot all the white boys who did the poo poo that Mike Brown did this country would be out of white boys in like a year.

Did you strong arm a gas station when you were a kid?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lemming posted:

In this person's mind, black parents sit down and explain the fine details of robbing liquor stores, selling drugs, and terrorizing white women.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

Given that Mike Brown was only shot for being black, if we shot white boys for being white at the same rate that would even things out a bit.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Miltank posted:

Wow, you're edgy, do moer

:newfap:

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Miltank posted:

No, but i grew up with three brothers, two of whom pulled poo poo at around that level. Including some sweet, sweet unprovoked assaults.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Miltank posted:

I'm sorry, the proper term is strong-ARMED ROBBERY.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

People who illegally park in a way that interferes with the business of firefighters, during a time when firefighters have to use the equipment they are obstructing, deserve to have their property damaged to the extent that it mitigates the obstacle they willingly presented to the firefighters.

I also think you should be damaged for being such a pedantic bored nerd that you're picking a fight over this.

Then you are just horrible in your views. Like I said, I am cool with thrashing property if there is a clear benefit to it. But I despised it when it was done for no reason.
It is not an obstacle if the goddamn hose can go around the car for five feet.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm sorry, the proper term is strong-ARMED ROBBERY.

Do you have a weapon? Are you Black and unarmed? OMG. Everyone freak out. He was a big black guy. Freak out.
This will never get old.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Then you are just horrible in your views. Like I said, I am cool with thrashing property if there is a clear benefit to it. But I despised it when it was done for no reason.
It is not an obstacle if the goddamn hose can go around the car for five feet.

People cheer when the see pictures of cars with a hose through both windows, but why did it have to happen? It didn't the fire department were just being dicks. Yeah, people shouldn't park in front of hydrants, but you don't gently caress someones car up just because you can. Calling it social justice or a social sanction doesn't change the fact that you are loving up someones property out of spite. It is childish and it serves no lasting purpose.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Just another paver in the path to "well he wasn't indicted, the system worked as it's supposed to, what are all you feral savages rioting for? Stop acting like a lynch mob!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

Calling it social justice or a social sanction doesn't change the fact that you are loving up someones property out of spite. It is childish and it serves no lasting purpose.

They probably won't park like that again.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

This is also true if they receive the fine that the law has said is appropriate for this infraction.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

If you deserved to have your car smashed for parking in front of a hydrant then the punishment would be having your car smashed, not a ticket with a fine. The guy's point is just that if they can still do their job without smashing someone's car that's the better alternative. In what universe do you live in that this is a hard concept to understand? If the car is legitimately obstructing and you need to smash the windows, then go for it. If it's close enough that you have plausible deniability that you "needed" to smash it when you really didn't, then you are being a dick if you smash it for fun.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 2, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lemming posted:

If the car is an obstruction, get it out of the way. If it's close enough that you have plausible deniability that you "needed" to smash it when you really did it, then you are being a dick if you smash it for fun.
In fact, this is actually really similar to a lot of the awful points of view cops have that create situations like Ferguson "He went for my gun, now I get to shoot somebody!"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

In fact, this is actually really similar to a lot of the awful points of view cops have that create situations like Ferguson "He went for my gun, now I get to shoot somebody!"

This is why I made the original point page or two back. Just because I can do it was in itself a reason to do many things for some Officers [and I could not really decline those orders which sucked hard core] and not thought of "well poo poo I absolutely have to do this since I have no choice", which would leave my conscience at rest better. I mean, there are legitimate times for this, too. For example, I did push a car out of the way with the engine to reach a hydrant since we really needed that water and in this case it was not a sensation "HAHA gently caress YOU I trashed your car", but a mentality of "sorry dude, I have to".

I just don't forget the lovely grin some people have when they get to wreck other people's poo poo up with no repercussion and no reason.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 2, 2014

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Stultus Maximus posted:

aaahahahahaha

Back in the 50s and 60s after restrictive covenants were killed by the Supreme Court, white flight took the form of all these tiny towns that sprang up to try and keep the blacks out of their neighborhoods. They had names like Country Club Hills just to make it clear what kind of people were welcome there. But of course, they couldn't stop the wave of darkness flowing northwards (mostly because the realtors agreed to channel middle class black people fleeing poverty in the city to North County and channel the white flight west and south) and yeah, that patchwork of tiny towns in near North County are mostly black and mostly poor.

Yeah, Country Club Hills is indeed adjacent to a Country Club, but it conditions there are no different than they are in Jennings and Ferguson. The Country Club, the WORLD HEADQUARTERS of multibillion dollar company Emerson Electric, and an expensive private high school all exist on this weird alternate universe island right across the street, though. St Louis is full of stuff like that. Delmar, Pasadena Hills, etc.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

This is also true if they receive the fine that the law has said is appropriate for this infraction.

Quietly paying a $60 ticket is not the same as having your windows smashed and your shameful car broadcast on the news.

It's like none of you live among humans or something. "what is emotion beep boop autist rules"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

One time in San Francisco I failed to properly read a confusing street sign and parked in a spot that was prohibited for street cleaning on that night. The street cleaner should just slammed its multi ton mass into my vehicle because I was blocking that gutter from being cleaned.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

It's like none of you live among humans or something. "what is emotion beep boop autist rules"
Yes, it is autistic to think that the penalty for crimes should be set by the state, and that what basically amounts to vigilante justice towards them is a bad idea.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Wadjamaloo posted:

One time in San Francisco I failed to properly read a confusing street sign and parked in a spot that was prohibited for street cleaning on that night. The street cleaner should just slammed its multi ton mass into my vehicle because I was blocking that gutter from being cleaned.

If the gutter needed to be cleaned to save someone's life for some reason, they probably should have. :rolleyes: Let's come up with more bad comparisons.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

If the gutter needed to be cleaned to save someone's life for some reason, they probably should have. :rolleyes: Let's come up with more bad comparisons.

The times when we are saving actual lives in the fire engine are pretty low. And even then dragging a hose around an obstacle does not make the life more likely to be saved.

Sometimes it does help, like said. Most of the time not, though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Vahakyla posted:

The times when we are saving actual lives in the fire engine are pretty low. And even then dragging a hose around an obstacle does not make the life more likely to be saved.

Sometimes it does help, like said. Most of the time not, though.

Oh, I know, but there's at least an argument to be made that the fire engine's presence represents a much more immediate and severe need than the street sweeper's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eletriarnation posted:

Oh, I know, but there's at least an argument to be made that the fire engine's presence represents a much more immediate and severe need than the street sweeper's.

The point he's making is that even if the need is immediate and severe, there's almost definitely a way to accomplish their task without destroying property and the number of times where you actually need to ram the car out of the way or smash a hose through a window is pretty drat low, especially since saving four or five seconds really doesn't mean much in the job. His problem is that some people, when given power over others (and likely a good dose of hero worship for being emergency rescue personnel keeping them from receiving adequate repercussions for being assholes), take the opportunity to commit "justified" harm to others.

• Locked thread