Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Scyantific posted:

This is really cool. Nice job!

It looks good and all, but why'd they half-rear end the walkman? Shouldn't it be easy to go and find a portable cassette player?

Guardians cosplay has also made old ones really hard to find. A lot of my cosplay friends have been 3D printing them or doing sculpts with decals and whatnot because normal Walkmans (walkmen? hmm) are in demand.

I'm working on Sorceress Edea from FF8 right now so I'm all about Pixiekitty's Edea and Adel Ultimecia cosplays right now.

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

That's Ultimecia, not Adel :)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

McPantserton posted:

Guardians cosplay has also made old ones really hard to find. A lot of my cosplay friends have been 3D printing them or doing sculpts with decals and whatnot because normal Walkmans (walkmen? hmm) are in demand.

One movie can't have made that much of a differen

:stare:

I guess it doesn't help that they used the oldest and thus probably rarest model.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Wow, Guardians did for Sony what E.T. did for Reeses. Didn't expect that.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I, uh, well...uh... ok then...

My mistake :ohdear:

Lywinis
Nov 5, 2007

I can bench more than you.

Doctor Octopus Cosplay by Bullout

Photography by Bryan Humphrey

What a cute kid. :3:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Kids cosplaying in well made costumes is always soooo much cooler to me than adults doing it. Adult cosplay is cool, but man, I wish my parents had made me such awesome outfits instead of just wrapping me in toilet paper and calling me a mummy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A great Violet.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
No shots of her invisible, 4/10.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

No shots of her invisible, 4/10.

Found one:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

McPantserton posted:

I'm working on Sorceress Edea from FF8 right now

If you don't mind sharing trade secrets, how are you handling the weird curtain assembly she wears on her back?

I guess, to be more specific, what are you making it out of? I've seen a few friends over the years put together Edea costumes, and they were all grumpy about the backpiece thing. One gal, who is very handy with ornate carpentry, actually made hers out of balsa. Wish I still had photos of it, because it was pretty amazing. It also had the benefit of not weighing a darn thing, but it sadly met its demise when she stumbled getting into an elevator :(

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you don't mind sharing trade secrets, how are you handling the weird curtain assembly she wears on her back?

I guess, to be more specific, what are you making it out of? I've seen a few friends over the years put together Edea costumes, and they were all grumpy about the backpiece thing. One gal, who is very handy with ornate carpentry, actually made hers out of balsa. Wish I still had photos of it, because it was pretty amazing. It also had the benefit of not weighing a darn thing, but it sadly met its demise when she stumbled getting into an elevator :(

So what I'm doing for mine is making the struts out of hollow aluminum rod for the straight parts, then I'm doing the top finials out of a thermoplastic called Worbla. It's very light, pretty durable, and when you heat it you can mold it like clay so I'm basically making plastic 'snakes' out of my huge bag of scrap pieces and shaping them. I did a vector design of the whole thing and printed it off to scale to help all the sculpting so I just do the plastic right on a piece of paper. The connecting circular thingers between the 7 straight struts will probably also be worbla. I'll coat the worbla parts in wood glue so the texture difference to the aluminum is less obvious. Then the whole thing will all mount into a half-circle wood plate that will mount to my back with backpack straps and an underbust strap, this part will also have a piece that extends down my spine to stabilize the whole rig.

I've only built one so far and I want to do just a bit more refining of the shape and blending between the aluminum and the worbla but here it is so far!

e. I just laughed out loud about my 'trade secrets,' it's more the case that I won't shut up about my build plans :shobon:

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

McPantserton posted:

So what I'm doing for mine is making the struts out of hollow aluminum rod for the straight parts, then I'm doing the top finials out of a thermoplastic called Worbla. It's very light, pretty durable, and when you heat it you can mold it like clay so I'm basically making plastic 'snakes' out of my huge bag of scrap pieces and shaping them. I did a vector design of the whole thing and printed it off to scale to help all the sculpting so I just do the plastic right on a piece of paper. The connecting circular thingers between the 7 straight struts will probably also be worbla. I'll coat the worbla parts in wood glue so the texture difference to the aluminum is less obvious. Then the whole thing will all mount into a half-circle wood plate that will mount to my back with backpack straps and an underbust strap, this part will also have a piece that extends down my spine to stabilize the whole rig.

I've only built one so far and I want to do just a bit more refining of the shape and blending between the aluminum and the worbla but here it is so far!

e. I just laughed out loud about my 'trade secrets,' it's more the case that I won't shut up about my build plans :shobon:

Cosplay is serious business. You never know who is going to show up looking like the character that you are trying to copy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Leper Residue posted:

Kids cosplaying in well made costumes is always soooo much cooler to me than adults doing it. Adult cosplay is cool, but man, I wish my parents had made me such awesome outfits instead of just wrapping me in toilet paper and calling me a mummy.

This BttF stuff was pretty neat back in 2012.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/goines/sets/72157631852860788/

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Anyone who says girls can't be ghostbusters needs to go drill a hole in their head.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Boomerjinks posted:

Anyone who says girls can't be ghostbusters needs to go drill a hole in their head.

Is that one of the Extreme Ghostbusters?

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Yashuntafun posted:

Self posting my Chief Chocowacker/Chocoporter from FFXIV cosplay that I made for AWA last weekend:

Holy poo poo, all of the awesome cosplayers I follow are Goons! How can you all be so good at making things?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Silvyfox posted:

Doctor Octopus Cosplay by Bullout

Photography by Bryan Humphrey

What a cute kid. :3:

No manboobs, 4/10.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Erebus posted:

One movie can't have made that much of a differen

:stare:

I guess it doesn't help that they used the oldest and thus probably rarest model.

So I've been on a long-term project going through a couple of storage rooms, and throwing out 90% of everything in there as they haven't been unpacked in 2 or more moves (i.e. decades).

Guess what I threw out last week?

:negative:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

Who says this? I've never heard this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

:effort:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Run run at any speed you're able because the gingerbread man is easier to catch than you may have been led to believe from the fable, or something, whatever.

Spaceman Future! has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Oct 7, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's kind of telling that he decided to wear a sign to minimise human interaction rather than enjoy explaining his poo poo pun to anyone.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Yeah gently caress that kid for his low effort costume that he is wearing inside a high school cafeteria for a non-event.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Short gallery from Russia's first Comic-Con.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ujb0y

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
poo poo, that Vader is rad as hell. What's the specific reference for the orange coloring? Concept art?

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

feedmyleg posted:

poo poo, that Vader is rad as hell. What's the specific reference for the orange coloring? Concept art?
That's because it's an action figure not a person.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ujb0y/comment/294207075

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Adios, amigos!

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
The best Metal Gear cosplay is definitely the Platinum Metal Gear cosplay.

Dieland
Sep 12, 2014

The amazing attention to detail on the T-34 cosplay. Didn't think dressing up as a ww2 tank could be done so right.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hear some people don't like BL cosplay that goes for the full aesthetic with the drawn outlines and stuff, but how can you dislike a job like this. I'm kind of in awe.
Also, I can't tell if they're crossplaying or just a really femme dude, but either way :swoon:

Source of the pictures, I don't know who the cosplayer is

i'm dumb and miss fairly obvious things like "the pictures were taken of this tumblrite not by them, also they're clearly a lady if you look at their other work"

Tollymain has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Oct 9, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
What none of you guys went to the comic con?

Then you guys missed out on a bunch of neat costumes

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

That Nonon is more adventurous than I'd ever care to be at a con. It doesn't look like she's got a sheer body stocking or anything. Nudist Beach indeed.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Phuzzy posted:

That Nonon is more adventurous than I'd ever care to be at a con. It doesn't look like she's got a sheer body stocking or anything. Nudist Beach indeed.

It's probably nipple pasties and double sided tape/glue, which probably is the least comfortable thing at the end of the day. I also loled super hard at her ammo pouches because they are the standard Ultra Pro Deck Box people use for Magic cards.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I went to comic yesterday, I plan to upload a few pictures of some pretty excellent cosplay tomorrow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Perfect costume for her, the face is remarkably similar.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jet Ready Go posted:

What none of you guys went to the comic con?

Then you guys missed out on a bunch of neat costumes

His head looks super tiny.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

RareAcumen posted:

His head looks super tiny.

I know that dude, his head is super tiny. He's freaky tall as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Add to gallery > "Cosplay photos to be very careful about shooting in public"

• Locked thread