Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
This is just some idea I was mulling in my brain, and I'm wondering if this mechanic is okay or far too powerful?

I was think about Surrak Dragonclaw and how he's not that great. If you aren't against control, anti-counter power doesn't help. I was think of a power that could be very powerful buy not invincible, and I thought of this:

This creature has protection from removal (Cannot be affected by spells or creature abilities that can destroy, exile, or sacrifice).

While that seems pretty powerful, the creature itself is still open to being killed by burn spells (lighting strike, searing blood, etc.), debuffing spells like bile blight, and being blocked by creatures. Does something like this feel too powerful to use in-game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As written, your hypothetical creature still does to Wrath of God and Cruel Edict. "Protection" means something very specific, and doesn't do anything about destroy/exile/sacrifice effects.

Honestly, just making something hexproof is effectively "protection from spot removal", and I'm not sure how much you're gaining by reinventing it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

reinvent it by bringing back shroud instead

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Jabor posted:

As written, your hypothetical creature still does to Wrath of God and Cruel Edict. "Protection" means something very specific, and doesn't do anything about destroy/exile/sacrifice effects.

Honestly, just making something hexproof is effectively "protection from spot removal", and I'm not sure how much you're gaining by reinventing it.

True, but I mean that creature wouldn't be affected by wrath spells like Wrath of God. I can see where hexproof would be an easier answer, but I'm just wondering if something like what I am suggesting is too powerful.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Have it be something like "This creature can only be destroyed by combat damage."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
This comes up every once in a while, and I don't think we've ever found a way to template it that isn't really awkward. Functionally, I think Aetherling is as close as it's gonna get.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

homerlaw posted:

Have it be something like "This creature can only be destroyed by combat damage."

"This creature cannot leave the battlefield unless it has received lethal damage."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Do we do trades and such for MTGO in the trade thread in SA Mart? I don't know that I've seen that. I haven't seen anywhere to add friends on MTGO, either. At least some of you guys still play it, right?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

homerlaw posted:

You can still make them sacrifice it, it can still be exiled, and it would still die from having a toughness of 0. I think this discussion occurred in the last thread- it's actually very difficult to make something genuinely immune to mass removal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LGD posted:

You can still make them sacrifice it, it can still be exiled, and it would still die from having a toughness of 0. I think this discussion occurred in the last thread- it's actually very difficult to make something genuinely immune to mass removal.

I don't think there's anything in the game that is immune to Perilous Vault. Stapling Sigarda, Progenitus and Indestructible would come close to invincible, but I don't think there's anything that actually makes something immune to exile. I guess if you had an ability that said "if a spell or effect would cause CARDNAME to leave the battlefield, counter that spell or ability." Even then, you could technically Stifle that trigger.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Carrasco posted:

This comes up every once in a while, and I don't think we've ever found a way to template it that isn't really awkward. Functionally, I think Aetherling is as close as it's gonna get.

Noncombat damage can't be marked on ~. ~ can't be destroyed except by lethal damage.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004
I'm thinking about putting dictate of erebos in a butcher of the horde + goblin rabblemaster + brimaz shell, with tempo and hand disruption. The basic idea is turn 5-7 you pump the butcher, which also would wipe your opponent's board with indirect removal that gets around hexproof and indestructible.

For removal, it would be lightning strike, stoke the flames, murderous cut, hero's downfall, thoughtsieze, despise, mardu charm, crackling doom, deicide/banishing light/chained to the rocks, etc. No shortage of answers to things like Sarkhan in main deck. So, would throwing athreos/purphoros in the mix make it super punishing, or would that be a little too christmas land, even in sideboard?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Noncombat damage can't be marked on ~.

Prevent all non-combat damage that would be dealt to ~
:goonsay:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Noncombat damage can't be marked on ~. ~ can't be destroyed except by lethal damage.

That's just a weaker and needlessly complicated version of indestructible.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could also solve the sacrifice/exile problem by not printing any sacrifice/exile removal in the same format, if we're talking about this as an actual card design rather than a "can you make an unkillable creature" thought experiment.

Then you can just do "~ can't be destroyed except by lethal damage", which fits the original stipulation of being immune to traditional mass and spot removal but still dies to burn, -X/-X, and combat.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Carrasco posted:

Isn't that what we're going for? I didn't actually read most of the last page :shobon:

End of Life Guy posted:

Prevent all non-combat damage that would be dealt to ~
:goonsay:

That doesn't get around 'this damage can't be prevented' effects..

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"If ~ would leave the battlefield, instead remove all noncombat damage from it. If ~ has lethal combat damage marked on it, destroy it."

That works and I think it matches the correct rule lawyer phrasing, but it's screwy with effects like Karn Liberated and Lich's Mirror.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Maybe some variation on

"If this creature would be put into the graveyard for any reason other than being destroyed as a result of lethal combat damage, or if this creature would be exiled by any other effect, and no creature named ~CARD NAME~ has left the battlefield this turn, exile this creature and return it to the battlefield."

but yeah there really isn't any way to do this that doesn't have holes in it (the above example can be bounced and is still subject to Pacifism style effects), isn't super awkward to read, and isn't super-abusable

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

RME posted:

only if you use different colored beads of the same type for counters too

That's the plan! The problem is that I hate carrying assortments of dice and crap. I only bring 4-5 large dice for goyf and Planeswalker tracking and that's it. This will force me to bring my old pokemon glass bead bag which was awful.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Not necessarily what we are looking for, but I would be interested in seeing something like the following:
Planar Bound (This card cannot be exiled from the battlefield.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mondrian posted:

Calvary
You-borg
Geest of Saint Traft

:psyduck:

Seleeneeya
Or-jov
Dimmer
Joond

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Not necessarily what we are looking for, but I would be interested in seeing something like the following:
Planar Bound (This card cannot be exiled from the battlefield.)

The problem with that is if Rest in Peace is on the battlefield, when a "Planar Bound" creature receives lethal damage or has toughness < 1, the game just hangs up repeatedly trying to execute a state-based effect that can't happen.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Carrasco posted:

The problem with that is if Rest in Peace is on the battlefield, when a "Planar Bound" creature receives lethal damage or has toughness < 1, the game just hangs up repeatedly trying to execute a state-based effect that can't happen.

Yeah, but that can just be "common sense" (I do hate that phrase) embedded into the keyword effect like Bestowed lets the card stay on the field as a creature if the target is destroyed before the Bestow effect resolves.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Exiling is rare enough that this hypothetical keyword seems extremely narrow, annoying to execute rules-wise, and fairly pointless.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Traded Treasure Cruise for 3 boosters, got Sarkhan. Card works a fuckin treat. :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jitte
Keranos
Any other foreign words that sound awful when pronounced as American English but it's mostly those two that will endure due to eternal usage.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

More fun is watching someone's terrified reaction when you play Flip and Rip. I thought it was stupid, then I actually played it. Everyone should try it at least once, especially with a new player.
That's the spirit!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
A fun thing to do in your playgroup is correct someone's pronunciation of "Necropotence," no matter which they choose. If they say "neck-row-potence," say it's "ne-craw-po-tense," and vice-versa. Then next week, when they've "corrected" their pronunciation, do it again. See how long it takes before they figure it out/stop playing EDH with you.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 2, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Carrasco posted:

"needlessly complicated" doesn't exist in Goon lexicon.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Pala-KRON-os? Pa-LUKE-ren-os? Paw-luke-RAN-os?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Palooka. :v:

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Kokusho... coke-a-show

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Big P.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I know a guy that says "mootavault" who evidently either doesn't really get or care about the fact that it's a really basic combination of the words mutant/mutating and vault.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I know a guy that says "mootavault" who evidently either doesn't really get or care about the fact that it's a really basic combination of the words mutant/mutating and vault.
How the hell do you pronounce mutant without a moo sound?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Polly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jonked posted:

When you say it correctly.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Jonked posted:

Some people intentionally mispronounce words because they find it funny, even when the rest of the world doesn't.

Also his name is totally Big Palooka, the World Eater guys. :v:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Jonked posted:

By being fluent in the English language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Cernunnos posted:

Some people intentionally mispronounce words because they find it funny, even when the rest of the world doesn't.

Also his name is totally Big Palooka, the World Eater guys. :v:

Pauly Prissy Pants.

• Locked thread