Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

uPen posted:

My ex-outdoor cat jumped off a 3rd story balcony a few weeks ago trying to catch a bird, cats are dumb.

Yeah, our family's cat jumped off our second story one just because he tried to go around a pole on the outside, rather than the inside/deck side where the railing actually was. My girlfriend's never had a cat before so I'm not sure she entirely understands how stupid they can be.

e: oh boy new page. here's the questions:

I, Butthole posted:

So, my partner's grandfather passed away recently and we might be getting his 7 year old outdoor male cat - the difference being that we live in an apartment. My family's cat moved from outdoor to indoor when we moved about a decade ago, but he was always pretty chill and wasn't an outdoor cat for his entire life, only a few years or so - the new cat, Charlie, has been outdoors almost his entire life to my knowledge. We know we'll have to take him to the vets straight away for vaccinations and claw clipping, and we're planning of keeping him confined to the bathroom for the first week or so - is there anything else that we need to do or is recommended?

I'm already planning two litterboxes around the apartment as well as putting up a few of our old moving boxes with blankets and towels in them so he has cozy, closed in places to chill.

We've also got a balcony as we're three stories from the ground - I'm of the mind that we shouldn't let him out on the balcony because I've seen how dumb cats can be, but my partner reckons that he'll be fine. Anyone got experience with that sort of stuff? I might get some bamboo fencing stuff to have out there anyway, and if his claws are clipped I want to say he won't be able to climb that - but once again, experience with dumb, stubborn and overconfident cats makes me a bit wary.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Our kitten is eating too fast and has puked twice in as many weeks. At least I'm thinking it's from eating too fast, there are always whole pieces of kibble in it and it's otherwise a minimal amount. She also is her usual hyper and playful self so it doesn't seem like she's sick.

What are the tips for getting them to eat slower? A golfball in her dish or putting her kibble in an ice cube tray?

She gets her wet and dry food in the same dish, but at this point I might separate them to make it easier to do things with her dry food.

Thanks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

How do I discourage my cat from climbing me like a tree? It hurts like hell.

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.

I, Butthole posted:

Yeah, our family's cat jumped off our second story one just because he tried to go around a pole on the outside, rather than the inside/deck side where the railing actually was. My girlfriend's never had a cat before so I'm not sure she entirely understands how stupid they can be.

e: oh boy new page. here's the questions:

One of my brother's cats jumped off my parent's second floor balcony (in-door! It overlooks their main floor of their greenhouse, they are fancy people) and managed to break her nose on a plant pot without incurring any other major damage, the beautiful idiot. We also have compelling evidence that my roommate's cat, who is afraid of everything, jumped out of my other roommate's second-floor window, since said roommate went out for a smoke and found him wandering around outside making plaintive noises and his was the only open window. (And then there's my cat, who managed to ninja through our third roommate's main floor window while he was in the room and was found just hanging out on the porch banister, the little jerk.) I would pretty much always suggest assuming that your cat is going to be stupid as hell.

I, Butthole posted:

So, my partner's grandfather passed away recently and we might be getting his 7 year old outdoor male cat - the difference being that we live in an apartment. My family's cat moved from outdoor to indoor when we moved about a decade ago, but he was always pretty chill and wasn't an outdoor cat for his entire life, only a few years or so - the new cat, Charlie, has been outdoors almost his entire life to my knowledge. We know we'll have to take him to the vets straight away for vaccinations and claw clipping, and we're planning of keeping him confined to the bathroom for the first week or so - is there anything else that we need to do or is recommended?

I'm already planning two litterboxes around the apartment as well as putting up a few of our old moving boxes with blankets and towels in them so he has cozy, closed in places to chill.

We've also got a balcony as we're three stories from the ground - I'm of the mind that we shouldn't let him out on the balcony because I've seen how dumb cats can be, but my partner reckons that he'll be fine. Anyone got experience with that sort of stuff? I might get some bamboo fencing stuff to have out there anyway, and if his claws are clipped I want to say he won't be able to climb that - but once again, experience with dumb, stubborn and overconfident cats makes me a bit wary.

When I lived at home, my family found a stray wandering around at our cottage and we adopted him- he was only seven months old or so, mind you, so I'm not sure how much I can really offer you in terms of advice, but he took to being an indoor cat just sort of alright. Honestly, the biggest issue we had with him was that even after he was neutered, he got into constant pissing fights with our old neutered male cat, who never did anything of the sort before he showed up. If you're just having the cat and a dog, that shouldn't be an issue for you, obviously, but a lot of transitioning a cat from outdoor to indoor seems to have to do with the cat's personality, so unless you know his temperment really well, all you can really do is the standard procedure and prepare for the possibility of your cat being an aspiring escape artist, I guess.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Dantu posted:

How do I discourage my cat from climbing me like a tree? It hurts like hell.

Is your cat a kitten? I discouraged my kittens from doing this by sucking air in through my teeth quickly whenever they did that or anything else that hurt me. Also, trim their claws if you aren't already and hopefully they won't be able to get purchase. Getting scraped by a dull cat claw still hurts, but not as much as being punctured and scaled.

My stupid cat has gotten the idea that she should knock drinks over by grabbing into the rim and pulling them over. She did this last night with a beer and ended up soaking herself. Fingers crossed that getting soaked by beer and bathed will deter her next time.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

Our kitten is eating too fast and has puked twice in as many weeks. At least I'm thinking it's from eating too fast, there are always whole pieces of kibble in it and it's otherwise a minimal amount. She also is her usual hyper and playful self so it doesn't seem like she's sick.

What are the tips for getting them to eat slower? A golfball in her dish or putting her kibble in an ice cube tray?

She gets her wet and dry food in the same dish, but at this point I might separate them to make it easier to do things with her dry food.

Thanks.

Both of those options may work, if they don't you can also try changing to a kibble that is star/triangle shaped. The edges make it difficult to swallow whole so they chew it instead.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

We pretty easily made a puzzle toy by cutting holes in a water bottle slightly bigger than the kibbles. It's super annoying but the cats do seem to love batting it around, and it forces them to eat more slowly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
When we were feeding dry, we used a puzzle ball for a while. The cat just nosed it into a corner and spun it around until all the kibble had fallen out, then wolfed it down. If we were in the room she'd give us dirty looks for making her work extra. :catstare:

Usually they work pretty well, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My family's cat had to be put to sleep today. :( He was 18, and we gave him a good life. Farewell, you dumb but affectionate goofball.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

I've seen many outdoor cats re-homed as indoor cats. As long as they can look out windows and have plenty of stimulation they seem pretty content. The older they are when they're taken in the more they seem to hate carriers, though. However, these are all former city strays, not cared-for outdoor kitties, so it's a different situation.

------------------

I have solved the problem of my picky eater by filling up a big soup bowl with more food than she could ever possibly eat. That way she never hits the bottom. I've weighed it before and after feeding and she's eating what she needs. I guess she just hated seeing the bottom of her bowl? Cats are dumb.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

DaisyDanger posted:

Is your cat a kitten? I discouraged my kittens from doing this by sucking air in through my teeth quickly whenever they did that or anything else that hurt me. Also, trim their claws if you aren't already and hopefully they won't be able to get purchase. Getting scraped by a dull cat claw still hurts, but not as much as being punctured and scaled.

Yeah, he's a kitten. I'll give this a try thanks.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Next month we're having some guests who will be bringing their terrier-mix and we've been warned that he's likely to investigate the litterbox for "tasty treats". We're also planning on getting a small/medium sized dog in the near future and it will likely be a problem then as well.

Is there a good gate that allows a cat through (Mouse is small, weighing around 7lbs) but blocks even jumpy dogs?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

So my wife and I got a new cat on Monday, she is about a year old and came from another home and not a shelter. We have another cat in our home so we've designated our bedroom as the "safe room", but she has decided that the best place for her to hide is behind the dresser right by the door. She's scared when the resident cat walks by the door, and when we come in and out of the room and this has lead to her hissing whenever we walk by , open the door or get things out of the dresser she is hiding behind. We're ok with this, we know she's scared and that she wants us to get away, but we need our clothes and to get out of the bedroom!

This escalated to batting at us last night and leaping out of her hiding spot to "attack" us this morning (she lept at us but didn't make any contact, then immediately went back to hide-so not really an attack). We want her to love us, but are obviously failing at this. She made a huge gain yesterday afternoon where she came up to me, sniffed my hand and ran away, but after last night she's hissing at the sight of either of us. We speak to her for at least 20 mins a day, has fresh food, water and litter, a window to look out of, a couple of places to hide and we sleep in the room while she wanders around in there at night.

I don't know what to do, it keeps getting worse and not any better; does anyone have advice? I think I might pick up some Feliway today and spray it around the room to get her to calm down.

TLDR: New cat hates us--she is scared, hisses/growls when we pass by her hiding spot and we don't know what to do!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

TLDR: New cat hates us--she is scared, hisses/growls when we pass by her hiding spot and we don't know what to do!

It's been three whole days. Chill.

It will probably take several weeks for the new cat to feel comfortable in your home. Until then, it's going to be stressed out as a newcomer in a potentially hostile environment.

Play with her, feed her treats, etc. to help her feel accepted and calmer. The main ingredient will be time.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

It's been three whole days. Chill.

It will probably take several weeks for the new cat to feel comfortable in your home. Until then, it's going to be stressed out as a newcomer in a potentially hostile environment.

Play with her, feed her treats, etc. to help her feel accepted and calmer. The main ingredient will be time.

I figured I was overreacting. I've had a bunch of cats throughout my life and they've all been super easy so this is a new thing for me. This is also the first time I'm bringing a cat into a home with another that lives there so I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Cythereal posted:

My family's cat had to be put to sleep today. :( He was 18, and we gave him a good life. Farewell, you dumb but affectionate goofball.

What a handsome guy. 18 years is a good, long life for a kitty. :sympathy:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Cheesus posted:

Next month we're having some guests who will be bringing their terrier-mix and we've been warned that he's likely to investigate the litterbox for "tasty treats". We're also planning on getting a small/medium sized dog in the near future and it will likely be a problem then as well.

Is there a good gate that allows a cat through (Mouse is small, weighing around 7lbs) but blocks even jumpy dogs?

I used the principle that cats can get flatter to the ground than dogs can, since my cat is slightly larger than two of my dogs and one of my dogs can outjump him. Used a tall pressure-mount baby gate with a latch for easy walk-through (like this), mounted maybe 3-4 inches off the floor? I tried a few heights to find the right one where the cat oozed under it but the dogs gave up.

E: All of my dogs are pretty respectful of my cat. This isn't a good avenue for quick escape if the dog is likely to chase the cat or snipe while he's coming in or out.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 2, 2014

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
My 24ish year old Siamese, Sasha, is having issues. She has Chronic Renal Failure (diagnosed mid-2010). She'd been on numerous antibiotics almost constantly for the past year or so due to recurring cystitis. She'd have the occasional pee accident but at the end of August, she began using the litter box a lot. We had her put on two different antibiotics with no success. An X-ray today showed the bladder walls being 15-20mm thick and her bladder is collapsed on itself. The vet told us to discontinue antibiotics and her other meds, give her Buprenorphine and take her in Monday to be put down.

Other than the frequent urinating, she's eating very well, drinking, and her bowel function has been better recently than it has been in years. She's still outside as soon as the sun rises to sunbathe and as soon as the BBQ fires up, pacing until she gets food. She still gives daily headbutts and noselicks and cuddles. She's fairly senile, but I still see life in her eyes. The bladder thing must be uncomfortable, but there's not a lot of outward signs outside of frequent urination unless it's a 'bad day'.

The problem the vet had was that she couldn't get enough sterile urine to rule specific things out, so why the bladder wall is so thick, we still don't know. We can't put her under anaesthesia due to her age.

Basically I'm unsure of the decision made. I don't have the sign from Sasha that this is it, that she's ready to go. With Baby, her son that died last year, it was easier, as the last seizure he had took his eyesight, and he was looking for a place to hide.

So my options tonight are to a) give her usual round of meds minus antibiotics, which weren't working, b) give her nothing or c) give her the Buprenorphine the vet gave us, which I don't want to do overnight, just in case something comes up - the vet won't be open. She mentioned it may cause her to pass in her sleep. Maybe give her a half dose?

Rand McNally fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 3, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DaisyDanger posted:

What a handsome guy. 18 years is a good, long life for a kitty. :sympathy:

He did have four legs and a long fluffy tail, he just tended to sit weirdly as in that photo. He always had that surprised look on his face, too. Rest in peace, doofus.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
So I guess I did a stupid. And since I don't have any friends, let me tell you about it.

The short of it, I just lost my cat near my house.

The long - I decided that it would be good to try to make her used to her bag, and after itching for it for a while on an impulse I stuffed my cat into her bag and took her out to a sort of mini-park about 160 m, or 530 ft away. There I opened the bag, and the cat, after some looking around, got out and ran away. I, of course, went after her and for a couple minutes even was hopeful that she would recognize me as at least someone who could take her back home. Nope, in the street I am her nemesis, and she more and more looked like she was escaping from a predator, until finally I lost her completely. Since then for about 2 hours I went around the neighborhood trying to spot her, to no avail, and it's getting dark and cold, so I went home. I guess I knew from the start that the search was useless since my cat doesn't want to be found. I guess, though, it's not a completely lost cause, because if she wants to find her home, it's still tolerable outside - 10 C or 50 F at night from looking up the weather online, and she should only have to search the area 220 x 240 m or 720 x 780 ft. And even less than that, because she usually goes a short way outside, so once she's near the house she should recognize it and run straight to entrance in which is a branch to my window. But that's sort of a best case scenario.

Edit: I just went to scour the area once more, and it's pretty cold if you don't keep on the move. I also put on a warmer coat, and had a couple snacks before that. And by my estimate it has been 7 hours, so I don't know, if she's looking for her home she's doing it in a wrong place.

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 3, 2014

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

supermikhail posted:

I decided that it would be good to try to make her used to her bag

?? Is this some sort of carrier? Why would it be opened in a strange place?

In any case, put some stinky food outside and some stuff that smells like you and/or your cat out as well and hope she follows her nose home. 50 degrees isn't all that cold, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Sorry to hear about your cat, supermikhail, hope she makes it home safe :( Someone else in the thread posted before recommending using the litter box to attract home a lost kitty iirc

Even though my cat is just a kitten, I've already been subject to the cat phenomenon of her wanting to be right in my field of vision all the time but never actually wanting to be touched. Whyyy? She also has clawed my back to shreds from trying to climb onto my shoulder when I'm not paying attention to her. And yet, she's still really drat adorable :argh:

Also uhh, is it normal for a kitty to meow constantly while they're pooing? The poop itself seems fine, and she's fine afterwards, but while my cats doing her business she's all "MAAAOWR" at the top of her lungs. Thanks for letting us know you're making GBS threads, cat.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

marchantia posted:

?? Is this some sort of carrier? Why would it be opened in a strange place?

In any case, put some stinky food outside and some stuff that smells like you and/or your cat out as well and hope she follows her nose home. 50 degrees isn't all that cold, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Oh, yeah, non-English speaking country, it's a carrier. I only used it to take her to a vet, so 50% of the time it was opened in a strange place.

The stinky food idea wouldn't work, because my cat is very much home bound (if I may), so pretty much if she's at the distance where it makes sense to put something to attract her it's not needed because she's gonna come running inside on her own. Plus I have a garbage container pretty much under my window (relatively speaking), so that should tell her something, right?

By the way, thank you for your replies, random Internet people, it really helps.

Octolady posted:

Also uhh, is it normal for a kitty to meow constantly while they're pooing? The poop itself seems fine, and she's fine afterwards, but while my cats doing her business she's all "MAAAOWR" at the top of her lungs. Thanks for letting us know you're making GBS threads, cat.

My disappeared cat quite often announces her intention to go to the toilet. Lately I've begun suspecting that she's not entirely satisfied with its cleanness, so I've been paying more attention to it, and it feels like there's less vocalization. Does this in any way apply to your situation?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

supermikhail posted:

My disappeared cat quite often announces her intention to go to the toilet. Lately I've begun suspecting that she's not entirely satisfied with its cleanness, so I've been paying more attention to it, and it feels like there's less vocalization. Does this in any way apply to your situation?

Well, I remove her poops as soon as she does them and scoop out the messy litter once a day, and do a whole switch twice a week, so I hope not :( It's only when she's pooping, no other time. I thought she might be having difficulties but she doesn't have the runs or anything.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
On that note, I think when my cat announced her "bathroom" visits, after that she would run around the apartment like crazy. She hasn't done so in a while, and I don't know what's changed. Cats are weird?

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I believe the term is "poo demons."

Laplacean Demon
Jan 20, 2004

CompactFanny posted:

Truly a wonderful phenomenon. :confuoot:

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CompactFanny posted:

So that's what that is.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

supermikhail posted:

Cats are weird?

From what I've been reading and seeing with Ruby, this is always the answer. I've never seen such an "LOL RANDOM" creature in my life.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rand McNally posted:

My 24ish year old Siamese, Sasha, is having issues. She has Chronic Renal Failure (diagnosed mid-2010). She'd been on numerous antibiotics almost constantly for the past year or so due to recurring cystitis. She'd have the occasional pee accident but at the end of August, she began using the litter box a lot. We had her put on two different antibiotics with no success. An X-ray today showed the bladder walls being 15-20mm thick and her bladder is collapsed on itself. The vet told us to discontinue antibiotics and her other meds, give her Buprenorphine and take her in Monday to be put down.

Other than the frequent urinating, she's eating very well, drinking, and her bowel function has been better recently than it has been in years. She's still outside as soon as the sun rises to sunbathe and as soon as the BBQ fires up, pacing until she gets food. She still gives daily headbutts and noselicks and cuddles. She's fairly senile, but I still see life in her eyes. The bladder thing must be uncomfortable, but there's not a lot of outward signs outside of frequent urination unless it's a 'bad day'.

The problem the vet had was that she couldn't get enough sterile urine to rule specific things out, so why the bladder wall is so thick, we still don't know. We can't put her under anaesthesia due to her age.

Basically I'm unsure of the decision made. I don't have the sign from Sasha that this is it, that she's ready to go. With Baby, her son that died last year, it was easier, as the last seizure he had took his eyesight, and he was looking for a place to hide.

So my options tonight are to a) give her usual round of meds minus antibiotics, which weren't working, b) give her nothing or c) give her the Buprenorphine the vet gave us, which I don't want to do overnight, just in case something comes up - the vet won't be open. She mentioned it may cause her to pass in her sleep. Maybe give her a half dose?

If your cat isn't a demon at a vet's office, unsedated ultrasound examinations are extremely useful at looking at the insides of organs - including the bladder. It also makes sampling urine easier, so smaller bladders can be accessed. Does your vet have ultrasound? If they do not, you can consider finding one that can do an ultrasound.

Unless it is a very high dose of buprenorphine, or she is extremely debilitated, it is unlikely to kill her. Now, strange reactions can happen, of course, but that shouldn't necessarily be expected.

Not seeing your kitty or knowing all the behind-the-scenes, I won't know why there is a discrepancy between your assessment and the veterinarian's.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey, my girlfriend and I have been long considering getting a cat and this seemed a good a place as any other to ask some outstanding questions. I've never had a pet and she's only had a few guinea pigs growing up, but we're trying to get as well-informed about the situation and feel like we're up to handling it. We read the intro and there is some really great information there. We haven't yet found the cat we'd like, but we decided to get an adult since we work and a calmer pet seems like it would suit us better. She's against having two cats so that's not going to happen. We live in Paris, France so I'm concerned about food, most of the brands here seem American, but this isn't some out-of-way locale, I'm sure something will turn up.

I have a few questions that I couldn't find mentioned. Recently, someone mentioned a cat jumping off a balcony. That would be exceptionally fatal as we live on the 7th floor of the building. Also our only windows are in fact our balcony doors and having them closed at all times really isn't a possibility. We figure an older cat would be more resistant to accidental suicide and thankfully birds don't seem to come by. We have neighbors with cats though and large screen-lesswindows (they're not a thing in France) so it does seem possible to have them live this high up and not die. However, there is also a rooftop it could get onto with ease as well as access to the neighbor's balcony. I've got some photos.

There's the rooftop here and it's about a 2 meter drop, no problem for the cat to get down, but then I'd have to get it back up. I figure a small mesh on the fence here would prevent it from crawling through and it'd be disinclined to make the extra effort to jump over but then again I have no idea.

This is how close the neighbor's balcony is. Less dangerous and again I think some chickenwire would be all it'd need.

Harder to see in this one but there's a small passage connecting our balcony to the neighbor's. There are however a good amount of pigeon spikes there and I'd like to hope the cat wouldn't try its luck but I keep seeing regularly just how little foresight they have.

We're not against the cat going out, though we'd prefer if it didn't so I figure we could try some of the methods like aluminum foil or whatever to make it avoid stepping over the doorway of the balcony. Also since it's coming onto winter we won't actually have the doors open for several months so perhaps it won't care by then?

The last thing is in regards to instruments. I own a wooden bass and an amp and I'd be worried about the cat using them as a scratching post. There's no issue if it were to scratch furniture because we can teach it not to, but I fear any attempt against these items could damage them. Are cats prone to scratching instruments and the like? I can just move them to a neighbor's apartment until its settled if so.

TLDR: Is our seventh floor balcony going to kill our cat? Do cats scratch musical equipment, is that bad for the instruments?

Thanks and if you've any questions, need more information, or pictures just ask!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

TLDR: Is our seventh floor balcony going to kill our cat? Do cats scratch musical equipment, is that bad for the instruments?

Thanks and if you've any questions, need more information, or pictures just ask!
Balcony: cats are dumb. Don't let your cat out and take precautions against it happening, or take precautions to prevent your cat from getting into trouble out there(netting it up or something).

Wooden bass: chances are it won't be attractive to your cat for scratching since it's too smooth and hard and veiny. Amp grills might be a target, if so, turn them against the wall when you're not using them, or just play something when the cat gets close, preferably a high, resonant note with feedback and that will help keep your cat away from it. It's also possible your cat won't even bother with it(my cats don't care about my practice amp), so this may not be necessary.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
As far as the balcony goes, several companies sell "cat netting" for balconies and porches, and a quick Google turns up several DIY options as well.

As far as instruments, we have several guitars, banjos, ukes, etc as well as amps around. Our solution was to place a big, appealing, catnip-covered scratching post in the room with them. Neither cat is interested in the instruments with that thing around and never touch them except for general brush-it-as-they-walk-past cat stuff. Any piece of furniture we're particularly worried about, we put something to scratch on right next to it. Seems to work perfectly, but every cat is different.

E: also, we keep our musical instruments in one room. The first couple times we let the cats in that room were supervised. Anytime it looked like they were going to do something to the amp or instruments we didn't want, we clapped and said "no!" and that stopped them from what they were doing. Then we directed them towards their post and rewarded them for using it.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 4, 2014

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

duckfarts posted:

Balcony: cats are dumb. Don't let your cat out and take precautions against it happening, or take precautions to prevent your cat from getting into trouble out there(netting it up or something).

Wooden bass: chances are it won't be attractive to your cat for scratching since it's too smooth and hard and veiny. Amp grills might be a target, if so, turn them against the wall when you're not using them, or just play something when the cat gets close, preferably a high, resonant note with feedback and that will help keep your cat away from it. It's also possible your cat won't even bother with it(my cats don't care about my practice amp), so this may not be necessary.

The windows won't be open when we're not home, and when we're around I figure we can keep tabs on it, but yeah I'm looking into investing in that air thing that keeps cats from entering certain areas. I figure if we can convince it the balcony's a no-go zone, so much the better for everyone. I'll have to check if netting is allowed on this building. Aesthetics being big in Paris I'm worried they may say no. At the very least I can block the fencing on the bottom so that it can't step through.

And that sounds like a relief for the instruments, the music room is ostensibly the cat's room at this point too, so if having it's toys littered around there makes it ignore that stuff even better.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
So I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for my cat coming back. While wandering around the neighborhood I've seen plenty of stray cats, so I imagine mine isn't really in the open, but instead holed up in some basement, and her home isn't going to come to her. Of course, there's still some hope - years ago I used to have a cat that would go off adventuring for weeks, but he had a completely different temperament. And ended up disappearing for good.

(Sorry for stream of consciousness, I kind of need to offload that somewhere.)

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

^
Condolences for your kitty :( Did you try putting up ads for her in case anyone finds her? Does she have a collar?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Raja got to the vet this past week and saw a new vet at the facility than we have in the past, and while I wasn't there personally so I don't know all the technical details, it sounds like the sneezing and eye watering that our previous vet said was just a symptom of his blindness was in fact a legitimate sinus infection that caused the loss of the tooth. Thankfully, the tooth appears to have been lost in full and not partially, there is no bleeding at the site, and the rest of his teeth look fine. We currently have him on standard antibiotics and he should be fine. We feel bad for letting him have something like that for so long, but the previous vet said there was nothing to worry about :(

The new vet also took a much deeper interest in Raja's blindness, and thinks he's diagnosed it thusly: Raja eyes still have all their rods and cones, which explains why his eyes still dilate when exposed to bright light, but using some fancy infrared doohickey he determined that his eyes never developed any blood vessels/optic nerves to transmit this information to his brain. Apparently he had never seen such a thing before! Glad to know it was an innocent birth defect and not the result of some childhood trauma before he was rescued from feral kittenhood.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses and for all the info we've received from this thread over the years!

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

Octolady posted:

^
Condolences for your kitty :( Did you try putting up ads for her in case anyone finds her? Does she have a collar?

She does have a collar, although no identification on it (it's against fleas), and I only recently convinced myself again that she doesn't need any identification because she's very well behaved in regard to coming home; unless somebody "helps" her, as it turns out.

Well, about 24 hours since what was supposed to be a short walk.

I should probably put up some ads, but I'm not sure people look on it kindly around here, and won't just remove them as soon as I walk away. I guess they'd have to be kind of assholes, though.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

How can I get my two kittens to keep their stupid collars on? My 10 year old cat couldn't give two shits about his collar, but the little ones rip their collars off several times a day. I put them back on as soon as I find them so I'm hoping they'll just give up after a while. Are they maybe too loose/tight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Mine spent the first couple weeks popping off their collars, but they got used to them eventually. I think the rule of thumb for tightness is, if you can slip two fingers between the collar and their neck it's about right.