Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Gaijin needs to add the later Italian planes that mix the Breda-SAFATs with MG151s. :getin:

3xMG151, 2xSAFAT, on a beautiful, fast plane. :allears: I will never play another tree again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I stumbled upon this video: How to not fly a P47 against a 109 :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGqyc3xESY

Just don't fly like that when there are other enemies around.

I actually appreciate this video. It's been a chore to get people to extrapolate on energy trapping and avoiding head-ons (as it'd be hard to describe in text), and this is a nice little intro visualization to that stuff.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADbRFOQNbCk

If this is true then we have a lot of exploiting to do in regards to doing rocket poweredslides on the ground.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Today while flying the 4x .50cal Ki-61 I scored 24 hits and 2 crits (both elevator??) against an IL-2 and did not shoot it down :c00l:. Michaellaneous witnessed and by the end we were just laughing.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 2, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jesus christ that was just silly. The tracers completely engulfed the IL2 with each burst, only to emerge out of it again with seemingly no damage. Could even see the tracer bounce of the plane in all directions.

Just ridiculous.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
Clearly Japanese guns are not designed to penetrate concrete plane. :smuggo:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would help if the Japanese guns ha a muzzle velocity that was faster than concrete pours. Or sets.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I mean the IL2 was unable to touch Fartcar at all, no surprise there. But that doesn't help if it is unkillable.

In retrospect he could have lined up a few more delfections but really...4 50s with 1800 bullets should kill a plane. In some way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Orange Mage posted:

It would help if the Japanese guns ha a muzzle velocity that was faster than concrete pours. Or sets.

On the plus side, if you miss you can just hurry after the shells and pluck them out of the air to re-use :haw:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Type 5s were great on dev.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Michaellaneous posted:

I mean the IL2 was unable to touch Fartcar at all, no surprise there. But that doesn't help if it is unkillable.

In retrospect he could have lined up a few more delfections but really...

How to kill an IL-2:

Climb above it. Dive down and put bullets through the top of the engine cowling or cockpit. There you go, you just killed an IL-2 in one pass with just about any plane that can get matched against an IL-2.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

if it is unkillable.

lol, stop this

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

How to kill an IL-2:

Climb above it. Dive down and put bullets through the top of the engine cowling or cockpit. There you go, you just killed an IL-2 in one pass with just about any plane that can get matched against an IL-2.

My second sentence implied exactly that, thank you.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Guys I just thought it was funny that I scored 24 hits and 2 crits against an IL-2 and it didn't die

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
You can win a Dewoitine D.521! Why would you care? Because it's a cool plane! That's why.
http://warthunder.com/en/news/876-Special-First-Flight-of-Dewoitine-D520-en

quote:

From 14.00 GMT on October 2nd to 14.00 GMT on October 6th
25% Discount on "Dewoitine D.520 Starter Pack"
From 14.00 GMT on October 3rd to 14.00 GMT on October 6th
Complete the special missions to earn Silver Lions and the unique D.521!
Missions:

Reward:
Destroy 60/20/10 enemy planes in AB/RB/SB: Lottery: 20.000 or D.521
Destroy 120/40/20 enemy planes in AB/RB/SB: Lottery: 50.000 or D.521
Destroy 250/60/40 enemy planes in AB/RB/SB: Lottery: 100.000 or D.521
Destroy 360/120/60 enemy planes in AB/RB/SB: D.521

Assist in destroying 120/40/20 enemy planes in AB/RB/SB: Lottery: 20.000 or D.521
Assist in destroying 240/60/40 enemy planes in AB/RB/SB: Lottery: 50.000 or D.521
Assist in destroying 300/100/50 enemy planes in AB/RB/SB: Lottery: 100.000 or D.521
Assist in destroying 420/140/70 enemy planes in AB/RB/SB: D.521

Counted are enemy plyer-controlled aircraft that are destroyed in aerial combat by players flying Rank II to V aircraft. The more advanced the task, the higher the chance to unlock the unique D.521 through the lotterty, that is decided directly after unlocking the corresponding achievement. By completing all of the missions in one set the player is guaranteed to get the D.521!

I guess it's the perfect opportunity to club other nations with the 109-F4. Or just use the :911: Hellcat.

Also: User made skin
from: http://live.warthunder.com/post/53146/ Commander Adama.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 2, 2014

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Fart Car '97 posted:

Guys I just thought it was funny that I scored 24 hits and 2 crits against an IL-2 and it didn't die

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I Aurax'd my breaker rockets the other day :toot:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You can win a Dewoitine D.521! Why would you care? Because it's a cool plane! That's why.

gently caress me, I want that plane. I have the 520 and I thought I'd never get the 521. I will probably end up doing this. :negative:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Also stumbled upon this (1.43 FMs) http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/179860-143-volskys-spoiler-alert-thread/

You should read the whole post, some funny comments. Well at least I was amused :D.

quote:

F7F Tigercat

The FM: Ohhhh....wuhn........ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh -wargasm-. This thing. It is mine. I claim it. Grumman4lyfe. It'll be residing from 275-300 mp/h if on the deck and maneuvering. In that vein, the elevators are about what you'd expect from a twin egine. This thing is a better-maneuvering Me 410, basically. The roll rate is bad, but better than the Typhoon's. The rudder is effective, but comes with an ungodly amount of wobble--bad news for JS users like myself. The cockpit alone is sexy enough to scare most enemies into submission. It comes with a metric freak ton of dakka, and I approve of this. Upon trying to carrier land this thing, I found that full landing flaps are a no-go--the left tore off at a tiny bit above 175 mp/h. That being said, I was able to land this thing at 170 mp/h without ripping it in half--it's pretty drat strong. Even with full landing flaps deployed on my right wing, and missing from my left, this wasn't enough to make landing even remotely difficult.

Also: B17 getting hit by german 20mm (albeit single player/custom whatever mode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srDTqIw0lQA

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 2, 2014

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Also stumbled upon this (1.43 FMs) http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/179860-143-volskys-spoiler-alert-thread/

You should read the whole post, some funny comments. Well at least I was amused :D.

Being an American is no excuse not to use metric. :colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You can win a Dewoitine D.521!

My willingness to kill steal just shot through the roof. I need that go faster gif to say "get kills."

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

My willingness to kill steal just shot through the roof. I need that go faster gif to say "get kills."

I'll see ya'll on Mumble later today :toot:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm surprised it took this long to open up the 521 for further distribution. Though offering it exclusively via fraud before was loving funny.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

I'm thinking I could just play my Soviet line up of Yak-9T/K, Aircobra, Aircobra, King Cobra and knock this poo poo out no problem. It's a shame you can't biplane your way to victory in reserve matches anymore.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

gently caress me, I want that plane. I have the 520 and I thought I'd never get the 521. I will probably end up doing this. :negative:

What a great time to be away on business without my personal laptop...

The requirements are pretty low for SB. Might be fun to get two opposing goon squads organized.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Also: B17 getting hit by german 20mm (albeit single player/custom whatever mode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srDTqIw0lQA

BF110 clubbing to commence :toot:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

quote:

The Bad: Breda explosive ammuniton still has spaghetti instead of shrapnel.

Why do some people think that HE 12.7mm ammunition is going to be amazing? It has less explosive compound and potential shrapnel than the MG 151/15 HE, and that stuff is already pretty anemic against anything with armor. If anything it should act like a slightly better Incendiary round.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

El Disco posted:

Why do some people think that HE 12.7mm ammunition is going to be amazing? It has less explosive compound and potential shrapnel than the MG 151/15 HE, and that stuff is already pretty anemic against anything with armor. If anything it should act like a slightly better Incendiary round.

Because this one time a guy on reddit quoted a pilot who said that it was good, therefore,

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I decided to try out making custom camoflauge. It's not very difficult if you have any sort of knowledge of image manipulation. Here is the first one I made and released.

Download: http://live.warthunder.com/post/53651/

It's the Ki-84 Ko with camo based off of the Ki-61 models. I always thought that was a cool scheme so I made one for my favorite plane. It's too bad only you can see your own custom camo.

BubbaGrace fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 2, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Because Italian planes actually scored kills in WW2, furthermore

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Felony posted:

I decided to try out making custom camoflauge. It's not very difficult if you have any sort of knowledge of image manipulation. Here is the first one I made and released.

Download: http://live.warthunder.com/post/53651/

It's the Ki-84 Ko with camo based off of the Ki-61 models. I always thought that was a cool scheme so I made one for my favorite plane. It's too bad only you can see your own custom camo.

Great job dude, Im gonna use the heck outa this skin.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

You know the Spit Vc would be a lot better if the engine didn't auto-melt after 10 minutes on a Pacific map.

e: also G5Ns seem to be completely immune to fire. Did you cause 2 fuel tank and 2 engine fires? Too bad, they all went out after 5 seconds.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 2, 2014

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It just took a P-400 and myself in a Typhoon 1a over 10 minutes to kill a single Ki-43. I'm not saying this to complain, since it was actually really fun. I was only getting glancing shots until I finally hit something and saw smoke start pouring out. At one point it was chasing me and I cut my throttle to fake a fuel shortage so I could bait him into diving after me since my teammate was about 3k below us.

It was the first time I was on the higher end of the Japanese kite bounce-a-thon so it taught me how Thunderbolts must feel every time I dodge them with my Zero.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

El Disco posted:

You know the Spit Vc would be a lot better if the engine didn't auto-melt after 10 minutes on a Pacific map.

e: also G5Ns seem to be completely immune to fire. Did you cause 2 fuel tank and 2 engine fires? Too bad, they all went out after 5 seconds.

You can fly the SpitVc at less than WEP/100%. It's not going to go much slower. I'd advise hanging back and climbing to the side in this plane. And NOT turn at your highest rate, unless you have to. It bleeds a lot less speed if you're doing gentle turns. Gently caress it into turns ;).

Also: Fire seems to be rather weird at the moment.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Looks like they plan on getting rid of BR for RB: http://devblog.warthunder.com/2014/10/02/the-future-of-matchmaking/?hl=en

They're going to take it out and replace it with a list of what planes a given plane can fight. Seems needlessly complex, but maybe it will stop some of the "Historical matchups only!" whining.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Unreal_One posted:

maybe it will stop some whining.

Not possible. Every single change to the game makes it harder for users to do well and easier for users' opponents to kill them.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You can win a Dewoitine D.521!

There goes any hopes of selling my account to some nerd that wants a special snowflake unicorn plane.

May as well fly it today to confuse the spergs :france:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Bbbut German Skygods had a 1:100000000000 k/d rate irl, Gaijin fix bias!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

devblog posted:

Battles in War Thunder are not a ‘knight fight’ in the sky

Despite the fact that all your experiences with the game tell you otherwise, War Thunder isn't just an airplane arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVULHYwiHIY

• Locked thread