Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arivia posted:

Speaking of source ports, a question: I've been using Zandronum so far since I like not rebooting into Windows to shoot imps, and it was the first port I saw an OS X version for. I poked at ZDoom a bit last night, and there are builds of it for OS X, but there are no GZDoom builds for OS X. Are there some WADs that use only GZDoom (say stuff like Winter's Edge or whatever it is with really big graphical emphasis), or GZDoom more of just a graphical upgrade with little game effects?

A GZDoom mod played in ZDoom may suffer from the following problems:
- wrong lighting: some GZDoom maps aren't designed for the software renderer's light model, and they will appear too dark in ZDoom. GZDoom also allows to set different values for fog and fade colors.
- lack of dynamic light: some rooms may be darker than intended, and error markers will appear instead of lights placed in the editor.
- placeholder sprites for models: people like Enjay tend not to bother making sprite versions of 3D objects they use in GZDoom maps. So you'll see things like a smiley face or an immobile zombieman standing out there, looking weird. In GZDoom, it'd be a palm tree or a helicopter or whatever.
- lack of skies: GZDoom has skyboxes that ZDoom ignores.
- lack of custom texture effects: GZDoom allows to define custom texture shaders (it's not often used, though).
- invisible ramps: sloped 3D floors are not supported by the software renderer, so they're not rendered.
- palette rape: mods for GZDoom often go out of the palette.

Arivia posted:

2) How do you find out what source ports a WAD is compatible with? Do they usually come with a readme or is it on their page or something? What about gameplay changes - like jumping or free aiming? I have to admit I'm growing to like the tight feel of Doom without jumping or vertical aiming, so I'd rather just keep it that way unless a WAD needs something else.
Jumping is part of vanilla Hexen and vanilla Strife; but in Doom and Heretic it's strictly a port feature. Maps made specifically for ZDoom or GZDoom usually have jumping in mind; in vanilla or Boom maps it's usually a cheat. (Though if there are arch-viles in the area, you can use them to jump. It hurts and it's hard to control, but it's possible.)

As for vertical aim, it's only a cheat in case of height puzzles (often used with switches you have to shoot, like the two in the imp building of MAP16 in Doom II; and of course most famous for the Icon of Sin rocket fire) and a little bit for when you are aiming at monsters that are further away than other monsters. Like if you're standing near the edge of a cliff, you're aiming a rocket at a cacodemon flying far away, but there's also a demon closer to you some distance below, so the autoaim would normally pick the demon, and aim the rocket at the ground, and make it explode in your face. It's also a little bit of a cheat in ZDoom since the player's hitscan distance is quadrupled from vanilla, but autoaim still has the same limited range as before, so you can snipe at enemies that are far beyond autoaim range.

Arivia posted:

3) Was crouching part of the original controls for Doom? There was a dead-end passage in TNT's MAP31 I couldn't enter without crouching, so I wasn't sure if it was just for aesthetic purposes or an actual gameplay thing.
Contrarily to jumping which at least has Hexen and Strife to legitimize it, crouching wasn't part of any of the games originally. Well, you could technically kind of crouch in Heretic or Hexen if you were turned into a chicken/pig...

Again, maps made specifically for ZDoom or GZDoom are usually designed with crouching in mind. I'm thinking notably of scalliano's Threshold of Pain mapset here as a good example: the first map begins with a linear path through a mountain cliff. Nigh immediately you get stuck unless you jump, and you see a secret area that can only be reached by crouching. This way you're told that jumping and crouching are not just allowed, but may even be necessary in some parts of the map.

Cerepol posted:

I'm not 100% on if GZDoom and ZDoom maintain feature parity or not.

They do. GZDoom has some additional features (all related to OpenGL rendering effects, or necessary for supporting these rendering effects) but otherwise they're identical. Graf Zahl keeps the GZDoom codebase in sync with ZDoom at least once per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Whew. Just played a bit of DemonSteele using the Brutalized Doom 2 remixed maps. Really fun, but also surprisingly exhausting. Maintaining a C or B level combo requires a whole lot of aggressive demon murder in a very short time, and even with frequent dashing around it's easy to lose track of what's going on.

It's super intense and loud and crazy and that's probably the intent, but whew, not something I'd play for more than about 20 minutes at a time.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I just got Chocolate Doom running on a little Raspberry Pi & LCD and was curious if it could do Brutal Doom too. I doubt zdoom or others would work, at least with this LCD since it doesn't work with GPU accelerated graphics.

That's really cool, I was thinking about getting Raspberry Pi and use it for standalone oldschool gaming machine. Is chocodoom fluid on it? Have you tried running BTSX or other mapset on it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh, I forgot to mention it, going from what Cat Mattress said, every WAD you download from idgames archive will have a (wadname).txt file, and at the very top it'll have "Advanced engine needed : Doom2.exe or compatible." You can judge from this which features you should or shouldn't use, if they don't have the wad lumps to force them off.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQsPE7s5BU

For the love of poo poo would people stop trying to make 3D models for Doom? PLEASE

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

For the love of poo poo would people stop trying to make 3D models for Doom? PLEASE

All I could think of watching that was this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm terrified by spike nipples.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Dominic White posted:

All I could think of watching that was this.

a perfect sync, a great click

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Nah, let them keep trying. Maybe sometime before the heat death of the universe, we'll have an actually passable one.

I can't help but feel this one's still the best one I've seen yet, for all that's wrong with it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It looks like it was left in the oven too long.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Nah, let them keep trying. Maybe sometime before the heat death of the universe, we'll have an actually passable one.

I can't help but feel this one's still the best one I've seen yet, for all that's wrong with it.

It's not THAT horrible, yeah. I'd rather see people try than make more ripoffs of the D3 imp. And if Hunter's Moon and that one GZDooM DayZ style mod are any indication, more 3D poo poo needs to get out for GZDoom.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Why not just do a low-poly style in the vein of Quake? Would probably be a lot easier than making something that looks on-par with modern games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Why not just do a low-poly style in the vein of Quake? Would probably be a lot easier than making something that looks on-par with modern games.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

1:1 voxel recreations of Doom sprites is the only solution

edit: I mean in general, it's the only solution to all our problems

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'krog not understand bang club'

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

1:1 voxel recreations of Doom sprites is the only solution

edit: I mean in general, it's the only solution to all our problems

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
that was an official 3DR attempt that was never released. someone else converted the enemy/duke sprites to voxels and they looked pretty damned good!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Do you follow fracktail?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This looks like poo poo.

That's not hyperbole, it actually looks like a walking pile of poo poo.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm so glad gifsounds and youtube mashups are a thing in this thread

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

JackMackerel posted:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46787 Demonsteele, TS13's newest project, finally has a ZDooM page. It's basically Shadow Warrior 2013, DMC, and Revegenance on cocaine, humping light gun games, especially that one arcade game that relied on a motion control katana.

Dominic White posted:

DemonSteele is pretty rad. Love the arcade style health system, the kill chains and the emphasis on raw, unchecked aggression. In some ways it makes slaughter-style scenarios easier than a handful of plinking little fodder enemies, which feeds into how it's a crazy power trip.

Definitely want to see this one grow and evolve.

Dominic White posted:

Whew. Just played a bit of DemonSteele using the Brutalized Doom 2 remixed maps. Really fun, but also surprisingly exhausting. Maintaining a C or B level combo requires a whole lot of aggressive demon murder in a very short time, and even with frequent dashing around it's easy to lose track of what's going on.

It's super intense and loud and crazy and that's probably the intent, but whew, not something I'd play for more than about 20 minutes at a time.

:kimchi: Awwww, thanks guys! I'm really flattered.

And you're right, that is definitely the intent. It's loud, crazy, and very intense--all of the design comes from the two basic philosophies of "the player should be rewarded for playing harder" and "whatever damage happens to the player should be his own fault".
Successfully attacking grants you more damage to hit harder, which results in better attacks, which results in more damage, and killing enemies with the sword grants you fuel for better sword attacks. Likewise, all enemies now have a windup time to let you know of an incoming attack, even if it's just a subtle one, to let the player know that something is incoming and they should use one of their tools (dodging through projectiles, cutting down projectiles, strafing and taking advantage of a smaller hitbox, armor) to avoid it.
Or if they just want to throw all that out the window, kick back and shoot things, the arcade health system should let them play a bit more relaxed and soak ambushes they'd normally guarantee a death in.

It's a very experimental approach that I'm still feeling out (not 100% on the Archviles and Barons yet), but I'm really eager to flesh it out more and I'm really glad to hear you're liking it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I didn't like the timing on that youtubedoubler so I made this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1iA65iwMQ

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

The voxel pigcop intro is the icing on the goddamn cake

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I played this with the volume muted the first time and I STILL HEARD IT.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

He's actually making that model to make high res sprites from. Later versions look a lot better (but still weird and out of place).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why would you even want different sprites for Doom, the 2.5D FPS with maybe the best sprite work in the history of the genre

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Fag Boy Jim posted:

why would you even want different sprites for Doom, the 2.5D FPS with maybe the best sprite work in the history of the genre

100% truth. All the monsters have distinct silhouettes and colors. You always know exactly what you're up against and they almost never clash with the background.

I love me some DN3D, but it's been 18 (HOLY gently caress) years and I still don't quite know what I'm looking at:

They sure die good though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TerminusEst13 posted:

:kimchi: Awwww, thanks guys! I'm really flattered.

And you're right, that is definitely the intent. It's loud, crazy, and very intense--all of the design comes from the two basic philosophies of "the player should be rewarded for playing harder" and "whatever damage happens to the player should be his own fault".
Successfully attacking grants you more damage to hit harder, which results in better attacks, which results in more damage, and killing enemies with the sword grants you fuel for better sword attacks. Likewise, all enemies now have a windup time to let you know of an incoming attack, even if it's just a subtle one, to let the player know that something is incoming and they should use one of their tools (dodging through projectiles, cutting down projectiles, strafing and taking advantage of a smaller hitbox, armor) to avoid it.
Or if they just want to throw all that out the window, kick back and shoot things, the arcade health system should let them play a bit more relaxed and soak ambushes they'd normally guarantee a death in.

It's a very experimental approach that I'm still feeling out (not 100% on the Archviles and Barons yet), but I'm really eager to flesh it out more and I'm really glad to hear you're liking it.

Awesome work Terminus! I've been waiting for another arcade score attack mod for Doom to go with Reelism. Can't wait to see what else you put into it :)

Anyone else who's tried this, what are some recommend maps?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

100% truth. All the monsters have distinct silhouettes and colors. You always know exactly what you're up against and they almost never clash with the background.

I love me some DN3D, but it's been 18 (HOLY gently caress) years and I still don't quite know what I'm looking at:

They sure die good though.

It's like a cat-alien, isn't it?

Isn't it? :psyduck: I genuinely don't know.

EDIT: Someone should mod in all of the Doom enemies into Duke Nukem 3D. Not just reskinning, but the same behaviour, health, etc. I would love to go up against an army of shotgun zombies with the ripper, or to drop a few 100 pipe bombs on some imps.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You could just use Samsara, since Duke's in that and he plays basically like he does in Duke:3D

edit: also apparently the cat-aliens are supposed to be lizardish things, based on the old concepts and the games with actual 3d models.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 2, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think I recognize the Demonsteele shotgun :angel:

What a great mod, though. It's really insane, but I wish dodging felt a little more natural because it's so important.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's like a cat-alien, isn't it?

Isn't it? :psyduck: I genuinely don't know.

EDIT: Someone should mod in all of the Doom enemies into Duke Nukem 3D. Not just reskinning, but the same behaviour, health, etc. I would love to go up against an army of shotgun zombies with the ripper, or to drop a few 100 pipe bombs on some imps.

Nah they're snakemen lizardmen with exposed brains.

Reminded me of Xcom, so I kinda always got it. Plus I remember when I played duke as a kid I had just read a book about some lizardmen or something with a very similar bad-CG lizardman on the cover, so it read pretty clearly to me. Not nearly as clear as the doom sprites, for sure.

Course Doom sprites were 2D art rotoscoped (I think?) over 3D models which were posed and digitized like stop motion. That looks great but its tons of work. Duke on the other hand just used pictures of CG models, like Donkey Kong Country.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Imp, zombies, and Pinkie were hand pixeled, but all the big monsters and player were made of physical models they stop motioned into sprites.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

all the big monsters and player were made of physical models they stop motioned into sprites.

:allears: I love this method.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Doom's sprites were definitely a step up over the 16-bit era ambiguity. Remember Emperor "Dog" Gestahl from FF6?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bouchacha posted:

Doom's sprites were definitely a step up over the 16-bit era ambiguity. Remember Emperor "Dog" Gestahl from FF6?

That's a hand drawn sprite though, and one fitting in a specific square-enix style that wasn't necessarily technically limited.

Donkey Kong Country was also 16-bit, and compares more directly. They used pictures of pre-rendered CG models like I think Duke did.

That poo poo looked pretty good for its time. (Also kritters were pretty similar to the duke lizardmen) Touching it up by hand obviously looks even better, but its super time consuming.

Another example, also from square, would be Mario RPG:

Which looks pretty drat good.

Mortal Kombat was kinda in-between for digitized and rotoscoped.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 2, 2014

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Bouchacha posted:

I still can't tell what that is supposed to represent if not a dog. I try to imagine the snout is actually a moustache, but then I can't figure out what the floppy ears are supposed to be.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

His hair, the black bit is a very boxy hat.

Pretty accurate representation of the concept art though

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It's hard for me to give the sprite artists poo poo when the character has to be small enough that you can hand-count the pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Man, Yoshitaka Amano's watercolory sketchy art style is so cool, but that is not at all easy to translate to square raster pixels.

Compare that to like Akira Toriyama's concept art which comes out looking the EXACT same in-game.

Chinook posted:

I still can't tell what that is supposed to represent if not a dog. I try to imagine the snout is actually a moustache, but then I can't figure out what the floppy ears are supposed to be.

Its either hair or its a big fluffy jacket collar, like Game of Thrones style.

Gimnbo posted:

It's hard for me to give the sprite artists poo poo when the character has to be small enough that you can hand-count the pixels.

Yeah if you've ever tried to draw super-low-res pixel art you realize its loving impossible. A few artists are really good at the style, but otherwise its really hard to make things look decent.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 2, 2014