Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

Someone made a WAD to fix it, or you can make an ACS script to do the same thing.

Supposedly disabling autosaves and emptying your save directory will also work, but it's a lot more effort.

I was using Lovely Doom, which is incompatible with that WAD, but I did find an old Smooth Doom pistol start wad in buried in my folders. It's old, but it worked :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

This has been planned since 2012 at least, BTW.

Although it's not quite as insane as I had hoped it would be, I was hoping I could stack shitloads of 16-high planes with 16x16 tiles to create basically a crude sort of Minecraftenstein until Blzut3 told me that while it's theoretically possible, it's not remotely feasible to actually make a level like that.

Also I discovered the wonders of the Opus codec recently, which is so efficient that a 48kbps Opus sounds like a 128kbps MP3, so I will probably be able to pack the mod and its soundtrack into a 30 MB pk3 and dispense with the Adlib soundtrack altogether.

That reminds me, whatever happened to that project to recreate every official Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny level into Doom 2 (possibly Zdoom?) format?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Segmentation Fault posted:

I wonder if this wasn't actually the idea behind Doom 2 all along. The maps might've been included just so there's a full game present. It wouldn't be until 16 years after Doom 2 where Valve learned through Alien Swarm that you can't release a mere toolset for video game content without including actual content behind it.

I'd rather play a good Doom 2 map than a great Doom map just because of the fantastic monster variety.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

That reminds me, whatever happened to that project to recreate every official Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny level into Doom 2 (possibly Zdoom?) format?

AFADoomer's TC has been pretty much feature complete for a long time.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4608

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I was using Lovely Doom, which is incompatible with that WAD, but I did find an old Smooth Doom pistol start wad in buried in my folders. It's old, but it worked :v:

You're welcome.

It's really as easy as opening the custom WAD in Slade and finding out what the 'pistol' is called, and then changing the name in that pistol start wad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bouchacha posted:

You're welcome.

It's really as easy as opening the custom WAD in Slade and finding out what the 'pistol' is called, and then changing the name in that pistol start wad.

I knew u got it from this thread, but couldn't remember who from. Thanks!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

titaniumone posted:

The recent derail about mapmaking made me remember making some Quake maps a very long time ago, in QED or Quark.

I never actually finished my Team Fortress map, but I had most of one side completed. Back in those days, was the way to finish a symmetrical map just copy/pasting one side and mirroring it? I feel like it would have been a horror show of fixing leaks and weird geometry problems. Was there a way to do it with a bit more finesse?
AFAIK, that was easily the best way to do it. Still probably is, even in more-modern engines.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Doom WAD with exploration-based gameplay? I loved the levels in the game that had low enemy counts but lots of stuff to check out and secrets to find.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Try Suspended in Dusk.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Two things I maybe remember about Quake, maybe I've made them up:

1. There was some sort of contest to find the secret level in the shareware version, because it was "so well-hidden". Ok, maybe not a contest, but it was a big deal to be the first to find it.

2. I believe it was one of the first games to offer you the full thing for download, and you could pay to unlock beyond the first episode. I remember my friends and I being really impressed by that whole thing; it's like we were so close, but so far away, if we couldn't crack it.

I used to think I was so clever in my youth because I discovered noclip in the console, and then used it to clip through the barriers that shut off the rest of the episodes. Standing on the telepads still did precisely gently caress-all. Nine year-old me was so loving crushed. My old man bought the full game eventually when I whined incessantly.

I also remember moving forward by pushing the mouse forward. :smithicide:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Mak0rz posted:

Pistol starting in ZDoom ... you'd think there'd be an option for it :shrug:

It's a somewhat recently-popular request, as such, I have thrown together an experimental feature after working out the main problem: What the crap do you do with deferred scripts, globals and HUBs (the key reason why ZDoom never did pistol starts)? The answer: Provide All The Options™.

This build has a new option in Miscellaneous Options, "Pistol restart on death", with 4 options:
Never (default), Smart (Uses autosave if global script values or defers exist or in a HUB), Not in HUBs, and Restart Everything (Always, and regardless of consequences, so basically the "break things" mode). The setting isn't saved in the config, but is kept in saves, so you can have different settings between different games.

Download the test build here. Tell me if there's any problems.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I've got an issue with Doom multiplayer, if anyone has any solutions I would be super thankful.

I'm trying to run Doomrpg with a friend but we keep getting the 'out of sync' error. I'm using the latest GZDoom and the latest DoomRPG release as well as the most recent Doomrpg launcher to start the game, the error comes up after about 15 seconds and the sync is so bad as to be unplayable. I checked and we both have the same version of all these files, originally I thought it might have been a problem with us trying to mix BrutalDoom (shut the hell up) and DoomRPG but after stopping BrutalDoom from loading it still happens. We have also tried using hamachi (which we had to use at first because I didn't port forward), but the same problem.

So anyone know the fix to this problem? Also suggestions for a cool level set to play with doomrpg would be appreciated.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

There are some problems in pre-61-gee09f8c introduced when player prediction was moved around (the inventory bar broke; Thanks D_ProcessEvents()). Does the problem still occur when you use pre-24-g48da2f8 (or switch off player prediction)?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

There are some problems in pre-61-gee09f8c introduced when player prediction was moved around (the inventory bar broke; Thanks D_ProcessEvents()). Does the problem still occur when you use pre-24-g48da2f8 (or switch off player prediction)?

Nah I tried all of those things and nothing worked, we are going to try again tomorrow so if anyone has some more solutions.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Suppose I'll whip up a debug build to check common issues. Usually it helps to make sure you are loading all of the exact same things, but this is never checked by ZDoom itself, including the IWADs, however there is nothing stopping all this from being hashed and outputted at least, which honestly I should have done a long time ago.

In the off chance that one of you have put in something silly and forgotten about it, add "-noautoload" on both ends (The DoomRPG launcher has an "additional commands" box).

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 1, 2014

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

Those are are enemies in the sense that the exploding barrels and nukage in Doom are enemies.

Those are both avoidable, static environmental hazards whereas all the wildlife in FC3 is AI-controlled and often hunts in packs. Just because they don't all have projectile attacks doesn't mean they're not genuine enemies.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Convex posted:

Those are both avoidable, static environmental hazards whereas all the wildlife in FC3 is AI-controlled and often hunts in packs. Just because they don't all have projectile attacks doesn't mean they're not genuine enemies.

I was killed by loving cassowaries more than the human enemies.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

I'd install Aleph One just to play a map that went completely fuckballs insane with the 5D space, or any other early FPS map that does similar things. To hell with rational geometry, I want to see the eldritch architecture of R'lyeh in all its impossibly convoluted glory!

It's used sparingly in singleplayer, but a bunch of multiplayer maps go nuts with it; the one with the highest density of impossible geometry is probably "5-D Space" itself.

One thing Marathon has going for it is a large library of high quality full length fan campaigns, and some of those make more extensive use of it; Rubicon X and (I've heard) Marathon Evil both lean more heavily on it than the Bungie levels do. I don't know of any Lovecraft-inspired level sets - apart from the fact that Marathon itself has always had a bit of Lovecraft flavor - but now that you mention it, that's an odd lack.

Of course, this still leaves you with the problem of A1 being poo poo and the developers turbogrognards. I've occasionally wondered how hard it would be to port it to another engine, especially since writing a map converter sounds like more fun than forking A1, but it would have to be something with robust support for overlapping sectors and I don't think even gzDoom is there yet. You could probably fake it really well in Unreal - I remember the wheel of time game doing things with portals that were indistinguishable from 5D - but automatic map conversion there might be intractable.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

You could probably fake it really well in Unreal - I remember the wheel of time game doing things with portals that were indistinguishable from 5D - but automatic map conversion there might be intractable.

Marathon 1 actually was remade in Unreal Tournament: http://www.moddb.com/mods/marathon-resurrection

Unfortunately development died after the first release so it's pretty unfinished and has a bunch of imbalances and bugs (the biggest being that the exit of one of the last levels is impossible to reach without cheats or exploits).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They made a second release, I thought they hit most of those bugs in 2.0?

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Oh, looking at the news it seems the full release I played was 2.0, unfortunately it still has some major issues, like the one I mentioned. Another thing I recall is that the hitscan/fast projectile enemies go from mostly being annoyances to completely murdering you, which gets ridiculous when you mostly face them in the same numbers as the original game (where strength in numbers was all they really had).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Stupid question but does anyone know off hand if Chocolate Doom plays some of the more modern mods like Brutal Doom?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Anything in a pk3 or pk7 file basically requires Zdoom and friends. Many wad packaged mods will run in Chocolate Doom, but anything with major gameplay changes will require at the least Boom. Hell, some fancier levels won't work in Chocolate Doom, since it's not a limit removing port.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 1, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Ahh thought so, thanks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Definitely a silly question, given the clashing mission statements - one sets out to change as much as possible to turn Doom the game into Doom the comic, the other sets out to change as little about the vanilla game as possible.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Anything in a pk3 or pk7 file basically requires Zdoom and friends. Many wad packaged mods will run in Chocolate Doom, but anything with major gameplay changes will require at the least Boom. Hell, some fancier levels won't work in Chocolate Doom, since it's not a limit removing port.

There's a couple Chocolate Doom branches like Strawberry Port and Doom Retro that have a similar goal as Chocolate Doom but have larger limits.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I just got Chocolate Doom running on a little Raspberry Pi & LCD and was curious if it could do Brutal Doom too. I doubt zdoom or others would work, at least with this LCD since it doesn't work with GPU accelerated graphics.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Hurt me plenty... at 2.8"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zdoom is actually a software renderer port still, and it does work on the Raspberry Pi; but you have to make a custom compiled version that replaces fmod with openAL.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of source ports, a question: I've been using Zandronum so far since I like not rebooting into Windows to shoot imps, and it was the first port I saw an OS X version for. I poked at ZDoom a bit last night, and there are builds of it for OS X, but there are no GZDoom builds for OS X. Are there some WADs that use only GZDoom (say stuff like Winter's Edge or whatever it is with really big graphical emphasis), or GZDoom more of just a graphical upgrade with little game effects?

And two more!

2) How do you find out what source ports a WAD is compatible with? Do they usually come with a readme or is it on their page or something? What about gameplay changes - like jumping or free aiming? I have to admit I'm growing to like the tight feel of Doom without jumping or vertical aiming, so I'd rather just keep it that way unless a WAD needs something else.

3) Was crouching part of the original controls for Doom? There was a dead-end passage in TNT's MAP31 I couldn't enter without crouching, so I wasn't sure if it was just for aesthetic purposes or an actual gameplay thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

Speaking of source ports, a question: I've been using Zandronum so far since I like not rebooting into Windows to shoot imps, and it was the first port I saw an OS X version for. I poked at ZDoom a bit last night, and there are builds of it for OS X, but there are no GZDoom builds for OS X. Are there some WADs that use only GZDoom (say stuff like Winter's Edge or whatever it is with really big graphical emphasis), or GZDoom more of just a graphical upgrade with little game effects?
GZDoom adds 3D models support, GL lighting and removes pallete restrictions on graphics. Anything using GZDoom should work under ZDoom, but it'll probably run a bit worse and look a bit ugly.

Arivia posted:

2) How do you find out what source ports a WAD is compatible with? Do they usually come with a readme or is it on their page or something? What about gameplay changes - like jumping or free aiming? I have to admit I'm growing to like the tight feel of Doom without jumping or vertical aiming, so I'd rather just keep it that way unless a WAD needs something else.
Most mods will say what port they target either on their download page or in their readme files. If a mod targets vanilla Doom or Boom, it's fair to say jumping is technically cheating, but who cares as long as you're having fun, right? Some maps can use ZDoom functions to disable jumping and ducking if the mapper feels really strongly about this (or if they don't want to deal with bug reports from bunny-hoppers breaking the map by bypassing triggers or key doors! :v:)

Free aiming doesn't matter so much, since vanilla Doom already had vertical autoaim. Go berserk.

Arivia posted:

3) Was crouching part of the original controls for Doom? There was a dead-end passage in TNT's MAP31 I couldn't enter without crouching, so I wasn't sure if it was just for aesthetic purposes or an actual gameplay thing.
Ducking was added by ZDoom. Again, technically cheating and can break maps that it wasn't designed for. Again, do whatever you want.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

And two more!

I'm not 100% on if GZDoom and ZDoom maintain feature parity or not.

2. Usually the author will say what they tested on. Varies from author to author though. Gameplay changes are sourceport only and mods can enable it if they want. Most keep jumping disabled though G/ZDoom start with free aiming enabled I believe.

3. Crouching is a source port addition. Not intended to be used as I think most monsters can't handle it properly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The biggest and best change GZdoom has over regular ZDoom is that mouse look doesn't distort the screen and make me feel sick. For crouching and jumping, most maps aren't meant to be played with them and newer wads will include a mapinfo lump that tells ZDoom to turn jumping/crouching on or off. Mouselook is entirely a personal choice, though you can enable smart autoaim to duplicate the original behavior and still free look.

It's worth mentioning as well that Zandronum is basically ZDoom with less garbage netcode.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arivia posted:

No. If there's no way to get through a low passage(and you're supposed to be able to get through it), you can use a rocket to kill yourself while sending your corpse through the low part into an exit sector. This does finish the level, but you're pistol starting for the next one.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

but there are no GZDoom builds for OS X

errr http://alexey-lysiuk.github.io/gzdoom/ is the first result for gzdoom os x for me. It lags a little behind the main GZDoom releases but it works fine for me. It's my main source of doomage on mac.

EDIT: I should clarify that it's just the binary releases that lag - if you look on github you can see that the actual source is up to date with GZDoom's

Elliotw2 posted:

It's worth mentioning as well that Zandronum is basically ooooooooold ZDoom with less (but still very) garbage netcode.

FTFY.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 1, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Speaking of alternate OSes, are there still no good Linux launchers in the vein of ZDL?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mman posted:

Marathon 1 actually was remade in Unreal Tournament: http://www.moddb.com/mods/marathon-resurrection

Unfortunately development died after the first release so it's pretty unfinished and has a bunch of imbalances and bugs (the biggest being that the exit of one of the last levels is impossible to reach without cheats or exploits).

Oh yeah, I remember reading about that shortly after it was announced and then reading it again once it was released and hearing it was a trainwreck and losing interest. :(

It also looks like they were going more for a "light remake", whereas I was thinking more along the lines of a straight, ideally mostly automatically generated, port into another engine. None of this let's-do-models-for-everything feature creep, just "hey let's have Marathon in an engine with working mouselook".

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Adventures of Square is better than Wrack and that's probably all you need to know.

Edit: This is an aggressively un-fun game. Holy poo poo.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 1, 2014

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh yeah, I remember reading about that shortly after it was announced and then reading it again once it was released and hearing it was a trainwreck and losing interest. :(

It also looks like they were going more for a "light remake", whereas I was thinking more along the lines of a straight, ideally mostly automatically generated, port into another engine. None of this let's-do-models-for-everything feature creep, just "hey let's have Marathon in an engine with working mouselook".

I enjoyed it, but, yeah, I ran into those same problems described. I thought it was just me having zero sense of direction, but I eventually had to noclip out.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46787 Demonsteele, TS13's newest project, finally has a ZDooM page. It's basically Shadow Warrior 2013, DMC, and Revegenance on cocaine, humping light gun games, especially that one arcade game that relied on a motion control katana.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DemonSteele is pretty rad. Love the arcade style health system, the kill chains and the emphasis on raw, unchecked aggression. In some ways it makes slaughter-style scenarios easier than a handful of plinking little fodder enemies, which feeds into how it's a crazy power trip.

Definitely want to see this one grow and evolve.