Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Oath Complete!

Group photo

Kaya, who got cut up and adjusted for the jurnal

Krueger

I tried some designs on his cape, I like the bottom one but the rest are pretty much just squiggly lines

Shifting Stones

Bloodtrackers, with the other cut and swapped arm

Gallows Grove

My lightbox has been neglected, the pictures are rushed and I think I just ran out of steam somewhere in the middle of the month. I pushed through but this is definitely not my best stuff. Still, I like how Krueger's cape came out and I don't think I would have even tried messing around with painting details like that without being inspired by some amazing work in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Oath complete.

Honestly not too happy with how this one turned out. Had trouble making my legion scheme really work with her, and the cast on the upper torso is really shallow detail-wise. Freehand on the wings was a last minute "this needs something more interesting", and I'm pretty okay with how to looks, but it's pretty obvious the chronological progression of my working on it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't really say one way or the other about your Legion scheme, but that base is gold standard.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

I've been various levels of unwell this week, and my hands stubbornly refused to stop shaking completely so there's quite a few bits I'm less than happy with. But! I've got the cut-and-swapped translucent flame for the Jurnal with an attempt at subtle OSL, a gold and purple Freikorps like I wanted, and my bf said it looks "cel shaded" and "cool" so I'm happy overall.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My god these pictures are going to be bad (thanks indoor lighting past midnight), but Oath Complete!

As for my jurnal chop shop, that Treeman Ancient has a secret.

He is actually multiple models! Fiendish!

But what of the old-school treeman, now blighted and lost beneath the shadow of its new and fresh plastic usurper? Well, every tree has its place in the forest, and old Billy, formerly the Unpainted Menace of many a game, has found a new and proper home.

As unit filler for a budding horde of dryads. :unsmith:

I will probably take better pictures as light becomes available.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete

Claiming jurnal for the arm repositioning as detailed in my original oath post.

Pyrolocutus posted:

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Legion of Everblight Strider Deathstalker solo from from the Privateer Press Hordes line for the month of September.

I plan to fulfill the jurnal by cutting the Deathstalker's sword arm off at the elbow and reattaching it such that the Deathstalker is holding it sideways (normally the sword arm is part of the body piece, see http://store.privateerpress.com/striderdeathstalkerbody.aspx ).

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Oath Complete!

Here are the 30 marines that I painted.

These models were a hodgepodge of leftover, orphan, horrible ebay surprises, and 3rd party bitz. I stripped and converted a bunch of marines when I was a dumb kid, and even managed to pull enough paint off some marines that were slathered in housepaint and some that came with Melty Marine

My oath addition can be seen here:

Genestealer:

Doorframes:

I would like to claim a Speed Paint and Box Art for thy tyranid.

Box art HERE.

Bonus picture of me painting some marines in 1998, which have now been cut up and repainted as Iron hands!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
OATH FAILED, I've been crazy busy this month so it was to be expected. I know there's still several hours until deadline, but I'm on train right now and will be spending the next few days with limited internet access. I'll try to save the whales next month and will gladly accept an oath breaker avatar.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Hypnostache posted:

will gladly accept an oath breaker avatar.

Luckily for you, there's no more Oathbreaker avatars being handed out! (unless someone wants to make them)

You've got 3 and a quarter hours remaining! Get those Oaths in!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

First, the jurnal, an Iosan Gun Mage cut and swapped from a crossbow wielder.

Raluk Moorclaw

Calandra

Helga

King Starfire

Gobber Tinker

Great Bears

Kayazy

Jaga Jaga

Lylyth

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
OATH COMPLETE

Heck, basecoating can be a drag sometimes. I didn't think I'd finish it today 'cause it took so dang long.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:duckie: OATH COMPLETE :duckie:

Boomstick

Mortar Team

Nexus Psi strain Plague team is almost complete

I rolled a 6 Objective Markers, going for a Necron-cum-Tron theme there

Themed Group French Frigates and Corvettes, the fleet grows!

Journal The custom crew chiefs made from Guardian bodies, War Walker heads and Dire Avenger weapons, they go unbased in the back of wave serpents. I even tried some blended NMM on the sword! I think it worked

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Welp, Oath Failed for September. I oathed late and then my girlfriend broke up with me that weekend, so I was hella not in the mood for painting. Ah well, I'll add that mini to what I do for October.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
(strange bleep-bloop-beep and whooshing noises)

Oi! Wotz all dis, den!?

Shut up, you!

Oo's zat?? Oi cahnt see a fing, me!

My name...is Sister Marghouliz. And you will shut up!

Oy'm not gonna shaddup! You tell me wotz gahn-an!

You have been taken from the Inquisitor you have been serving, ORK. You will tell us what you know of him.

You'se a new one! OO AR YA?! Wot you gonna do to me!??

We shall rip you limb from limb if you do not tell us what we want to know...

oh noes!

...and you will pass a message to your Inquisitor as well...

Wot you want me to say?!?

Tell Inquisitor Tramador that the Charitismus Chapter of the Sisters of-

Enough! He doesn't need to know that much. Just tell the Inquisitor this...

(muffled whispers)

This month's theme, AKA the INQUISITOR'S JOURNAL:
We've done pink for October the last few years, so let's open the gates to more charities! Paint part of your model in the 'official' color or with some snazzy-colored ribbon representing the charity of your choice, and tell us with your Oath Complete picture what charity you're repping!

Maybe you want to stick with pink for Breast Cancer Awareness? Maybe you want to stick a big brown moustache logo on a shoulder pad for Movember? Or maybe you want to go against the flow and stick with a yellow wristband for Livestrong? It doesn't matter, just paint up part of your model in a catchy color and tell us what charity you're 'raising awareness' for! (we stuck with pink for the color because pink does NOT go with green - or Mr. Green, for that matter!)

For extra Internet Coolness Points (but not Oath Thread points), you can make a donation to your chosen charity! Extra EXTRA points if you in some way model an ice bucket challenge! (again, not real Oath Thread points)

Completing the Inquisitor's Journal gives you an easy point, so if you want to be in the running for Grand Prizes at the end of Season 5, you'll be wanting every point you can get!

ALSO, the judges will each be deciding who's done the Journal in the most unique and creative way and EACH judge will be giving a point for their top pick, so that's a potential 3 extra points just waiting for you!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath Tom from Urban Mammoth (28mm), a cyclops shaman from PP, and a seed soldier from Corvus Belli for the month of October

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath Tom from Urban Mammoth (28mm), a cyclops shaman from PP, and a seed soldier from Corvus Belli for the month of October

Accepted!

Also, I realize that this Journal may be considered 'easy' or whatever, but remember the point of the Journal is mainly to do something different every month and have a bit of fun, maybe change things up from time to time. Also, recently we've had a few new folks drop in and I don't want to turn people away with complex rituals or requirements (there's enough of that already). The really technical painters or pointschasers can attempt to woo the judges for those precious points by doing something really cool, unique and creative with whatever the Journal is :)

The second thing, and specific to this month's Journal is that after the hoo-hah about the big Breast Cancer Awareness charity in recent years (just google 'Breast Cancer Awareness controversy') and people's reactions to the Ice Bucket Challenge stuff, I thought, hey, why not change up the charity and make it for whatever cause you believe in? So...cat rescues, the homeless, food banks, the environment, endangered trust fund babies, whatever - pick your charity (if you want) and have at it :)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What exact definition of charity is the journal using? Could I do something for a group that's primarily about activism rather than just funneling money to practical ends? Just curious; I haven't come near settling on something yet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Activism is fine too, I don't want to have to judge what's a charity and what isn't!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
* begins pondering how to work the colours of the charity we had donations to as wedding presents into his next oath.

*begins to ponder what to paint for his next oath full stop

*arg.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

krushgroove posted:

Activism is fine too, I don't want to have to judge what's a charity and what isn't!

I figured it'd be laid back about it but I'm the sort that likes to make sure. :v: Thanks!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, oath one Leman Russ Exterminator and 5 Assault Marines by Games Workshop for the game of Warhammer 40,000 for the month of October

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

I, SRM, oath one Leman Russ Exterminator and 5 Assault Marines by Games Workshop for the game of Warhammer 40,000 for the month of October

Oath Accepted!

Also I didn't reply to your email (sorry) but the artwork is fantastic :) Folks, this guy pumps out great drawings every month with no reminders, month after month...for what, is this the third Oath Thread you've provided art for? Great stuff :) You'll have to fly over to Warhammer World sometime so we can have a game!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire. This is a Warmachine Mercenary character solo from Privateer Press.

Current plan is to do the cloaks in pink.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I, Under 15, oath the following models for October:

15 Night Goblins
2 Night Goblin Big Bosses
3 Night Goblin Shamans
1 Night Goblin Warboss
2 Orc Boyz
1 Rat ogre orc monster thing

May add more, feeling like this will be a productive month!

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Sucks that I have to do it, but Oath Failed! Start of the month, I was all gung-ho, and then we broke into microfilm at work which sapped my will to focus on anything with my eyes after work. Welp!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

Oath Accepted!

Also I didn't reply to your email (sorry) but the artwork is fantastic :) Folks, this guy pumps out great drawings every month with no reminders, month after month...for what, is this the third Oath Thread you've provided art for? Great stuff :) You'll have to fly over to Warhammer World sometime so we can have a game!
Thank you! It's always a pleasure to do the art for these threads, even if sometimes it's at 11:50 the night before it's due. This is the third time, but I'm having more fun with it than I have with any of the other ones!

Warhammer World is honestly somewhere I'd really love to go as kind of a nerd Mecca, but flying to the UK is a little tough to justify financially right now. If I ever am so fortunate to fly out there, I'll be hitting up the ham threads like crazy to get games in with as many UKgoons as possible!

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
Sadly I must declare oath failed. About 90% completed but with stuff coming up at work and a trip back home I just did not quite manage to finish up. Oh well, time to save some whales...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, Oath for the month of October 1 Bretonnian Knight by GW, and 6 Cygnar Rangers by Privateer Press

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I, lovestick, do oath for the month of October 7 Space Hulk genestealers by Citadel and ONE 4x6 gaming table!

The genestealers:

The table, split in 2x4 sections:

Let me know if you want more pictures of the table, I plan on adding texture and painting one side.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Octobers Oath

I took the photo yesterday, but couldn't find the cable for my camera until now. (sorry the date is hard to read. Camera!)

This month I'm back to 6mm Napoleonics, with 192 French Line infantry, 48 Light infantry and 45 Hussars. As normal, you may want to take my word on this one.....

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I oath for October: 2 Optifex, Herald of Vulcanis, a Chovar Psychic, Typhon, and Brun Cragback and Lug.
The Herald is Soda Pop, Chovar is Mantic, everything else is Privateer Press

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Red Shoe posted:

a Chovar Psychic

Good to see the little fella again :shobon:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

NTRabbit posted:

Good to see the little fella again :shobon:

I've been looking forward to that space jelly.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I oath for October, one clockwork dragon by Reaper

Thanks for opening the monthly theme to any charity! My sister in law wanted me to paint this for her tattoo parlor since it's got 'dragon' in it's name but the basing stumped me for the longest time. They do a monthly drive once a year where 10% of every tattoo goes towards charity, so using their symbol for a base should work well and be personalized for them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath 3 Plague Worms. From Descent 2. Edition by FFG.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pyrolocutus posted:

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire. This is a Warmachine Mercenary character solo from Privateer Press.

Current plan is to do the cloaks in pink.

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, oath the following models for October:

15 Night Goblins
2 Night Goblin Big Bosses
3 Night Goblin Shamans
1 Night Goblin Warboss
2 Orc Boyz
1 Rat ogre orc monster thing

Pash posted:

I, Pash, Oath for the month of October 1 Bretonnian Knight by GW, and 6 Cygnar Rangers by Privateer Press

lovestick posted:

I, lovestick, do oath for the month of October 7 Space Hulk genestealers by Citadel and ONE 4x6 gaming table!
Let me know if you want more pictures of the table, I plan on adding texture and painting one side.
I think you're OK!

Grey Hunter posted:

Octobers Oath

This month I'm back to 6mm Napoleonics, with 192 French Line infantry, 48 Light infantry and 45 Hussars. As normal, you may want to take my word on this one.....

Red Shoe posted:

I oath for October: 2 Optifex, Herald of Vulcanis, a Chovar Psychic, Typhon, and Brun Cragback and Lug.
The Herald is Soda Pop, Chovar is Mantic, everything else is Privateer Press

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I oath for October, one clockwork dragon by Reaper

Thanks for opening the monthly theme to any charity! My sister in law wanted me to paint this for her tattoo parlor since it's got 'dragon' in it's name but the basing stumped me for the longest time. They do a monthly drive once a year where 10% of every tattoo goes towards charity, so using their symbol for a base should work well and be personalized for them.
Perfect!!

Electric Hobo posted:

I, Electric Hobo, oath 3 Plague Worms. From Descent 2. Edition by FFG.

Oaths Accepted!

SRM posted:

Warhammer World is honestly somewhere I'd really love to go as kind of a nerd Mecca, but flying to the UK is a little tough to justify financially right now. If I ever am so fortunate to fly out there, I'll be hitting up the ham threads like crazy to get games in with as many UKgoons as possible!

Just catch a lift with Ghost Hand ;)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I, Icon of Sin oath to paint these 5 Tempestus Scions and their Chimera for October. They're all from Games Workshop, 28mm scale.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:horse:AUGUST JUDGEMENT:horse:

1 Point - Zark the Damned

Totally brilliant. This model is a treat. The shading is very deep and graphic, and the tiny pinpoint highlights on his shield and suit make him look like the sparkling (or glistening?) hero he is. The face seals the deal. My goodness. He looks like a neighbor I used to have, clearly pretty jazzed to possess the superpowers necessary to kick the kids off his lawn in rare style. He knows he's incredible, and that makes him feel very happy indeed.

2 Points - Gareth Gobulcoque

Well, you've done it again. Please don't ever get sick of painting tiny boats. That is such a nice green gradient on the sails of the elf ship. Every detail has been accounted for with impressively few colors, which makes the surrounding dragons feel equally important. The tomb ship is very different, looking appropriately regal and suggestive of a warm climate whilst the obsidian areas provide the menace necessary for portraying evil seafaring mummies. The triangle patterns are great, and the subtly different yellow in the pyramid might be my favorite part of that model.

3 Points - Red Shoe

Absolutely loving the subdued palette on your work this month. The saturation levels are dialed way back on almost everything, which makes the few saturated colors jump out in a really natural way. There's still a lot of good contrast, though. The cool grey armor and tan cloth combo might be my favorite example, pretty nice that the whole group's scheme is set up around that. The fella above is my overall top pick, though. The depth of his skin is wonderful. There are quite a lot of colors on him, but they hang together in a sort of casual way that suits the model, once again aided by the restrained saturation.

Bonus Jurnal Point - JerryLee

A very fine example of a totally monochromatic scheme that doesn't look like it's just a model painted a color, if you know what I mean. It's helped out by the base, but also the shading on him suggests reflection convincingly enough to give you an idea of what kind of world or lighting situation he's in. The color choice is excellent, too.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

krushgroove posted:

Luckily for you, there's no more Oathbreaker avatars being handed out! (unless someone wants to make them)

:aaa:

In that case I think I'll scour the unspiration thread for a new avatar. It's the first failure in the 18 or so months of oathing that I've done, I feel I need something to remind me of not doing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for October
  • 4x Marteau bombards, 4x R-4 Medium mortars, 2x L'Arman heavy tanks and 2x Grele flak tanks for Dystopian Wars by Spartan (1:1200)
  • 4x Warp Spiders and 1x Warp Spider Exarch for 40k by GW (28mm)
  • 1x Marauder Stuntbot for Deadzone/Warpath by Mantic (28mm)
  • 1x Shipping Container by Underground Lasers (28mm)

This is... this is already one of those months. Hoping the Mead, subsequent drinks and painting keep me above water. I may need to Oath Addition.

• Locked thread