Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

That hasn't been confirmed.

Only one source leaked it (with everyone else just echoing them) and they've got a high failure rate so we really have no idea.

EDIT: \/ I was just clarifying.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mokinokaro posted:

Only one source leaked it (with everyone else just echoing them) and they've got a high failure rate so we really have no idea.

...Exactly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm really really hoping for a Remembrance reference tonight.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

PriorMarcus posted:

That hasn't been confirmed.

But they've already cast her replacement!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Wolfechu posted:

Whose that? It looks like someone baked her!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Whose that? It looks like someone baked her!

Katy Manning. So either Jo Grant or Iris Wildthyme, take your pick.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's something very unsettling about her face.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

For comparison:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Dabir posted:

There's something very unsettling about her face.

I got to know her cousin at a conference a couple years back (he's a history professor); he adores her, but said that sadly she's had some terrible plastic surgery over the years :smith:.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Wolfechu posted:

Does he have some string that holds his jacket open for him

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looke posted:

Does he have some string that holds his jacket open for him

Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey string.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wolfechu posted:

Wolfechu posted:

For comparison:

Well that's amazing.

Is she actually going to be in an episode? Or did they just do the earlier shot when she was visiting the set or something?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm too lazy to check if they're one of the more reputable ones, but a spoilerhound is saying that Missy and Seb (Chris Addison) are part of an organization that abducts people near death and offers them eternal life. Through cyber-conversion.

Makes sense with what we know so far. I'd assume the fried police hand was a cop out of some sort.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Makes sense with what we know so far. I'd assume the fried police hand was a cop out of some sort.

Right, I'll pin him, who wants to deliver the swirly?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HD DAD posted:

I'm too lazy to check if they're one of the more reputable ones, but a spoilerhound is saying that Missy and Seb (Chris Addison) are part of an organization that abducts people near death and offers them eternal life. Through cyber-conversion.

Kinda funny that the first person we saw abducted was a cyborg then.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Everyone's favorite character of the revival is coming back.

The orange space suit!!

Also a really gaunt looking Al Pacino.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Harlock posted:

Everyone's favorite character of the revival is coming back.

The orange space suit!!

Also a really gaunt looking Al Pacino.

It's a terrible error that Orson Pink's orange spacesuit had the Sanctuary Base 6 patch still on it (when it shouldn't), but Capaldi's (which is the only spacesuit that should) doesn't.

Edit: also the Moonbase (:haw:) team's suits are very influenced by Alien. Very apt considering the story.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 2, 2014

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh man please replace that tired old orange suit with one of those badass Alien/A7 suits.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Reusing poo poo is a time-honored genre fiction tradition and I'm pretty sure Doctor Who is the record holder for it, why stop now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Mummy on the Orient Express is getting disappointingly "meh" advanced reviews.

Although the countdown timer that appears on screen every time someone sees the mummy sounds interesting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Any word on if missy appears in it?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
None that I've heard of. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see her again until Dark Water.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interestingly Clara isn't in any of the promo photos.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They didn't put her in the cast list either, but she's there. The BBC decided last minute to change the synopses to not include Clara to ramp up the tension after their fight. But you can see her dressed as a flapper girl briefly in one of the promos.

e: I take it back, one more review popped up claiming it's excellent.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 7, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Mummy on the Orient Express is getting disappointingly "meh" advanced reviews.

Although the countdown timer that appears on screen every time someone sees the mummy sounds interesting.

Considering every single advanced review for Doctor Who I've ever seen has always been "amazing great unbelievably genre-changing brilliance!" it must be pretty dire.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Or pretty good since those people have been 100% wrong so far.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dabir posted:

Or pretty good since those people have been 100% wrong so far.

This episode has gotten the most positive reception upon airing so basically whoever those reviewers are pretty much assholes.

Also there's the full lounge version of don't stop me now which has spoilers for future episodes but besides the Cybermen marching around I don't remember which ones are or aren't. Tt can't really be discussed in the non spoiler thread, anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So in the trailer for Next Time... there's a bus, with an advert on the side for popular children's TV show, Doctor Who:

Combine that with the girl in the red and the wolf.. Return to the Land of Fiction anyone?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

So in the trailer for Next Time... there's a bus, with an advert on the side for popular children's TV show, Doctor Who:

Combine that with the girl in the red and the wolf.. Return to the Land of Fiction anyone?

Oh no. Missy is LITERALLY a fan of the TV show isn't she?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think that would be it for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

I think that would be it for me.

Me too. That's just going past meta to dumb.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

It would explain how she could see Clara as if it was on television on her iPad, oh no...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God I just started liking this season no please

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

david... posted:

It would explain how she could see Clara as if it was on television on her iPad, oh no...

Missy is just using the power of iPlayer.

Chris Addison? He's playing the writer, a thinly veiled Stephen Moffat clone.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm going to keep up hope that it's just an easter egg.

It's not an easter egg, is it? :ohdear:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Every other sci-fi show has done it. "Eerie Indiana" did it over 20 years ago. "Supernatural" did it. I'm kind of surprised it's taken Who 51 years to do it. If that is what's going on.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I heard Supernatural actually managed to pull it off.

I think the problem right now is not that it's necessarily a bad premise, it could work for a one-off episode that doesn't take itself at all seriously. It's that it's incredibly ridiculous idea for the major twist of a season arc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ We do not know that it is, and weren't we told there was going to be a huge reference to a classic story.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Every other sci-fi show has done it. "Eerie Indiana" did it over 20 years ago. "Supernatural" did it. I'm kind of surprised it's taken Who 51 years to do it. If that is what's going on.

Star Trek did it in 1998 in Far Beyond the Stars.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jsor posted:

I heard Supernatural actually managed to pull it off.

I think the problem right now is not that it's necessarily a bad premise, it could work for a one-off episode that doesn't take itself at all seriously. It's that it's incredibly ridiculous idea for the major twist of a season arc.

Supernatural did an amazing job with it actually.

I should note- I am not opposed to this as a stand alone. But if Missy is tied to this or some such...God no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Didn't one of the 8th Doctor books or comics do this, which was its explanation for the Peter Cushing Doctor or something like that? Or maybe my memory is just completely making this up.

• Locked thread