Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I answer the surveys with various forms of, "Waaaaaaaluigi!" I will not rest until waluigi is represented in all Nintendo properties equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm curious, how much might it take to port an older game onto the Wii U online store? Are we talking tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Like, how costly could it be to get Metroid Prime Trilogy on there when it's a Wii game that already plays on Wii U without any extra porting needed?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Exioce posted:

I'm curious, how much might it take to port an older game onto the Wii U online store? Are we talking tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Like, how costly could it be to get Metroid Prime Trilogy on there when it's a Wii game that already plays on Wii U without any extra porting needed?

They'd probably just take the path of least resistance and run another print of the Wii version, since all Wii U systems would be able to play that.

I don't recall seeing any Gamecube or Wii titles remade for Wii U yet, other than Wind Waker.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fremry posted:

I feel like companies spend all this money on customer surveys and do one of two things with them:

1. Ignore all the criticism and view the good ones as validation that they are doing everything correctly. "90% of users rated us as 'great' or better!"

2. Cherry pick the ones that align with what they want to change and use it to bolster the decisions they were going to make regardless of the surveys. "Social media is where the market is going. 25% of users saw something about us on social media, therefore we should focus our time and money on facebook."

Yes, that's pretty much how customer feedback systems work. Companies look to surveys for validation and always find it.

Also, Nintendo clearly isn't reading my essays on how bad the Virtual Console pricing is.

Exioce posted:

The answer is it's complicated.

On an ideal project where the stars are right, the assets are all there, and everything is coded cleanly, a port job like that can go extremely fast. Dump a two man programming team on it to update the necessary things in three or four weeks, a short QA cycle, and your development costs could easily be around fifty to a hundred thousand.

However, video game developers are troublemakers and a quick and dirty port might not be possible. It could wind up being six months of work for a larger team and then you've got a real budget going.

FWIW, the Wii U is in a position where cheap, simple ports should be more possible for it than the PS4 or the Xbone. Nintendo has kept their architecture stable since the GameCube. And there's some games that seem like they would be very easy Wii U ports from a design stand point. Doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be easy, though.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 1, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The comments will probably go straight in the trash, but I can imagine they're really interested in the demographic who's actually spending money. Ages, genders, that poo poo.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guys, I did a not terrible thing.

I may have had too much to drink last night (13% belgian beers are killer).

And this morning I waddle over to my WiiU for hungover mario kart, and I apparently bought Tropical Freeze last night.

I have no memory of this, but at least DrunkMe makes good decisions.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

The lack of Virtual Console titles is really weird because fanboys are basically begging to stuff money in Nintendo's pockets and they're like "Nah, we're good."

If it's anything like the survey work I've done they actually use the quantitative data, but for the open-ended text boxes some poor guy reads through everything, sorts it out and and does a little write-up that his bosses completely ignore.

But what is the quantitative data actually worth in terms of ROI? It's a stupid waste of money, especially when the real worth is in the more detailed opinions of the consumer. It's a view of the consumer base as an amorphous blob rather than a series of individuals that makes these surveys an absolute waste of money and time. If any company took these surveys as a way to fix the top 10 most complained about missing features/issues rather than making "the next best thing", they may actually get a monetary return on it. Every company is trying to be like Apple by creating something that people didn't even know they wanted, instead of doing the smart thing and spending time and money on giving the people what they DO want.

/rant

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Guys, I did a not terrible thing.

I may have had too much to drink last night (13% belgian beers are killer).

And this morning I waddle over to my WiiU for hungover mario kart, and I apparently bought Tropical Freeze last night.

I have no memory of this, but at least DrunkMe makes good decisions.

I've only played one level but it's absolutely charming so far. I liked DKC Returns but found it aesthetically uninteresting and this game doesn't seem like it'll have that problem. Just the opening cutscene left me wanting a way to buy the soundtrack.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

13/f/cali posted:

I've only played one level but it's absolutely charming so far. I liked DKC Returns but found it aesthetically uninteresting and this game doesn't seem like it'll have that problem. Just the opening cutscene left me wanting a way to buy the soundtrack.

I would totally buy the soundtrack to Tropical Freeze. I like being able to listen to some of the level tracks when you beat a world (I think that's how it works?). A full soundtrack would be better though.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Fremry posted:

But what is the quantitative data actually worth in terms of ROI? It's a stupid waste of money, especially when the real worth is in the more detailed opinions of the consumer. It's a view of the consumer base as an amorphous blob rather than a series of individuals that makes these surveys an absolute waste of money and time. If any company took these surveys as a way to fix the top 10 most complained about missing features/issues rather than making "the next best thing", they may actually get a monetary return on it. Every company is trying to be like Apple by creating something that people didn't even know they wanted, instead of doing the smart thing and spending time and money on giving the people what they DO want.

/rant

If the internet has told me anything is that what will save nintendo is bringing out an hd version of the obscure franchise I like.

A lot of people have wants from a company, but it's not always in the company's best interest to follow them.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Shelf Adventure posted:

If the internet has told me anything is that what will save nintendo is bringing out an hd version of the obscure franchise I like.

A lot of people have wants from a company, but it's not always in the company's best interest to follow them.

Really, Nintendo would sell like 100 billion Wii U systems if they just made For the Frog the Bell Tolls U.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
God drat you Nintendo! You know making a full-release Wii U 2D Metroid is the key to your future success!!!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Jsor posted:

Really, Nintendo would sell like 100 billion Wii U systems if they just made For the Frog the Bell Tolls U.

prince of sable's already in smash bros it's BASICALLY already confirmed

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

2) I downloaded the W101 demo a while ago, then deleted it. However, it still shows up on the little slots "minigame" when I launch the eShop. Is there a way to make it stop showing up?

Maybe I'm ignorant about the way the eShop works, but I literally have no idea why this counts as a problem.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

It should still show up in Disk Management in Windows (right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management) regardless of its filesystem. Windows should also do the "USB connected" noise. If it does neither, then...yeah.

Disk Management picks up my external as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized".

I mean at least it's there. I guess that means the external works hunky dory but the Wii U just doesn't want to read it.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Maybe I'm ignorant about the way the eShop works, but I literally have no idea why this counts as a problem.

Well it's super minor but I just don't want it there? I deleted the demo because I don't enjoy the game-- ain't need the eShop reminding me every time I start it up that I played it once.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Kaubocks posted:

Well it's super minor but I just don't want it there? I deleted the demo because I don't enjoy the game-- ain't need the eShop reminding me every time I start it up that I played it once.

holy poo poo dude

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kaubocks posted:

You talking about the screen that is up for like 7 seconds max before you load the eShop? Just close your eyes and yell lalalalalalal until it's gone.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The only real way to get rid of it is to spend hundreds on various titles on the eShop so that there are so many potential images circulating in that minigame that the W101 one would be pretty drat rare.

Alternatively, seek help?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Ok you really are just insane

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Guys, me not liking W101 is nothing new. We've been over this and I've been lambasted about it already. I will (and have) openly admit that I do not find the game enjoyable. I literally just asked out of curiosity if there was possibly a reason why the eShop roulette seemed to think I still have the W101 demo when I deleted it already. I even said it was a dumb question when I originally asked about it.

Now if we could focus on an actual problem like my external hard drive not working with my Wii U, that'd be cooler.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Guys, me not liking W101 is nothing new. We've been over this and I've been lambasted about it already. I will (and have) openly admit that I do not find the game enjoyable. I literally just asked out of curiosity if there was possibly a reason why the eShop roulette seemed to think I still have the W101 demo when I deleted it already. I even said it was a dumb question when I originally asked about it.

Now if we could focus on an actual problem like my external hard drive not working with my Wii U, that'd be cooler.

The eShop roulette probably picks games based on your purchase history so I doubt the W101 demo's going to be leaving that roulette anytime soon.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
My wife just got me DK:Tropical Freeze and Mario 3d world for my birthday.

:allears:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I will use any excuse to put "how about a new Metroid?" into my club nintendo polls.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Hyrule Warriors keeps having disc read errors when I active the Great Fairy's magic circle in the Deku Tree level. Can't get passed it :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Machine posted:

Hyrule Warriors keeps having disc read errors when I active the Great Fairy's magic circle in the Deku Tree level. Can't get passed it :(

Disc copy? Sounds like disc damage, a couple of my Wii games had the same issue with lockups on a particular segment.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Light Gun Man posted:

I will use any excuse to put "how about a new Metroid?" into my club nintendo polls.

Okay! Here's Metroid: Other M HD!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Oxxidation posted:

Disc copy? Sounds like disc damage, a couple of my Wii games had the same issue with lockups on a particular segment.

Yeah, on disc. What's weird is it looks perfectly fine physically. Should I just take it back to Gamestop or what?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Machine posted:

Yeah, on disc. What's weird is it looks perfectly fine physically. Should I just take it back to Gamestop or what?

The last time it happened to me it was a barely noticeable nick that went quite deep into the disc, so it sounds like you might be SOL.

Also the last time it happened it was Sengoku Basara 3, another Musou game. They might be cursed.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Jsor posted:

I would actually unironically love this which says a lot.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RadicalR posted:

Okay! Here's Metroid: Other M HD!

Oh noooooo I was a fool!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

People not liking W101 isn't unheard of.

People being sincerely bothered by fleeting slices of an image of W101 in a loading screen widget for the eShop is, and I must agree that you're being weird and stupid about that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Light Gun Man posted:

Metroid is a game where they can put a stereotypically hot blond woman in a skin tight suit, it has power armor, tons of guns, large worlds to explore, adventuresome gameplay where you find different weapons and upgrades, cool atmosphere and music, and it can work great both as 3D FPS or as a 2D game on a handheld. Other M rightfully killed the series for a while but it's honestly kind of weird that they haven't had a new Metroid game in the works yet given how many boxes the concept ticks off.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nintendo said earlier this year at E3 that they're "planning a future for both 2D and 3D Metroid" but considering they announced a Star Fox game with nothing but a blurred out computer monitor and "hey this poo poo's gonna be rad I swear" I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing anything soon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo said earlier this year at E3 that they're "planning a future for both 2D and 3D Metroid" but considering they announced a Star Fox game with nothing but a blurred out computer monitor and "hey this poo poo's gonna be rad I swear" I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing anything soon.

They did actually give a few journalists the opportunity to play the Starfox game, so we know vaguely what they're going for with that one.

EDIT: Miyamoto also made a point of announcing Starfox U much earlier than usual in order to put pressure on the team to have it done by next E3.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 2, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

Metroid is a game where they can put a stereotypically hot blond woman in a skin tight suit, it has power armor, tons of guns, large worlds to explore, adventuresome gameplay where you find different weapons and upgrades, cool atmosphere and music, and it can work great both as 3D FPS or as a 2D game on a handheld. Other M rightfully killed the series for a while but it's honestly kind of weird that they haven't had a new Metroid game in the works yet given how many boxes the concept ticks off.

What drives me nuts is that it's pretty much Zelda from a different camera angle in a different setting yet Zelda is apparently liked about 2134234234234 times more. I blame OOT, I guess. Clearly there should have been a rad rear end N64 Metroid game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

What drives me nuts is that it's pretty much Zelda from a different camera angle in a different setting yet Zelda is apparently liked about 2134234234234 times more. I blame OOT, I guess. Clearly there should have been a rad rear end N64 Metroid game.

IIRC they actually were going to make an N64 Metroid but it eventually evolved into Metroid Prime. I know they mentioned it in passing before the N64 came out when it was still "Project Reality." So many of Nintendo's GC games began life on the N64 in some way it wouldn't surprise me.

Gamers in general put way too much emphasis on the camera positioning when determining what type of game a game is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Metroid Prime is definitely more Zelda-esque that some of the other games and that's one of the things I dislike about it, to be honest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Metroid Prime is definitely more Zelda-esque that some of the other games and that's one of the things I dislike about it, to be honest.

The teased concept for Skyward Sword that ended up not happening was one of the biggest disappointments of the last generation of gaming for me because it hinted at being more like an older Metroid/Zelda game than the current ones. Though I do really, really, really love Metroid Prime 1 so much. Possibly because I got it on release. There were several revisions of it through its long lifespan and different regions, each one making subtle adjustments to prevent some sequence breaking, remove the secret areas* and so on. In vanilla US Prime 1 you can get the high jump boots immediately after getting your ship and do all kinds of crazy stuff in general.

*It actually has glitched out areas you can fling yourself into in ways not dissimilar to how you would mess with closing doors in the original Metroid. The first Metroid is actually the only Metroid game where doors close on their own after an elapsed amount of time rather than staying open until entered or closing based on your proximity. A change made to prevent people from screwing around and breaking the game too much.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rack posted:

My wife just got me DK:Tropical Freeze and Mario 3d world for my birthday.

:allears:

Congratulations on having a great wife.

13/f/cali posted:

You probably didn't get far enough in returns. Returns had some very dynamic backdrops and let's not forget the creepy crawly levels. :ohdear: TF just kicks it into overdrive and it's so great to look at you'll curse the game for being too hard to be able to appreciate it while playing. :arghfist::( Fortunately I play together with a friend and we don't immediately press the respawn button upon dying allowing us both to appreciate the beauty of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC they actually were going to make an N64 Metroid but it eventually evolved into Metroid Prime. I know they mentioned it in passing before the N64 came out when it was still "Project Reality." So many of Nintendo's GC games began life on the N64 in some way it wouldn't surprise me.

Gamers in general put way too much emphasis on the camera positioning when determining what type of game a game is.

Yeah, I've never heard anyone call Metroid an RPG before, at the very least.

You know what was a cool game? Scurge: Hive. It was like an isometric Metroid, pretty neat. I often see Scourge: Outbreak in my steam library and get excited for a moment before I remember it's a totally unrelated game.

• Locked thread