Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

You're asking me? All I remember is the pirate ship.

Having said that, I seem to remember Kirk and co landing on a planet where everyone was a 50s gangster and another planet that was all densely packed hitlers, so I guess my issue with the holodeck is just laziness? Like, there's enough poo poo in the universe that statistically there must be a planet with nothing but 17th century pirates on it somewhere, they just can't be arsed to look for it.

There were quite a few TOS episodes that were just "We have access to the studio backlot, costumes and props."

But yeah, a big problem with the Federation is that they don't seem to have any actual culture of their own. There's no "modern" music, art, literature or frankly any kind of entertainment at all that isn't just a rehash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

But yeah, a big problem with the Federation is that they don't seem to have any actual culture of their own. There's no "modern" music, art, literature or frankly any kind of entertainment at all that isn't just a rehash.

Makes perfect sense to me, we're already there

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nah, there is, it's just not shown much. One episode of Voyager has the Doctor's holodeck kid listening to Klingon metal. A TOS writer's bible basically said "Don't do too much future poo poo, or the audience can't relate, humans probably won't even look human by this show's era".

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

theironjef posted:

Just the Sisko, whose dedication to a 500 year old sport is incredible. I love that the rules of baseball survived an apocalypse,a cultural dead period, and a eugenics war unchanged. Or maybe they didn't and he's just a weird 20th century purist (who am I kidding, every major character is a weird 20th century afficionado, even the aliens and the robots).

The baseball thing actually is treated as an unusual and obscure interest on the show. Of course all the other humans basically have their own obscure historical interests. I do get what you're saying though. The problem referencing culture from between when the show was written and when it takes place is that it requires you to basically invent a sport, musical genre etc. that is not stupid. It's also a fictional cultural reference so it's essentially meaningless to the audience. Sisko being into baseball, jazz and traditional New Orleans food is just going to be more meaningful than a bunch of made up bullshit.

That TNG clip I posted is basically the stupidest poo poo ever and it's goofiness completely undercuts the drama intended to be in the scene. DS9 had better writing so they avoid that by having the characters be into actual things that have cultural significance to the viewer and tossing in a few lines about how it's an obscure interest here and there. They do whip up the made-up bullshit on occasion but it's usually in light scenes where they can have fun with the absurdity of it.

The show Farscape is about a Human pulled to the other side of the galaxy so outside of that character making references that no one else understands they basically have to make up everything. It's pretty great but it's incredibly disorienting to the viewer. It had/has a really cult following as a result.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pilchenstein posted:

I loved how they'd run out of money for cgi spaceships and just do an episode where everybody was in period costume, loving about on the holodeck. To be fair, if you asked me to describe the plot of an episode, I can't remember a single one except "they dicked about on a pirate ship?" so I guess that one is my favourite. :v:

Isn't the pirate ship actually in Generations? One of the movies, anyway; Worf had been promoted and he was getting hazed by being made to walk the plank on the holodeck.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There were quite a few TOS episodes that were just "We have access to the studio backlot, costumes and props."

Bottle episodes. A good example of these is the Nazi episodes of Voyager.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

Isn't the pirate ship actually in Generations? One of the movies, anyway; Worf had been promoted and he was getting hazed by being made to walk the plank on the holodeck.
It's entirely possible that I actually remember the plot of no episodes then. Unless you count the one where Picard draws a horse playing a saxophone.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They play a lot with Data not understanding emotions or humor, but it always seems weird that he doesn't get what anyone is saying. He speaks every language and has complete knowledge of everything in the magic computer. there's no reason he wouldn't know what some old word means.

Is there anyone that enjoys loving with the holograms? Like loading up Sherlock Holmes but then going "check out my crazy laser gun and tv screens. I'm from the future and you don't exist!" Cause that seems like it would be fun.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Dr_Amazing posted:

They play a lot with Data not understanding emotions or humor, but it always seems weird that he doesn't get what anyone is saying. He speaks every language and has complete knowledge of everything in the magic computer. there's no reason he wouldn't know what some old word means.

I think they did a good job with that, he generally understood the words but not the context they were used in. Someone would bust out a random phrase like 'thats one way to skin a cat' and he'd ask, why would one skin a cat. How is that applicable to a warp core breach.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Pilchenstein posted:

It's entirely possible that I actually remember the plot of no episodes then. Unless you count the one where Picard draws a horse playing a saxophone.

That was Data. Have a playlist.

Edit: God drat it I'm a moron. I was thinking of the football player.

Here's PicArt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jbP1_H9sA

Pidmon has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Oct 2, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Supreme Allah posted:

I think they did a good job with that, he generally understood the words but not the context they were used in. Someone would bust out a random phrase like 'thats one way to skin a cat' and he'd ask, why would one skin a cat. How is that applicable to a warp core breach.

How is it he wasn't programmed with a library of idioms, that's the thing. If nothing else it should have been easy to program him with a subroutine of "if someone says something that sounds like unrelated nonsense, that's probably an idiom. Just ask them what they mean instead of adorably pointing out that there isn't any local water or even a horse to lead to it."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While it might not be reasonable for Data to learn every species' idioms it's goddamn stupid to not teach/program English ones into him. There's also the problem that by TNG it's not like he's just been turned on, he'd been active for quite a while and still acted like he had no clue as to simple conventions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stupid as it may be, it was an explained plot point that Soong intentionally made Data "roboty" and autistic. He cannot say contractions because he was made that way. Not understanding idioms is like the unrealistic skin and eyes - Soong could do all those things, and did, just not with Data.

Don't get me started with B4.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

also the problem that by TNG it's not like he's just been turned on, he'd been active for quite a while and still acted like he had no clue as to simple conventions.

Yeah, you'd think by the time he'd graduated the Academy he would have crossed most of those bridges, especially the whole 'is he property?' thing. It's hard to believe Starfleet would accept, graduate, and promote someone/thing before ever considering whether or not it was their property. Though it is possible he ran through the entire curriculum in two hours and the guy who was incharge of his file got stuck in a time loop or alternate dimension. That probably happens a lot.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Aggressive pricing posted:

Yeah, you'd think by the time he'd graduated the Academy he would have crossed most of those bridges, especially the whole 'is he property?' thing. It's hard to believe Starfleet would accept, graduate, and promote someone/thing before ever considering whether or not it was their property. Though it is possible he ran through the entire curriculum in two hours and the guy who was incharge of his file got stuck in a time loop or alternate dimension. That probably happens a lot.

The show seems to always show that everyone in Starfleet not on the USS Enterprise is a total moron or a power thirsty war monger. There is nothing besides those.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kazil posted:

The show seems to always show that everyone in Starfleet not on the USS Enterprise is a total moron or a power thirsty war monger. There is nothing besides those.

gently caress you Admiral Nechayev was cool, and that other admiral was only power hungry because he had a mindcontrol cockroach in his brainstem (and got his head blown up for that)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

While it might not be reasonable for Data to learn every species' idioms it's goddamn stupid to not teach/program English ones into him. There's also the problem that by TNG it's not like he's just been turned on, he'd been active for quite a while and still acted like he had no clue as to simple conventions.

Apparently people were just treating him as a dumb machine (like the ship's computer) before he got onboard the enterprise.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Where is pretty weird on it's own since Starfleet has like 50 different aliens, and they keep running into living rocks, intelligent slime and talking blackholes. A robot that has trouble with contractions shouldn't be that hard to relate too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is there anyone that enjoys loving with the holograms? Like loading up Sherlock Holmes but then going "check out my crazy laser gun and tv screens. I'm from the future and you don't exist!" Cause that seems like it would be fun.

They literally did exactly that episode. Moriarty worked out what was going on and took over the holodeck because they asked the computer to make a suitable opponent for Data (who was playing Holmes), who was basically going into all the Holmes simulations and calling them within seconds of seeing the body, or some poo poo.

The computer could literally create, on demand, in a few seconds, a programme more advanced and intelligent than the basically-magic android, which was powerful enough that the computer then *lost the ability to shut it down*.

Sometimes the Star Trek writers were so loving lazy.;

Didn't stop me watching though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thespaceinvader posted:

They literally did exactly that episode. Moriarty worked out what was going on and took over the holodeck because they asked the computer to make a suitable opponent for Data (who was playing Holmes), who was basically going into all the Holmes simulations and calling them within seconds of seeing the body, or some poo poo.

The computer could literally create, on demand, in a few seconds, a programme more advanced and intelligent than the basically-magic android, which was powerful enough that the computer then *lost the ability to shut it down*.

Sometimes the Star Trek writers were so loving lazy.;

Didn't stop me watching though.
The best thing about that is that Soong was apparently such an incredible genius that he was the only one who could figure out how to create a sentient android and no one else ever managed to replicate it, then the Enterprise crew discover that all you actually need to do is tell the holodeck computer to make one and it just will, but no one seems to realise how significant that is or follow up on it at all. Sure, Moriarty couldn't leave the holodeck, but since replicators exist you'd think it would be relatively straight-forward to basically manufacture sentient robots. Or even living people if you wanted.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

thespaceinvader posted:

It's pretty much the "can God create a rock so heavy he can't lift it" conundrum, but with space computers.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

gently caress you Admiral Nechayev was cool, and that other admiral was only power hungry because he had a mindcontrol cockroach in his brainstem (and got his head blown up for that)

That was such an odd episode.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ultrabindu posted:

If i remember right, it was going to be a recurring plotline (rooting out who was an undercover alien and whatnot,) but they decided to drop it.

And I agree re: the holodeck and sentience. Everyone goes on about Data being so high and mighty, but even the most basic, throw-away hologram appears quite capable of human emotion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aggressive pricing posted:

They really should have changed the backstory to Data being found either on the show or right before it started. They could have even done a plot where he shoots up through the early ranks where it's all technical knowledge and getting stymied once he hits a level where he's involved with commanding those under him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

And I agree re: the holodeck and sentience. Everyone goes on about Data being so high and mighty, but even the most basic, throw-away hologram appears quite capable of human emotion.

Most of them are supposed to be just faking it. They're not actually sentient any more than the characters in a modern video game are, they're just programmed to respond in ways that make them seem like they are. But Moriarty is explicitly different, to the extent that he somehow remains conscious even when his program isn't running. Which makes no sense, but there you go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

If i remember right, it was going to be a recurring plotline (rooting out who was an undercover alien and whatnot,) but they decided to drop it.

They were also the original version of the Borg but they changed their mind and made them machines instead. I heard that one of the books explains these guys away as like an evil offshoot of the Trill.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

They were also the original version of the Borg but they changed their mind and made them machines instead. I heard that one of the books explains these guys away as like an evil offshoot of the Trill.

I thought it was supposed to be a coupe by some internal faction, then Roddenberry threw a poo poo fit, because humans have evolved past things like ambition, and the writters pulled some mind control aliens out their collective rear end.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tiggum posted:

The best thing about that is that Soong was apparently such an incredible genius that he was the only one who could figure out how to create a sentient android and no one else ever managed to replicate it, then the Enterprise crew discover that all you actually need to do is tell the holodeck computer to make one and it just will, but no one seems to realise how significant that is or follow up on it at all. Sure, Moriarty couldn't leave the holodeck, but since replicators exist you'd think it would be relatively straight-forward to basically manufacture sentient robots. Or even living people if you wanted.

TBF, manufactuing sentient androids was already easy before that episode. You put Data on the transporter and don't delete the original. They manufactured duplicates of crew members at least three times across various series, including a version of Riker that went off and joined the Maquis.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Moriarty's brain was the enterprise computer, though, which is bigger than my house. Take a look at a schematic of the Enterprise-D, if you feel like being a huge nerd, and see that the computer core is like ten decks tall or something. That data's brain fits into a human-sized head is what's amazing about him, not that he's an AI.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trent posted:

Stupid as it may be, it was an explained plot point that Soong intentionally made Data "roboty" and autistic. He cannot say contractions because he was made that way. Not understanding idioms is like the unrealistic skin and eyes - Soong could do all those things, and did, just not with Data.

Don't get me started with B4.

The robot that can do all those things was evil. That gets me to one of many problems I had with Nemesis. Why did they put B4 together? The last time they did that the result was Lore and he wanted to kill everyone.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Lagomorphic posted:

The baseball thing actually is treated as an unusual and obscure interest on the show. Of course all the other humans basically have their own obscure historical interests. I do get what you're saying though. The problem referencing culture from between when the show was written and when it takes place is that it requires you to basically invent a sport, musical genre etc. that is not stupid. It's also a fictional cultural reference so it's essentially meaningless to the audience. Sisko being into baseball, jazz and traditional New Orleans food is just going to be more meaningful than a bunch of made up bullshit.

That TNG clip I posted is basically the stupidest poo poo ever and it's goofiness completely undercuts the drama intended to be in the scene. DS9 had better writing so they avoid that by having the characters be into actual things that have cultural significance to the viewer and tossing in a few lines about how it's an obscure interest here and there. They do whip up the made-up bullshit on occasion but it's usually in light scenes where they can have fun with the absurdity of it.

The show Farscape is about a Human pulled to the other side of the galaxy so outside of that character making references that no one else understands they basically have to make up everything. It's pretty great but it's incredibly disorienting to the viewer. It had/has a really cult following as a result.

The DS9 stuff generally had analogues to modern things that made sense. Dabo is kind of like roulette, Racquetball looks just like future squash etc.. so you are pretty willing to just accept it.

Anbo jytsu or however you spell it is just retarded and isnt even what we would consider a martial art.. Unless it went through warp 10 and thats how it evolved into that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

TBF, manufactuing sentient androids was already easy before that episode. You put Data on the transporter and don't delete the original. They manufactured duplicates of crew members at least three times across various series, including a version of Riker that went off and joined the Maquis.
Yeah, but the holodeck method lets you create new, different ones rather than just identical copies. But the holodeck, replicators and transporters are just so terribly underutilised. They can clearly do a hell of a lot more than they're ever actually used for. Like how they accidentally discovered a way to reverse the ageing process and never did anything with it. Or the way you can use the transporters to essentially store people in an unchanging state, which would be great if you needed to get them medical care that wasn't immediately available. I think there are even times where they edit something mid-transport, like removing viruses or dangerous chemicals.

Trent posted:

Moriarty's brain was the enterprise computer, though, which is bigger than my house. Take a look at a schematic of the Enterprise-D, if you feel like being a huge nerd, and see that the computer core is like ten decks tall or something. That data's brain fits into a human-sized head is what's amazing about him, not that he's an AI.
But wasn't Moriarty transferred entirely into that little cube that Picard leaves on his desk and forgets about? Also, I'm pretty sure that Vic Fontaine from DS9 was sentient as well and contained entirely within one of Quark's holosuites. And the emergency medical holograms seem to either be sentient or become sentient if left running long enough. I'm not sure if they're part of the main computer or not though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Craster's Keep fight was even worse.

"We are outnumbered and attacking a fortified position, the only advantage we have is the element of surprise. So what we're going to do is scream as loud as possible and then do a dead sprint towards them, just to make sure we are tired and that they know where we are and where we're coming from. Then I'm going to lure their knife expert in as close to as I can with my longsword, that way I can fully utilize my pommel and elbows."

Yeah but then everyone survives except the traitor, so joke's on you Mr. Strategist.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ultrabindu posted:

Memories I have before age 8:

Berlin wall falling on my 5th birthday
First day of school
The events of this GIF

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

But wasn't Moriarty transferred entirely into that little cube that Picard leaves on his desk and forgets about? Also, I'm pretty sure that Vic Fontaine from DS9 was sentient as well and contained entirely within one of Quark's holosuites. And the emergency medical holograms seem to either be sentient or become sentient if left running long enough. I'm not sure if they're part of the main computer or not though.

the cube wasn't completely explained. It could have still been running off the enterprise computer, but it may have been self-contained. Perhaps once he was created, it took less power to keep him going?

It's not clear what Vic was, either, but Quarks' holosuites were linked to the whole station's computer and once held the minds of several crewmembers who got lost in the transporter buffer.

The Doctor's program got so big that they had to delete/overwrite the other major hologram in the computer to contain him, and Voyager surely represented a leap in computer power compared to the Ent-D what with the BIONEURALGELPACKS and all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Memories I have before age 8:

Berlin wall falling on my 5th birthday
First day of school
The events of this GIF

I was so excited to be watching TNG and in that episode the critter they were carrying around was in the same TRAPPER KEEPER thing that I had for school that year! It was so exciting and awesome and then BOOM exploding guy and bloody chest cavity

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

If you'd like to see a fight between two Big Guys done right... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blki-DISUis

Its from season 3 of Deadwood, and while I guess it contains somewhat of a spoiler (one of them dies), there is literally nothing you need to know about this scene to enjoy it other than these two men hate each other so much that they're willing to try to beat one another to death in the mud one afternoon. Probably one of the rawest moments in an already incredibly raw show.

e: *with their bare hands.

One of my absolute favorite scenes from one of my absolute favorite TV shows.

I have to say that Al Swearengen was my favorite character, Ian McShane brought him to life with such conviction and depth that you just can't help but hate and love him.

quote:

Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Television Series Drama
Television Critics Association Award for Individual Achievement in Drama
Nominated—Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Nominated—Satellite Award for Best Actor – Television Series Drama
Nominated—Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
Nominated—Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Nominated—Television Critics Association Award for Individual Achievement in Drama

drat straight, and he really should have won all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWE8gk6uhE

But this is not the "totally awesome characters in awesome TV shows", this is the irritating poo poo thread. I'll echo the WTF of the whole maze thing in The Maze Runner, and add that I found the evil mustache-twirling overlord lady at the end to be unbearably campy and doing a massive exposition dump right at the end. What they're doing is practically something Dr. Evil could have come up with, it's that dumb. The rest of the movie was really pretty good, and I totally dig the whole "unexplained massive possibly ancient structure with an unknown purpose that we have to live in the shadow of" thing it's got going on, but the ending pretty much just shat all over it.

It turn it into a milquetoast young adult version of Cube.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Oct 3, 2014

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Seeing all the Toph avatars reminded me. Aang is a cute and fun-loving kid, even after the end of the series. And then there is Legend of Korra, which timeskips, what, sixty years or so? We only see Aang in flashbacks. And during flashbacks it reveals he turned into a pretty racist douche when it came to his three kids, a nonbender, a waterbender, and an airbender. To the point he would only take his airbending son off to all of these holy temples and sites and teach him history, to the point no one in any of those places had any IDEA he had other kids. Aang was so wrapped in making sure his culture survived he alienated two of his three kids and treated the one special bender as, well, the most important person ever.

gently caress, even Ozai didn't treat Azula like that. She was special but she wasn't THAT important to him. Azula was the favorite child but we weren't supposed to LIKE Ozai the way we did Aang.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Most fans are split on it but I think Legend of Korra isn't very good and I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Most fans are split on it but I think Legend of Korra isn't very good and I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

The first two seasons are terrible but give the third one a chance, it's back up to the same quality as the original.