Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Froist posted:

What exactly would Awful display with this option turned on?
All goatse in every post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fungus_amungus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but I saw others with wifi issues. I had massive problems on my iPad Air after the iOS 8 upgrade. I found that by disabling the 5 ghz and going with 2.4 ghz only on my dual band router it solved the problem. I obviously want to turn it back on once the software is patched. Hopefully this helps some goons out.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Why is awful.app using 775 MBs of space?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Why is awful.app using 775 MBs of space?

Because it has a local copy of everything you've ever viewed.

(I realize this is dumb.)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Where's the update. :colbert:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Might want to watch out for this other new one too:

quote:

14.3 Apps that display user generated content must include a method for filtering objectionable material, a mechanism for users to flag offensive content, and the ability to block abusive users from the service.

Maybe exposing Ignore List and Report functionality would address that?

There is nothing user-generated, all of the content is downloaded from highly-reputable internet websites.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

pokeyman posted:

Because it has a local copy of everything you've ever viewed.

(I realize this is dumb.)

So.... is there a reasonable way to clear the cache? Any chance of an option to only keep x days of content?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

This is a new one for me.

I was trying to go into the menu that bookmarks is hidden in. I had to kill the app to get out of here.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

So.... is there a reasonable way to clear the cache? Any chance of an option to only keep x days of content?

Not really. If your device fills up then iOS might clean it out for you, otherwise you gotta log out to clear it.

I do plan on pruning useless cached stuff, shouldn't be a need for an option. Unfortunately adding a "delete cache" button is a lot of work, due to my general incompetence.

theadder posted:

I was trying to go into the menu that bookmarks is hidden in. I had to kill the app to get out of here.

This is awesome.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I really hope you don't change it so that pages aren't cached. My daily commute consists of 15 minutes above ground in the subway followed by 15 minutes underground. Usually about 5 minutes before going underground I'll find a good thread with lots of unread posts and cache the next 10 or so pages to read while I have no service. I'm pretty amazed by how many pages it can reliably cache, I'm pretty sure I queued up 20 pages once. I know I'm not the only one that does this, too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I really hope you don't change it so that pages aren't cached. My daily commute consists of 15 minutes above ground in the subway followed by 15 minutes underground. Usually about 5 minutes before going underground I'll find a good thread with lots of unread posts and cache the next 10 or so pages to read while I have no service. I'm pretty amazed by how many pages it can reliably cache, I'm pretty sure I queued up 20 pages once. I know I'm not the only one that does this, too.

Don't worry, there's no plans for that. I'm thinking the cache pruning will kick in for criteria like "haven't opened this page of posts in a month". Though I'm glad people use the caching for something! It's one of those features I don't personally use much.

And to clarify what I said earlier, adding an "empty cache" button is still on the todo list, it just won't happen soon because it's a mess.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I also abuse the cache on my commute.

Would love an option to click a button to cache the next 1-5 pages (with notification when complete), where it would not mark those posts as read.

But it maybe goes against the anti-scraping policy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I ran into that issue again where I couldn't get out of an edit without actually submitting it.

What really surprised me is that this time a force quit AND a phone reboot didn't help. It still came back to the edit screen. I had to submit the edit.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I also abuse the cache on my commute.

Would love an option to click a button to cache the next 1-5 pages (with notification when complete), where it would not mark those posts as read.

But it maybe goes against the anti-scraping policy.

I'm not sure what the official anti-scraping policy is, or even if there is one, but you're probably right that it violates Awful's anti-scraping policy.

smackfu posted:

I ran into that issue again where I couldn't get out of an edit without actually submitting it.

What really surprised me is that this time a force quit AND a phone reboot didn't help. It still came back to the edit screen. I had to submit the edit.

This really is an astounding issue. I have no idea how it survives past a force quit. That's supposed to blow away any saved state.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IIRC the last time it came up the scraping policy was basically "don't generate any traffic patterns that someone reading the forums through a web browser wouldn't".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

IIRC the last time it came up the scraping policy was basically "don't generate any traffic patterns that someone reading the forums through a web browser wouldn't".

Sounds reasonable. I remember a more general "archive the whole thread" feature being suggested, but that's a no go for sure. "Next five pages", though, sounds ok in this context.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the admins specifically didn't like the idea of requesting several pages at once. Even if you intend to read all five pages, they prefer five page requests spread out over five minutes, not five seconds.

This was a while ago, maybe the forums are less likely to self-destruct under the extra load now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I would use the hell out of that feature, (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) so it's probably worth asking about.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

I think the admins specifically didn't like the idea of requesting several pages at once. Even if you intend to read all five pages, they prefer five page requests spread out over five minutes, not five seconds.

This was a while ago, maybe the forums are less likely to self-destruct under the extra load now.

To me it's like running down my bookmarks list command-clicking ten threads into new tabs, which would appear to the server as ten approximately simultaneous requests. But I'll make sure to ask before I go ahead with anything.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

smackfu posted:

Hahahah it lives, even submitting didn't work for me, I had to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

theadder posted:

Looks like you got the new version early. Objectionable content filter looking good.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

pokeyman posted:

To me it's like running down my bookmarks list command-clicking ten threads into new tabs, which would appear to the server as ten approximately simultaneous requests. But I'll make sure to ask before I go ahead with anything.

Thanks for considering it. :)

I believe some people even use user scripts to open all their bookmarked threads into separate tabs at the same time.

I already manually click through those five pages, so if they could be queued up automatically, I don't see any difference.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Here's a really cool UI idea:
https://github.com/Ramotion/adaptive-tab-bar/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had an idea like that eons ago when I was tinkering with window managers for X11, I wanted an interface that would track mouse clicks. If the user clicked somewhere where nothing happened, then the next click actually did something, the element they clicked on would get bigger, supposedly making it easier to click. Stuff that didn't get used over a period of time would shrink or maybe even disappear into a sub-menu. I also wanted to experiment with moving buttons around in an attempt to increase the hit rate.

Unfortunately managing all that data was beyond me and I never got further than a proof of concept.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's a cool idea, and my question of "what about the tabs I never use" is answered by xzzy's idea.

I'm not sure I understand the benefit to smaller/fewer words on a part of the screen that's already well partitioned and has obvious context, but I like the general idea.

Also I hate the stupid smilie keyboard so much.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xzzy posted:

I had an idea like that eons ago when I was tinkering with window managers for X11, I wanted an interface that would track mouse clicks. If the user clicked somewhere where nothing happened, then the next click actually did something, the element they clicked on would get bigger, supposedly making it easier to click. Stuff that didn't get used over a period of time would shrink or maybe even disappear into a sub-menu. I also wanted to experiment with moving buttons around in an attempt to increase the hit rate.

Unfortunately managing all that data was beyond me and I never got further than a proof of concept.

The Biggest problem here is that I often purposefully "click" areas that have no buttons--on desktop to switch windows without accidentally hitting something and on iPhone to adjust grip or whatnot. It's a neat idea, but it wouldn't be useful to me.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I'm having an issue with image sharing. Specifically, whenever I open an image and try to do something with it (save it, usually), the menu closes but nothing happens. And then the menu won't open again. I already tried reinstalling, no luck there. I'm running the latest OS on a 5S.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

The Biggest problem here is that I often purposefully "click" areas that have no buttons--on desktop to switch windows without accidentally hitting something and on iPhone to adjust grip or whatnot. It's a neat idea, but it wouldn't be useful to me.

And now you know why I gave up on it, once I discovered how much data I'd have to log and interpret the problem outgrew my ability to program it. Probably not the best place to debate it but I think an adaptive UI is going to become a thing someday in the future. Everyone uses their computing devices slightly differently, and instead of having a massive list of preferences the software should have some capacity to adjust automatically.

We got a hint of it with Windows 8, but unfortunately everyone hated it. :v:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xzzy posted:

And now you know why I gave up on it, once I discovered how much data I'd have to log and interpret the problem outgrew my ability to program it. Probably not the best place to debate it but I think an adaptive UI is going to become a thing someday in the future. Everyone uses their computing devices slightly differently, and instead of having a massive list of preferences the software should have some capacity to adjust automatically.

We got a hint of it with Windows 8, but unfortunately everyone hated it. :v:

You could make a pretty irritatingawesome game with the idea, poor implementation and all.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Thanks for considering it. :)

I believe some people even use user scripts to open all their bookmarked threads into separate tabs at the same time.

I already manually click through those five pages, so if they could be queued up automatically, I don't see any difference.

Well SALR has an option to let you open all unread bookmarked threads instantly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just switched back to an iPhone 6 from Android -

The swipe-to-menu feature on the iPhone seems pretty rough. I feel like I have to swipe from the very edge of the screen, which is pretty unreliable. That's a shame, because that's what makes it easy to get back to my bookmarks from a thread. I have an iPad and the same feature feels much better on that.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The swipe-to-menu feature on the iPhone seems pretty rough. I feel like I have to swipe from the very edge of the screen, which is pretty unreliable. That's a shame, because that's what makes it easy to get back to my bookmarks from a thread. I have an iPad and the same feature feels much better on that.

There is something too about having to keep very steady horizontally on the screen for it to work. It used to work much better before one of the more recent updates.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Update just hit the App Store (USA). Glorious iPhone 6 compatibility. Just grabbed it but the tabs on the bottom are nice. I like the old awful interface so nice to see them make a return. Thanks to the devs for your hard work.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 4, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Awful 3 is very nice. Especially the new imageview.

E: are these icons meant to be left aligned?

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 4, 2014

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

My god, the app looks amazing. Well done, gentlemen.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Agreed this looks very good. Kudos.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I... I can see the heavens. Its name is Awful 3.0.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
That was bizarre. I went to update it an the update disappeared from the store. I had to delete the app and redownload it to get 3.0.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy balls, Awful looks so nice on my 6 now :staredog:

You guys did a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Did you change the font size on the Bookmarks? They kinda look way bulkier than before.
Maybe they display the full title now when they didn't before?

• Locked thread