Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The Ferret King posted:

They've done a lot over the last several years to make it as much of a parallel operation as possible. But it's still a cluster gently caress of intersecting runways. Chicago Midway isn't much better.

It's a style of airport construction that the FAA wants desperately to do away with.

Have fun with that at Logan in Boston.

Between the random wind shifts in Spring/Fall, the neighbors and/or enviromentalists that would scream bloody murder if you had a passing dream about building a new runway or lengthening a current one, and the fact that any construction project involving public funds in this area is guaranteed to make the management of the F-35 project look reasonable, it's pretty much impossible.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Ferret King posted:

They've done a lot over the last several years to make it as much of a parallel operation as possible. But it's still a cluster gently caress of intersecting runways. Chicago Midway isn't much better.

It's a style of airport construction that the FAA wants desperately to do away with.

If their plan ever comes to fruition, it will be (almost) free of intersecting runways.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

If their plan ever comes to fruition, it will be (almost) free of intersecting runways.

That much construction in Chicago? Going to be some rich politicians after that.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well those runway names don't make any sense at all, but I see what they're going for, yes.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not sure what that guy was thinking when he numbered his runways, but they should be 10/28 L/C/R on the south side and 09/27 L/C/R on the north.

hobbesmaster posted:

That much construction in Chicago? Going to be some rich politicians after that.

You say that almost as if the politicians haven't already lined their pockets on this project.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I flew out of OHare not too long ago, and our taxiing took a solid 25-35 minutes. That picture is great though, I was looking for a construction plan when I noticed they had runways shut down and all I found was mixed, colored maps that were a lot more cluttered and confusing then thy had to be about before/after.

On another note, what system is used to name/number runways?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 1, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mazz posted:

Wikipedia explains it better than I could.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Major Kong on challenging airports. I knew O'Hare was big; I didn't know it was built like a airport jigsaw puzzle.

This was a neat article and I'd never heard of Major Kong before (despite having read his entire mig-21 article somehow) but I saw another article about a SAM simulator, http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/04/06/1289863/-Game-Review-SAM-Simulator - has anyone tried this? It seems strangely interesting!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mazz posted:

While going through the FAA Academy to become an Air Traffic Controller, our teachers would share stories of some of the more special people that made it to their ATC facilities while still lacking some fundamental knowledge.

Several examples came up of controllers not knowing or understanding why runways were numbered the way they were. Please don't misunderstand me, this isn't common or very interesting knowledge for the average person, and I'm not slighting you or anyone for not knowing this information... But, for a controller to not understand that "Runway 28L" is oriented to a magnetic heading of 280 degrees (when we so often issue vectors using such degree values to aircraft)... Well, that's just insane.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How often, if ever, are numbers corrected due to the magnetic pole drift?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

Whenever required. Most of the runways in south Florida were recently remembered. I've heard that at its current rate of change, they'll need it again in about fifty-six years.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

slidebite posted:

1) When they become nearer to the next ten's worth of heading, and 2) when funds allow.

When I was getting my PPL, I think there was some airport in FL that AOPA reported on getting its numbers repainted. I might just be conflating with another story, though.

efb D:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
What's the wind gust factor like on a tiltwing in VTOL mode? It's mentioned as downside for the Hiller X-18, but no such mention I can find for XC-142. Maybe the four engines compensate enough? It seems like a smart design and maybe less complex that a tiltrotor. Definitely a better VTOL than the F-35B. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8GjdFLoAI

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Looks like they just screwed up and did a typo with some of those runways in that image, specifically what should be 9R is listed as 9L?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Leif. posted:

Looks like they just screwed up and did a typo with some of those runways in that image, specifically what should be 9R is listed as 9L?

Having 9L Arrival and 9L Departure is just a recipe for disaster, but hey, it'll keep the people at Discovery in material.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm assuming these videos are shareable since they got sent out by email, but this is what the ORD/MDW flow has looked like for a couple of days:

Sept 28, 2014

Sept 29, 2014

I believe blue are ORD arrivals, red are MDW arrivals and everything else is departures. Keep in mind that this is all being done buy surrounding centers and approach controls.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is there a radar dead zone over Lake Michigan? It looks like a lot of planes disappear over Michigan and reappear close to Chicago.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Safety Dance posted:

Is there a radar dead zone over Lake Michigan? It looks like a lot of planes disappear over Michigan and reappear close to Chicago.

Great Lakes Triangle.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Great Lakes Triangle.

The ghost of the Edmund Fitzgerald
I know that was Superior but nothing interesting happens in Lake Michigan

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Spaced God posted:

I know that was Superior but nothing interesting happens in Lake Michigan

You say that, but have a look at this:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageN...t-Carriers.aspx

I would call a pair of paddle wheel powered, freshwater aircraft carriers "interesting".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They keep pulling old war planes out of Lake Michigan too.

SterlingArcher
Sep 19, 2010
C

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Leif. posted:

You can't have more than 3 parallel runways with the same number anyway. The most you can have is a Left, Right, and Center. After that, even if the additional runways are parallel, a different number is needed to differentiate them from the first 3.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

This was a neat article and I'd never heard of Major Kong before (despite having read his entire mig-21 article somehow) but I saw another article about a SAM simulator, http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/04/06/1289863/-Game-Review-SAM-Simulator - has anyone tried this? It seems strangely interesting!

Update: after a couple hours of practice (and a handoff via datalink) I managed to nail a F-86 with my trusty SA-2F. No words yet on whether or not this entire rig is just an incredibly elaborate virus, or how the programmer managed to make a 5-meg windows application into a 3-gig monstrosity, especially since it's only 200mb compressed for download, but it's pretty interesting to see the view from the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJ5CgGj6mk There's a youtub video of an Englishman shooting down Francis Gary Powers. edit: coincidentally, on his second try he accidentally shoots down the Su-9 that in real life tried to ram the U-2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CSrxheB1Dg No sound, but he managed to get an SR-71 (lol)

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 2, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Surprised no one has built a setup with those control panels like what the flight sim guys have.

That'd be pretty cool having some uber-realistic SAM operation going up against the guys flying the uber-realistic DCS games.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

priznat posted:

Surprised no one has built a setup with those control panels like what the flight sim guys have.

That'd be pretty cool having some uber-realistic SAM operation going up against the guys flying the uber-realistic DCS games.

DCS: SA-19 would pretty much be a day-one purchase for me.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

MrYenko posted:

DCS: SA-19 would pretty much be a day-one purchase for me.

DCS: Buk

Includes an AI 777 in Malaysian Airlines livery.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kilonum posted:

DCS: Buk

Includes an AI 777 in Malaysian Airlines livery.

It's like the airport scene in modern warfare two, but with more switches.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sudan-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-25/2512106/L/&sid=d3c99aeb7f335b93348a0fd207a75a09

What the hell happened on this thing's wing? I'm guessing fuel spill, but I can't picture how you could spill that much of it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sudan-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-25/2512106/L/&sid=d3c99aeb7f335b93348a0fd207a75a09

What the hell happened on this thing's wing? I'm guessing fuel spill, but I can't picture how you could spill that much of it.

It looks like condensation (dew) over the fuel tanks. If it happens in the same place every day, it can attract dirt/dust, which lets fuel stick to it, leading to staining. Plane needs a wash.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It looks like condensation (dew) over the fuel tanks. If it happens in the same place every day, it can attract dirt/dust, which lets fuel stick to it, leading to staining. Plane needs a wash.

Alternately, there might be hydraulic components under that panel, leaking, and attracting dirt. Where airplanes bleed, they get dirty.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MagnumHB posted:

Was this (minus the music) it?

I think this is the version without the Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32fAD9zY3jo

Edit: Although after watching it, the pilot still doesn't say much after takeoff, so it's mainly silence broken up by "Altitude altitude" warnings.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 2, 2014

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Do they not have 815 MX in that corner of the world?

I love that stuff so much.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

A Melted Tarp posted:

Do they not have 815 MX in that corner of the world?

I love that stuff so much.

Hose it off with fresh water and a Magic Eraser every now and again. I don't think product availability is a concern when the maintainers just don't do it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

smackfu posted:

I think this is the version without the Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32fAD9zY3jo

Edit: Although after watching it, the pilot still doesn't say much after takeoff, so it's mainly silence broken up by "Altitude altitude" warnings.

The video I had watched, the pilot was coaching himself through each maneuver. The instructor used it to show the effect G had on the body, primarily because he was hicking and started out by congratulating each maneuver with "yeah awesome job" but at the end he said "well... that worked." He also recited his before landing check five times on final to make sure he didn't land gear up. Gah, I wish I had the guy's email asking him for the video. :sigh:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

A buddy and I went to the Museum of Flight. The lighting is challenging in many of the exhibits, but there sure is some pretty rad stuff there.

F-14 Tomcat by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
F-14 Tomcat by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
B-47 Stratojet by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Super Constellation by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Super Constellation by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
AV-8C Harrier by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Concorde by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
FG-1D Corsair by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Fokker e.III by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Messerschmitt Bf 109 by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
P-38 Lightning by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
P-40 Warhawk by someguynamedmatt, on FlickrP-41 Mustang by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Sopwith Triplane by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Supermarine Spitfire by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Albatross D.II by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Caproni Ca.20 by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr

And then... loving religious experience. The Blackbird is truly stunning to see in person. I could have just stared at it for the whole afternoon. :fap:
Blackbird (M-21 / SR-71) by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Blackbird nacelle / ductwork (so much titanium!) by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
M-21 (pre SR-71) Blackbird by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
M-21 (pre SR-71) Blackbird and engine by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr

edit: so. much. titanium. just incredible.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 3, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I loved the museum of flight. Won the raffle to tour the Boeing Bee, which was great

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Great place, I forgot about the Lear Propfan hanging out above the A-12 (:engleft: )

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

sofullofhate posted:

And then... loving religious experience. The Blackbird is truly stunning to see in person. I could have just stared at it for the whole afternoon. :fap:
Blackbird (M-21 / SR-71) by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
Blackbird nacelle / ductwork (so much titanium!) by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
M-21 (pre SR-71) Blackbird by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr
M-21 (pre SR-71) Blackbird and engine by someguynamedmatt, on Flickr

edit: so. much. titanium. just incredible.

There's also a blackbird cockpit you can sit in:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

drgitlin posted:

There's also a blackbird cockpit you can sit in:

Unsurprisingly hard to get in and out of when holding a drink.