Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Bronze TARDIS control room still lives :allears:.

Best control room. Putting some shelves in the current one didn't make it any less poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teek posted:

Just going to put this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1w0sTg3Cc

Sadly it's not what everyone probably wants it to be. It's a preview for the new Doctor Who Experience coming later this month, updated now with Capaldi.

Interestingly it sounds like Lalla Ward's Romana?

Oh my god, they even used the renovated original console room!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PriorMarcus posted:

Best control room. Putting some shelves in the current one didn't make it any less poo poo.

They help a little, but they only show how little room there is away from the control console. That ring around the edge is very narrow. I do like the books piled on the stairs though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh my god, they even used the renovated original console room!

Either they have way more self-control than I would, or there's an actual reason that they aren't just finding excuses to use that constantly.

Peter Davison's pieces about finding the ultimate Doctor/the ultimate companion showed that somewhere around the BBC is a recreation of the chrome console room from the 80s, too. Is that also at the Experience?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Welp just finished Planet of the Spiders and with it the Pertwee era. Probably a perfect time for me to do so... I have to say I wasn't big on him at first but he really grew into the role, man was quite the Doctor by the time his third season started. Anyways, onto T. Baker.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Welp just finished Planet of the Spiders and with it the Pertwee era. Probably a perfect time for me to do so... I have to say I wasn't big on him at first but he really grew into the role, man was quite the Doctor by the time his third season started. Anyways, onto T. Baker.

:allears: The bestest doctor of all.

Hahahah suck it everyone who disagrees!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Bronze TARDIS control room still lives :allears:.

Alas not - that looks like one of the areas in the DW Experience's interactive tour bit. It's basically a reproduction of the console, and that's about it. It's a very small space that you walk through.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

:allears: The bestest doctor of all.

Hahahah suck it everyone who disagrees!

He is pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teek posted:

Just going to put this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1w0sTg3Cc

Sadly it's not what everyone probably wants it to be. It's a preview for the new Doctor Who Experience coming later this month, updated now with Capaldi.

Interestingly it sounds like Lalla Ward's Romana?

Definitely sounds like Lalla, yes. Which is neat.

On an audio, but not BF note, my Audible account ticks over tomorrow, so I'm looking at what to grab, and was tempted by the 11 Doctors/11 stories thing, but I'd probably wait until they rerelease it with the Twelve story they're doing to add to it. However, I did notice one insane thing. Sophie Aldred is the narrator for the audio version of two of the stories. But NOT the Seven story, even though Ace is the companion in that. She DOES read the Six story, which is a Peri tale... told in FIRST PERSON. So rather than get Nicola Bryant, they get Sophie to do a godawful impression of Nicola's terrible American accent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tom Baker is definitely in my top ten

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

And to prove the Doctor Who corollary, I will tell you that Capaldi's Tardis is my favorite of all time, though it may only be tied with 7's from the movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like how cluttered 12's tardis is, I just wish there was more room by the console itself. I don't know that anything will top 11's first console room though, glass butt-plugs and all.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Speaking of which, there were some really great wide shots of the Tardis interior in The Caretaker. Can anyone get a good screencap of it?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Question for the Big Finish fans... what are some of your favourite deeper cuts from the BF catalog? Not the generally accepted best or most interesting stories, but ones that really entertained you or made you smile or that you appreciated for trying something new.

(I've listened to most of the more well-known ones, looking for some interesting hidden gems now!)

I will echo the love for Time Works and Memory Lane. Also, if you haven't listened to it already, The Kingmaker.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

"Get out of my TARDIS!"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Do you have the colour version of this too?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

:drat:

PriorMarcus posted:

Its literally a screen cap from the video posted above.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 3, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

When terrifying events threaten Coal Hill School, the Doctor decides to go undercover. The Skovox Blitzer is ready to destroy all humanity...

...and worse, any second now, Danny Pink and the Doctor are going to meet.

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in The Caretaker.

Cast
Peter Capaldi (The Doctor)
Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald)
Samuel Anderson (Danny Pink)
Ellis George (Courtney Woods)
Nigel Betts (Mr. Armitage)
Chris Addison (Seb)
Michelle Gomez (Missy)
Jimmy Vee (Skovox Blitzer)

Written by: Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat
Directed by: Paul Murphy

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3mO79TCRCM

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

One of the major difference between the classic series of Doctor Who and the revival has been how the lives of the Doctor’s companions have been portrayed.

In the old days, a companion would join the Doctor, travel with him in the TARDIS, and eventually leave the Doctor. During that time, the companion’s whole world was the Doctor, the TARDIS, and whatever adventures they had alongside of the Time Lord. Once they left the TARDIS, their story (at least on television) was completed and the Doctor would move along, to the next adventure…and the next companion. Starting when the Ninth Doctor took Rose back to her mother’s flat in Aliens of London, the new series has seen the Doctor weave in and out of his companions’ “home” lives. As the companion travels with the Doctor, their family and friends seem to be drawn into the insanity that such travels bring, from Rose’s boyfriend Mickey becoming a soldier in a parallel world, to Donna’s grandfather Wilf knocking three times to signify the end of the Tenth Doctor’s regeneration. The Eleventh Doctor took this to a much larger degree, as he would leave Amy and Rory behind for months on end before coming back to pick them up for another whirlwind excursion. From the very beginning when he took three weeks to get coffee for himself and Clara, the Twelfth Doctor has perfect the art of “dropping in,” landing the TARDIS with precision at both Clara’s apartment and at her school to take her away while allowing her to continue her professional career. As well as giving her the opportunity to develop a bit of a love life.

The Caretaker is a slice-of-life episode, as the Doctor firmly plants himself in Clara’s life as he attempts to flush out a hostile creature with the power to destroy all life, gathering the attention of one Danny Pink in the process. In most circumstances, The Caretaker would have been an interesting, light hearted concept with a hint of drama and danger. But the relationship between the Doctor and Danny throws the entire thing off kilter, overshadowing the rest of the episode by its jarring nature.
Clara has been run ragged, juggling her time with the Doctor and her time with her boyfriend, Danny Pink, the two lives within bare seconds and meters of colliding with one another. When the Doctor tells Clara he’s going deep, deep undercover and she must remain at school, Clara sees it as a chance to spend some uninterrupted time with Danny. That is, until the Doctor shows up at school as the temporary caretaker (janitor, for us Yanks). There’s an alien hiding near Coal Hill School, one with the capability to destroy the entire planet. The Doctor plans to flush him out and take him to the end of time, but the process will take a few days. Clara tries to avoid the Doctor’s intrusive presence, but Danny can’t help but notice the connection between Clara and the new caretaker…

Gareth Roberts is no stranger to Doctor Who, having written The Shakespeare Code and The Unicorn and the Wasp. Nor is he a stranger to these types of episodes, as he penned The Lodger and Closing Time. In both episodes, the Doctor casually drops in to the normal, boring life of a young Englishman and does his best to remain unobtrusive while protecting them from an alien menace. Both episodes came off with a bit of sitcom style, as the Doctor’s efforts to remain unobtrusive lead to a mix of farcical comedy, misunderstanding and miscommunication, and grave peril. The Caretaker, co-written by both Roberts and Steven Moffat, definitely attempts to apply those concepts to the story, but for the most part they fall flat. The grave peril is a military assault robot known as a Skovox Blitzer, which looks like a mix between a metal spider and Garrus from the Mass Effect video game series, as well as possessing the aim of an Imperial Stormtrooper. It doesn’t look or act like the type of weapon that could destroy an entire planet, which is what the Doctor is trying to stop throughout the episode. It talks a very tough game, a soldier simply following its orders/programming, but it just doesn’t carry any weight on screen. If it was a case of “could destroy the whole neighborhood/all of London” and did more than off a policeman and blow a hole in a stack of chars, then the Blitzer would be more believable as a major threat. Even if the Blitzer is the plot device used solely to push the Doctor/Clara/Danny conflict forward, it just comes off as silly and unbelievable as a villain to take seriously.

The humor is supposed to come from misunderstandings as the Doctor tries to pass for human and Clara attempts to endure his presence at Coal Hill. But instead of focusing on confusion and just the general “strangeness” of the Doctor as caretaker, the attempts at humor instead come from the Doctor being a jerk. Through this regeneration, the Doctor has been acebic with biting comments and insights about the insanity of the situations he's found himself in. In The Caretaker, it seems like this aspect of his personality has been turned out to 11.

The humor is either coming from the Doctor being deliberately obtuse or the Doctor being a raging asshat. Now, to be fair, part of that could just come from Peter Capaldi's forceful delivery, but as soon as the Doctor started wielding the broom to keep Clara away, she wasn't his companion anymore. She was someone in his way. If the stakes were truly as high as the Doctor said they were, than I could buy his detachment and need to dismiss social skills in an effort to get the job done. Without it, the Doctor is just being mean, without any of the charm and grace that his previous incarnations have shown. There's no greater justification for this opinion than the scene in the garden, where the Doctor keeps saying that, because Danny was a soldier, he couldn't possibly be a math teacher. The Doctor, who has seen the width and bredth of time and space and never judges people at face value, makes a judgment in the face of Danny's continued correctness. The Doctor isn't that dense. He's being a jerk to Danny because of his military past and it's uncalled for. And I could chalk up the Doctor's reaction if the Doctor knew Danny was dating Clara by this point in the episode as simply jealousy or “you're not good enough for my friend,' but he doesn't find out until much later.

And when he does find out, the episode just goes right to the ground floor and keeps on going.

On one hand, the Doctor survived the Time War and has the memories of not only his true sacrifice back, but the memories of everything he did during the conflict memories he isn't very proud of. So I would be willing to accept his dislike of soldiers on those grounds, or perhaps a major case of self-loathing from his time as the War Doctor. But he says to Danny that soldiers just follow orders and don't think for themselves. When he said this, I held up three fingers.

The Second Doctor was pleased as punch to see Sergeant Benton in The Three Doctors. And no less than the Sixth Doctor considered the Brigadier one of his best friends. I can buy the Doctor being anti-military and pro-soldier, not about the armed forces mindset but basing his individual decisions around the actions of the person, not the uniform. But the scene where he cut loose on Danny is out-of-nowhere with its viciousness and venom. Don't get me wrong, Capaldi sold the hell out of it, but it was so incredibly jarring and threw the entire episode out of whack. Danny's response to finding out that the Doctor was “aristocracy” and “an officer” was justified in return, escalating the scene's tension, and Samuel Anderson just lets loose with such a barrage of anger that I wonder if something happened with an officer during Pink's time in Iraq that will come up down the line. It's just as a whole the scene was a sharp contrast to the rest of the episode, save for the Doctor's unjustified anger and rage as Danny being a soldier.

For a teacher's whose school and students are threatened, Clara Oswald is more concerned with going about her day and finding out what the Doctor is up to than making sure her students are safe, aside from giving lip service to the concept a few times as well as snapping off a few choice words.

quote:

“I used to have a teacher like you.”

“You still do, pay attention.”

Jenna Coleman was nothing more than a prop in this episode, who's only point was to be torn between the Doctor's life and her time with Danny. And even then, she seemed to lean more towards the Doctor than Danny, not listening to Danny's suggestion to evacuate the school in any way, shape, or form, even to say “we don't have time, listen to the Doctor.” She explains the Doctor to Danny, but doesn't explain Danny to the Doctor (that we see). For an episode set in the middle of Clara's very life and livelihood, I would have hoped for more from the writing for Miss Oswald.

I feel like I've been harsh on this episode, but with good reason. Capaldi, Coleman, and Anderson do very well with what the script tasks them to do, but the script doesn't really seem to do the characters justice. Even the very bit at the end, after Danny saves the day by doing this...

...and the Doctor uses military speak to get the Blitzer to stand down, it just feels like nothing was worth it. Sure, the Doctor and Danny seem to reach a form of detente with one another, but it comes off as...not even forced. Just a tacked-on coda to the episode. Maybe I was just expecting another The Lodger, but this effort from Gareth Roberts doesn't come close to that episode.

The very end of the episode, though, is worth mentioning, as a policeman who was killed by the Blitzer finds himself in what looks like the afterlife...a bureaucracy staffed by none other than Chris Addison, Peter Capaldi's castmate from The Thick of It. With a brief appearance from Missy, I guess it's time to come up with my own theory about what this “Promised Land” is. I think Addison and Missy work in a special portion of this afterlife dedicated to dealing with anyone who's died as a result of the Doctor's actions or adventures, which is why Missy knows the Doctor as well as she claims to. He keeps her busy...

Next up - In the near future, the Doctor and Clara find themselves on a space shuttle making a suicide mission to the Moon. Crash-landing on the lunar surface they find the most terrible things...

Peter Capald is the Doctor in...Kill the Moon.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 3, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

The Second Doctor was pleased as punch to see Sergeant Denton in The Three Doctors.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Oh god drat it, Cobi.

Nice catch, but I'm now re-installing Deus Ex because you mentioned it you BASTARD.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 3, 2014

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Get the hell out of here, Denton!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

JC = Jenna Coleman. It all makes sense!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CobiWann posted:

She explains the Doctor to Danny, but doesn't explain Danny to the Doctor (that we see). For an episode set in the middle of Clara's very life and livelihood, I would have hoped for more from the writing for Miss Oswald.

Sure she does, she explains that he is her boyfriend and a soldier, and thats literally all his character is as far as we've seen. You don't see him supporting a sports team or being a gym nut or any other trait besides boy friend/ex-soldier/math teacher. I want to like this guy but the writing is just too lovely to pull it off so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, what's Clara's favourite sports team? (And Blackpool FC doesn't count, we don't know she roots for the home team.)

We know that Danny has a problem with arrogant officer and upper-class types, that he apparently did some things he's not proud of during his tour, but also took part in humanitarian work that he is proud of and is touchy about people not thinking of those kinds of things when they hear he was a squaddie. He apparently takes part in some extra-curicular stuff that ties into his service. He has a rep as a ladies' man, but is actually very shy and awkward around girls he's attracted to. And he's apparently a gymnast. Oh, and we know his real name's Rupert, that he used to be scared of monsters under the bed, that he was orphaned or taken into care at a young age, and that he has a broken army man that has sentimental value for him, called Soldier Dan, that inspired his name change later in life.

So, yeah, we know nothing about him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think for his screentime Danny is pretty well developed.

Incidentally we also know he's brave enough to draw the fire of and do a front-flip over an alien super-weapon. That could easily be related to The Doctor's advice in Listen to use fear to your advantage.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Help needed from Audiophiles.
I'm considering getting an 8th Doctor-avatar, but I'm currently lacking a Good quote. The google wasn't very helpful, as it only contained same tired quotes from movie & Night of the Doctor.

the avatar:

Could anyone think fitting quotes from the Audiostories?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

Yup:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

I'm considering getting an 8th Doctor-avatar, but I'm currently lacking a Good quote. The google wasn't very helpful, as it only contained same tired quotes from movie & Night of the Doctor.

the avatar:

quote:

I’ve seen entire species destroyed, civilizations left in ruins. I’ve witnessed solar systems vanish in the twinkling of an eye. I’ve seen things that would freeze your blood... So don’t threaten me, don’t ever threaten me. [...] My real fear is the things I don't enjoy. The things I've seen and never want to see again. [...] Now, entity, what can I show you... let's start with evil from the dawn of time, and go on from there, shall we? [...] I wouldn't make these things up — I couldn't! I saw them all! [...] Well, evil from the past is one thing. But I have seen the future, too... [...] Wouldn't you like to see what's coming? It scares the living daylights out of me. I wonder what it'll do to you. [...] Oh, no, wait-wait-wait! There's worse than that! There are the things that I am afraid I might do one day.
- from Phobos

quote:

You're telling me you don't recognize your archenemy? Surely I'm the most arch enemy you've got!
- from Human Resources

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

adhuin posted:

the avatar:

"Zagreus sits inside your head.
Zagreus lives among the dead.
Zagreus sees you in your bed.
And eats you when you're sleeping."

don't use this

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

adhuin posted:

the avatar:

Peruse the list here: http://eighthdoctorquotes.tumblr.com/

I'm sure you can find something that works. Personally, I like: "Sorry, I was soliloquizing again. Filthy habit."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Peruse the list here: http://eighthdoctorquotes.tumblr.com/

I'm sure you can find something that works. Personally, I like: "Sorry, I was soliloquizing again. Filthy habit."

I liked: "There’s only a few times like the present!" from Faith Stealers

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell. Making enemies of our own futures."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"One day, I shall come back.... yes... I shall come back..."

from To The Death

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

The Caretaker

The Doctor's attitude towards Danny didn't particular strike me as standing out from how he treats most other people, but enough people have brought up their distaste with it that it seems clear there was some kind of problem in communicating whatever message was intended by the writers. I'm still surprised by just how intense the reaction has been, because this Doctor being ascerbic and stubborn-minded about his initial take on any subject until the weight of evidence comes down against him seems to me to have been well communicated across the entire season so far.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
IMO, the Doctor treated Danny almost exactly like he treated Rory early on, or Mickey. The Doctor just hates his companions having boyfriends or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, how is 'PE teacher' more abrasive than 'Ricky the Idiot'?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor's attitude towards Danny didn't particular strike me as standing out from how he treats most other people, but enough people have brought up their distaste with it that it seems clear there was some kind of problem in communicating whatever message was intended by the writers. I'm still surprised by just how intense the reaction has been, because this Doctor being ascerbic and stubborn-minded about his initial take on any subject until the weight of evidence comes down against him seems to me to have been well communicated across the entire season so far.

"You're a PE teacher."
"No, I'm a math teacher."

To me, that should have been the weight of evidence. Once is a misunderstanding, twice is understandable, twelve times is something else entirely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I honestly didn't see any difference between the Maths/PE Teacher stuff and the 9th Doctor insisting that Mickey's name was Ricky. The 11th Doctor also had a pretty uneasy relationship with Rory before he really got to know him. The 10th Doctor completely dismissed and was condescending towards Colonel Mace for being a soldier too, despite Mace's respect for him and a habit of actually bending over backwards to accommodate the Doctor's eccentricities.

Capaldi's Doctor seems to have a Hartnell/Colin Baker-ish tendency to just make snap judgement calls on people and then stubbornly insist that he's right no matter how silly or immature it makes him look. I don't doubt that - like Hartnell and C. Baker - he will mellow over time, and that he and Danny won't end up having a strong relationship (by the end of this episode he's already warming to him), but it's not unusual to see the Doctor being dismissive or condescending towards somebody he's only just met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I feel like it might just be that, for once, we know that the Doctor is wrong while he's being wrong. We didn't know that Robin Hood was actually real until after the Doctor went on his whole spiel about that, we didn't know what was going on with Rusty until the Doctor himself found out, we still don't know if he was actually scared of anything in Listen.

But we've already met Pink. We already know him as a character, we already understand where he is mentally and what he's been through. For once, the Doctor's dismissal, callousness and incorrectness is getting directed at a character that we already know well enough to be able to recognize how wrong he's being, and that makes it all look very different.

• Locked thread