Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
While it is funny how people flip out over it (and kind of annoying because some podcasts can't get over telling you how much they hate the names), I do hope that they allow more descriptive deck names than COLORS (AGGRO:TEMPO:MIDRANGE:CONTROL), because otherwise deck names are gonna get really, really samey, really really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think Jeskai and Mardu are upgrades on the terms we had before, Sultai and Temur aren't, and Abzan is kind of a wash (Junk is one syllable and catchier, however it's stupid nonsense and doesn't mean anything except that it tumbled out of Adrian Sullivan's dusty old noggin at some point around the turn of the millennium). Making a unilateral decision to use all of the clan names in coverage and writing smacks of goofy brand jockeying but at the same time it's hard to empathize with someone who's upset that new words are being 'forced on them'.

In short the clan names are a land of contrasts,

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lord Of Texas posted:

I definitely agree with Paulo on the naming of "Jeskai Tempo". Is it called that because aggro with blue must = tempo to some? To me the deck isn't Tempo unless we're calling Zoo "Naya Tempo" now.

How would it be aggro either?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yawgmoth posted:

I think it's hilarious in a "look at that :spergin: dork" kinda way. Sure, BUG and RUG have been around forever, but RWU has been "America" since its inception too. Throwing a hissy fit over deck naming is minuscule at best and sounds like the kind of thing I'd expect someone who gets mad about being offered a handshake to bitch about.

America is the dumbest thing to shoehorn into a deck name, the correct name is clearly Liberia or France.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sickening posted:

How would it be aggro either?

It's got efficient creatures to beat down with and burn spells for reach. Jeskai Aggro or Jeskai Burn are definitely the names I'd give that deck depending on its precise configuration, according to the [Color Combination] [Macro-Archetype] name scheme. Jeskai Midrange isn't indefensible either but even the classically midrangey cards like removal and Planeswalkers largely exists to clear blockers rather than to establish board control.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The people who still try to use the old Apocalypse names actually kinda annoy me now.

Those names barely exist. They're on like 4 cards each and weren't even close to pushed. Hardly anybody used them anyway. Quit being weird, guy at my shop, you're like 20, you weren't even around for those old names.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cactrot posted:

America is the dumbest thing to shoehorn into a deck name, the correct name is clearly Liberia or France.
Why do you hate FREEDOM :911:

(when I played those colors I alternated between Russia, New Zealand, and Iceland)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Lord of Hats posted:

While it is funny how people flip out over it (and kind of annoying because some podcasts can't get over telling you how much they hate the names), I do hope that they allow more descriptive deck names than COLORS (AGGRO:TEMPO:MIDRANGE:CONTROL), because otherwise deck names are gonna get really, really samey, really really fast.

Temurous Beasties
Crouching Goblin, Leaping Mantis
Hungry, Hungry Hydras

We can do this, people.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

I have a Foil Miscut Pearl Lake Ancient, but no Tromokratis, sorry :(

pm sent

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I used to call my Standard goblins deck 'The Red Army.' It never stuck. I also lost a lot.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Cernunnos posted:

The people who still try to use the old Apocalypse names actually kinda annoy me now.

Those names barely exist. They're on like 4 cards each and weren't even close to pushed. Hardly anybody used them anyway. Quit being weird, guy at my shop, you're like 20, you weren't even around for those old names.

Use of the Apocalypse wedge names probably about tripled when nerds realized they needed them to more effectively display their impotent rage over the KTK wedge names. Nobody calls WBR anything special, but try telling them it's Mardu and suddenly gently caress you it's Dega get over it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I need a snappy name for my Mardu deck that ends up dealing me an obnoxious amount of damage. I'm thinking, Assisted Suicide, or perhaps the more contemporary Death with Dignity?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hopping Ghost posted:

Use of the Apocalypse wedge names probably about tripled when nerds realized they needed them to more effectively display their impotent rage over the KTK wedge names. Nobody calls WBR anything special, but try telling them it's Mardu and suddenly gently caress you it's Dega get over it.

Mardu seems like one of the better ones to be honest. Everyone I know seems fine with it. Temur is the one people don't like.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

Mardu seems like one of the better ones to be honest. Everyone I know seems fine with it. Temur is the one people don't like.

Thats because they're 12 and wanna laugh at "RUG Delver."

I don't blame them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
You can still put silly deck names down but for coverage reasons they won't display that and instead display [color(s)] [strategy]. Those Jeskai "Tempo" decks probably had different names but were put up as Tempo because that's what they looked like to someone somehow.

I would have probably called them Burn decks myself. They're not quite aggressive enough to call Aggro and aren't quite controlling enough to call a real Tempo deck. Tempo from my understanding is all about "get my important creature out and protect it while stalling/slowing down my opponents game with counters and removal" like Delver decks.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Rock and His Millions remains king of deck names

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Yeah Mardu works, but what else would you expect, it's a strictly better Time Walk than Dega.

TicalStal posted:

Texas Tempo :dance:

North Carolina Control :bahgawd:

edit-I think I will name the next UWR control deck I make Carolina Control. I like the ring it has, and it will allow me to argue about barbecue with anyone.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 2, 2014

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Cactrot posted:

Texas Tempo :dance:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Hang on, let me pull out my list of countries with Red, White, and Blue flags...

I'm playing... Luxembourg Control. :v:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Hang on, let me pull out my list of countries with Red, White, and Blue flags...

Forget Esper control, I'm running Botswana Control!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mehall posted:

Forget Esper control, I'm running Botswana Control!

Temur is now Azerbaijani Midrange.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

As far as old timey deck names go I've always been partial to The Baron Harkonnen.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactrot posted:

Temur is now Azerbaijani Midrange.

Bonus points for sounding like Abzan.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Cernunnos posted:

So are we to take it that when they say Naya Superfriends, they mean Republic of Abkhazia Superfriends?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Cernunnos posted:

You can still put silly deck names down but for coverage reasons they won't display that and instead display [color(s)] [strategy]. Those Jeskai "Tempo" decks probably had different names but were put up as Tempo because that's what they looked like to someone somehow.

I would have probably called them Burn decks myself. They're not quite aggressive enough to call Aggro and aren't quite controlling enough to call a real Tempo deck. Tempo from my understanding is all about "get my important creature out and protect it while stalling/slowing down my opponents game with counters and removal" like Delver decks.

I also think they are more on the side of burn than any other particular archetype. It runs the most efficient burn, and backs it up with creatures that try to push efficient value. Id love it if someone tries pushing swiftspears and seeing how it goes, I decided against bringing this to Worcester after I saw painlands being the same price as shocks.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

InterrupterJones posted:

So are we to take it that when they say Naya Superfriends, they mean Republic of Abkhazia Superfriends?

I'm sorry, but it's clearly Bulgaria Superfriends! [/patriotism]

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Petition yo change Naya deck names to Italy or Mexico

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Cernunnos posted:

Hold on, do I get put on a list if I play North Korean Aggro? What if I open some bombs in draft?

EDIT: Im probably on a list now.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I really regret not playing Brandenburg Burn while Boros charm was in standard.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Pyronic posted:

Hold on, do I get put on a list if I play North Korean Aggro? What if I open some bombs in draft?

EDIT: Im probably on a list now.

Remember, for drafting you got to use BREAD!

Bombs
Remove
Europeans
And
Democrats.

BREAD!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lord Of Texas posted:

I definitely agree with Paulo on the naming of "Jeskai Tempo". Is it called that because aggro with blue must = tempo to some? To me the deck isn't Tempo unless we're calling Zoo "Naya Tempo" now.

I think it's one of those instances where the longstanding equivalence of "tempo deck" and "aggro-control deck" falls apart. It's certainly a deck that thrives on tempo. It just does it by being an aggressive/burn deck with a couple tools that confound the other guy's ability to have an accurate sense of what the clock is (Deflecting Palm, Jeskai Charm.)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
EDIT: Huh, I'm an idiot, I was wondering why this didn't show up in the Brewhaus thread, I assumed the airport wifi hosed up. My bad.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 2, 2014

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Entropic posted:

Bonus points for sounding like Abzan.
And for extra confusion, it was once part of the Timurid Empire!

Which also makes it geographically thematic with the overall set, I suppose.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I have no clue what "tempo" even means in terms of a deck or a card. :shrug:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a pretty nebulous term, but it essentially means inhibiting your opponents board development while developing your own board. Bounce spells are a pretty standard tempo card because not only are you denying your opponent the use of the creature, you also make your opponent decide between recasting the card or casting something larger which ties up their mana.

Tempo decks make sure they have the cards they want, when they want them, while denying your opponent that chance. Then you just beat them in the damage race because you have a better board state.

At least thats how I've understood it. I may be way wrong here.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
To my understanding, tempo is a temporary board advantage, often gained by sacrificing a long term advantage. For example, Dark Ritual is -1 card advantage but it's a great tempo play because it lets you get a big man fast. Bouncing a creature is also a loss of card advantage but can be good for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure what a tempo deck is, though, unless it actually is just "aggro, but you play bounce spells"

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Why do you hate FREEDOM :911:

(when I played those colors I alternated between Russia, New Zealand, and Iceland)

I always went for Dutch Control, always took a while for others to find out what I was playing. One guy even told me that orange wasn't a colour :smug:

lockdar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 2, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm really trying to push RUG Walkers as "Frontier Walkers"
It's not working. :sigh:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Hulk Gets Crabs :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Angry Grimace posted:

Tempo is Blue Aggro, the same way Sligh is Red Aggro and Stompy is Green Aggro. Sligh plays burn, which can cut blockers or go to dome; Stompy plays pump spells, which can cut removal or go to dome (or maybe slam a blocker); Tempo plays countermagic, which cuts removal and sometimes blockers. Mix and match depending on format to get Zoo, UR Delver, etc.

All these decks want to dominate the board for the first 3-6 turns, after which time they tend to run out of cards, but hopefully the opponent is dead by then. The only reason Tempo is thought of as separate from Aggro, is because it tends to play noncreature spells that can't directly convert to damage; this means the more Tempo you have in your build, the slower you tend to be playing.

EDIT: Why do I ever post in this thread without quoting who I'm responding to?

• Locked thread