Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SpliffClavin posted:

Drive thru pay-it-forwards are dumb and make me irrationally annoyed. The only generous person was the first one or anyone in the middle that spent more than they intended. And even then, you're just buying cheap McDonald's for people who were already going to buy it for themselves.

I hate it when people do cool things for each other because cool things were done for them. Everyone should keep to themselves and be grumpy. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Met posted:

I hate it when people do cool things for each other because cool things were done for them. Everyone should keep to themselves and be grumpy. :argh:

I'm buying someone else's food instead of mine WHEEEEEEEE

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

That DICK! posted:

Yeah, but then I'm the rear end in a top hat!
You already are one, no biggie.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I was in a drive through pay it forward once and it was really cool. :shrug: sorry you're bitter or whatever

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

jfc this guy

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SpliffClavin posted:

Yes, it's the expense that's the point here, not the sentiment, it's not a matter of feeling a) that other people can be nice and b) that you can do something nice to other people. Much like hugging a crying person, which we know should only be done if the crier looks like she/he might pay (or put out).

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

KoldPT posted:

jfc this guy

I know I'm gonna regret asking, but what the gently caress does the dude from Firefly have to do with any of this stupid gamergate poo poo?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JT Smiley posted:

I know I'm gonna regret asking, but what the gently caress does the dude from Firefly have to do with any of this stupid gamergate poo poo?

He desperately needs more recognition and chose probably the worst way to leverage his fanbase by saying some bullshit about gamergate.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

-retweeted by @AdamBaldwin

:jerkbag:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
And here I thought Adam was the cool Baldwin :(

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV

mng posted:

To be fair, that's a pretty low bar.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SpliffClavin posted:

The president of my university buys a coffee for the student standing behind him in line every day. What a twat.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Is "gamergate" (holy gently caress I hate saying this) still a big thing? I don't really want to get angry by looking.

KoldPT posted:

jfc this guy

But who knew that all walks of life could be horrible people!?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Is "gamergate" (holy gently caress I hate saying this) still a big thing? I don't really want to get angry by looking.

It's moved from just harassing women gamers and game devs to email campaigns to pull ads from gaming sites that called out gamergate on their poo poo.

Huh, I was gonna post a recent facebook post that used an image ranting about why should fastfood workers make 15/hr when ARE TROOPS etc, but it looks like she took it down. That's kind of a relief.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Oct 2, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Garrand posted:

It's moved from just harassing women gamers and game devs to email campaigns to pull ads from gaming sites that called out gamergate on their poo poo.

I still can't quite understand how Intel caved to a bunch of random assholes. The gently caress are these dudes going to do when they buy a new PC? They're sort of the only game in town.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I'm really surprised that the "gamergate" thing hasn't imploded yet. When you go from 4chan and reddit doing their "rah rah feminists" thing to loving Breitbart and AEI being your main media allies how do you not take a look at yourself and realize you're being loving played?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I still can't quite understand how Intel caved to a bunch of random assholes. The gently caress are these dudes going to do when they buy a new PC? They're sort of the only game in town.

AMD?

Also I don't understand Gamergate anymore. I saw an article from Breitbart of all places outing a bunch of journalists in a list of... something. It just stuck out at me because Rob Zacny and Tom Chick were on it and I thought those guys were pretty okay and the article was never clear on why it was supposed to be this huge damning expose in the first place.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Crain posted:

I'm really surprised that the "gamergate" thing hasn't imploded yet. When you go from 4chan and reddit doing their "rah rah feminists" thing to loving Breitbart and AEI being your main media allies how do you not take a look at yourself and realize you're being loving played?

Honestly, if I were a company looking at gamergate, Breitbart alone would scare me away from doing anything that might be interpreted as supportive of gamergate. I suspect it might just have been "some of these nerds got together and sent a lot of emails in a short time to Intel freaking them out" since nobody else has really shown any signs of doing anything for the gamergate crowd. If I'm right, I'm fairly sure Intel will say it was an accident or something soon because if I were a stockholder of Intel and I asked "So why did you pull those ads, what changed your mind?" and they pointed me to gamergate, I'd probably jump boat to AMD on the spot.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Thanks for making me look this up and get angry.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Dammit Gamersgate just keeps getting really dumber.

So two high school teachers had a threesome with a 16 year old student and were arrested for it. I didn't even have to guess this time what the comments were going to be like. Public comment section so screw making them anonymous.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mng posted:

If cool as in not actually related to any of the other Baldwins, then yes - he's still the cool one.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Lblitzer posted:

So two high school teachers had a threesome with a 16 year old student and were arrested for it. I didn't even have to guess this time what the comments were going to be like. Public comment section so screw making them anonymous.

"Hell yeah I wish *I* was statutory raped by authority figures!"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Crain posted:

One of the Breitbart articles is literally titled "Lying Greedy Promiscuous Feminist Bullies are Tearing the Video Game Industry Apart" :jerkbag: Clearly an exemplar of objective journalistic integrity.

I'm starting to think those artifacted jpegs about millenials being terrible are right.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Most people still don't build their own PCs though, and a lot of people who try still gently caress it up hilariously. If you look at prebuilt computers, there's a massive preference for Intel even though AMD is a totally valid choice.

Regardless it should have been obvious that this tiny minority of consumers was not worth the inevitable backlash.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

mng posted:

He's not one of the Baldwin brothers.

Edit: beaten.

Lblitzer posted:

"...The funny thing is that most of the female teachers that are doing this are good looking women that can easily get someone of age and not a student."

Well, yeah. They are sexual predators because they prey on people that don't feel like they can say no. That's why it's a bad thing. People also wouldn't want to high-five the kid if the teachers were a pair of geriatric women or a pair of dudes. (I have no clue if these teachers were actually attractive, just going by this guy's comment).

Bored has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Oct 2, 2014

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

mng posted:

Because he was in Firefly? He didn't write that nerd poo poo. He was just paid to act in it.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gamergate is still going because it's just the same human garbage gamers who have always been around under a new name.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tetracube posted:

Gamergate is still going because it's just the same human garbage gamers who have always been around under a new name.

Guys I think it's time I admit it: I have a sjw fetish. Just thinking about smashing the patriarchy, it's too much to handle.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

GamerGate is Benghazi for a younger generation.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Bored posted:

He's not one of the Baldwin brothers.

Edit: beaten.

"...The funny thing is that most of the female teachers that are doing this are good looking women that can easily get someone of age and not a student."

Well, yeah. They are sexual predators because they prey on people that don't feel like they can say no. That's why it's a bad thing. People also wouldn't want to high-five the kid if the teachers were a pair of geriatric women or a pair of dudes. (I have no clue if these teachers were actually attractive, just going by this guy's comment).

It's about a 60:40 ratio of dude-bros high-fiving each other and people calling it like it is: pedophilia, child molestation, and statutory rape. The most prolific argument is simply the same scenario, but gender swapped. That gets the message across the most, sadly.

As for the teachers: One was 24, the other 32; but that doesn't matter. It's child molestation and fraternization with an abuse in the power dynamic of being an authority figure.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Krispy Kareem posted:

If cool as in not actually related to any of the other Baldwins, then yes - he's still the cool one.
I really liked Alec Baldwin in 30rock :smith:
I mean he said some really dumb stuff but celebritywise that puts him in the middle unfortunately.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_are_better_than_you/twitter-meltdowns-ruining-your-favorite-actors-for-you-since-2006.php

adam baldwin is kinda a dick.

i read somewhere once that he told a firefly fan to kill herself after having an abortion because she was raped. no idea how true that is, my google skills are failing me today.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Vriess posted:

It's about a 60:40 ratio of dude-bros high-fiving each other and people calling it like it is: pedophilia, child molestation, and statutory rape. The most prolific argument is simply the same scenario, but gender swapped. That gets the message across the most, sadly.

As for the teachers: One was 24, the other 32; but that doesn't matter. It's child molestation and fraternization with an abuse in the power dynamic of being an authority figure.

I saw a post about it on Imgur and the absolute worst comments about it are the "Well maybe he consented, then it wouldn't be rape would it didn't think about that huh. :smug:" posts like, no, gently caress off, adolescents are still in the process of developing their cognitive control system, and, likely connected to that, are more sensitive to (peer or otherwise) pressure than adults. They make bad decisions. A lot. Is it really that difficult to imagine that a situation where a fully cognitively developed adult (two of them in this case) having sex with someone with diminished decision making abilities may just set off some alarm bells, regardless of whether or not he "wanted it"? Do these people not remember making a single decision as a teenager that they look back on as an adult and go "WOW, that was stupid"?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Because he was in Firefly? He didn't write that nerd poo poo. He was just paid to act in it.

No just in general, before he dipped his toe in the gamergate stuff. TBH I've followed very little of it lately and don't really care other than it makes a lot of people pop their veins in anger.

And for the other replies, I just figured he was a Baldwin brother, it's not exactly a common surname :shobon:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm 32. I couldn't possibly imagine loving a kid I taught. What the bloody hell. I know some high schoolers. They are not adults. Gross.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mng posted:

No just in general, before he dipped his toe in the gamergate stuff. TBH I've followed very little of it lately and don't really care other than it makes a lot of people pop their veins in anger.

Nah, Baldwin's been a reactionary Tea Party gun nut for years. As someone said (here or in another gamergate discussion), he's the person his character John Casey (from "Chuck") is supposed to be parodying.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school

SpliffClavin posted:

Drive thru pay-it-forwards are dumb and make me irrationally annoyed. The only generous person was the first one or anyone in the middle that spent more than they intended. And even then, you're just buying cheap McDonald's for people who were already going to buy it for themselves.

I had someone do this for me at Starbucks. It was really sweet, and it made my whole day :unsmith:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kazil posted:

GamerGate is Benghazi for a younger generation.

This is pretty dead-on; both stemmed from unfortunate circumstances (on completely different levels, of course) and have since been co-opted as a rallying cry by morons with terrible opinions whose obsessions will produce exactly zero positive change.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

I hate knowing as much about it as I do, but Twitter drama is my reality TV: Adam Baldwin started the gamergate hashtag when posting a video about the Quinn bullshit. That was before they'd even decided that it might be good PR to have an agenda that wasn't transparently childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Comments count, right?

"Some people have refused to listen to me merely because I used Breitbart as a source"
:laffo:

• Locked thread