Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

How many times has someone had two idols on survivor? James and Malcolm? And Val wants everyone to believe she has two of them in the first week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have barely paid attention to this episode. I wonder if my interest in survivor is waning...

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

Toaster Ding posted:

How many times has someone had two idols on survivor? James and Malcolm? And Val wants everyone to believe she has two of them in the first week?

Parvati. And didn't Russell have two at one point?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
RAWWWWWWWWKSSSSS

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

One of the guys supposed to vote for Baylor must have flipped. Josh, I guess.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Will Val become the second person voted out with two idols?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I told you to play your idols!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
"Now I'm going to look like a liar to your husband!"
*Votes Val*

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
What the hell... revote

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Haw, nice job protecting Val, Rocker.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Survivor continues its eugenic tradition

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Midnightghoul posted:

Will Val become the second person voted out with two idols?
Hahahaha. Such a funny lie. Everything about this was funny, especially that John Rocker still apparently believes she has two idols, even though he has an idol, and they're only one tribal council into the game. She didn't even really need to have an idol to beat that 3-3 plan once Rocker leaked it to her, but it must've been someone flipped or something.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Haw, nice job protecting Val, Rocker.

He's showing his true colors. That is, his true hatred of all colors

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hahahaha I wonder if Rocker will give his idol to Julie.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Val has to be one of the worst Survivor players of all time. Was there even any reason to believe she was in danger? What the gently caress was the point of that? It was like watching someone throw themselves off a cliff because they were afraid of tripping

edit: "It worked for a little while"? It didn't work for 5 minutes

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The funny thing about Rocker is that he was certified, grade-A goat even before the season started.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Midnightghoul posted:

He's showing his true colors. That is, his true hatred of all colors

I bet John Rocker broke all the crayons except for white when he was a kid.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

:words: big moves big moves BIG MOVES

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Toaster Ding posted:

Val has to be one of the worst Survivor players of all time. Was there even any reason to believe she was in danger? What the gently caress was the point of that? It was like watching someone throw themselves off a cliff because they were afraid of tripping.

Well, she was on exile island when everyone on her tribe was getting to know one another, she had one of her only allies betray her and the other one was voted off, leaving her with one person she had any reason to trust. Oh, and she has a likable and strong family member on the other tribe, although it's tough to tell how well the opposing tribe can gauge things like that.

She way overplayed her hand but she was probably doomed anyway. I appreciate her going down as a kind of insane person who burned Baylor's game on her way out

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I loved Baylor's reactions to getting votes, like she was surprised to be receiving them after being explicitly told she would receive them

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

xbilkis posted:

Well, she was on exile island when everyone on her tribe was getting to know one another, she had one of her only allies betray her and the other one was voted off, leaving her with one person she had any reason to trust. Oh, and she has a likable and strong family member on the other tribe, although it's tough to tell how well the opposing tribe can gauge things like that.

She way overplayed her hand but she was probably doomed anyway. I appreciate her going down as a kind of insane person who burned Baylor's game on her way out
She's also the one that threw together a woman's alliance that was counting on the gay guy joining them to even make sense. She could've just tried to blend in or make friends with some of the men or something. Then at least if she got voted out she could've blamed her husband.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like the edit is set up for Jeremy to do himself in because he gets too pissy about his wife

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like the edit is set up for Jeremy to do himself in because he gets too pissy about his wife

lol if he's gonna act like he's totally outraged about Rocker's past when he was willing to be a season long ally with him the day before

Also, Val hosed up by saying all that idol stuff before Rocker even had a chance to let her know about the deal with her hubby

savinhill fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 2, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

xbilkis posted:

She's the type of person that I would assume could have blended right in and not be on anyone's radar to vote off right away though. But she went and lied about having 2 idols right away and put some sort of giant rear end target on herself for no reason at all. Like she could have made the merge just by not lying right off the bat...

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Chalk Val up for the annual "Too Hard, Too Fast" Award.
She recklessly sunk herself by bigging herself up far more than necessary for the situation.

Yer in a tribe with a known racist meathead and you couldn't make any attempt at a backroom play to get him out?
Instead, you take the full brunt of the assault because you think you have acting chops?
Ummmm, o.k. I guess.

GJ;GE :/

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That entire plan and vote was ridiculous. If Val had just quietly convinced one more person to vote for Baylor she would have been just fine. John (and everyone else really) believing Val had 2 idols was just insane. I love the Blood vs. Water emotional moments, but with a cast thus far so boring and dumb, I have doubts about this season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I dont get why people are blaming John for the fact that Val got voted out. He did all he could to protect her really, and it would have worked if Val had not lied to him. She was terrible at the game and her husband did much more to get her voted out than Rocker ever could by volunteering for the first challenge.

But to be honest, I have no clue about power structure of the blue tribe. We need them to go to tribal just to see who is working with whom for real.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Toaster Ding posted:

Tony had two last season, didn't he?

Ghostpilot posted:

"Now I'm going to look like a liar to your husband!"
*Votes Val*

He tried his best but still voted with the tribe because...

Fast Luck posted:

Hahahaha. Such a funny lie. Everything about this was funny, especially that John Rocker still apparently believes she has two idols, even though he has an idol, and they're only one tribal council into the game. She didn't even really need to have an idol to beat that 3-3 plan once Rocker leaked it to her, but it must've been someone flipped or something.

They split the vote Val-4/Baylor-2 because they figured out that Rocker was tipping off Val. Knowing this, they put Rocker on voting Baylor with one other vote. Then on the revote he votes Val because that's what the tribe agreed to and there's no sense in endangering himself if the revote is still going to go 5/3 against Val.

Even if Val survived this week, who knows how long Rocker could protect her because she'd still on the wrong end of a 4-3 (at best - her, Jaclyn, Rocker) split next week.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Val is going to get so much poo poo at the police station for getting beat in that challenge, she barely put up a fight. So far I don't think too many brainiacs have stepped up into the spotlight since they're mostly focusing on Rocker and Baylor.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I dont get why people are blaming John for the fact that Val got voted out. He did all he could to protect her really, and it would have worked if Val had not lied to him.

I still don't understand why she thought it was a good strategy to lie about having idols. Good job putting a target on your back when there wasn't really that big a risk of one even being there. If she'd just shut the gently caress up and not tried to poke at everyone then she might have survived. Ah well. She was useless in challenges anyyway (as useless as Rocker this episode), so maybe she was right that she was in line to be on the chopping block, but why the hell would you guarantee yourself top spot by telling people you have two idols? Meh.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 2, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The worst was when Rocker told her about the vote splitting plan and how she had to play an idol after and she still maintained the lie. Did she not understand that she was definitely getting voted off at this point without her imaginary idol?

Adventure Show
Mar 7, 2013

savinhill posted:

The worst was when Rocker told her about the vote splitting plan and how she had to play an idol after and she still maintained the lie. Did she not understand that she was definitely getting voted off at this point without her imaginary idol?

3 of the guys plus her and Jaclyn voting out Baylor would've sent her home, but Josh flipped.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Adventure Show posted:

3 of the guys plus her and Jaclyn voting out Baylor would've sent her home, but Josh flipped.

Josh voted for Baylor again (in the first vote) according to wiki. I was surprised by that too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Adventure Show posted:

Either Josh was assigned to vote Baylor and flipped, which made the guy-vote 4-2 before her and Jaclyn tied it...
or, as Lone Goat suggested, the group thought it was fishy Rocker was talking to Val, and they decided as a group to make it 4-2.

Regardless, Val was right that her and Jaclyn could have decided the vote if it were 3-3, which is why she kept up the lie, and it was also smart for them to split the votes 4-2 as they ended up doing, for that same reason.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
After tribal council it was very clear that Val and Jaclyn would be voting for Baylor, which was very stupid. It seemed to me that the guys as a group decided on a 4-2 split and Val was clued in, otherwise she should have talked about targeting someone else to hide her real intentions. My guess is that Josh saw Rocker and Val, the guys talked about whats going on, Rocker told them that he told Val about the vote split plan, they decided to reduce Baylors votes by one, Val went home.

Rocker did not seem shocked by the 4-4 tie and blamed Val for not playing her idol, which makes me pretty sure he was in on the strategy.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Rocker did not seem shocked by the 4-4 tie and blamed Val for not playing her idol, which makes me pretty sure he was in on the strategy.

This was because it was the plan that just about everybody knew about and had agreed upon, including Val. There was a scene where Rocker told Val about this plan and said she needed to play her idol before the revote and Val chose not to tell him the truth, preventing any chance of a new plan being made to save her.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
It's just funny that the second episode gets less than 2 pages of posts.

RIP Survivor, let's just go back and watch Thailand again and again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Val very stupidly overplayed and the "two idols" lie was ridiculous but I don't blame her for trying. She was in trouble the whole time after being on the wrong end of the vote last week. She was definitely the obvious target this week so she had to try and do something. She just did it all wrong.

But Rocker is a special kind of idiot for believing she had two idols after he found an idol of his own. I mean, what the gently caress? I knew he was a racist rear end in a top hat but apparently he's also dumb as poo poo. I'm suddenly totally on board with him being cast if its all about watching him get beat at everything and be a total rear end in a top hat about it. Go scorched earth, Jeremy. Watching the Fall of Rocker will be fun as long as Josh doesn't gently caress it all up trying to drag him along as a goat. Which seems like a super bad idea with someone that toxic this early.

I mean, I know he's safe next week because of the idol but still. The way things are going I'd be shocked if he makes the merge. Since the twin stayed in the game here's hoping he's the one who quits when everyone starts calling him a racist.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
I'm all for hating on John Rocker, but I don't think he actually believed she had two idols. It's just hard to protect someone who is blatantly (and badly) lying to you like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Eh, Survivor usually takes a while to get interesting

In the meantime, enjoy everyone making GBS threads on John Rocker

• Locked thread