Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013

Galick posted:

Yo, two requests, one much more viable than the other.

#1: My friend and I are looking for a multiplayer game that has a massive amount of custom content and stuff - building your own bases, designing your character and clothing from the ground up, etc. We are not looking for The Second Life. Do not expect this one to be filled, but it'd be amazing if it were.

#2: Same friend and I are also looking for what amounts to a multiplayer fantasy RPG. Not the new Divinity game though (they've already played through it) and not Dark Souls - already have the latter. Any help folks?

Darkfall Unholy Wars might be something along the lines of request #1? It doesn't offer too many different things with regard to the character customisation, but it's a very interesting approach to MMORPGs when it comes to offering a 'sandbox-like' way of playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

lenoon posted:

Simple and decent war game? Unity of Command springs to mind! Dirt cheap too.

This is a good recommendation, though it's not a strategic level game really if that's what your looking for. More of an operation level game.

Any of the close combat games are actually pretty good if you want simple tactical stuff, though don't expect a meaningful campaign.

And if you don't mind real time tactical stuff (not RTS style, more like Hearts of Iron) or if you are into the American Civil War or Civil War era battle tactics you should check out Take Command: 2nd Manassas (2nd Bull Run for Northerners) or Scourge of War (newer and covers the Gettysburg campaign).

I like 2 Manassas more because it's been out for nearly a decade and there are a substantial amount of mods. Scourge of War is newer and the mods are fewer, but there are "expansions" covering other campaigns and at least one big Napoleonic conversion mod.

Also, as far as these tactical games I mentioned go, they are really simple to learn and Close Combat has pbem functionality.

Close Combat is actually what I'd out of the box recommend for the guy asking about a simple, tactical game with no production and multiplayer features. It's just not fantasy or Sci-fi.

For this you might also check out The War Engine. I've heard mixed things about it, but never felt like dropping the money to muck around with it.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 2, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So which of the hundreds of dynasty warriors games is actually best to start with? It's so confusing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
7 Extreme Legends.

Gundam 3 if you like giant robutts

Warriors of Hyrule if you want something pretty.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

For this you might also check out The War Engine. I've heard mixed things about it, but never felt like dropping the money to muck around with it.

You can get The War Engine for free off of Matrix's site now so you don't have to drop money at all for it any more. I was a little underwhelmed by it when I gave it a run though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

So which of the hundreds of dynasty warriors games is actually best to start with? It's so confusing.

My favorite is the "xtreme Legends" version of 3. It's for PS2, though, but it's still the most fun one, for me.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Genpei Turtle posted:

You can get The War Engine for free off of Matrix's site now so you don't have to drop money at all for it any more. I was a little underwhelmed by it when I gave it a run though.

This is what I hear from about 60% of my war gaming friends. The other 40% are enamored with the scenario building and the like, which I'm just not in to.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So here's a sorta tough one:
I want to play a game that is awesome in the way that DX:HR is, but I'm limited in platforms. I have a 360 and a modern-ish PC (AM3+, don't judge me I didn't choose the processor) that I haven't put a graphics card into yet (but will soon, like next payday) and any recommendations on PC have to be controller-friendly, preferrably without an add-on since it's set up on my TV like a HTPC, I control it over VNC for basic stuff and use the 360 controller for games. WASD just doesn't work with a trackpad. I tried some early MGS stuff on the PC but I find the first one awkward to play and I can't get a PS2 emulator to work well enough for the sequels (lol I have like 4 actual PS2s with worn out lasers). Borderlands/2 is pretty close in gameplay but didn't quite scratch the itch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tommychu posted:

So here's a sorta tough one:
I want to play a game that is awesome in the way that DX:HR is, but I'm limited in platforms. I have a 360 and a modern-ish PC (AM3+, don't judge me I didn't choose the processor) that I haven't put a graphics card into yet (but will soon, like next payday) and any recommendations on PC have to be controller-friendly, preferrably without an add-on since it's set up on my TV like a HTPC, I control it over VNC for basic stuff and use the 360 controller for games. WASD just doesn't work with a trackpad. I tried some early MGS stuff on the PC but I find the first one awkward to play and I can't get a PS2 emulator to work well enough for the sequels (lol I have like 4 actual PS2s with worn out lasers). Borderlands/2 is pretty close in gameplay but didn't quite scratch the itch.
Dishonoured? Depends what you liked about DX:HR.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Are there any first person shooters out there that have ragdoll/animation systems similar to Euphoria? I love the gunplay in Max Payne 3 and GTA: V. But until GTA: V comes to the PC I have no idea what is available.

I think it looks ridiculous when you shoot someone from the side and they lurch over forward. Have any FPSs come out that have better animation systems?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Alright so a couple of weeks from now I'll be spending 26 straight hours either in the air or getting hammered at an airport bar. What can I get for the 3DS to keep me from trying to jump out of the plane from boredom?

Google says Monster Hunter but from what I hear it's not an easy game to get into and even then its hit or miss.

Games I own: Pokemon X, Animal Crossing and Bravely Default.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Beartaco posted:

Alright so a couple of weeks from now I'll be spending 26 straight hours either in the air or getting hammered at an airport bar. What can I get for the 3DS to keep me from trying to jump out of the plane from boredom?

Google says Monster Hunter but from what I hear it's not an easy game to get into and even then its hit or miss.

Games I own: Pokemon X, Animal Crossing and Bravely Default.
Fire Emblem, easily.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I concur, Fire Emblem.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
And bought, thanks guys!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Super Smash Bros just came out too didn't it?

Is The Forest cool? I'm looking for a game that lets me build a base that I have to defend. I want to control a character directly, and ideally don't want to be the only person around. Are any of them good for that? Not interested in the game where you get a wooden wall up and you're never in danger again.

Life is Feudal hit Steam recently and that looks a lot like what I want. Pretty high price tag to go in blind though.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 4, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there anything out there like a Heroclix CCG online?

Or even for the iOS, stuff like the Star Wars Assault Team game that just got shut down?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NeoSeeker posted:

Are there any first person shooters out there that have ragdoll/animation systems similar to Euphoria? I love the gunplay in Max Payne 3 and GTA: V. But until GTA: V comes to the PC I have no idea what is available.

I think it looks ridiculous when you shoot someone from the side and they lurch over forward. Have any FPSs come out that have better animation systems?

It's not quite as silly as the ragdolls in GTA and Max Payne, but Rage has some pretty impressively reactive enemies. I'm not sure if it's ragdoll or just a huge range of canned reactions, but it's probably the closest thing I can think of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rage is hand animated but there's hundreds of animations for every possible weapon, direction, and movement of the enemy.

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there anything out there like a Heroclix CCG online?

Or even for the iOS, stuff like the Star Wars Assault Team game that just got shut down?

Card Hunter. It's a turn based tactical squad game with a tabletop aesthetic and highly customizable move sets. And probably one of the sensible f2p games out there.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

RAGE has Euphoria. I'm surprised this has been use so little, I was very impressed with Max Payne 3's enemy reactions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria_(software)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RAGE is Rockstar's game engine. Rage is the idtech 5 game.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Hope this is the right thread for it but with the release of the most recent LOTR game, can anyone tell me whats good from the previous wave?
IIRC there were some good rts ones?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hollenhammer posted:

Hope this is the right thread for it but with the release of the most recent LOTR game, can anyone tell me whats good from the previous wave?
IIRC there were some good rts ones?

Both Battle for Middle Earth games were pretty decent, yes.
LEGO LOTR is one of the best LEGO games

I've heard The Third Age was decent but never played it myself.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Is there anything that has an open-world, single player kind of thing like Skyrim, but with combat that feels more like Dark Souls/Monster Hunter/PSO2? Grim-dark atmosphere is a plus.

Edit: VVV My fault for not specifying, I'm on a PC. No Dragon's Dogma for me.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 5, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Buried alive posted:

Is there anything that has an open-world, single player kind of thing like Skyrim, but with combat that feels more like Dark Souls/Monster Hunter/PSO2? Grim-dark atmosphere is a plus.
Dragon's Dogma.

The combat isn't quite Dark Souls but it's still a lot better than Skyrim.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Esoteric request incoming: I'm looking for turn-based tactical games where you control a team but the goal isn't primarily "Kill everyone on the other team." Invisible Inc put a stealth twist on things and there's Blood Bowl and Frozen Cortex with the sports themes, but are there any others?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Esoteric request incoming: I'm looking for turn-based tactical games where you control a team but the goal isn't primarily "Kill everyone on the other team." Invisible Inc put a stealth twist on things and there's Blood Bowl and Frozen Cortex with the sports themes, but are there any others?

Not a legit recommendation, but it definitely reminded me of a game called Capture the Flag I used to play in the 90s, for DOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRmuM_iwoo

I thought it was so interesting how you could crawl, run, or walk, and scan areas to increase your vision, and so on. It's not something I think you'd really want to play, but it totally scratched that same itch for me. (In 1993)

(And apparently the shareware is still downloadable here: http://www.carrsoft.com/ctf/capture_the_flag_game.html )

It even runs in Windows, which I don't remember being the case. I look forward to more modern answers to your question, though. :)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Goddamn, so many memories of playing that game. And it's really amazing how loving polished the mechanics and the UI were in 1993.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles for what I played it but I stopped because it is too easy.

Is there another rpg this vast (I would play FFXII, but I don't have a ps2) that I can sink my teeth into?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not quite as silly as the ragdolls in GTA and Max Payne, but Rage has some pretty impressively reactive enemies. I'm not sure if it's ragdoll or just a huge range of canned reactions, but it's probably the closest thing I can think of.

My experience with RAGE on the PS3 has scarred me for life. Though since I played it I bought a super spec desktop with... a solid state drive. Thanks for reminding me, I'll try it out again but proper on this rig. I do remember the gunplay being pretty sweet despite every frame containing some kind of texture buffering.

That game should just come preinstalled on an SSD.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 6, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They definitely ironed all the bugs out of idtech 5 and MEGATEXTURES with Wolfenstein The New Order and what we've seen of The Evil Within. Speaking of good FPS' with beefy guns and gory deaths, definitely get Wolfenstein.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

PC games that might be good for gaming fatigue? Maybe something co-op and semi-mindless with drop-in/drop-out? Been thinking about trying a Lego game or Marvel Heroes. I want to play something but every time I get bored before the tutorial is over.

If Dynasty Warriors 8: XL Had online I would be all over it...

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 6, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, I'm so stuck. I've played Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Gnomoria, Prison Architect, SpaceBase DF-9, AND KeeperRL, while they each have a piece of what I like I can't get one to stick. :cry:

Has there been any UI improvements for Dwarf Fortress? That's really been my biggest issue is no matter how hard I try I can't get anywhere in the game.

rizuhbull posted:

PC games that might be good for gaming fatigue? Maybe something co-op and semi-mindless with drop-in/drop-out? Been thinking about trying a Lego game or Marvel Heroes. I want to play something but every time I get bored before the tutorial is over.

Warframe is fun, the stuff takes time to make so you don't have to play for too long, and the missions are pretty easy.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Warframe is fun, the stuff takes time to make so you don't have to play for too long, and the missions are pretty easy.
I played it for a bit when it first came out, not really what I'm looking for.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

al-azad posted:

They definitely ironed all the bugs out of idtech 5 and MEGATEXTURES with Wolfenstein The New Order and what we've seen of The Evil Within. Speaking of good FPS' with beefy guns and gory deaths, definitely get Wolfenstein.

Forget rage. I was under the impression the new wolfenstein was in the same vein as say, Soldier of Fortune 3.
I just looked it up on steam and was sold after looking at the videos and such.

Also how much of a realistic impression are we seeming to get of Alien Isolation? It seems like the horror game I've been wanting ever since I read the first look at Dead Space like ten years ago. Dead Space seemed like true survival horror, I even got a bit of a hint that we couldn't even "kill" any enemies at all.

I think the shooting part of survival horror is more of a tool than a means to an end. Weapons should be considered a deterrent or a means of slowing your enemy down. You shouldn't be concerned with ending life, but instead preserving your own. Even if it means running away screaming like a child firing with reckless abandon at the slimy growls growing ever closer behind you.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 6, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

According to a bunch of podcasts I've been listening to, Alien is two games put together: an incredibly strong game of hide and seek against an immortal stalker (the game even trains you to look up, how many horror games do that?) and then a second half that turns into a weird slow paced shooter. And apparently it's a long game. Like 15-20 hours long.

Some people hated the second half while others think it was important to empower the player late game but all agree the first half is amazing.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I wonder if they could ever get it right. Like for some people it's expected they never really even get a good look at their enemy, even when they get guns. Through post process effects like motion blur, lighting and simply running forward while shooting backward. I'm betting they do it right but for what it's worth it's been done well before. I don't know exactly how they could do it but making a player feel helpless even with big guns would be a really fun ride.

Don't get me wrong, the game feels like it might be a giant step in the right direction. The true horror game genre has really been dying out. It's becoming a niche thing and that's completely awful, to me, as I see it as one of the top defining genres of gaming. If it dies a part of me will go with it.

Remember when most games had legitimately scary sections just normally? (Max Payne, Half Life, Doom etc)

\/As I recall that was up to subjection. Also at the time I was like in middle school (it made me nearly piss myself. Admittedly that's partly due to... procrastination).

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 6, 2014

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Remember when most games had legitimately scary sections just normally? (Max Payne, Half Life, Doom etc)

Let us not forget the haunted house in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. When I first played it I was completely unprepared for the pure horror of that part of the game (and that early!) and it blew me away.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, how did I never play Alpha Protocol before? I'll have Turn Up the Radio stuck in my head for months. Braykoooooo! :argh:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DeathChicken posted:

Man, how did I never play Alpha Protocol before? I'll have Turn Up the Radio stuck in my head for months. Braykoooooo! :argh:

The entirety of games journalism mysteriously conspired against it to such a degree that the only logical conclusion is that it had to have been coordinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I would have to agree. Most all of the small time critics said it's a decent game. But overall there was a giant conception it was a piece of poo poo deus ex ripoff. I guess that was a misconception. I think even Yahtzee liked it. But it's hard to tell if he likes a game or not.

It's not like it's a bad thing either, basically everyone was forced to wait till the price dropped due to prejudice.