Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I hate crowdsurfing/stagediving just because at 6'4" I am the prominent iceberg that the titanics of legs, fists and boots always seem crash directly into. Looks cool from a distance when I am not being kicked in the face though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
lmao, ShoogaSlim really pissed up the place.

Have some good 'n weird poo poo to turn the tables:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkt2YxvIHKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Re1zuUicFw

Tar Babies completely rip. They offered a nice variety of funk-punk jams as well as more straight-forward hardcore albums. You should check them out if that sounds like your bag.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I leave you guys for a weekend and look what happens. Let's just listen to this really good cover and chill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f67FeMPc5A0.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Its painfully obvious which people go to actual local shows and who just shows up when some headlining act rolls through town. Surprise: its the assholes that dont come to local shows that are the ones that say "PUNK SHOWS SHOULDNT BE SAFE" and mosh around like an idiot running into smaller people. Some weekend warrior bullshit that is painfully pathetic.

Moshing is fine but you obviously have to check your strength. You do no mosh into a 110 person the same you do a 200 pound person. If you are a 200+ pound person you probbbbbbably shouldnt be stage diving either. We actually have stage diving banned at our local club because someone was literally paralyzed from it. But you know, you risk being paralyzed when you walk through those doors PUNK ROCK.

I am so happy that groder rear end bullshit like that is rejected and fizzling out in my own little scene. People finally realized how stupid it is, and that is even down here in the deep south. Its also mostly why I stand off to the side in big shows and stay away from the amateur hour mosh pit bullshit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

To be fair, most local punk shows are very bad

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

To be fair, most local punk shows are very bad

It's really funny to hear people from places like Boston say this, when I've been to so many sick punk gigs in my home town of 50 000 people (Kouvola, Finland), and in any case I could list probably probably like 50 very good active Finnish punk bands, when this whole country has roughly as many people as the Greater Boston area. Is it just that USA is really bad at punk rock? I mean I know it is, but do you guys think so as well?

Trolling aside, I 100 % agree with Smash it Smash hit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ras Het posted:

. Is it just that USA is really bad at punk rock? I mean I know it is, but do you guys think so as well?

Yes.

Around my neck of the woods it's mostly samey metalcore, samier powerviolence, or guys that like Street Dogs.

But in the interest of SUPPORTING THE SCENE, Funeral Cone are a good band and good folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad5kjofFKaA

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 30, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ras Het posted:

It's really funny to hear people from places like Boston say this, when I've been to so many sick punk gigs in my home town of 50 000 people (Kouvola, Finland), and in any case I could list probably probably like 50 very good active Finnish punk bands, when this whole country has roughly as many people as the Greater Boston area. Is it just that USA is really bad at punk rock? I mean I know it is, but do you guys think so as well?

Trolling aside, I 100 % agree with Smash it Smash hit.

Local punk scene here in Raleigh / the southeast is pretty good

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Wait, really? Boston is one of the cities fuckin killing it lately when it comes to hardcore and nearly every major US city has cranked out AT LEAST 3 or 4 ripping bands in the last couple of years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just like naysaying and I'm tired of most local shows.

I'm sure the rest of America has fun local shows. It's a big crazy world out there, stranger things have happened.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Don't you guys think it's really weird (dumb) to have a thread be a catch-all for punk emo and hardcore? Obviously shows are much different at Converge (the favorite example given in the last page or two) than they are for Joyce Manor or whatever other local crappy band you like to go see on Wednesday nights.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Idk. We already have a metalcore thread that can just as easily fit a band like Converge. I think it's weirder that we have both umbrella threads and subgenre threads (for instance, why is there a black metal thread and a stoner/doom/sludge thread, but everything else belongs in the general metal thread?). There's a ton of crossover between fans of emo and modern hardcore and the thread doesn't move all that fast anyway.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
yeah, and what about the under-represented clowncore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvRoDd6xP-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um7g132Jz2E

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snowing loving rules and I can't stop listening to them.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes.

Around my neck of the woods it's mostly samey metalcore, samier powerviolence, or guys that like Street Dogs.

But in the interest of SUPPORTING THE SCENE, Funeral Cone are a good band and good folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad5kjofFKaA

Street Dogs rule :colbert:

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Joyce Manor are a cool band that young attractive people like. sorry!

rabidsquid posted:

Snowing loving rules and I can't stop listening to them.

This, forever

e; The punk I listen to nearly always has at least ideas of community and inclusiveness as vague ideals. I think the people who are pissed off the loudest about the stage diving thing don't give a poo poo about the band or any kind of community around it and just get pissed off to get prissy and indignant. I don't know how you couldn't watch the videos and not think they;re completely reasonable. In the first one he asks the guy politely not to do it again and they shake hands, in the second the guy did it to be antagonistic and a dick and gets a rise from Barry. Because he is being a macho dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOEYmx0-vjM

Gabbleduck fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 2, 2014

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ShoogaSlim posted:

Don't you guys think it's really weird (dumb) to have a thread be a catch-all for punk emo and hardcore?
I don't think that's weird or dumb, no.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's my opinion on stagedivegate: I went to a Suicide Machines reunion show and a fat dude went up and he landed on me and I went down with all my weight on one elbow and I cracked the end of one of the bones and it hurt to use my arm for like a month after that and I was working at fedex and throwing boxes around all night and if I bumped it I had to bite back whimpers and it didn't heal right so I have a little lump on my elbow still and that's awesome stagediving rules.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 2, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
b

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 15, 2017

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

The last couple of punk shows I have seen did not have a stage to jump off of so problem solved

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Stravinsky posted:

The last couple of punk shows I have seen did not have a stage to jump off of so problem solved

yeah where are all these people seeing punk shows on stages :confused: *squeezes out of basement for fresh air*

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

It makes me feel like I'm at home

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Stravinsky posted:

I'm also stage edge

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Stravinsky posted:

It makes me feel like I'm at home

me too cause it usually is my home :smug:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I helped a girl find her glasses on the floor at the Emery / Norma Jean show last night. This was after I stage dove into her general area. I asked if she was ok and she said yes.

I'm a stand-up guy I hope JM approves.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Good post / custom red title combo, at least.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

ShoogaSlim posted:

I helped a girl find her glasses on the floor at the Emery / Norma Jean show last night. This was after I stage dove into her general area. I asked if she was ok and she said yes.

I'm a stand-up guy I hope JM approves.

Joyce Manor is as relevant to the type of shows you go to as a fuckin jazz band from Peru, who cares and please stop posting about it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can someone ask this jazz band from peru how they feel about stagediving

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
whoa... name checking emery and norma jean like it isn't extremely shameful to like that poo poo. don't see that every day.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
loving the mental image of a 30yo guy attending a norma jean show and stage diving

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 2, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

People Are Supposed To Stop Liking Music When They Get Older - a poem by stay depressed

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

People Are Supposed To Stop Liking Music When They Get Older - a poem by stay depressed

Norma Jean has been churning out unlistenable dogshit for teenagers for over a decade now.

I'll admit the first album is still kind of a guilty pleasure for me though.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

ShoogaSlim posted:

Nahhhh but stopping stage diving is a good idea leave it to the kids and enjoy the music.

Last time I stage dived it was at a Send More Paramedics show which seemed fitting but my god I was aching for days after.....

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Like if you're at a Norma jean show and you're 30, you've almost certainly got 10+ years on everyone else there - especially everyone else at the front of the stage - so yeah you should probably stop flinging your 200lb body at teens & tweens

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Bless the Martyr came out in 2002 and The Weaks End came out in 2004. Do you really think I was the only person there my age?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Being too old for certain music is one thing but you're definitely too old to keep shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Bless the Martyr came out in 2002 and The Weaks End came out in 2004. Do you really think I was the only person there my age?

Yes? *glances at judges* Yes, I'm gonna go with yes.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Norma Jean still rules, though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Something Awful came out in 1999 do you think I'm the only shitposter here my age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It is entirely possible that, as a 26 year old adult, I have fallen out of the loop of what's going on with swoop-hair mall music in 2014