Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Johnny is a high end art jeweler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

OssiansFolly posted:

No there is definitely a difference between regular super glue and jewelers cement. They may SEEM similar in their appearance and abilities, but they are different chemically and for use. My mother and my best friend make jewelery using semi-precious and precious stones and precious metals...if you just use regular super glue it doesn't stick and is an irritant to skin (jewelery is often worn close to skin). It isn't designed to be the ONLY thing used to secure a stone or metal, but it can be used to supplement existing settings to help hold the stone in place.

Hutla posted:

Johnny is a high end art jeweler.

For reference, since it's a new page. Yeah, the "Jewler's cement" might be slightly different but it's still essentially superglue. It might be OK for, for lack of a better term, "lower end" stuff, but if I would never ask for it on anything like an engagement ring.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
I just wanted to point out that gluing something in place is usually a very bad idea because the glue will eventually fail. If the jewelry's metal can't hold it in place alone then the glue is just a temporary fix that will likely end in tragedy.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
The wedding is only 23 days away (counting today) and we've been wrapping up details with the vendors. We still don't have programs, I need to get the marriage license, we've only got about half the RSVPs back. We're trying to get someone to hang paper lanterns in the reception area because the venue director says she doesn't want anyone who isn't a vendor to do it. We have to buy a guest book and a card box and what seems like a million other tiny things need to be done.

I feel pulled in a million different directions and of course my Fiance is useless because he is an opinionless robot.

I guess this is normal and everyone else in this thread is there or has been there. But every day I just lay in bed and think about all the poo poo I have to get done. It's hard for me to even get excited.

:ohdear: :) :supaburn: :toot: :byodood:

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
How the hell do you find affordable places for huge weddings? We're probably going to be stuck with a guest list of 300 and every time I think about the cost (after having tried searching on the Knot for venues) I die a little bit inside. :(

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The best way to control your cost is shrink your guest list!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The best way to control your cost is shrink your guest list!

This. If you wouldn't recognize each other if you ran into them on the street don't invite them. If it's parental pressure just pick a smaller venue then you have a legitimate excuse not to invite third cousin Sally and her boyfriend.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
It's impossible, unfortunately. This is going to be on the small side for a wedding where one side of the family is Indian and I'm fairly sure there are going to be a lot of hurt feelings and resentments involved as is.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Buggiezor posted:

The wedding is only 23 days away (counting today) and we've been wrapping up details with the vendors. We still don't have programs, I need to get the marriage license, we've only got about half the RSVPs back. We're trying to get someone to hang paper lanterns in the reception area because the venue director says she doesn't want anyone who isn't a vendor to do it. We have to buy a guest book and a card box and what seems like a million other tiny things need to be done.

I feel pulled in a million different directions and of course my Fiance is useless because he is an opinionless robot.

I guess this is normal and everyone else in this thread is there or has been there. But every day I just lay in bed and think about all the poo poo I have to get done. It's hard for me to even get excited.

:ohdear: :) :supaburn: :toot: :byodood:

Step 1: Take an antihistamine (JK)

Delegate some stuff that you know other people can help with. RSVPs can be chased down by a hands on parent, lanterns can be pushed onto maid of honor, and can your fiance really gently caress up buying a box and book...?

You got this...home stretch...think of all the sighs of relief and booze you will get in 23 days!

(For the record you sound like my fiance...she is in panic mode and we still have 12 months to my wedding 10/03/2015)

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I keep trying to tell myself that what's REALLY important is already done. We have the Officiant, Photographer, DJ, Caterer, Baker, and Florist all set to go.

But two of my bridesmaids hate each other, they're arguing because apparently my Bachelorette party is getting too expensive for some of the girls to be happy. My MOH lives 2 hours away so while she's doing her best, it's hard to have her help. One of the groomsmen couldn't get his poo poo together in time to order/get fitted for his tux so now he's out of the wedding party and our Bridesmaids/groomsmen ratio is now uneven. My mom is FREAKING OUT about anything that's not done and that's not helping my stress levels. The venue changed their alcohol license last month and now all drinks have to go through them and we can't bring our own (which would have been much cheaper) and they didn't even call to tell us. We found out when we went to walk the property again and noticed they had completely renovated the "Groom's room" to make it into a Bar and now the Groom's dressing room is a much smaller room down the hall.

6 months ago I kept telling people I wasn't stressed because as long as I married the right man, everything else was just extra. But now I am not sure I feel that way anymore.

As long as I marry the right guy that's all that REALLY matters, right? ....RIGHT?!?

:ohdear:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

A Game of Chess posted:

It's impossible, unfortunately. This is going to be on the small side for a wedding where one side of the family is Indian and I'm fairly sure there are going to be a lot of hurt feelings and resentments involved as is.

Where are you looking at so far? You might have to branch out into non-traditional wedding venues to get decent pricing. Like...airplane hangars? I'm only kind of half kidding. The only places I can come up with off the top of my head are all "Traditional" wedding venues. Like hotels, party halls, etc. that will all ding you pretty heavily for just mentioning the word "wedding".

What's your venue budget like, and where are you?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

When I was researching venues I noticed that outdoor venues have way bigger capacity levels than indoor venues. So if you don't mind risking an outdoor wedding, you could look into parks and golf courses and such. Depending on where you live (and your budget) you could also try to rent out a museum or a room in a convention hall if you want to do indoors.

Buggiezor, what I found helped in the "I hate everything and everyone involved with this why didn't we elope" phase a few weeks out was to set aside an hour or so every night to deal with wedding poo poo then not think about it outside of the pre-arranged Wedding Hour. If I thought of something I needed to do at some other point in the day I'd add it to a list on my phone so I wouldn't forget.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Buggiezor posted:

The venue changed their alcohol license last month and now all drinks have to go through them and we can't bring our own (which would have been much cheaper) and they didn't even call to tell us. We found out when we went to walk the property again and noticed they had completely renovated the "Groom's room" to make it into a Bar and now the Groom's dressing room is a much smaller room down the hall.

That sounds like a breach of contract on their part. There's nothing you can do about the grooms room since it's now a bar, but you should press them to honor their previous booze policy. It's way more expensive to buy alcohol through a venue versus providing your own. And it's really messed up that they didn't bother notifying you of the change.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Two weeks to go. Some difficulties with a family member. Nothing like a wedding to show you who needs to be removed from your life post-wedding :)))))))))) *twitch*

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

LogisticEarth posted:

Where are you looking at so far? You might have to branch out into non-traditional wedding venues to get decent pricing. Like...airplane hangars? I'm only kind of half kidding. The only places I can come up with off the top of my head are all "Traditional" wedding venues. Like hotels, party halls, etc. that will all ding you pretty heavily for just mentioning the word "wedding".

What's your venue budget like, and where are you?

We are in Philadelphia but are looking in South Jersey and counties as well. One of my fiancé's cousins got married in a hotel in Princeton and managed to keep it to $50 a head but that was also with an Indian buffet, which my family probably won't eat. So I guess I've mostly been looking at cheaper hotels and whatever venues you get on wedding sites after checking "up to 300".

We are still waiting to get the final guest list from his parents and we are trying to keep the entire budget at 40k. Even typing that out makes me nervous though.

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 4, 2014

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Whoops, double post, sorry.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Welp, weddings off for me. That was a fun lesson. Anyone have experience or advice in selling engagement rings? I know it's unrealistic but I'd like to get as much as I can for it. I'm in Seattle now but travel home to Chicago often, would selling in a bigger market get a better price perhaps?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

A Game of Chess posted:

We are in Philadelphia but are looking in South Jersey and counties as well. One of my fiancé's cousins got married in a hotel in Princeton and managed to keep it to $50 a head but that was also with an Indian buffet, which my family probably won't eat. So I guess I've mostly been looking at cheaper hotels and whatever venues you get on wedding sites after checking "up to 300".

We are still waiting to get the final guest list from his parents and we are trying to keep the entire budget at 40k. Even typing that out makes me nervous though.

My wife is an event planner near Philly and I have a friend who does marketing/managing for the Philadelphia String Quartet and they have a few ideas. I'm phone posting now but I'll see if I can get a small list of suggestions together.

Off the top of her head my wife suggested The Foundry in Phoenixville, which is huge and looks great, although I'm not sure about price.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it any suggestions you might have.

And that's so funny, our friends are actually getting married at the Foundry this month, so I can at least take a look there.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Not an Anthem posted:

Welp, weddings off for me. That was a fun lesson. Anyone have experience or advice in selling engagement rings? I know it's unrealistic but I'd like to get as much as I can for it. I'm in Seattle now but travel home to Chicago often, would selling in a bigger market get a better price perhaps?

Dude that's really sad I'm so sorry :(

You could try seeing what the vendor will take if you can sell it back to them?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Not an Anthem posted:

See if a jeweler will let you consign in the store...usually they will take a percentage, but if it is in the store they want their percentage to be bigger so they will work to sell it for more too. Also, sorry to hear that everything fell apart...didn't mean to sound callus.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
5 weeks remain.
Fiance is having a bad week because money is starting to get tight now as we pay off venue and whatnot and in the mean time her dad is asking her for money because my future in laws are crazy irresponsible with money and need to pay their flood insurance for this year.
On top of that, her mom just vetoed her good friend attending the bridal luncheon because of petty jealousy nonsense. As a result, she doesn't want to do her bridal portraits on Friday now and called to cancel her makeup trial and they told her she couldn't.

I'm going to borrow from the home buying thread when I say "do never get married"

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Five weeks before the wedding and the father of the bride is hitting up his daughter for cash for a regular bill like flood insurance? I mean, yeah people have money problems and not everyone is rich but that's just lovely, not to mention the stereotypical guest invite BS.

Just start the E/N thread now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LogisticEarth posted:

Five weeks before the wedding and the father of the bride is hitting up his daughter for cash for a regular bill like flood insurance? I mean, yeah people have money problems and not everyone is rich but that's just lovely, not to mention the stereotypical guest invite BS.

Just start the E/N thread now.

That's just the tip of the in-law iceberg to be honest. Luckily once the wedding is over, there is little reason to put up with this poo poo.
Just gritting our teeth and powering through this and will do our damndest to have the best time ever at this wedding.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

couldcareless posted:

That's just the tip of the in-law iceberg to be honest. Luckily once the wedding is over, there is little reason to put up with this poo poo.
Just gritting our teeth and powering through this and will do our damndest to have the best time ever at this wedding.

This is your friendly reminder that if you both are planning on severing after the wedding, you are allowed to sever before the wedding. It'll probably give you less of a headache, and hey! More room on the guest list.

(This depends a LOT on how your partner feels, though, they would obviously have to be on board for that kind of stuff.)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

couldcareless posted:

5 weeks remain.
Fiance is having a bad week because money is starting to get tight now as we pay off venue and whatnot and in the mean time her dad is asking her for money because my future in laws are crazy irresponsible with money and need to pay their flood insurance for this year.
On top of that, her mom just vetoed her good friend attending the bridal luncheon because of petty jealousy nonsense. As a result, she doesn't want to do her bridal portraits on Friday now and called to cancel her makeup trial and they told her she couldn't.

I'm going to borrow from the home buying thread when I say "do never get married"

Not sure where the in-laws are located, but Lloyds has been moving into the flood insurance industry...may be able to find something cheaper here. That is of course if you can trust the in-laws to ACTUALLY follow through and get the quote/policy.

(Not sure if this helps as you are still lending money, but it may not be as much)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Men's wearhouse just price matched theblacktux.com. They said that the Vera wang tux costs 240 to rent but I had a 40 coupon and they would cut 25$ more off. So it ended up being 175$. Sweet I liked this tux a lot anyway :woop:.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
T minus 6 days. This time next week I will be a married woman. I am freaking the gently caress out! I have had to get a script for Xanax to get me through. I can't wait till this is all over.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

T minus 6 days. This time next week I will be a married woman. I am freaking the gently caress out! I have had to get a script for Xanax to get me through. I can't wait till this is all over.

Sweetheart! I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm in the same boat though admittedly I'm not intensely nervous more like moderately but my sleep is garbage.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

You should assign a bridesmaid to be your mental bodyguard the day of if you're pretty sure your nerves will be shot. Everyone and their mother will be coming out of the woodwork the day of with advice, most of which won't be helpful at all. My bridesmaids could tell I was getting super pissed at everyone (no gently caress you I'm not eating an entire loaf of french toast for breakfast when I can barely choke down a bowl of fruit) so they took it upon themselves to tell people to gently caress off on my behalf and I'm super grateful.

And mimosas. Drink lots of mimosas. Sugar to keep you going and alcohol to calm the nerves!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

And mimosas. Drink lots of mimosas. Sugar to keep you going and alcohol to calm the nerves!

Uh, let be serious here, white russians have a lot more protein and are a more balanced meal.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Good advice guys. I'm giving my phone to my bridesmaid and the coordinator who will be 90 mins away in the little town where it's all happening is going to field all questions on the day, filtering through to her only the most urgent and unanswerable-by-anyone-else questions.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I fully plan on having mimosas there as it is really the only socially acceptable alcohol for 8AM (when the hair dresser arrives.) And I will be giving my phone to the bridesmaid that will have no problem to tell people to promptly gently caress off. I am so thankful for my coworkers watching out for me. I was supposed to work today, but they found another nurse to cover my shift and told me to stay home and get poo poo done.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Bloody Marys have vegetables, so it's healthy, right?

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
My boyfriend (well, I guess he's my fiancee now!) proposed Saturday on our three year anniversary :woop: Completely surprised me, he popped the question when we were chilling out at our favourite coffee place in the middle of running around the city buying food for Thanksgiving dinner (We're in Toronto).

We've decided to do a tiny ceremony at City Hall in a few weeks with just us, each of our best friends, another super close friend who's a photographer, and our parents, and then a big party in the summer. We don't want to wait at all and we would have gone down and gotten married the same day he proposed if everything hadn't been closed for the weekend :3:

But now I'm putting my planning hat on and there's still so much STUFF to do, rings and hair and ties and permits and gah! I have no idea how y'all do this for huge weddings!

Anyway, my first real question: what is the best metal (and what is a good place to order from) for lightweight but durable men's wedding bands? My fiancee is the GM of a restaurant and needs a ring that can look bitching while surviving emergency plumbing repairs and dirty dishes and all that jazz.

And now, off to tell my family at Thanksgiving brunch and his family at Thanksgiving dinner :dance:

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I bought my fiance a titanium ring with a sterling silver band for his engagement ring. It's essentially fiance-proof - hard to scratch, nearly impossible to bend. There is a risk if he gets a hand injury. They are so hard that if the finger swells, they may not be able to take off the ring, and possibly have to cut off his finger. It's a risk we're willing to take. Also it was only about $80USD.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

I'm not a doctor but every one I've ever asked about the "rings you can't cut off" question has pretty much said it's BS. Most emergency rooms would have tools that can cut through most ring materials. Titanium is actually fairly easy to cut.

Personally, I went with cobalt chrome and have been really satisfied. I work with my hands frequently and its still shiny, round, and (mostly) smooth a year later. The perfect mirror polish it came with now has a pleasant patina of micro scratches that give it a bit of character.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'll third titanium. I have completely annihilated sterling silver rings because of how rough I am on them; I always forget to take them off. Any ring I've ever worn is totally deformed into a weird oblong shape and is covered in dents and other damage. I've knocked gems completely out of bezel settings. This ring is incredibly sturdy, incredibly comfortable, and has put up with all the abuse I can dish out. Get the comfort band, though, I can't imagine it being comfortable otherwise.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Also, for everybody who likes WC rings, seriously get them on amazon/ebay/whatever. My initial ring was US$200. It was too large. So my wife bought me two rings for ~US$20/each. They all look equally cool.

You can pay extra for an artist to make your ring, as well you should (I did with my wife's rings) but don't pay more than you have to for generic rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Getting married next September, so plenty of time, but what good is extra time if you can't spend it freaking out? We're planning a semi-destination wedding in the mountains and our problem is estimating our guest list. I don't understand how any wedding planning is possible when invitations don't even go out until 6-8 weeks before the event. HOW do you estimate expected numbers, which affect EVERYTHING? How can I possibly know what size tent to order, how to budget food costs, how many rooms to reserve, etc? We have a very preliminary estimate of 130-150 people (out of 200+ invitees), but I honestly have no idea how accurate that is - how do you guess if random family members and friends will make the trip and spend the overnight?

So is there any way to ask people politely and in a non-tacky way for an informal RSVP way before the invitation? A friend of mine suggested putting an option to RSVP early on our wedding website. Anyone have experience with something like that? Any other advice/suggestions?