Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I meant Sleepy Hollow as the good one and House and HIMYM as the bad ones, I didn't look at his Wikipedia or anything.

It now occurs to me that he was on in the good seasons of HIMYM and it was actually Kumar in the bad ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't even remember him being in the show to be honest.

I remember Kumar though, and yes... they were bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kitchen Confidential was a funny show. Bradley Cooper looks nothing like Anthony Bourdain though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can't even remember him being in the show to be honest.

I remember Kumar though, and yes... they were bad.

He was Marshall's boss at the super sellout lawyer job he took.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Aphrodite posted:

I meant Sleepy Hollow as the good one and House and HIMYM as the bad ones, I didn't look at his Wikipedia or anything.

It now occurs to me that he was on in the good seasons of HIMYM and it was actually Kumar in the bad ones.

Yeah, John Cho was only in one episode of HIMYM, where he's seducing Marshall to join his law firm. He was great in it. Kal Penn was Robin's therapist/boyfriend. That was the awful plot.

Kitchen Confidential was amazing. I'm sad it only had one season, but the season is absolutely worth watching. Someone here said that it may be for the best it only got one season, because it went through all the hilarious scenarios that working in a kitchen would give you, so it kinds of stands as a great comedy mini-series.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

Kitchen Confidential was a funny show. Bradley Cooper looks nothing like Anthony Bourdain though.

But at the same time you know Bourdain would've been absolutely delighted with that casting (even though at that point I'm guessing nobody knew who Bradley Cooper was yeah?).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

But at the same time you know Bourdain would've been absolutely delighted with that casting (even though at that point I'm guessing nobody knew who Bradley Cooper was yeah?).

He had already been on Alias for a couple of years at that point, so I knew who he was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I only ever watched a few episodes of Alias. It seemed one of those shows where if you missed an episode you wouldn't be sure who was on which side anymore, based on how it started. Seemed fun enough though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
There were a lot of great things about season one of Sleepy Hollow but John Cho: Demonic Temp was definitely one of the brighter points.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^John Cho as a demon in a burning Washington's secret tomb.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah I only ever watched a few episodes of Alias. It seemed one of those shows where if you missed an episode you wouldn't be sure who was on which side anymore, based on how it started. Seemed fun enough though.

It also involved yelling at the screen wondering why no one put a bullet in a certain characters head, due to him betraying them a bunch and ordering the deaths of their loved ones.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is definitely the case. The first two seasons are still worth a watch, though. Just make up your own ending after that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bobkatt013 posted:

^^John Cho as a demon in a burning Washington's secret tomb.

It also involved yelling at the screen wondering why no one put a bullet in a certain characters head, due to him betraying them a bunch and ordering the deaths of their loved ones.

Wasn't he immortal or some bullshit by the end?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

IRQ posted:

Wasn't he immortal or some bullshit by the end?

Yes. But only for like a minute before he ended up trapped in a cave under some rocks for the rest of time. Alias got pretty lovely after season 2, but drat if those first 2 seasons weren't solid.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2nd episode of Madam Secretary only got a 1.4 but did have 12.72 million viewers. I wonder if CBS will hold onto it if a lot of those are older, wealthy viewers.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

thrawn527 posted:

Selfie may be one of the worst pilots I've ever seen. It got mildly better at the end, so I'm going to hope they just had to show how terrible she was so we can see her grow, and I'll try next week as well. But it's basically starting from a negative 4 stars from me. That scene where the Zoey Deschanel neighbors make her over while singing Lady Gaga to the tune of a ukulele was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Holy poo poo that was bad. If this didn't have Karen Gillan and John Cho, I would have already bailed. I'm just hoping against hope they get better material. Lots of good shows have bad pilots.

...right?
It depends on how tolerant you are of how Kapnek does hyper-reality; if you've watched Suburgatory you might be inoculated, but it's a little tough to swallow at first. But Selfie seemed promising by the final act so I'm sure that's why it got greenlit. Also hopefully there isn't a stupid amount of patriarchy involved since Selfie is pretty much a Pygmalion/My Fair Lady adaptation, so we'll see.

Manhattan Love Story was pretty weak in my eyes; if it was supposed to be a romantic comedy, they really missed the comedy part. There were maybe 2 or 3 actual jokes in the whole thing. The internal monologue thing is neat once in a while but they really overused it to the point of explaining the obvious at times.

besides guys, A to Z is on tonight, which I thought was vastly superior. And then there's Marry Me. And if all the half-hour romantic comedies suck I guess you can go (re)watch You're the Worst.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm quite glad that I've got most of YTW saved up to watch, because the new sitcoms this year seem mainly whack. I'm hoping for the best out of Marry Me but it didn't have the best reception to the pilot. All hope for Mulaney is now out the window, Sepinwall has said the 5 episodes they've been screened were pretty much all rubbish and goes nowhere. It's a goddamned shame because Mulaney is a really funny dude, and I had hope that he could make the MC format work but no. Frustrating.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thrawn527 posted:

Yes. But only for like a minute before he ended up trapped in a cave under some rocks for the rest of time. Alias got pretty lovely after season 2, but drat if those first 2 seasons weren't solid.

His death was also the only good part of the finale. Once they did the time skip it went all to hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

the Zoey Deschanel neighbors make her over while singing Lady Gaga to the tune of a ukulele

Uh, holy poo poo. This sounds like Ultimate Twee Bullshit. :stare:

e: and that's ME saying that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Rambaldi stuff was the coolest poo poo in Alias, it sucks that they didn't make the focus of the show instead of wasting most eps pretending that Russia was a relevant superpower/threat in the post-9/11 world and coming up with a zillion excuses for Jennifer Garner to impersonate a sex worker.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A to Z to me also didn't bring the laughs, immediately veering into sentimentality and romance before we even have a reason to like the protaganists. It feels like part of a wave of similar styled shows, like a reflex against more cynical fare like 30 Rock and Its Always Sunny.

EDIT: The ukelele thing was played for laughs. I think they were in the joke there. But Selfie isn't the most deft thing at keeping up with the times.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: The ukelele thing was played for laughs. I think they were in the joke there. But Selfie isn't the most deft thing at keeping up with the times.

I think that was part of the problem. Sure, they were in on the joke, but the joke still wasn't funny. I could tell it was trying very hard to be clever, but it never pulled it off. Hopefully they figure it out.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Rambaldi stuff was the coolest poo poo in Alias, it sucks that they didn't make the focus of the show instead of wasting most eps pretending that Russia was a relevant superpower/threat in the post-9/11 world and coming up with a zillion excuses for Jennifer Garner to impersonate a sex worker.

Hah, one of my favorite things about Nikita was the variety in her undercover missions. Not everything involved a wig and a seedy foreign club.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Josh Lyman posted:

2nd episode of Madam Secretary only got a 1.4 but did have 12.72 million viewers. I wonder if CBS will hold onto it if a lot of those are older, wealthy viewers.

The only thing on TV that is watched by wealthy people from start to finish is golf.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do not care what any of you people think, Modern Family is still one of the most well written shows on TV.

edit: The Dunphy parts, anyways. The other two thirds are still very good, but I'd watch hours upon hours of Phil, Hailey and Luke doing everything together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

The only thing on TV that is watched by wealthy people from start to finish is golf.

And Castle, apparently.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yoshifan823 posted:

I do not care what any of you people think, Modern Family is still one of the most well written shows on TV.

edit: The Dunphy parts, anyways. The other two thirds are still very good, but I'd watch hours upon hours of Phil, Hailey and Luke doing everything together.

Agreed. Back when I didn't watch the show, I would get so mad when they were nominated for so many Emmys. Then I started watching it.

Carry on, Emmys. You at least get that part right.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

They need to rename it "Madam Secretary Knows Best". She's always right so far and has the perfect answer, while the President, Chief of Staff, Aids, Press, Children are all aggressively wrong about everything. She also controls special forces ops, telling the President afterwards what happened.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

PowerBuilder3 posted:

They need to rename it "Madam Secretary Knows Best". She's always right so far and has the perfect answer, while the President, Chief of Staff, Aids, Press, Children are all aggressively wrong about everything. She also controls special forces ops, telling the President afterwards what happened.
Sounds like Madam Secretary should become an American warlord

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PowerBuilder3 posted:

In reflecting on the pilot, I said it felt like a 90s movie copy of The West Wing, and episode 2 didn't convince me of anything different.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Josh Lyman posted:

In reflecting on the pilot, I said it felt like a 90s movie copy of The West Wing, and episode 2 didn't convince me of anything different.

So it felt like The American President?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

Sounds like Madam Secretary should become an American warlord

Wait until 2016.

Also, I'm watching the Selfie pilot, and while Karen Gillan still cannot act, the show itself is a nice followup to Suburgatory. ABC missed a big ol' chance to have Carly Chaikin (Dahlia Royce) play Eliza Dooley, because she was born to say Emily Kapnek's dialogue.

edit: This is the most twee thing I've ever seen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

So it felt like The American President?
I've never seen The American President.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's good it's like a 90's movie copy of The West Wing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, I'm watching the Selfie pilot, and while Karen Gillan still cannot act, the show itself is a nice followup to Suburgatory. ABC missed a big ol' chance to have Carly Chaikin (Dahlia Royce) play Eliza Dooley, because she was born to say Emily Kapnek's dialogue.

I don't think I've ever seen Carly Chaikin outside of being Dahlia so I dunno if I should now.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Carly Chaikin outside of being Dahlia so I dunno if I should now.

I haven't but I've seen her play the ür-Eliza for three seasons, that's good enough.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yoshifan823 posted:

I missed it the first time through, but the boardroom scene is actually very funny and, I hope, indicative of what the show will be like moving forward now that they're done introducing the characters and their pathos.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thank god she yelled at Henry, I thought the show was just gonna let him keep getting away with being the most obnoxious douche known to man.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Wait until 2016.

That character was okay in doses, but a lead character with the Dahlia Royce valley girl accent would make my ears bleed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Thank god she yelled at Henry, I thought the show was just gonna let him keep getting away with being the most obnoxious douche known to man.
I think at that point it would just be FULL PATRIARCHY MY FAIR LADY adaptation, which would be gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Agreed. Back when I didn't watch the show, I would get so mad when they were nominated for so many Emmys. Then I started watching it.

Carry on, Emmys. You at least get that part right.

So you think Modern Family is better than Parks and Rec, Its Always Sunny, Louie, Veep, 30 Rock, or any other good comedy show in the last handful of years?

• Locked thread