Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

we're not going to have drone fighter aircraft because the air force needs people to be able to be fighter pilots otherwise nobody would sign up for their branch

I assume classified UAVs and drones are both vastly superior to manned aircraft at this point

i suggested in one of the various cool airplane threads that manned fighters are doctrinally unnecessary these days because they're basically just carriers for advanced guided missiles at this point and HOOOO BOYYYY you would not believe how mad some people get about such things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

i suggested in one of the various cool airplane threads that manned fighters are doctrinally unnecessary these days because they're basically just carriers for advanced guided missiles at this point and HOOOO BOYYYY you would not believe how mad some people get about such things

but airplanes are so :cool:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

a plane with the same capabilities of an f-22 without a pilot is going to cost the same as an f-22 with a pilot, how hard is that to understand

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also, USAF drones have a tendency to fall out of the sky:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/06/20/when-drones-fall-from-the-sky/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

we're not going to have drone fighter aircraft because the air force needs people to be able to be fighter pilots otherwise nobody would sign up for their branch

I assume classified UAVs and drones are both vastly superior to manned aircraft at this point

iirc they're looking into swarm tech where you have a fighter pilot 'mothership' surrounded by a cloud of smaller drones capable of maneuvers that would kill a human

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

a plane with the same capabilities of an f-22 without a pilot is going to cost the same as an f-22 with a pilot, how hard is that to understand

yes thanks for that brilliant insight

a plane doesn't need to have the same capabilities as an f-22 because the f-22 itself is doctrinally unnecessary. you can put up a drone loaded with ten amraams and the same radar set and have 95% of the functionality. a plane that can sustain 9g is not going to significantly improve the odds of a hit with a missile that's capable of 40g

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

would navy pilots be automated though?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefect posted:

but airplanes are so :cool:

fighter jets are the coolest waste of money on the planet, but they are 100% a waste of money nevertheless.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

computer parts posted:

would navy pilots be automated though?
plus I'm p sure a couple years ago I read about a drone landing on a carrier at night which is pretty much jet landing hardmode

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

why arent trains automated? they seem like a prime candidate, considering that no matter what the timetable is no train will occupy the same space

lots of trains are automated. some systems like PATCO in the philly area have had automated train control operational since 1969, though often running manual departures for certain portions of the day just to ensure the operators can control the thing in event of problems.

Sagebrush posted:

yeah this is why theres minimal interest in making drone fighters too. sure you can put it through high g spins or whatever that would kill a living pilot but doing such things is unneccesary when you can just throw a bunch of air to air missiles into the air from regular drone types

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

yes thanks for that brilliant insight

a plane doesn't need to have the same capabilities as an f-22 because the f-22 itself is doctrinally unnecessary. you can put up a drone loaded with ten amraams and the same radar set and have 95% of the functionality. a plane that can sustain 9g is not going to significantly improve the odds of a hit with a missile that's capable of 40g

a missile in a 40g turn just wasted all of its kinetic energy and is falling to earth harmlessly. manned fighters cannot maintain 9g for particularly long because they slow down so quickly that they no longer have the energy to support that.

as in the article i linked, at the moment state of the art drones lose contact with controllers and need to be shot down by manned aircraft. we're a long way from this stuff being useful for anything that isn't expendable

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

...pilots relying too much on automation

or rather, not understanding said automation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the number of military problems that can be solved with an airplane is shrinking, when was the last time there was any air-to-air combat, the first iraq war?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Necc0 posted:

iirc they're looking into swarm tech where you have a fighter pilot 'mothership' surrounded by a cloud of smaller drones capable of maneuvers that would kill a human

this is likely going to happen with soldiers, too

imagine a single marine deployed into a warzone, surrounded by a buzzing cloud of semi-autonomous drones ranging in size from insect to large cat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

imagine a single marine deployed into a warzone, surrounded by a buzzing cloud of semi-autonomous drones ranging in size from insect to large cat

this is literally from a lovely military scifi book I read, richard dietz?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

the number of military problems that can be solved with an airplane is shrinking, when was the last time there was any air-to-air combat, the first iraq war?

how are we fighting isis right now again?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

i'm imagining a bunch of little drones falling to earth after their 5 minute battery life is expended

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

not air-to-air, that's for sure

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Necc0 posted:

option!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

apparently by spending a few billion to help Iraqis airdrop food, water, and ammo to them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

right... but bombing certainly is a solution that requires airplanes or long range missiles and our drones seem to have a tendency to fall out of the sky

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm imagining a bunch of little drones falling to earth after their 5 minute battery life is expended

terrorism works the same way

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

this is literally from a lovely military scifi book I read, richard dietz?

if it is then it's an example of convergent thought evolution

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm imagining a marine having to cj 10 different lowest bidder proprietary oses.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I think you mean fighter jets and/or bombers. I'd imagine cargo planes and troop planes will still be needed if we plan on invading all the countries we want to in the next few years

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
none of this would be needed if we just lived like it was the 1800s.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its fun to think about these cool robots

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

right... but bombing certainly is a solution that requires airplanes or long range missiles and our drones seem to have a tendency to fall out of the sky

icbms would be the ideal solution here. unfortunately it's impossible to tell from the launch flare you spotted whether an icbm is carrying regular warheads to syria or hydrogen bombs to moscow

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

it's for the chinese

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the chinese air force is mostly sitting at a 1960s-70s level of technology right now, with a few things comparable to the f-15c (ie the usa's last generation air superiority fighter) and they only have one partially functional aircraft carrier that they bought from the russians. they aren't a threat to the usa.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 2, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it would be cool if the chinese marines got themselves some fixed-wing jets like our marines have, just for the novelty of hearing a newscaster say "the people's liberation army navy's army's air force"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

the future of infantry combat is those dog robots with mounted machine guns running through buildings, deployed from self driving cars and controlled from a base in Kansas by virtual reality headset wearing gamers

which brings us back to Google, which has a stake in almost all of these

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

the chinese air force is mostly sitting at a 1960s-70s level of technology right now, with a few things comparable to the f-15c (ie the usa's last generation air superiority fighter) and they only have one partially functional aircraft carrier that they bought from the russians. they aren't a threat to the usa.

also they will just explode a low-yield nuke near any carrier that threatens them

carriers are so fuckin dumb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cargo planes, B-52s, A10s and a bunch of cruise missiles are pretty much all we need at this point

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we use tons of JDAMS guides bombs, mostly delivered from light attack aircraft

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

cargo planes, B-52s, A10s and a bunch of cruise missiles are pretty much all we need at this point
squadrons of a10s are on their way to the middle east right now to battle isis, somehow despite the fact that the air force has been trying to decommission them and replace them with zoom zoom fighter jets for 25 years for being too drat vulnerable to ever get close to any sort of combat

http://www.in.ng.mil/NewsandMedia/tabid/247/ArticleID/69/Release-122nd-Fighter-Wing-Plans-to-Deploy.aspx

a good plane

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

we use tons of JDAMS guides bombs, mostly delivered from light attack aircraft

any plane can drop a jdam, the us has implied permanent air superiority in that they'll just blow up any country's air force before they do anything else anyway, attack aircraft are a 20th century concept

the AC-130U "Spooky" is a cool plane too, just flies slowly around the battlefield with a light artillery piece pointed at the ground

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qirex posted:

any plane can drop a jdam, the us has implied permanent air superiority in that they'll just blow up any country's air force before they do anything else anyway, attack aircraft are a 20th century concept

the AC-130U "Spooky" is a cool plane too, just flies slowly around the battlefield with a light artillery piece pointed at the ground

its kinda hosed up to call it a battlefield when a plane that any man-portable anti-aircraft missile could shoot down easily can loiter for hours overhead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

they decided that the f-22 was so good at air superiority, so far in advance of anything else on the planet, that the DoD invented a new term and now call it an "air dominance fighter" lol

next year's will be the air dominance fighter extreme titanium maxxx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

incidentally if anyone in the bay area would like to see the navy and air force burn up several million dollars of taxpayer money turning an unrenewable resource into noise and wind in the name of entertainment, fleet week is the 9th to the 13th so come to the waterfront and see the planes

• Locked thread