Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Been doing some Adventure Mode stuff in Hyrule Warriors and came across something odd. Went in a level, and I was grabbing material all over the place, but then at the end of the level when it was counting up what I got, it only gave me four things. This should be impossible since I grabbed a ton of material bags, so I'm not sure what the deal was. My weapon did have a Material+ ability on it so maybe it's a thing where I get way less material than I actually picked up, but it's higher quality? It seems like that should be in the skill description of that's the case, otherwise it's kinda misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

My roomate was a bid Zelda fan, and picked up Hyrule Warriors. It's pretty great, but he hasn't played ANY of the previous Warriors games. I think he's sold on the idea now. I've got a 360 and he has a ps3. It looks like DW8XL is still the new hotness. Does anyone know if it's better for either console? Does XL just have extra content?

I've not played a DW game since the Xox, and just found out I miss them!

Chiming in a bit late but for someone who is new to the franchise, I think DW7 would be the best to start with since it gives much more context for the battles than DW8 does.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you care at all about having context, then eah, DW7 is the way to go. That game even has some decent writing in places, surprisingly.

If you just want to kill dudes, DW8 though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Been doing some Adventure Mode stuff in Hyrule Warriors and came across something odd. Went in a level, and I was grabbing material all over the place, but then at the end of the level when it was counting up what I got, it only gave me four things. This should be impossible since I grabbed a ton of material bags, so I'm not sure what the deal was. My weapon did have a Material+ ability on it so maybe it's a thing where I get way less material than I actually picked up, but it's higher quality? It seems like that should be in the skill description of that's the case, otherwise it's kinda misleading.

Have you already got 99 of whatever the lower level material you were probably getting lots of on that stage because you can't pick up any more than that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hyrule Warriors has been a ton of fun and making me want to pick up another title in the series after avoiding it since renting Dynasty Warriors 6 from Gamefly about six years ago and returning it the same day. Eyeballing DW8 on Steam, but probably best to wait for the next sale on it so I probably try Warrior Orochi 3 as the game sounds pretty ridiculous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dynasty Warriors 6 is the worst game in the series by a landslide, so yeah, don't use it as a barometer for the series at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure why I thought Hyrule Warriors's story mode would end so soon. I forgot the whole shtick of DW games.

There isn't some indicator in Legendary or Adventure mode of expected level, is there? Some of the Adventure levels have easy ones sitting right next to "fight two characters who take almost no damage at your level in an enclosed room". It feels like I take one step off the slaughter playground and find myself standing on a freeway, I'd at least like a sign.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Well its not actually due to the controller itself, that's for sure. Its just bad programming. You can purchase a wired 360 controller and be relatively less annoyed though :v:

sorry i called you sanurai

It happens on a wired 360 controller as well.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It happens on a wired 360 controller as well.

I was implying that since that's what I own :v:. I meant less annoyed because it only doesn't register the upper right corner, and only in the pre-mission base.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure why I thought Hyrule Warriors's story mode would end so soon. I forgot the whole shtick of DW games.

There isn't some indicator in Legendary or Adventure mode of expected level, is there? Some of the Adventure levels have easy ones sitting right next to "fight two characters who take almost no damage at your level in an enclosed room". It feels like I take one step off the slaughter playground and find myself standing on a freeway, I'd at least like a sign.
I noticed "Lv. 1" or whatever number next to the objective when you're reading it on the zoomed in screen before you actually start it in Adventure mode. Those clearly don't correspond one-to-one with character levels but they might give you a notion. As for Legend mode it's designed to be played straight through from zero, so you can do Hard with just the levels you earn/buy first time through. Or just do it on a lower one if you like. Hero difficulty is made for end-game level characters though so don't bother until you've juiced up characters quite a lot.

The rewards for beating Legend stages on a higher difficulty are frankly kind of poo poo so don't stress, play them how you want. The bulk of poo poo to unlock comes from Adventure anyway, think of Legend as your introduction.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Have you already got 99 of whatever the lower level material you were probably getting lots of on that stage because you can't pick up any more than that.

Ah okay that's probably it then, I have a ton of Old Rags and Monster Teeth.

Bruceski posted:

Some of the Adventure levels have easy ones sitting right next to "fight two characters who take almost no damage at your level in an enclosed room". It feels like I take one step off the slaughter playground and find myself standing on a freeway, I'd at least like a sign.

Ha, that happened to me today when I tried to do one of the Ruto challenges on Adventure, I even said "She's only level 16, better pump her up some" and brought her up to 30, went into the level and it was "Fight these guys in closed rooms while Beamos constantly shoot at you and your attacks do almost no damage."

Has anyone found any good Skulltula guides? It's a bit weird that I'm having trouble finding information on the hidden stuff since the game has been out over a month in Japan, I would have thought there'd be at least a couple of people who would have found this stuff. Some of these Adventure Mode Skulltulas are really bugging me since I can't figure out for the life of me what to do to get them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Has anyone found any good Skulltula guides? It's a bit weird that I'm having trouble finding information on the hidden stuff since the game has been out over a month in Japan, I would have thought there'd be at least a couple of people who would have found this stuff. Some of these Adventure Mode Skulltulas are really bugging me since I can't figure out for the life of me what to do to get them.

Are there any that aren't listed under "Warrior Info --> Skulltulas"? It's an odd place to put the list of ones in the level, but so far I've seen em all tere.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh right, now that you mention it I do remember someone saying you can find them in that menu. :doh:

Even then it's not worth obsessing over, you would be fine to leave it for last despite the game's trying to rope you into collecting them all.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 29, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If we're still doing the Adventure Mode buddy thing, I'm babykraid on the WiiU.

Impa is totally female Xiahou Dun, right? They both have a big curved sword, they both wear blue, they both have an eye thing, they both serve as the right hand/war bro of their factions leader, they both loving rules. Impa and Xiahou Dun are the same person.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Impa doesn't have a fat relative who the game can't decide if they're her brother or her cousin.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Impa is probably closer to Zhou Tai, being an iaijutsu-practicing bodyguard.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

Impa doesn't have a fat relative who the game can't decide if they're her brother or her cousin.

Well they could always in the DLC pull in Impa's Oracle of Season/Age counterpart.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cousins but as close as brothers!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Maleketh posted:

Impa is probably closer to Zhou Tai, being an iaijutsu-practicing bodyguard.

Zhou Tai has no eye thing and wears red. No dice.

Rirse posted:

Well they could always in the DLC pull in Impa's Oracle of Season/Age counterpart.

I would buy that DLC even if it was just a skin for Darunia.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Zhou Tai has no eye thing and wears red. No dice.

Zhou Tai wears more black than red, and Xiahou Dun wears purple, not blue. So I guess she's a hybrid of both?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I was implying that since that's what I own :v:. I meant less annoyed because it only doesn't register the upper right corner, and only in the pre-mission base.

No I was implying that the musou button failing to activate and other problems Samurai Sanders was talking about happen on the 360 controller as well.

Also:

A Meat posted:

duck dynasty warriors

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Are there any that aren't listed under "Warrior Info --> Skulltulas"? It's an odd place to put the list of ones in the level, but so far I've seen em all tere.

Huh, I actually didn't know that existed. All I know is I've been running around one of the first squares in Adventure mode that has two Skulltulas listed, wondering how to get that second one. The first one is almost always get 1000 KOs, and I know for Legend Mode you have to use a particular character or weapon, but they show that right on the stage select screen. I'm guessing it's similar for the Adventure mode stages that have two Skulltulas.

On another note, unless I'm mistaken (and I don't seem to be) your special attacks can't be blocked by enemies, which is nice compared to the main Warriors games where you can fire off a Musou only for the guy to block it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, I actually didn't know that existed. All I know is I've been running around one of the first squares in Adventure mode that has two Skulltulas listed, wondering how to get that second one. The first one is almost always get 1000 KOs, and I know for Legend Mode you have to use a particular character or weapon, but they show that right on the stage select screen. I'm guessing it's similar for the Adventure mode stages that have two Skulltulas.

On another note, unless I'm mistaken (and I don't seem to be) your special attacks can't be blocked by enemies, which is nice compared to the main Warriors games where you can fire off a Musou only for the guy to block it.

Every stage has a "get 1000 KOs". Legendary seem to have "complete most of the level on Hard with this character/weapon" (so far they've all been required events from the level story). Adventure stages have "complete the first objective and get 1200 KOs without taking more than 4 hearts of damage" which can be trickier than it sounds. In one of them I was looking everywhere just to FIND 1200 guys to KO, and took a bit too much damage in the process.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DW8 Empires demo coming to PS3/PS4 next Wednesday in Japan. Download it if you want to try Edit Mode.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
DW8 is on sale on Steam. I bought the game from the sale, but any DLC worth getting?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Rirse posted:

DW8 is on sale on Steam. I bought the game from the sale, but any DLC worth getting?

I'd play the game first and see whether you like it. If so, check the DLC and see if there's anything that appeals to you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rirse posted:

None of the weapons are really that great (The Piercers are kind of cool), so unless you want all six of them just for new moves to play with it's pretty much down to if you want DLC costumes or not.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Maleketh posted:

I'd play the game first and see whether you like it. If so, check the DLC and see if there's anything that appeals to you.

Yeah I will just that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Even when on sale the DLC is way too expensive imo. Do download the Japanese voice DLC as parts that are not voiced for the english version do have voices in the japanese version. It's free so you can always choose which one you prefer

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Fuuuck, I really want to use the revolver crossbow, but I'm not paying 7 bucks to get it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I might pick up the DW5 costumes since that was my first Dynasty Warriors.

I miss playing DW5: Empires. :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The DW5 costumes are nice, they fit well and everything. Though the characters who have gone massive personality shifts since DW5, like Yuan Shao, feel a little weird.

Also buy Pang Tong's DW6 costume because it's the best.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Haven't played one of these games since the original samurai warriors, sometimes still I wake up with Hideoshi singing about building the castle in just one day stuck in my head.

but Dynasty Warriors 8 is 50% off on steam right now, so time for some nostalgia. I assume the PC port is fine.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

LibbyM posted:

Haven't played one of these games since the original samurai warriors, sometimes still I wake up with Hideoshi singing about building the castle in just one day stuck in my head.

but Dynasty Warriors 8 is 50% off on steam right now, so time for some nostalgia. I assume the PC port is fine.

Some people have reported some minor issues, but the overall consensus is that it's good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Only issue the PC port seems to have is weirdness with the controller layout being setup bad, also I guess it using PS3 texture instead of PS4, but it still looks really good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh yeah, for some godforsaken reason the default controller buttons are completely random. Re-map ASAP when you get a chance.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tae posted:

Oh yeah, for some godforsaken reason the default controller buttons are completely random. Re-map ASAP when you get a chance.

Yeah, I remapped it to the "Zelda style" I was using in Hyrule Warriors, even through I noticed they don't have a dodge roll or lock on in DW8. I mean "guard/strafe" is listed in the controller setup, but it only seems to guard for me, so I just put Jump on B instead. Shame they put Confirm on the Musou move instead of light attack, as it annoying to confirm with Y.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can move while guarding, which is why they call it guard/strafe. There isn't a dodge roll or anything, though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
DW8 doesn't have cloud saving, but I'd like to bring my save to a buddy's house so he can help me with a mission. Anyone know what the save file is so I can drop it into the folder on my steam at his place? Also, there shouldn't be any issue with mapping two 360 pads to be player 1 and 2, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Anonymous Robot posted:

DW8 doesn't have cloud saving, but I'd like to bring my save to a buddy's house so he can help me with a mission. Anyone know what the save file is so I can drop it into the folder on my steam at his place? Also, there shouldn't be any issue with mapping two 360 pads to be player 1 and 2, yeah?

Looks like the save is in Documents/TecmoKoei.