Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Barry Convex posted:

A gargantuan entertainment conglomerate whose divisions have their own goals and purposes, yes. See the curious Marvel/Big Hero 6 situation for an even more recent example.

For the uninformed, what's the story here?

EDIT: vvv Thanks. So do they just not want people mixing it up with the MCU or what?

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Hero 6 is a Marvel comic, but they're not involved in production or distribution of the movie.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

For the uninformed, what's the story here?

EDIT: vvv Thanks. So do they just not want people mixing it up with the MCU or what?

There is no reason for Disney to slap the Marvel brand on a kids animated movie that has no recognizable Marvel characters in it. Disney owns Marvel so it can choose to do what it pleases with Marvel properties. Marvel Studios' "goals", assuming it has any choice in the matter, are ultimately meaningless in the face of what Disney wants. Same goes for ABC. SHIELD is on ABC because Disney ultimately put it there, not because ABC had some kind of a say in the matter. Disney owns ABC and Marvel so it put a Marvel show on ABC because it has the potential to make money. SHIELD is part of the Marvel brand, so SHIELD doing poorly reflects poorly on the Marvel brand which hurts Disney. SHIELD may not be an advertisement for the MCU in the literal sense (what does that even mean? Does that mean every movie is an ad for the other movies?) but it is still a part of the brand and their branding strategy. That being said, that doesn't really mean it is safe. Marvel Studios had no problem sweeping The Incredible Hulk under the rug for the most part, so if AoS fails it would just get the same treatment. Also the fact that they are investing more money in Netflix projects than their ABC offerings is pretty telling. AoS isn't as much of an important piece of the MCU as some would like or hope.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Also the fact that they are investing more money in Netflix projects than their ABC offerings is pretty telling.

I didn't know this. You got a link to more details?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Weren't the ratings for the season 1 premiere completely insane? They probably were well aware season 2 wouldn't have those kinds of ratings.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Weren't the ratings for the season 1 premiere completely insane? They probably were well aware season 2 wouldn't have those kinds of ratings.

Yeah, being down on the original premiere isn't surprising.

The premiere went up from last season's finale, but then episode 2 was a new low for the series.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

I didn't know this. You got a link to more details?

http://screenrant.com/marvel-netflix-deal-tv-shows-daredevil-luke-cage-iron-fist-jessica-jones/

They greenlit Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and a team up show called The Defenders for Netflix. That is about 60 episodes worth of shows greenlit outright for Netflix at a time when AoS hadn't been officially confirmed for a second season yet. Them announcing 60 episodes of content across 4 shows and a mini-series for Netflix when things seemed up in the air for AoS is indicative of AoS not really being a priority, at least at the time. Keep in mind that it is not at all unusual to announce that a show is picked up for more than one season, so them throwing cash at four other Marvel shows for Netflix and then waiting pretty long just to give AoS the 1 season pick up is kind of damning.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

http://screenrant.com/marvel-netflix-deal-tv-shows-daredevil-luke-cage-iron-fist-jessica-jones/

They greenlit Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and a team up show called The Defenders for Netflix. That is about 60 episodes worth of shows greenlit outright for Netflix at a time when AoS hadn't been officially confirmed for a second season yet. Them announcing 60 episodes of content across 4 shows and a mini-series for Netflix when things seemed up in the air for AoS is indicative of AoS not really being a priority, at least at the time. Keep in mind that it is not at all unusual to announce that a show is picked up for more than one season, so them throwing cash at four other Marvel shows for Netflix and then waiting pretty long just to give AoS the 1 season pick up is kind of damning.

If you look at the date its when they only aired 7 episodes. They also were having tie ins with the movie. They saw it as a great deal and did not show they did not care about Shield at all.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

If you look at the date its when they only aired 7 episodes. They also were having tie ins with the movie. They saw it as a great deal and did not show they did not care about Shield at all.

Shows have been picked up for additional seasons by that point before. Greenlighting 4 new shows for digital distribution and waiting until the very end of the season to announce the pick up for AoS shouldn't really be ignored or downplayed. If Disney was going to be super aggressive with AoS as a part of their plans, it probably would have been picked up for a second season way earlier than it was.

Now obviously it was picked up, and even expanded a bit with Agent Carter serving to fill the hiatus gap, so who knows, maybe their ABC offerings might end up being of much more significance. But with a bunch of other shows right around the corner, losing their broadcast stuff would hardly put them in a bind, especially if people just aren't interested in watching. Honestly, I could see AoS just ending up going digital before getting outright cancelled, especially if Daredevil and friends ends up being a success.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Shows have been picked up for additional seasons by that point before. Greenlighting 4 new shows for digital distribution and waiting until the very end of the season to announce the pick up for AoS shouldn't really be ignored or downplayed. If Disney was going to be super aggressive with AoS as a part of their plans, it probably would have been picked up for a second season way earlier than it was.

Now obviously it was picked up, and even expanded a bit with Agent Carter serving to fill the hiatus gap, so who knows, maybe their ABC offerings might end up being of much more significance. But with a bunch of other shows right around the corner, losing their broadcast stuff would hardly put them in a bind, especially if people just aren't interested in watching. Honestly, I could see AoS just ending up going digital before getting outright cancelled, especially if Daredevil and friends ends up being a success.

ABC never announces pick-ups early. They always have their announcements at the end of the season. You'll notice that no ABC show was picked up early. It means absolutely nothing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They also announced it as a full season after 3 episodes, and included tie ins with the movies.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

Especially if Daredevil and friends ends up being a success.

Except Netflix doesn't announce viewership numbers, so we'll never know just how successful they are. Though they might share the info internally to Disney, but up to this point they've kept that close to the vest with everyone.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Except Netflix doesn't announce viewership numbers, so we'll never know just how successful they are. Though they might share the info internally to Disney, but up to this point they've kept that close to the vest with everyone.

The general public not knowing the metrics of success for a given show at Netflix has absolutely no effect on its actual success or how that effects their development strategy going forward...

AbsolutelySane posted:

ABC never announces pick-ups early. They always have their announcements at the end of the season. You'll notice that no ABC show was picked up early. It means absolutely nothing.

Well then I was wrong about that. I still think that it is safe to say that if AoS ratings are lower than average for the network and the Netflix shows end up being considered hits, we might see AoS switch over. This will mean a much shorter season, but at least the show would continue.

Of course none of that matters if the ratings improve on ABC or at least settle at a number that they are ok with.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Are the ratings lower than average for the network?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on it.

No, AoS is not vital to Marvel's overall vision. At the same time, it's doing well enough that we really don't have to live in dire worry about cancellation even IF it was a completely standalone show with no other tie ins. It's not a runaway hit, but it's doing OK. Other things on ABC would be on the chopping block before it (though budget is probably a bit higher than other things.)

The fact that it is part of the MCU tips the scales though. It is certainty going to be granted greater latitude for continued life because it is part of a greater whole. The MCU won't necessarily suffer if it was cancelled, but they can sure as poo poo expect that events in the MCU can have an affect on AoS viewership. They have something with a built in audience right now and as long as the ratings don't super tank it likely won't be cancelled anytime soon. There are also several stages that it could go through before being completely canned such as reduction in season order, timeslot shift, punted to ABC Family, or even a pickup by Netflix.

The Sharmat posted:

Are the ratings lower than average for the network?

Not really. It was actually the highest rated thing on ABC on Tuesday. It was adjusted up to a 1.8. What's really important is the two lead in shows at 8 and 8:30 were series premieres and both were rated lower at a 1.6 and 1.5. So AoS is doing better than its lead in so people are actively tuning into it and not just passively leaving ABC on.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 2, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Isn't it expensive to produce?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is this subject matter really suitable for ABC Family? I mean the show immolated a person on screen at one point last season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Sharmat posted:

Is this subject matter really suitable for ABC Family? I mean the show immolated a person on screen at one point last season.

It's fine. ABC Family hasn't shied away from genre TV before with Kyle XY nor have they really kept darker stuff from airing either.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't it expensive to produce?

When Marvel movies make money hand-over-fist, I think they can afford it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

When Marvel movies make money hand-over-fist, I think they can afford it.
So what, this show is a loss leader? I don't think killing the show will affect Marvel film revenues at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

The only reason that they have The 700 Club is due to the contract saying that they have to.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

The general public not knowing the metrics of success for a given show at Netflix has absolutely no effect on its actual success or how that effects their development strategy going forward...
No, I get that, but Netflix doesn't share their numbers with anyone. It's been a bone of contention between Netflix and programmers for a while now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

No, I get that, but Netflix doesn't share their numbers with anyone. It's been a bone of contention between Netflix and programmers for a while now.

The article doesn't seem to mention exactly who these programmers are. Are talking about the companies that make House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, etc? Or are they talking about the companies that put their shows on Netflix after they have aired? Those are two extremely different things. One group would be producing content exclusively for Netflix, while the other is negotiating re-distribution of content available on home video. It seems they mean the latter. Disney is contracted to provide original content, in addition to some exclusivity for the streaming rights to their films. If they are having people produce content for them and not telling them the value of that content, that is hilariously scumbaggy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

Big Hero 6 is a Marvel comic, but they're not involved in production or distribution of the movie.

No, what I was referring to is the far stranger fact that Marvel is producing literally nothing in the way of tie-in comics, which smacks of corporate political drama through and through.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

No, what I was referring to is the far stranger fact that Marvel is producing literally nothing in the way of tie-in comics, which smacks of corporate political drama through and through.

You mean like this?
http://marvel.com/news/comics/22976/sdcc_2014_shield.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

To Big Hero 6. They aren't even reprinting the older comics.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

To Big Hero 6. They aren't even reprinting the older comics.

Did Marvel produce anything for Frozen or Wreck it Ralph, especially before either film came out? It is not relevant that Marvel has old comics that this is adapted from. When Disney makes an animated film, it is expected to be a franchise unto itself for all intents and purposes. If Disney is taking the movie in a different direction from the original book, then it will do nothing but hurt the brand identity for them to advertise/reprint the old version of it. There is a reason why on the official materials for the movie that "From the creators of Frozen/Wreck it Ralph" is stressed much more heavily than "Based on a Marvel comic" and why Marvel Comics isn't plastered all over the posters/official website/etc.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Big Hero 6 are only in a dozen issues or so, and none of their origins or motivations beyond "Japan needs superheroes, too" are ever really explored. At this point, Disney's more invested in the property than Marvel ever was.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Sharmat posted:

Have you seen Alias?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cardboard Box A posted:

Have you seen Alias?

That was also on ABC, not ABC Family. Unless they're running Alias in syndication now, or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

thrawn527 posted:

That was also on ABC, not ABC Family. Unless they're running Alias in syndication now, or something.
Alias ran on ABC Family as well. They silenced out the curse words but still kept intact everything else like Jack torturing Haldacki by crushing his hand in a vise and subsequently murdering him by shooting him in the head.

Haldacki's brain matter being found in the barrel of Jack's gun was a later plot point.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

The Sharmat posted:

On top of what's been said, ABC family is home of Pretty Little Liars, which can be pretty adult.

I mean relatively speaking.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

cool kids inc. posted:

On top of what's been said, ABC family is home of Pretty Little Liars, which can be pretty adult.

I mean relatively speaking.
Lest we forget Secret Life of the American Teenager: my dad died because I had amazing sex!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The Sharmat posted:

ABC Family also aired "Greek" a show about drinking and sexin' it up in college.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And don't forget Middleman. One of the most surreal shows to appear on any network.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

SaintFu posted:

I just finished watching the episode. I’m really enjoying the season so far.

The only time they showed the obelisk standing up is at the end of this episode. When they did, it reminded me of something.

How did you catch that and not notice Coulson and Raina?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Darth Brooks posted:

How did you catch that and not notice Coulson and Raina?

HOLY gently caress IT'S A LED ZEPPELIN "PRESENCE" REFERENCE.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Did Marvel produce anything for Frozen or Wreck it Ralph, especially before either film came out? It is not relevant that Marvel has old comics that this is adapted from. When Disney makes an animated film, it is expected to be a franchise unto itself for all intents and purposes. If Disney is taking the movie in a different direction from the original book, then it will do nothing but hurt the brand identity for them to advertise/reprint the old version of it. There is a reason why on the official materials for the movie that "From the creators of Frozen/Wreck it Ralph" is stressed much more heavily than "Based on a Marvel comic" and why Marvel Comics isn't plastered all over the posters/official website/etc.

Eh, I find this unconvincing. It's originally a Marvel property and it's produced by the same corporate parent; they have no issue reprinting the original DOFP storyline to tie in with a film made by a competing entertainment conglomerate, and which has only slightly more to do with its ostensible source material than does BH6.

BH6 is an adaptation. A very, very loose adaptation, no doubt, but it's downright bizarre that Disney has chosen to actively suppress the origins of the property; even the most loosely adapted novels normally get tie-in reprints, after all. Rich Johnston may have a spotty record, but I'm inclined to believe the bulk of this: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/04/that-disneymarvel-bust-up-over-big-hero-6/

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I really like simmons and I really, really hope it's a fakeout. I'm going to be so sad if it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Cooplowski
Sep 11, 2013

ambushsabre posted:

I really like simmons and I really, really hope it's a fakeout. I'm going to be so sad if it isn't.

If it's anything other than a fakeout or "Simmons is posing as Hydra to see if they have something to cure Fitz" I will be stunned.

• Locked thread