Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I once went into the data center to reboot a server and found a janitor with a mop bucket mopping the raised floor. :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

In honor of stupid poo poo in data centers, I just walked past our data closet and one of the contractors in the office running cable had a bottle of water sitting on top of the rack. :catstare:

Edit: an open bottle of water

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
These stupid fuckers put a printer on wifi so it could sit next to this guy's desk instead of just making it a loving local printer and ~magically~ it lost its IP or its connection to the AP or something. I don't know. The guy's in another state and thought he could connect the printer to his laptop by using a network cable, so I didn't press it.

gently caress people who make printers difficult.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

To be fair it's usually a ten times greater headache to get a local printer working via USB than to just put it on the network and add it to your print server.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

[...] to work for a printer service company, it's like the proctology of IT.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 1, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Collateral Damage posted:

To be fair it's usually a ten times greater headache to get a local printer working via USB than to just put it on the network and add it to your print server.
According to this guy there are no network drops other than the one his phone is plugged into, and secondly loving how is local printing difficult

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
Stupid things in DC's - We've had a magical system of tarps and bungee cables in place to route rain water to a garbage can. Those were pulled down today so we can pass a fire inspection. These tarps replaced the tarps that have a hole in them for a water hose due to the increasing number of leaks our green initiatives.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

loving how is local printing difficult
Because print drivers suck.

On a print server you can just use the universal PCL6 drivers and all you need to do is punch in the host name of the printer. And if the user changes computer there's no messing about with reinstalling printer drivers, just re-add it.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

:woof:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

hihifellow posted:

I have deja vu...

Yeah we had a dog story before, it was adorable. I wouldn't be able to keep dog related jokes out of my work emails though.

"I don't know where the packet is dropping".
"FetchRoute!".
"That's not working".
"Nope, definitely FetchRoute, try asking the packet if he's a good boy!".

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

slartibartfast posted:

DHCP leash
VPN kennel
arf table

This made me laugh more than I think it should have :D

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Once a cleaning lady picked up a harddrive that was being rescued from. Since then they arent allowed to clean tables anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

There's a dog in our server room. That is all.

Owner came into my office today.

"I noticed the computer room doors were closed, and locked."

Yea, there was a dog in there yesterday.

"Mmhmmm. I don't like the message that sends, we're an open company. Locked doors aren't who we are."

I don't want people or animals in that room monkeying around with poo poo.

"Also we'd have to turn the air conditioning on if we keep the doors closed."

Fine. I'll open the loving door.

:argh:

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

spiny posted:

This made me laugh more than I think it should have :D

packet sniffer :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My latest attempt to take a day off crashed and burned before my shift would have even started. Back at work. I really don't need any more incentives to find a new job.

EDIT: Also seems to be the day for people to call while I'm on the phone dealing with this and not leave a voicemail. One idiot called four times in fifteen seconds and still didn't leave a message. Jeeeeesus.

EDIT: Finally got everything squared away and I find out that my last boss, the one that gave me so much flak about wanting to hire another I.T. person has just hired herself an assistant.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 1, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

"Mmhmmm. I don't like the message that sends, we're an open company. Locked doors aren't who we are."

Yeah, that's an open company, all right. Wide open.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, that's an open company, all right. Wide open.

:goatsecx:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Spazz posted:

In honor of stupid poo poo in data centers, I just walked past our data closet and one of the contractors in the office running cable had a bottle of water sitting on top of the rack. :catstare:

Edit: an open bottle of water

We had an engineer who decided it would be a good idea to hang his jacket up on the big red emergency power off button :psyduck:. He was fired pretty quickly after that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

hanyolo posted:

We had an engineer who decided it would be a good idea to hang his jacket up on the big red emergency power off button :psyduck:. He was fired pretty quickly after that.

Maybe he was trying to obscure it from his line of sight in order to avoid the temptation.

URRRRGH so tempting!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A datacenter I visited had an "out of order" sign hung over the emergency stop button. :v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I recently discovered the emergency stop in my datacenter has been bypassed and does nothing. :cripes:

This was a result of vendors hitting them thinking they were the light switches.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are they just out in the open? There should be a cover over it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cojawfee posted:

a cover was added after the first time, a second switch(requiring both be hit at the same time)was added the second time, then they just said gently caress it and bypassed them so they no longer shut down the datacenter.

I wasn't present for the times they were hit, but at this point we have to giant red buttons, with covers, that do jack poo poo. I understand that if something happens the kill will happen farther up the line. :shrug:

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Stupid poo poo in datacenters

We hide things under the tiles to scare contractors we know really well. Always hide them right next to the area they would be working and point some cameras at it. Great fun ensues.

poo poo pissing me off, HR put my personal cell phone out publicly for other employees to snag from an intranet site. Getting these asshat outsourced fucks to remove it feels like I'm getting falcon punched in the junk again and again. Do the needful and remove yourselves from the gene pool or I'll revert my boot to your cock holster

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Langolas posted:

poo poo pissing me off, HR put my personal cell phone out publicly for other employees to snag from an intranet site. Getting these asshat outsourced fucks to remove it feels like I'm getting falcon punched in the junk again and again. Do the needful and remove yourselves from the gene pool or I'll revert my boot to your cock holster

We recently went BYOD with cellphones here, and when I give out my number I do everything but make the person sign in blood that they won't tell a single person what that number is.

My coworker made the mistake of letting people know, and she gets dumb calls 24/7.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
poo poo pissing me off: People having a meeting in the hallway. What the hell. It's bad enough we already have several desks in the hallway to give people a place to work which looks atrocious but then to find a group of 7 of them having a meeting at those desks, completely blocking the way with their chairs is just ridiculous. Why not meet in our actual conference room which is empty (it's 'too far')? Or an empty room (I know that there were at least 2 available nearby)? How about the end of a hallway? Don't meet in and block a central hallway for an hour and then refuse to make room for through traffic. God drat.

Also, holy crap people, learn how to answer questions:
:pseudo: I need to set up office in the <X Area> and need a monitor and hookups. <Other staff member> has one on her desk that is not being used. Can you come over this morning ?
me: I won't be in until 10. What computer are you using for this? All our computers have their own monitors at this point.
:pseudo: I am meeting with <CEO> at 10 but can you set up without me?
me: Yeah, I just need to know what exactly I'm moving and where in the <X Area> it is going.
:pseudo: My laptop and a monitor. Need hookups unless you think I need a desktop
me: No, that's fine, I just needed to know what system this is for. Where in <X Area> is it going?
:pseudo: I need a mouse
me: That's fine, I have extras. Where in <X Area> is it going?
:pseudo: in their office
me: Where in the office? Which spot?
:pseudo: They have to made space for me

So she really just needed a monitor, keyboard and mouse set up in a second location because of reasons. Not only did they not make room in that office, they weren't even aware this was happening. Needless to say, it was not set up until the hallway meeting ended after an hour. I'm just so tired of playing 20 questions with staff over everything.

Edit: Personal number / work calls chat, my work has a voip number of mine that goes to my cellphone (voip at home or forwarded to my cell number when I'm away from home). So I can easily change the number if someone bad gets a hold of it without family and friends being forced to update my number. It's quite handy.

A c E fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 2, 2014

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
A technician for a company we do frequent business with gave one of their customers my personal cell phone. After the customer called me one night at 2:00am, my bitching started with the technician's boss's boss.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

evol262 posted:

This is actually true. If it's not exposed to the internet or not running CGI (or, not and -- it doesn't matter if it's running CGI inside your network unless you expect people to try to break a vendor appliance internally), it's not a big deal.

Late on this but I've been wondering about something. I assumed Nagios was vulnerable and exploitable since it uses CGI, so let's just assume it is. It's a reasonable assumption that a) a lot of admins are logged into their Nagios dashboard at any given time and b) a lot of Nagios installs have the internal hostname of Nagios. What happens if you send a phishing-type email to everyone at a bunch of companies containing a link to http://nagios/nagios3/evilurl (with the text nude babes here or whatever)?

This goes for any appliances that have either a common hostname or common ip. Sure, most IT folks would be less likely to click on a misleading link, but it seems like it's a possible attack vector.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I wish I could meet the idiots who thought this Lifecycle controller bullshit in Dell servers was a good idea. I really enjoy the 20 minutes of getting anything done when it would take 30 seconds with a floppy.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

stevewm posted:

DSL can actually deliver decent and rated speeds, however the ISP running the system has to be worth a poo poo. AT&T and Frontier do not meet this criteria.

Some of our branches and our corp. office are served by a local phone company turned ISP that uses multiple technologies. They rate their ADSL connections at 5/1 and they actually achieve this at all times. If you are not getting your rated speed, call, and they won't hesitate to fix it. They also just recently started switching to VDSL in all areas. Our corp office was able to go from 5/1 to 20/3 on VDSL.

DSL is all about the loop length and line condition. If you are close enough to the DSLAM and you're running over good wire and things are filtered properly to avoid interference you can get a really good fast reliable connection. if however you're far away from the dlam or you're running over crappy wiring then good luck even staying up much less getting good speeds regardless of carrier.

As far as tier 1 support sucking, management loves script monkey's because if they can reduce the job to a script they can reduce the pay to a pittance. It just kills the bean counters to pay technical people a decent rate. They're constantly trying to turn us into script monkeys too, fortunately if you are doing anything more complicated that power cycling equipment you rapidly move outside the realm of what can be done with scripting.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Erwin posted:

Late on this but I've been wondering about something. I assumed Nagios was vulnerable and exploitable since it uses CGI, so let's just assume it is. It's a reasonable assumption that a) a lot of admins are logged into their Nagios dashboard at any given time and b) a lot of Nagios installs have the internal hostname of Nagios. What happens if you send a phishing-type email to everyone at a bunch of companies containing a link to http://nagios/nagios3/evilurl (with the text nude babes here or whatever)?

This goes for any appliances that have either a common hostname or common ip. Sure, most IT folks would be less likely to click on a misleading link, but it seems like it's a possible attack vector.

It's been a long time since I've looked at the Nagios code and I don't remember if they have a shell wrapper, but basically Shellshock means you're vulnerable to drive-bys if:

• You write CGI gateways or wrapper scripts in bash (hardly anything)
  • You write CGI scripts in sh but sh is bash
  • You have ssh users with ForceCommand and their shell is bash
  • /bin/sh points to bash, you run CGI, and it calls out to system() (ever)
The last case is probably the majority of vulnerable cases. But if the appliances are BSD or Solaris or a version of Debian that has dash as sh or any other circumstance where "/bin/sh" (which is invoked when system() is called) is not bash, it's safe (relatively, from drive-by shellshock exploits)

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

evol262 posted:

That point is true of some non-CGI environments as well. For example, while mod_php isn't directly vulnerable, if a PHP script run under mod_php does anything that would create a shell (like, I dunno, use backticks), /bin/sh is invoked and all hell will break loose. PHP run as FastCGI is not vulnerable in this way.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

evol262 posted:

It's been a long time since I've looked at the Nagios code and I don't remember if they have a shell wrapper, but basically Shellshock means you're vulnerable to drive-bys if:

• You write CGI scripts in sh but sh is bash
  • You have ssh users with ForceCommand and their shell is bash
The last case is probably the majority of vulnerable cases. But if the appliances are BSD or Solaris or a version of Debian that has dash as sh or any other circumstance where "/bin/sh" (which is invoked when system() is called) is not bash, it's safe (relatively, from drive-by shellshock exploits)

My point was less about Nagios and more about a theoretical vulnerable and exploitable appliance with a common hostname.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Shouldn't E-stops be a mushroom and explicitly not covered or guarded?

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
We had one of our datacenters taken out by a painting contractor. Luckily when the power was restored we had video of the contractor removing the protective panel around the EPO so he could paint around it. I wonder if someone there has a photo of the EPO, that's gotta be a hell of a paint job...

poo poo that's pissing me off: scope creep. I took a helpdesk job at my company, a new position. This should have warned me off, but tier 1 sucked, and I needed the money. I now support ~230 employees in five states and seven locations. There has been no internal IT structure for at least ten years. I created new hire procedures, exiting employee procedures, and setup MDT 2013 in my first month. Life was good.

Fast forward five months and things are a nightmare. Everyone knows that I exist so I've gotten every request under the sun. I now do daily tickets, new and exiting hires, phone moves, adds, changes and support of the underlying system, call queue setup and support, printer support, and support the door access and visitor tracking. All while having 4 bosses who drop requests on me outside of our ticketing system (which by god is internally built and awesome).

By ticketing stats I am doing 10% of the load our tier 1 team does, which has 30 people. Those numbers obviously don't directly translate to workload but still, I'm the only one doing them.

Internally we're a mess, running OEM licensing on all our laptops and desktops. They didn't have asset tracking past an out of date excel spreadsheet (thanks PDQInvetory). The Disabled OU in AD hadn't been purged in over 6 years. Everything I touch has problems and it's getting to the point where I don't want to touch anything new because I'll just get shoved into doing that too.

I want to like the work, but there's so much going on I can't do things properly. I've developed an eye twitch and depression. Time to :yotj:. Hopefully door access controls, MDT2013 experience and CUCM/UCCX support open some new doors.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

evol262 posted:

Amusingly enough this is what hit Netgear with their ReadyNAS devices - everything there is written against /bin/sh but for their webpage that lists the shares on your machine, and this is true of every single (non enterprise) model they've ever sold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

luminalflux posted:

Shouldn't E-stops be a mushroom and explicitly not covered or guarded?

No? It takes less than a second to lift up the cover and press the button.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Customer is having a weird network issue. One of their machines goes unreachable for random intervals at a specific site, but nowhere else.

The customer, and support have decided that "reubilding the network interface" on the server is the appropriate action here.

I just do not understand sometimes.

:negative:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Belial42 posted:

By ticketing stats I am doing 10% of the load our tier 1 team does, which has 30 people. Those numbers obviously don't directly translate to workload but still, I'm the only one doing them.

Log a ticket for literally everything you do. Someone asks you a question in the hallway ? Ticket. Move a computer ? Ticket. Set up an email account for a new hire ? Ticket. They need a phone too ? Ticket. Boss drops a project on you ? As many tickets as you can break it down into. Write up a little bit about your new system so you have a backdated document when they owner why your metrics magically changed, then put that down as an accomplishment if you stick around long enough for a review. Hint: Explain that the (hilariously over-) detailed tickets make reporting much more accurate.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

mllaneza posted:

Log a ticket for literally everything you do. Someone asks you a question in the hallway ? Ticket. Move a computer ? Ticket. Set up an email account for a new hire ? Ticket. They need a phone too ? Ticket. Boss drops a project on you ? As many tickets as you can break it down into. Write up a little bit about your new system so you have a backdated document when they owner why your metrics magically changed, then put that down as an accomplishment if you stick around long enough for a review. Hint: Explain that the (hilariously over-) detailed tickets make reporting much more accurate.

Oh, I do. I've been reading this thread for years and got into the habit at my last job. We have a great ticketing system, with great metrics that get reported each week. I'm saying the tier 1, customer facing side resolves 300-400 tickets a week, with 30 people. I resolve 30-40 helpdesk tickets a week, with 1 person. It's not a direct 1 to 1 because the work is different obviously, but I don't have tiers 2 and 3 to escalate to in most cases. If it's phones, doors or new hires the ticket starts and ends with me or a vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Belial42 posted:

Oh, I do. I've been reading this thread for years and got into the habit at my last job. We have a great ticketing system, with great metrics that get reported each week. I'm saying the tier 1, customer facing side resolves 300-400 tickets a week, with 30 people. I resolve 30-40 helpdesk tickets a week, with 1 person. It's not a direct 1 to 1 because the work is different obviously, but I don't have tiers 2 and 3 to escalate to in most cases. If it's phones, doors or new hires the ticket starts and ends with me or a vendor.

Escalate tickets to yourself and count them again :v: