Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

emfive posted:

Oh well I wasn't referring to autism, just negative health and cognition effects. I've never seen a claim that environmental lead is an autism factor (though I guess it might be).

Eh, we know what lead does to people already so it's not surprising that filling the air with low amounts of lead in gasses will cause low-level damage to people's brains, especially the brains of developing children. There's probably no ethically sound way to actually test it to get a better confirmation as that would likely involve exposing children to large amounts of leaded exhaust, but the correlation between when a region stopped using leaded gas and the noticable drop in crime 18-20 years later as kids who'd never been exposed to the fumes entered adult life is pretty strong.

It's one of the really interesting and well documented effects too because the decision wasn't made all at once, different counties and states across the nation did it at different times, pretty much at random. So scientists and doctors have an impressive amount of data about how no matter when or where leaded gasoline you'd see a statistically significant drop in crime over the next 20 years. It doesn't matter when it happened, the 60's, the 70's, or 80's, there's less crime in an area 20 or so years after leaded gas stops being sold independent of pretty much every other factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

katlington posted:

Who was that?

That'd be Dr. Richard A Muller of Berkeley

https://www.skepticalscience.com/best-results-consistent-with-human-caused-global-warming.html

EDIT: Just got home and popped up Unsealed: Alien Files. Netflix autorated it for me at a 1 1/4 stars, seems like a good start.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 30, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alkydere posted:

Eh, we know what lead does to people already so it's not surprising that filling the air with low amounts of lead in gasses will cause low-level damage to people's brains, especially the brains of developing children. There's probably no ethically sound way to actually test it to get a better confirmation as that would likely involve exposing children to large amounts of leaded exhaust, but the correlation between when a region stopped using leaded gas and the noticable drop in crime 18-20 years later as kids who'd never been exposed to the fumes entered adult life is pretty strong.

It's one of the really interesting and well documented effects too because the decision wasn't made all at once, different counties and states across the nation did it at different times, pretty much at random. So scientists and doctors have an impressive amount of data about how no matter when or where leaded gasoline you'd see a statistically significant drop in crime over the next 20 years. It doesn't matter when it happened, the 60's, the 70's, or 80's, there's less crime in an area 20 or so years after leaded gas stops being sold independent of pretty much every other factor.

That makes way more sense than Roe v. Wade being the factor in lower crime rates. God I hate Freakanomics.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Star Man posted:

That makes way more sense than Roe v. Wade being the factor in lower crime rates. God I hate Freakanomics.

Surprise surprise, economists are loving retarded

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So whoever recommend Unsealed: Alien Files, thank you. Watching this is so goddamn funny. This first episode is just too much. I just can't decide if I want to give this 5 stars or not because holy hell is this entertaining.

QuarkJets posted:

I can't believe I fell in for Freakanomics back in high school/first years of college.

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 1, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KomradeX posted:

So whoever recommend Unsealed: Alien Files, thank you. Watching this is so goddamn funny. This first episode is just too much. I just can't decide if I want to give this 5 stars or not because holy hell is this entertaining.

I know nothing about Netflix but can you try to get it rated as a comedy instead of a documentary? If it's "Ancient Aliens on steroids" like everyone says I imagine it's loving absurd in the goofiest ways.

Also, it seems I dodged a bullet by never reading Freakanomics.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I know nothing about Netflix but can you try to get it rated as a comedy instead of a documentary? If it's "Ancient Aliens on steroids" like everyone says I imagine it's loving absurd in the goofiest ways.

Nope, it's preset by Netflix
Plus there are tons of crazy "documentaries" on there. I can't remember for sure but I swear there are 9/11 Truther films, including an "it was a missile" one.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Unsealed is pretty amazing.

Don't dig in the ice, Russia. Your secret Illuminati overlords are going to kill us all because of the Mayan Calendar!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alkydere posted:

According to Malcolm Gladwell, you actually made rational choices which led to you never being shot at in the first place.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Halloween Jack posted:

According to Malcolm Gladwell, you actually made rational choices which led to you never being shot at in the first place.

My girlfriend has a copy and I've been eying it since I noticed. I've been considering reading it for laughs and to see just how stupid it gets.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

EXAKT Science posted:

My girlfriend has a copy and I've been eying it since I noticed. I've been considering reading it for laughs and to see just how stupid it gets.

It's not as bad as the sequel, that one really goes off the rails.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

duz posted:

It's not as bad as the sequel, that one really goes off the rails.

Is it crazy enough that it'd be a fun read, or would I just be wasting my time?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

QuarkJets posted:

I thought it was written by sociologists that didn't know gently caress about economics?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Star Man posted:

I thought it was written by sociologists that didn't know gently caress about economics?

Never bothered to read it, but a check on Wikipedia shows that Levitt (the economist) works at University of Chicago, which is Milton Friedman's free-marketeer central. He's also apparently now somewhat infamous for making big claims, that he comes to through errors in methodology, which he has to retract after getting called on it and was involved in a lawsuit for flat-out lying in Freakonomics about someone else's work.

E: I knew the rabbit hole goes deeper, but took me a minute to remember how: The book's publisher, HarperCollins, is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

site fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 1, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

EXAKT Science posted:

I can't say for Superfreakonomics, but in the case of the first book it's really just a collection of "Just So" stories that sound interesting and plausible if you read them without an air of skepticism. If you were to read the first book with a healthy dose of skepticism I imagine you'd be more likely just to come away from each chapter thinking "I don't think this is enough evidence to prove causation in this correlation". The first book, at least, isn't terribly bad, it's just not terribly correct (or if you like, terribly incorrect).

I'd be really surprised if the second book wasn't more of the same, just with some more outlandish correlations and new Just So stories to explain them. I might be totally wrong about that though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

I knew the rabbit hole goes deeper, but took me a minute to remember how: The book's publisher, HarperCollins, is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

That doesn't mean anything here. HarperCollins and its various imprints have minimal editorial control or philosophy inherited from Murdoch's krew.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
No serious historian argues that Hitler died in a bunker in 1945. All we do know, is that Hitler arrived in Argentina via submarine in 1947. One question remains: was this the original Hitler or the first of his clones? We'll open the Conspiracy File to find out!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Reveilled posted:

I'd be really surprised if the second book wasn't more of the same, just with some more outlandish correlations and new Just So stories to explain them. I might be totally wrong about that though.

One of the chapters was about how we should build a giant pipe and put methane (I think) in the upper atmosphere to block the sun to prevent global warming.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Genius.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

duz posted:

One of the chapters was about how we should build a giant pipe and put methane (I think) in the upper atmosphere to block the sun to prevent global warming.

Oh. Well then.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why not just make the pipe a little longer and vent greenhouse gases into the vacuum of space? That sounds like a plan straight out of the No-Spin Zone.

Bill O'Reilly's plan to fight climate change:

-Long pipe
-Goes to space
-Made in USA

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

No serious historian argues that Hitler died in a bunker in 1945. All we do know, is that Hitler arrived in Argentina via submarine in 1947. One question remains: was this the original Hitler or the first of his clones? We'll open the Conspiracy File to find out!

Don't forget his illegitimate son who sits in deep cover as a sailor in the American navy waiting for the rest of his family to rise up and take over the government.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Why not just make the pipe a little longer and vent greenhouse gases into the vacuum of space? That sounds like a plan straight out of the No-Spin Zone.

-Long pipe
-Goes to space
-Made in USA

Because global warming is due to the sun heating up so the only real way to stop it is to block the sun. I think that was their argument, it's been awhile. They also had a chapter dedicated to giving a big, sloppy blowjob to Intellectual Ventures that was pretty terrible as all IV things are.

Related, the LaRouchite* in my Facebook feed was going on about how in his Science 101 class he learned CO2 is actually a refrigerant and so for his final paper he's using that to prove that climate change isn't real.

* You should always know at least one, they're so entertaining

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jack Gladney posted:

Don't forget his illegitimate son who sits in deep cover as a sailor in the American navy waiting for the rest of his family to rise up and take over the government.

But John McCain's no longer in the military? :confused:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

EXAKT Science posted:

Well, it isn't really crazy. It's just a bunch of bad sociology dressed up with economics, basically. The chapter about the economics of drug dealing and the exploitation experienced by low-level dealers is actually decent because Levitt legitimately hung out with a gang leader and got to look his books over and stuff for the sake of his research - at least, provided it's true, which I've never read anything one way or the other about. The rest is just bad because Levitt seems to have no concept of how much evidence is required to conclusively verify a hypothesis and so all of the research is pretty light-weight stuff.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

-Long pipe
-Goes to space
-Made in USA

It's not just methane they wanted to vent, and all of the stuff they were going after would in fact help reduce heat reaching the ground, albeit the project still would be ludicrously expensive. Much in the same way to putting a big rear end fleet of mirrors orbiting within the upper atmosphere would reflect heat away while also costing trillions of dollars to build and keep up.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

duz posted:

Because global warming is due to the sun heating up so the only real way to stop it is to block the sun.

What a load of rubbish, everyone knows that the sun is actually cold.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

MOLLUSC posted:

I can't finish it, my head hurts. I don't know why. :bang:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MOLLUSC posted:

Wow, that just keeps going.

quote:

Our scientific instruments are of 3rd dimensional matter and can be destroyed by sun plasma if too close to the sun. Starships of the Galactic Federation on the contrary can land on the sun, and be stationary inside the solar corona, or take plasmid energy from the sun as using a suction hose, because their physical composition is of higher frequency which by its properties is less affected by the plasma of the sun. There are photographs and videos of NASA that show these ships near the sun, some are published in this website. Some of these ships are motherships as big as Jupiter or bigger with circular shape or cigar-type shape, and have millions of star people living in them.

All planets and all stars, such as is our sun, are hollow. They have life on the surface and inside, except planets in a state of formation which cannot support any type of life. Planets have soul and these planetary beings have a mission and purpose. Earth is hollow too and inside lives a civilization called Agharta. We have been fooled by the Illuminati with an academic model of solid Earth that is wrong and they know it and did it on purpose.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

Wow, that just keeps going.

The real fun starts when you get to the Astrophysics page:

quote:

"... May I say something here? Your space program is stupid and part of the "UFO" cover-up! You have had "flying saucers" since WW II. With our help, you have earth folks on Mars inside that planet at this time. You know the situation of Mars, and have no need to put those little Rovers on it.

"What is amazing is that some of your scientists, that are doing this work, are kept from awareness of us, or told that they will die, if they mention this. You have personnel on the moon.

"You had 2 moons once. They were brought down by the BBB & G’s [Big Bad Boys and Girls] long ago, and used to take out Atlantis and Lemuria. Atlantis was an accident. They intended the moon to destroy China. They miscalculated. Your moon is artificial, constructed in Orion, and towed to earth.

"It will be used elsewhere after your natural moons are restored. Your scientists are currently reporting a new moon that circles earth about every 80 days, and another quite a bit father out. These are our creations, not artificial, but from the Asteroid Belt."

—Sananda (Jesus), telepathic message of February 8, 2005, transmitted to Candace Frieze

:stonklol:

Also I just watched the Vatican episode of Unsealed: Alien Files, where they promise to go into depth about the papcy's most recent and damaging controversy. No not the priestly abuse scandal, you dope! Of course, we're referring to the Vatican's coverup of alien life, including alien skeletons buried under St. Peter's Basilica.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
This is what happens when we cut funding for psychiatric care.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Jazerus posted:

Well, it isn't really crazy. It's just a bunch of bad sociology dressed up with economics, basically. The chapter about the economics of drug dealing and the exploitation experienced by low-level dealers is actually decent because Levitt legitimately hung out with a gang leader and got to look his books over and stuff for the sake of his research - at least, provided it's true, which I've never read anything one way or the other about. The rest is just bad because Levitt seems to have no concept of how much evidence is required to conclusively verify a hypothesis and so all of the research is pretty light-weight stuff.
The person who hung out with a gang leader wasn't Levitt but one of his grad students, but yeah.

duz posted:

Because global warming is due to the sun heating up so the only real way to stop it is to block the sun. I think that was their argument, it's been awhile. They also had a chapter dedicated to giving a big, sloppy blowjob to Intellectual Ventures that was pretty terrible as all IV things are.
That was actually the same chapter, if I remember correctly, and the sulfur dioxide pipe was Nathan Myhrvold's idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is what happens when we cut funding for psychiatric care.

I know it's wrong to say, but I believe this 100%.

If we had proper mental health framework, cts would nearly vanish, and conservatism would probably be weaker as well.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

This just in: History is showing in the 7 to 9 AM block "The 9/11 Conspiracies: Fact or Fiction" - classy!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
And then follow it up with conspiracy poo poo.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

And then follow it up with conspiracy poo poo.

Now they're up to 'After Armageddon' - good to see them discussing "Left Behind" as fact! :downs:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I know it's wrong to say, but I believe this 100%.

If we had proper mental health framework, cts would nearly vanish, and conservatism would probably be weaker as well.

Thanks Ronald Reagan!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

This just in: History is showing in the 7 to 9 AM block "The 9/11 Conspiracies: Fact or Fiction" - classy!

I'm glad (not really) to see them go from showing documentaries designed to to debunk that bullshit to taking more Truth is in the Middle.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Too bad the whole show was "See this hilariously insane stuff truthers say and see how it isn't". It was good to see History spew some truth for a change, but then they went right off into Nostradamus and armegedon right after.
I know history itself isn't a big selling point and the H channel has to make money somehow, but this ice road truckers frontier axe men pawn stars ancient aliens bullshit is just totally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

History is about as dedicated to (non-fictional) history as TLC is to learning. More people tune in for crazy gently caress conspiracy #2937838 than actual historical documentaries and so they're going to go with what sells.

• Locked thread