Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I like how there's a Heart Crystal near the spawn that can't be mined because of the spawn protect :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Is there any way to get a blindfold in the Nadlands? It's the last thing I need to get an Ankh Shield.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Is there any way to get a blindfold in the Nadlands? It's the last thing I need to get an Ankh Shield.
There's a big crimson desert to the west just after the dungeon iirc.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Are we gonna kick off a new map with new characters any time soon? Or are we waiting for 1.3?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Ankh Shields are going to be banned on the server. Actually, maybe they should be mandatory, I forgot how much I hated knockback. I'll throw some blindfolds in the base chest tonight.

I was debating about starting a new map without a vote by the people that built it up from the start... The 1.3 patch will definitely mean starting a new map. Unless no one is opposed to starting one this weekend, and then again when 1.3 comes out. I wish TEdit could copy/paste just the buildings.

I'll make a thread in PGS soon, so we don't clutter this one up.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
You can probably open a map editor and copy/paste somehow, but I really don't care if you throw the stuff I built out. The fun is in building it, not so much in it existing afterwards. That's just me though. I have a backed-up copy of The Nadlands prior to PeePot hosting it if anyone wants it for ~memories~

If you're gonna post in PGS I hope you make the map large-sized, as there may be a much bigger wave of goons joining in than what we had on Nadlands. Up to you though--surprise us all!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Bagpuss posted:

There's a big crimson desert to the west just after the dungeon iirc.

I thought only monsters that spawned in the corruption could drop the blindfold?

PeePot posted:

Ankh Shields are going to be banned on the server. Actually, maybe they should be mandatory, I forgot how much I hated knockback. I'll throw some blindfolds in the base chest tonight.

Thanks!

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I thought only monsters that spawned in the corruption could drop the blindfold?

Dark Mummies show up in crimson deserts and drop blindfolds.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PeePot posted:

I wish TEdit could copy/paste just the buildings.
Copypaste the area you want into the sky, erase the elements you don't need, turn copy that or turn it into a schematic.

I have a bunch of building schematics from doing this but they are all pre-slope and look really ugly in modern Terraria

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

:siren:

Nadlands is shutting down tonight. Replacing it with a brand new large world. Hopefully around 6:30pm EST. I'll email the old one to anyone that wants it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669550

I'm working on some additions to the map right now. It was only giving me a pyramid or a living tree. We must have both!

PeePot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 5, 2014

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Are new characters generated with new worlds with the server-side characters mod? I got into Terraria kind of late and didn't really feel like trying to build up a new character in a world that was already hardmode.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

PeePot posted:

I'm working on some additions to the map right now. It was only giving me a pyramid or a living tree. We must have both!

This was kind of why I was hoping that they would make a Super Gigantic world with a bit of everything in it. I really like the idea of having a huge place that is essentially self-contained; I've never really liked sending my little dude to other worlds because mine didn't have <insert biome here>

I just rebought this game on GOG for $2.49. Still small recompense, but I only paid $2.49 for the original Steam release and given how much fun I've gotten from it, Red deserves a bit more. Still gently caress all, really, but he's a millionaire now and I'm cheaparse who's trying to assuage his own guilt.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

:siren: The new server is up! New large map! New characters! :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669550

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I dusted this off since I have not played in forever, tin and smart cursors and such were not a thing last I made any headway (not that I've ever seen hell).

As is my longstanding tradition, the corruption is fifty feet away from my spawn. The snow and ice immediately to the right of my spawn looked pretty though :v: Maybe it was angry I named the small world "Fisher Price World"?

Right, let's try this again. Is the most practical way to not ream out your world with out of control corruption and hollow after beating the wall of flesh still "Just do hardmode on another world, you big baby"?

EDIT: Round two, Snow 50 feet to the Left, and crimson 200 feet to the right. Progress? At least I got a boomerang. Though the guide seems as content to jump into a deep hole full of water as ever.

EDIR Three: There is more crimson past the snow to the left :stare: Why does my RNG adore throwing as much near spawn corruption or it's equivalent at me every single time I play this game at me?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 5, 2014

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

You're generating a Small world and the default spawn is smack dab in the middle of the surface, There's only so much room for it to squeeze the Corruption/Crimson in, when it's not allowed to start by default within x number of blocks from the beaches or the jungle

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Section Z posted:

Right, let's try this again. Is the most practical way to not ream out your world with out of control corruption and hollow after beating the wall of flesh still "Just do hardmode on another world, you big baby"?

Was the Clentaminator in last time you played? It's your one-stop tool for biome-management and small-scale world de-reaming.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Crimson is way, way easier to traverse than the Corruption anyway, so even if it's nearby you can get past it pretty easily, even before you can stand toe to toe with the enemies in it very well. That shouldn't take too long either, just dig down, grab some ore, and make some starting weapons and armor.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dijon du jour posted:

Was the Clentaminator in last time you played? It's your one-stop tool for biome-management and small-scale world de-reaming.

I don't even know that that is :downs: but no, it wasn't. Still, sounds like there are a lot of cool improvements to look forward to and not just things like bullethell bosses you can't beat within the time limit despite several people with endgame gear firing away and "They nerfed another thing I've never heard of! :ohdear:"

Vib Rib posted:

The Crimson is way, way easier to traverse than the Corruption anyway, so even if it's nearby you can get past it pretty easily, even before you can stand toe to toe with the enemies in it very well. That shouldn't take too long either, just dig down, grab some ore, and make some starting weapons and armor.

Good to hear, even if I got my stupid rear end kicked. I was picking small for attention span to world size purposes but I guess it's back to mediums. Crimson/Corruption on one side of the spawn is one thing, but having it on BOTH sides of the spawn feels like a bit much for getting back into this game.

EDIT: vvv Makes sense. I just need to spawn a world where the 'safe middle' is more than 30 seconds walking in either direction.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 6, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's nothing wrong with small size worlds, especially if you're playing with 1-4 people. You just need to find a safe middle and focus on going down first instead of sideways.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

There's nothing wrong with small size worlds, especially if you're playing with 1-4 people. You just need to find a safe middle and focus on going down first instead of sideways.

I kind of want the goon server to be a Small just to see how long it would take us to stripmine literally all the minerals from the entire world, eventually culminating in a razor-thin shell of a surface with naught but two or three blocks between you and free-falling into hell :getin:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Since even a small world has enough resources to easily produced dozens of armor sets of each tier, even assuming you don't skip them, I don't know why you'd need to. Unless you're just going to turn the entire surface into a metal city. Which is not a bad idea or anything.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I wish there were world gen options available. I'd love to be able to pick my ores, crimson or corruption, number of floating islands, etc. I like starting on a snow biome, but it takes a whole lot of rerolling worlds to get one with snow pretty centrally located. I know I tried a castaway world once where I relocated the spawn point and the guide to the coast, but there just wasn't enough ocean biome/palm trees to build a cool palm fishing hut and dock. A worldwrap mod would also be great, but probably not possible.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Is there any estimate as to the timing of the next big patch? I want to play this again, but if it is going to be out in a month or so, I'd rather just wait. On the other hand, if we're talking six months, I might just play now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

graynull posted:

I wish there were world gen options available. I'd love to be able to pick my ores, crimson or corruption, number of floating islands, etc. I like starting on a snow biome, but it takes a whole lot of rerolling worlds to get one with snow pretty centrally located. I know I tried a castaway world once where I relocated the spawn point and the guide to the coast, but there just wasn't enough ocean biome/palm trees to build a cool palm fishing hut and dock. A worldwrap mod would also be great, but probably not possible.

There are tools out there to generate maps to most of those specs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Since even a small world has enough resources to easily produced dozens of armor sets of each tier, even assuming you don't skip them, I don't know why you'd need to. Unless you're just going to turn the entire surface into a metal city. Which is not a bad idea or anything.

I like making structures out of metal bricks.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

graynull posted:

I would absolutely love this world gen options and world wrapping.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

graynull posted:

TEdit is pretty easy to use, and very powerful if you want to create your own maps.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

There are tools out there to generate maps to most of those specs.
Really? Like what? I remember people talking about it but I don't think I ever saw any that were finished.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I recall either omnitool or terrafirma doing a lot of that.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've killed the Wall of Flesh ten times now. I have 4 Warrior Emblems and 3 Ranger emblems. Not a single time have I gotten the stupid wizard one so I can make a stupid avenger powerfist or whatever it is called.

I've gotten almost everything needed for the freakin Ankh Shield before I've gotten that emblem. This game sometimes, I swear.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

I've killed the Wall of Flesh ten times now. I have 4 Warrior Emblems and 3 Ranger emblems. Not a single time have I gotten the stupid wizard one so I can make a stupid avenger powerfist or whatever it is called.

I've gotten almost everything needed for the freakin Ankh Shield before I've gotten that emblem. This game sometimes, I swear.

This happens to me pretty much every time, the only upside is that he drops an absolute ton of gold. I usually try to kill him a few times right at the start of Hardmode to collect stuff, specifically the clockwork rifle. Last time I lucked out, I never got the clockwork rifle but I had amassed enough gold to buy the Gatligator from the Travelling Merchant when he showed up :getin:.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Playing solo last year, I managed to make an Ankh Shield without too much difficulty. I must have gotten lucky.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
How do the holiday events like the Halloween one work? Do they only last for a few hours on the day itself? I am just about to jump into hard mode for the first time and want to get geared up to get some halloween items. What are some must have items to successfully do the event?

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

lunatikfringe posted:

How do the holiday events like the Halloween one work? Do they only last for a few hours on the day itself? I am just about to jump into hard mode for the first time and want to get geared up to get some halloween items. What are some must have items to successfully do the event?

The event can only be started at night, and should be started at the beginning of a night. It lasts through several waves of tough enemies, culminating in waves which include the pumpking. The event ends when dawn breaks. It does NOT end when you die, so put a bed (far) away from your NPCs or else pumpkings will wreck everyone as they rush to kill your freshly resurrected self.
To make the item to even start the event, you need Hallowed bars, dropped by the mechanical hardmode bosses, Ectoplasm which is dropped by ghosts in the hardmode dungeon (which won't become hardmode until you've defeated Plantera), and Pumpkins.

In short, it's kind of an end game event. You can get some pretty sweet loot from it though. I can regularly kill two pumpkings in a night without too much effort with the following setup: Character equipped with full spectre armor with healing hood, using hardmode dungeon spell drops plus a Nimbus rod. The Nimbus rod doesn't do super great damage, but you can put two of them side by side above you, and be constantly hitting pumpkings and mourningwoods and gaining healing from the damage they do. Magnet sphere and that flaming fork thing both work well in this fight as well.
My arena has lizhard temple traps below some high platforms, to kill off common enemies quickly. Lava helps here too, especially if you've got a pair of lava waders. Just put a thin layer of it on the ground with some border blocks to keep it in place, and you can run over it to collect the loot without having to put up active stone blocks / actuators.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pretty sure he's talking about the actual Halloween event, like when common enemies wear costumes and drop goodie bags.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about the actual Halloween event, like when common enemies wear costumes and drop goodie bags.

"Successfully do the event" sounds like an attempt to beat the Pumpkin Moon.

There's no time limitation to either boss moon event. It's easier to get pumpkins for the trigger around halloween though since they'll grow without you planting them.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Pumpkin Moon isn't tied to it, but the Halloween event and all the special stuff that comes with it lasts from October 25 - November 10.

The rundown of Halloween changes is here.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry for the confusion, I did mean the Pumpkin Moon event. I did not know about the goodie bags though so thanks for that!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tenebrais posted:

"Successfully do the event" sounds like an attempt to beat the Pumpkin Moon.
My mistake. I just assumed that's what he meant by event.
And yeah, the goodie bags are actually a lot of fun and you can get some really cool unique items out of them, from decoratives like Halloween paintings to vanity costumes and a black cat pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vib Rib posted:

My mistake. I just assumed that's what he meant by event.
And yeah, the goodie bags are actually a lot of fun and you can get some really cool unique items out of them, from decoratives like Halloween paintings to vanity costumes and a black cat pet.

Can one manipulate the in-game calendar by changing the date in the OS? I really don't like seasonal events because I am of a completionist nature and I find it cruel to only be able to enjoy certain things a few days out of the year.

• Locked thread