Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

outlier posted:

There's an article I read recently about Gage, which of course I can't find now. The premise was that while Gage was grievously injured, the conventional narrative of his personality being utterly changed by the accident was overblown. He held down several jobs afterwards and travelled to South America. The "change" may have been little more than natural reactions of a man who had been horribly maimed and still had severe physical effects from the accident.

The article was in Slate:

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...be_patient.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

That article is pro-loving-click. Man who history thinks the accident changed him completely goes on to be a stagecoach driver in the mountains of Chile for seven years before returning to American to work on a farm in San Fransisco.

Carried around the tamping iron that nearly killed him like it was a walking stick. The man who gave nary a gently caress. :unsmith:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

"The first doctor to arrive could see, even from his carriage, a volcano of upturned bone jutting out of Gage’s scalp. Gage greeted the doctor by angling his head and deadpanning, “Here’s business enough for you.”

:stare:

Holy poo poo!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It should also be stressed that stagecoach driving is an extremely dexterous undertaking, and he was driving horses on mountain passes, switchbacks, and keeping an eye out for motherfucking highway robbers. Seven years of this.

Hopefully while guiding the reins in one hand and welding the tamping rod like a harpoon, daring all on-comers to just try and start some poo poo.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Literally Kermit posted:

It should also be stressed that stagecoach driving is an extremely dexterous undertaking, and he was driving horses on mountain passes, switchbacks, and keeping an eye out for motherfucking highway robbers. Seven years of this.

Hopefully while guiding the reins in one hand and welding the tamping rod like a harpoon, daring all on-comers to just try and start some poo poo.
Holy mother gently caress. This guy was loving bad rear end as all poo poo. He had some mother loving balls the size of loving boulders. loving gently caress me.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Holy mother gently caress. This guy was loving bad rear end as all poo poo. He had some mother loving balls the size of loving boulders. loving gently caress me.

I don't know if you're making fun of me or not, but yes, this is an absolutely true statement about Phineas Gage. :black101:

Phineas was also a handsome gent:

Not bad for a dude that had this happen to his head. (:nms: for many folks)

Imagine him saying “Here’s business enough for you.” now. :stonk:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If you are ever in Boston, you can go see Gage's skull and tamping iron for free at the Warren Anatomical Museum inside of Harvard Med School's library. There's a number of other interesting creepy things there as well, like Civil War bones with bullets lodged in them.

I went and saw it this past summer, and I was surprised at how nice Gage's teeth were.

Edit: that not very :nms: link up there reminds me of Francis Bacon's portrait of Pope Innocent X, which is worth seeing if you happen to find yourself in Des Moines (also free).

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Oct 3, 2014

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

I don't know if you're making fun of me or not, but yes, this is an absolutely true statement about Phineas Gage. :black101:

Phineas was also a handsome gent:

Not bad for a dude that had this happen to his head. (:nms: for many folks)

Imagine him saying “Here’s business enough for you.” now. :stonk:

I remember reading about Gage in one of my history textbooks as a kid, with the story that he became an rear end in a top hat after the accident. I think it's interesting to read about how much his tale has become mythic- we'll never know the truth, really.

Gonna say that he looked a lot different than what I would have thought- especially in comparison to the photos upthread of other people who suffered horrific head injuries.

That article has some pretty :stonk: imagery, though. "After parabola-ing upward—one report claimed it whistled as it flew—the rod landed 25 yards away and stuck upright in the dirt, mumblety-peg-style. Witnesses described it as streaked with red and greasy to the touch, from fatty brain tissue."

I'd have carried the tamping rod around with me too, if only to make sure the evil thing didn't try to kill anyone else.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Technical query: why wasn't the tamping iron habitually sheathed in copper at the tip/s? It would have prevented accidental ignitions, which must have been not uncommon with iron rods.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Technical query: why wasn't the tamping iron habitually sheathed in copper at the tip/s? It would have prevented accidental ignitions, which must have been not uncommon with iron rods.

Probably the same reason people ignore or skimp on personal protective equipment today: it costed extra.

Also, it could be that they just hadn't discovered a solution to that problem at that time.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Old timey gunpowder magazines had copper linings and fittings to prevent accidental sparking from iron. Especially on warships where the entire powder store was lined with copper plating.

this blog posted:

Gunpowder for the cannons was stored in the powder-magazine at the very bottom of the ship. The magazine was a large, copper-lined room, below the waterline, where gunpowder was stored in sacks and barrels. The walls were lined with copper because copper didn’t spark, like iron did.

There's a bunch of preserved warships from that era that has been turned into museums. I visisted the HMS Victory once and can absolutely recommend a trip there if you're in the area.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

spinst posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Delano_Floyd

Dude kidnaps a little girl and raises her as his daughter. All the while sexually abusing her.

They still have no idea who she was before she was kidnapped.

They then get married when she's old enough.

THEN she has a kid, but not with Floyd.

Floyd hits her with a car, she dies. He puts the son in foster care and leaves the state.

Some time later, he returns and abducts the boy from his school. Boy is never seen again. Floyd's sitting on death row.

That picture made me cringe.

It seems Sharon Marshall has finally been identified. She was Suzanne Marie Sevakig, and Floyd was her stepfather: http://www.mattbirkbeck.com/blog/finally

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It seems Sharon Marshall has finally been identified. She was Suzanne Marie Sevakig, and Floyd was her stepfather: http://www.mattbirkbeck.com/blog/finally
what's hosed up is the casual mention of there having been other siblings of hers left in Floyd's care as well and how they were found except for a baby boy. That's before even all the Michael horror. The people pics in that wiki have some nightmarish 80s vibes. This whole thing feels kind of Killer Joe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A schizophrenic violent criminal spent 30 years tooling across the country doing whatever he wanted and those cops let him go because he was the stepfather. I wonder if he ever killed other kids and just slipped away because he was using a false identity.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

A schizophrenic violent criminal spent 30 years tooling across the country doing whatever he wanted and those cops let him go because he was the stepfather. I wonder if he ever killed other kids and just slipped away because he was using a false identity.

The answer is yes. Yes it happened. And we'll never know about it for sure. gently caress this. Sometimes I wish vigilante justice was legal. Sometimes people need to die and we shouldn't have better judgement getting in the way of it. I know thats a stupid and very, very, very idiotic view of things, but gently caress it..........it's really loving stupid. Ugh, there's no good way around this.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Simmer down, brosef.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Herv posted:

It was the British firebombing of Dresden when they stumbled across this phenomenon called 'A Firestorm' IIRC.

Of course this was perfected for 'larger scale' operations later.

Not to be funny but why is the bombing of Dresden often referred to as a "British" attack?

It was a target chosen by the British and the plan was made by the British, sure, but the Americans were all to enthusiastic to go along with it - 772 RAF aircraft participated compared to 1,676 USAAF planes.

The wikipedia page says that the American target was just the marshalling yards and not the city proper, but at a time when 25% of your bombs landing within a mile of their target was called "precision bombing" then 'a railway station in Dresden' pretty much counts as 'Dresden'. Not to mention that 1,676 planes to attack a railway station seems a bit excessive especially since the British thought they could take out a city with half that number. Incidentally, sixty of the USAAF aircraft were so far off target they bombed Prague.

Then again Britain didn't really do itself any favours. One of the senior officers involved in the planning was literally called Sir Evill.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

duckmaster posted:

Then again Britain didn't really do itself any favours. One of the senior officers involved in the planning was literally called Sir Evill.

That is a man deeply in need of a PhD.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

duckmaster posted:

Not to be funny but why is the bombing of Dresden often referred to as a "British" attack?

It was a target chosen by the British and the plan was made by the British

You just answered your own questions. Of course the Americans were willing to go along if it meant ending the war. And since it was a British plan, they got to fly at night, while the Americans flew during daylight.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
http://spartacus-educational.com/2WWdresden.htm

quote:

In 1941 Charles Portal of the British Air Staff advocated that entire cities and towns should be bombed. Portal claimed that this would quickly bring about the collapse of civilian morale in Germany. Air Marshall Arthur Harris agreed and when he became head of RAF Bomber Command in February 1942, he introduced a policy of area bombing (known in Germany as terror bombing) where entire cities and towns were targeted.

In 1945, Arthur Harris decided to create a firestorm in the medieval city of Dresden. He considered it a good target as it had not been attacked during the war and was virtually undefended by anti-aircraft guns. The population of the city was now far greater than the normal 650,000 due to the large numbers of refugees fleeing from the advancing Red Army.

Gonna have to 'stick' this one on the Brits :iceburn: but it's not like the US were slouches on this type of gig. We still have the high score.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestorm

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

duckmaster posted:

Not to be funny

No poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

duckmaster posted:

RAF Command in WW2 was full of total weirdos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Dowding,_1st_Baron_Dowding

quote:

He wrote of meeting dead "RAF boys" in his sleep – spirits who flew fighters from mountain-top runways made of light. Dowding also believed that fairies "are essential to the growth of plants and the welfare of the vegetable kingdom"

http://www.strangehistory.net/2012/10/21/dowding-and-the-fairies/

quote:

"As well as accepting the testimonies which say that men from other worlds travel at fabulous speeds across aeons of space to land upon our globe, Lord Dowding is convinced of the existence on earth of little people so small that, for the most part, human beings overlook them. Again on the basis of his examination of the evidence; he is satisfied that elemental sprites carry out basic functions in the development of flowers, the movement of water and like duties

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

From that link:

quote:

The mother went to the local police and FBI and tried to file kidnapping charges but they declined to investigate saying that since Floyd was their stepfather he apparently had a right to take the children.

What the almighty gently caress. I hope the full horror of what that girl lived through remains on their consciences to the rest of their days.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Not quite as detailed as a Wikipedia article, but this seems to fit the theme of the thread.. http://gawker.com/chef-allegedly-dismembers-and-cooks-girlfriend-in-murde-1642846574

I'm sure once it is further investigated, it will have a horribly detailed Wiki spilling everything.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
The crucial detail would be if he cooked his lovers dork and threw it on a bun.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Herv posted:

The crucial detail would be if he cooked his lovers dork and threw it on a bun.

"Try the cock, Albert."

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder

Sounds like a cut character from Gravity's Rainbow haha. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fairies?! He believes in fairies! What a weirdo!

Now lets all forget this nonsense and go attend church.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

Lord Dowding is convinced of the existence on earth of little people so small that, for the most part, human beings overlook them. Again on the basis of his examination of the evidence; he is satisfied that elemental sprites carry out basic functions in the development of flowers,

Most people call these 'bees'.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

This is the man Britain charged with prosecuting the air war against Germany. Thank god they kicked him out before they got the bomb.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Lone Badger posted:

Picturing him on his deathbed saying "wait, have I been saying 'fairies' all this time? Haha, so sorry! I meant 'bees.'" is pretty great.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mycroft Holmes posted:

This is the man Britain charged with prosecuting the air war against Germany. Thank god they kicked him out before they got the bomb.

I'll let him believe in fairies. He did a drat fine job of defending Britain in a very difficult situation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Quarex posted:

Picturing him on his deathbed saying "wait, have I been saying 'fairies' all this time? Haha, so sorry! I meant 'bees.'" is pretty great.

Beads?!

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Some news site posted:

In a probable cause affidavit filed Monday, Oberhansley admitted to police that he broke into Blanton's home and stabbed her multiple times, killing her.

The affidavit said after Oberhansley killed Blanton, he removed parts of her skull and brain, heart and part of a lung. The document said Oberhansley told detectives he cooked and ate the organs.

In court on Monday, Oberhansley told the judge that police have the wrong guy because his name is Zeus Brown, a former NFL player for the Ravens and the Browns, and he doesn't know if he's a U.S. citizen.

Read more: http://www.wlky.com/news/formal-charges-could-be-filed-monday-in-jeffersonville-slaying/28061146#ixzz3FUYD1NKr

This happened pretty close to me. Apparently the dude has been in jail multiple times before and I think he got charged with manslaughter prior to this. I dunno man but I don't think this dude was in the NFL.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

i must compose posted:

This happened pretty close to me.

Me too! and he definitely wasn't in the NFL, they'd eat pieces of poo poo like him for breakfast.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bees!

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Oh dear God, BEES!!!

Man Killed by 800,000 Bees Hiding in the Attic

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

quote:

It's the second major bee attack in Arizona in the last month—about 10,000 bees swarmed into a Surprise, AZ couple's home in September, forcing firefighters to douse the house in foam.

Holy loving poo poo.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Going back a few pages to the bombing of Hiroshima:

One of the all-time scariest historical themes to me is mutually assured destruction, but mostly because it wasn't mutual. Herman Kahn wrote On Thermonuclear War in 1960 for the RAND Corporation as an exploration of the possibility of "winning" a nuclear war. His conclusions were that the best nuclear arsenals in existence couldn't reliably destroy a population that had made basic efforts to prepare for them (fallout shelters, evacuation plans, etc.) and that the first country to launch a nuclear volley was most likely to win the resulting war; it made the most sense to prepare for a "mixed" conflict involving both conventional and nuclear warfare since MAD wasn't a reliable deterrent. The American approach was that the threat of MAD was enough of a deterrent to prevent a nuclear war, as long as the Soviets didn't plan on a mixed war, so we took really half-assed precautions like teaching kids "duck and cover"; after the collapse of the USSR, we found out that they planned on fighting a mixed war.

e: As an equally bleak footnote, The Dead Hand is a fantastic book about the US/USSR arms race, including programs like the Soviet dead hand of the title, a way of ensuring that if the entire Soviet chain of command was obliterated, seismic and radiation sensors would trigger a full nuclear response either without human intervention or with the help of basically anyone with low-level clearance. Unofficially, it's still in existence and still operational.

Also, the Soviets advised Ronald Reagan not to build SDI (the space lasers to blow up incoming missiles), not because it would remove the threat of MAD and provoke America into starting a "winnable" nuclear war, but because they'd already tried it and it didn't work.

RNG has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

i must compose posted:

This happened pretty close to me. Apparently the dude has been in jail multiple times before and I think he got charged with manslaughter prior to this. I dunno man but I don't think this dude was in the NFL.

Zeus Brown did play football for the Browns, but he was a giant black man. Pretty sure the short white guy is lying.

Edit: Also, Zeus Brown has been dead for like three years. Reincarnation?