Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Another anecdotal example of the funny way Canadians view our economy

quote:

A new Ipsos Reid poll says that nearly half of 1,252 Torontonians surveyed are living paycheque to paycheque, and almost six out of every 10 respondents say they are unsure if they would be able to find another job quickly if they were to become unemployed. While most of the survey participants plan on remaining in Toronto, 90 per cent think that the city is becoming increasingly difficult for the average person to afford to live in. On the brighter side, there was also a strongish sense of optimism about the state of the economy, with 69 per cent of people saying they are confident in the future of the economy in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

The one thing that everyone in this thread should be able to get behind.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Peugeot206 posted:

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/Pete+McMartin+Vancouver+Lotus+Land+Lowest+Land/10253972/story.html

There's a salary comparison chart on the web page that I can't upload in this post.

I don't know much about the Vancouver job market, but the last place ranking surprises me.

Anecdotal observation: Wealthy immigrants aside, I have never seen a place where so many people had 'nice' things. I guess it's not because of their salaries.

You don't need money to buy anything anymore. You just need 'vision'.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

Another anecdotal example of the funny way Canadians view our economy
That's why you need to buy a house. When you build equity it doesn't matter how much money you make.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think it is actually part of the reason that Vancouver's economy always seems have one get rich quick scheme or another driving it. If it isn't flipping houses, it's selling mining ventures. If we build a tech park, that will compensate for the lack of all the other things that drive a tech startup scene right?

Your education or work ethic only really gets you so far income-wise, so people start to look for other options.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And that's why we have bullshit companies like:
1) Dwave - I could pay for amazon mechanical turk to pump out calculations faster.
2) General Fusion - lol ok you're just going to magically produce a miniature tokamak that works better than um the real tokamak
3) Ballard - It's been 20 years and they're selling a product no one wants to buy.
4) every single loving kid out there writing a phone app that's going to revolutionize eating

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 16, 2019

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cultural Imperial posted:

1) Dwave - I could pay for amazon mechanical turk to pump out calculations faster.

Sorry man, but you poo poo the bed here. DWave is probably the only high tech startup of significance to come out of Canada in the past thirty years which is why they're drowning in money from multiple US defense contractors, NASA, and Google.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know why, but a lot of the people I talk to use the high housing prices as proof the economy is doing well. Supply and demand. House prices keep going up, that means more and more people with money need housing in desirable areas. Look at Detroit, economy died and housing prices died with them. Housing prices are set simply by the market, and the market has spoken that Vancouver is the best place on earth. This is basic econ 101 poo poo, come on.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why, but a lot of the people I talk to use the high housing prices as proof the economy is doing well. Supply and demand. House prices keep going up, that means more and more people with money need housing in desirable areas. Look at Detroit, economy died and housing prices died with them. Housing prices are set simply by the market, and the market has spoken that Vancouver is the best place on earth. This is basic econ 101 poo poo, come on.
Some times a little bit of knowledge is more dangerous than none.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rime posted:

Sorry man, but you poo poo the bed here. DWave is probably the only high tech startup of significance to come out of Canada in the past thirty years which is why they're drowning in money from multiple US defense contractors, NASA, and Google.

So your success story is a company that does something that only exists in theoretical space at this time.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

sbaldrick posted:

So your success story is a company that does something that only exists in theoretical space at this time.

You mean the multiple units they've sold to outfits like Lockheed Martin and Harvard aren't real? They're gonna be real pissed when they find out they've been computing on thin air all these years! :ohdear:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Wrong.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2014/06/19/quantum-chaos-after-a-failed-speed-test-the-d-wave-debate-continues/

quote:

The latest entry is out today in the new issue of Science. (The paper has been out in preprint since January.) A group of researchers from EHT Zurich, Google, Microsoft, the University of Southern California and the University of California at Santa Barbara gained access to Lockheed’s D-Wave machine and subjected it to a series of tests. They wanted to see whether the machine exhibited quantum speedup—that is, whether it was any faster than a classical computer running the same sorts of problems.

The first thing to know about the D-Wave Two is that it is not a general quantum computer—it’s what is called a quantum annealer, which should, in theory, be capable of solving certain types of optimization and sorting problems exponentially faster than a classical computer. To test it, the authors of the Science paper tested 1,000 randomly chosen cost-function problems on both the D-Wave Two and a classical annealer.

They found that, overall, the D-Wave did not exhibit quantum speedup on the set of problems used. The group phrased its findings very diplomatically. “This does not mean the device cannot have quantum speedup,” lead author Matthias Troyer says. “It just means that in the tests we conducted, [quantum speedup] was not there.”

quote:

Colin Williams told me that “in the next six months or so” we would see new results showing that the D-Wave machine is indeed faster than a classical annealer, given the right problems. If D-Wave does show quantum speedup, it will be a big deal—a “huge advance,” Troyer says. Even so, quantum computing will still face a slog in the years ahead. “There are big challenges to making this a real device even if there is quantum speedup,” Troyer says. “To make it useful as a product, they have a long way to go after [quantum speedup] is shown.”

I mentioned Troyer’s paper the other evening to a physicist friend who happened to be in town. He’s finishing up a postdoc in Europe and thinking about what to do next. He just turned down a job doing quantum computing research for a big private player because the timing wasn’t right—he would have had to leave his postdoc early, and, he says, a job like that can wait a few months. There is plenty of time. It’s going to be a while before anyone has a practical quantum computer.

But nevermind this is fuckin unicorn technology, UBC and SFU pump out tons of high quality graduates, people that I would have no qualms about giving a job to (I am not an SFU or UBC grad). Why the gently caress is Vancouver's tech scene so pathetic that we're busy getting excited about nonsense like a loving quantum computer or cold fusion generator?

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 2, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

Only because if anyone shows even the slightest promise of making a useful quantum computer, you quite rightly shower them with money. It's a hedge against the scenario of quantum computing becoming a reality and you don't have a seat at the table.

None of this means they will amount to an actual business of significance; cf Ballard.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

https://journals.aps.org/prx/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevX.4.021041

No, U.

I find it amusing that you all bitch about there being a lack of innovative startups in town other than trash outfits like Hootsuite, and then poo poo all over the few that are actually doing innovative work. :v:

E: GF isn't building a cold fusion reactor, BTW. They're prototyping a magnetized target reactor, which is completely and utterly different.

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 2, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

(Received 13 December 2013; published 29 May 2014)

U.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

https://journals.aps.org/prx/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevX.4.021041

No, U.

I find it amusing that you all bitch about there being a lack of innovative startups in town other than trash outfits like Hootsuite, and then poo poo all over the few that are actually doing innovative work. :v:

It's not innovative work and it's bullshit because it doesn't generate any revenue. It's a loving scam.

e: to be more clear, I think burning up VC cash is about as useful as loosening lending standards to generate growth in an economy

e2: cmon man does it make any material difference wtf i call GF's nonexistent product

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 2, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

It's not innovative work and it's bullshit because it doesn't generate any revenue. It's a loving scam.

So is everything else in BC, the only thing that's changed in a hundred years is now we're pumping VC firms to fund interesting technology instead of loading up a shotgun with some gold dust and firing it at the wall of a cave in the Fraser.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

So is everything else in BC, the only thing that's changed in a hundred years is now we're pumping VC firms to fund interesting technology instead of loading up a shotgun with some gold dust and firing it at the wall of a cave in the Fraser.

Well, I completely agree with you here. Having grown up partially in Vancouver, it's very sad that this province hasn't been able to build a strong economy in 100 years. What's the difference between Murray Pezim and the Aquilinis? I'm pretty sure there isn't any.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rime posted:

Lexicon posted:

Only because if anyone shows even the slightest promise of making a useful quantum computer, you quite rightly shower them with money. It's a hedge against the scenario of quantum computing becoming a reality and you don't have a seat at the table.

None of this means they will amount to an actual business of significance; cf Ballard.

Lexicon is right. DWave is a joke.

Well, I completely agree with you here. Having grown up partially in Vancouver, it's very sad that this province hasn't been able to build a strong economy in 100 years. What's the difference between Murray Pezim and the Aquilinis? I'm pretty sure there isn't any.

It's unbelievable how people ignore the fact that they basically started as slumlords. This fawning article in the Vancouver Sun has to be one of the low points of Canadian journalism in the past decade. I've heard tons of stories from friends who have worked or currently work for them, and to put it mildly the sons don't sound very competent.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 2, 2014

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 8, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ We only poo poo on it because, as in all aspects of Vancouver, BPOEers write cheques their rear end can't cash about the state of the industry.

It's a little hard to stomach "Silicon Valley North" when we're talking Hootsuite and a few mid level payment cos. And that's without getting into the salary thing.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 8, 2014

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sassafras posted:

When you guys get into "poo poo on Vancouver tech" mode, you always miss the 1500+ employees (excluding Shaw, Telus, banks, govts, & crown corps) in misc networking / security companies, the uncountable total among all the 20-100 employee local companies involved in miscellaneous forms of payment processing / point of sale software, etc.

Sure, there aren't any 50,000 employee behemoths, but there are entire segments of the industry that you seem blind to from website-for-lowest-bid perspective or whatever.

All of which exists in Dallas Texas, or in any city of a million+ people. Only Vancouver seems to try to justify housing speculation based on this tech boom (and Lululemon).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Sassafras posted:

The last few offers friends of mine have accepted in Vancouver were all in the 115-130k/year range for base salary, plus stock, RSP matching, other benefits. Sure, same people would be closer to 150k-175k base in SF or Seattle but hey... it's home!

If you don't mind my asking, what companies are offering this and to do what?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 8, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Sassafras posted:

Well, as a broad hint, Amazon plus a variety of networking gear / computer security industry companies. Generally 5-10 years of solid experience, being hired into somewhat senior positions.

Those salaries aren't too bad but they're terrible considering the marketability of anyone who'd qualify for those jobs. The job market in the us is really good for people of that calibre as well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Peugeot206 posted:

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/Pete+McMartin+Vancouver+Lotus+Land+Lowest+Land/10253972/story.html

There's a salary comparison chart on the web page that I can't upload in this post.

I don't know much about the Vancouver job market, but the last place ranking surprises me.

Anecdotal observation: Wealthy immigrants aside, I have never seen a place where so many people had 'nice' things. I guess it's not because of their salaries.

lmao

Anyone from BC would basically be better off not staying local and instead going to area with more competitive salaries.

ocrumsprug posted:

All of which exists in Dallas Texas, or in any city of a million+ people. Only Vancouver seems to try to justify housing speculation based on this tech boom (and Lululemon).

Yup another aspect of the bubble is there's nothing in the BC economy to justify the big home price increases. It's not a center of commerce, jobs or innovation like NYC, London, Bay Area or the NE biotech corridor.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 2, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

What the hell is the scale on that graph?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

empty quotin' 'dis

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dr. Stab posted:

What the hell is the scale on that graph?

The same scale they use in bitcoin graphs.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

FrozenVent posted:

The same scale they use in bitcoin graphs.

and Fox news

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

empty quotin' 'dis

Basically it's pretty hilarious for people to claim that the sky high prices in BC is due to having a world class economy.

Also lolling how even the GTA has pretty dismal salaries for people with 4 year degree, while Calgary is much higher by comparison.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 3, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Rime posted:

You mean the multiple units they've sold to outfits like Lockheed Martin and Harvard aren't real? They're gonna be real pissed when they find out they've been computing on thin air all these years! :ohdear:

Ballard also sold some units to some people for a while and was worth over $1b at one point. I'm not even sure they're still listed now. Not saying DWave isn't good as I don't know much about the tech, but until they're making earnings it's all spec.

Lexicon posted:

Beat me to it.

Rime posted:

No this still happens, it's just marginally harder to get public investors to believe it due to relatively rigorous disclosure standards. The tech industry has no such regulations so you see all sorts of hilarious unverifiable (and difficult to refute) claims.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
TIME FOR SOME INTROSPECTION.

http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1170721,00.html

quote:

is all the talk about a real estate bubble just a lot of hot air? For all the dire warnings that a pop may well be on its way, 2005 proved to be another record year for the housing market. Home prices rose 13% last year, according to a report released last week by the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO). What's more, last year's gains cap a five-year run-up in which home prices have soared 58%.
And the boom continued to be widespread. According to data collected from mortgages involving Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae, which OFHEO oversees, all but one of the 275 major metropolitan areas the agency surveyed showed rising values from 2004 to 2005. The most notable gains were in the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale area of Arizona, where home prices have already almost doubled in the last five years. Last year, prices rose again by nearly 40%. Arizona's hot housing market helped push it, and its neighboring Mountain states — Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Montana and Utah — to the top of OFHEO's list of fastest-growing regions. The Pacific region — Washington, Oregon and California — came in next with regional prices increases of 18.75%. Home prices on the East Coast, in states from Maryland to Florida, showed their fastest growth rate since 1975, jumping nearly 18%. The smallest gains continued to occur in New England and the Midwest, where prices still managed to increase by about 10% and 7% respectively.

So given all those encouraging signs, is it still likely that the real estate market's bubble will actually burst anytime soon? "The market's been incredibly strong," says OFHEO's chief economist, Patrick Lawler. "But the rises we've seen over the last couple of years just aren't sustainable."

A report released on Monday by the National Association of Realtors seems to agree. Sales of previously owned homes fell by nearly 3% in January, the fifth monthly decline in a row. The Realtors' group also estimates that more than a half-million new homes are sitting unsold, staying on the market about five months, the longest time in a decade. While that may sound like bad news for sellers, buyers are happily finding more time to pick and choose property. According to NAR's chief economist, David Lereah, "This looks like we're touching down for the soft landing we've been expecting."

Yes, hmm, this can only end in a soft landing.

David Lereah is great btw, check out some of the things he's said in the past.

lmao

http://davidlereahwatch.blogspot.ca/

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/aug/28/business/fi-homedebt28

quote:

"If you paid your mortgage off, it means you probably did not manage your funds efficiently over the years," said David Lereah, chief economist of the National Association of Realtors and author of "Are You Missing the Real Estate Boom?" "It's as if you had 500,000 dollar bills stuffed in your mattress."

He called it "very unsophisticated."

Anthony Hsieh, chief executive of LendingTree Loans, an Internet-based mortgage company, used a more disparaging term. "If you own your own home free and clear, people will often refer to you as a fool. All that money sitting there, doing nothing."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

haha seriously? "If you're not up to you eyeballs in housing debt you're a financial simpleton!" ???

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The best part about this graph is Ottawa is only on top because it counts both the earliest possible government start date and the tail end of your career. No one at 25 makes 61k in Ottawa.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Baronjutter posted:

haha seriously? "If you're not up to you eyeballs in housing debt you're a financial simpleton!" ???

For what it's worth, I think buying is a terrible idea right now, but if I were carrying a mortgage with a rock-bottom interest rate, I'd be putting my money to work somewhere other than accelerated mortgage payments.

With inflation and rates how they've been (even with a modest increase), the main risk in housing isn't servicing debt but capital loss, I would think, i.e. a correction/crash.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

etalian posted:

Basically it's pretty hilarious for people to claim that the sky high prices in BC is due to having a world class economy.

Also lolling how even the GTA has pretty dismal salaries for people with 4 year degree, while Calgary is much higher by comparison.

To be fair, everyone in Calgary gets paid tons of money compared to just about anywhere else. It's not really Toronto's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Isn't Montreal also somewhat lower cost of the living compared to the other major cities?