Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gimnbo posted:

It's hard for me to give the sprite artists poo poo when the character has to be small enough that you can hand-count the pixels.

And the colors you can use are very limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I always assumed the Duke things have a butt for a head.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Since I pulled out the FF concept art, Here's the concept for the head of the Duke troopers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, the Duke troopers are called Liztroops internally. They're bipedal lizard dudes with beady little red eyes and bright markings on their heads.

ROTT 2013 has Steam Workshop now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Yeah, the Duke troopers are called Liztroops internally. They're bipedal lizard dudes with beady little red eyes and bright markings on their heads.

ROTT 2013 has Steam Workshop now.

Well, due to their stripes and the general fuzziness or the graphics, they still look like cats. Like super-evil Khajiit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, due to their stripes and the general fuzziness or the graphics, they still look like cats. Like super-evil Khajiit.
Now someone has to mod that armor and the laser gun and teleporter into Skyrim.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Chinook posted:

I still can't tell what that is supposed to represent if not a dog. I try to imagine the snout is actually a moustache, but then I can't figure out what the floppy ears are supposed to be.
I kind of assumed it was wicked-long hair, similar to Mortal Kombat [1] Shang Tsung.

Mancubi have stripes on their back, too, but they sure don't strike me as cats. (Then again, I always think that's waves of flabs of fat stacked atop one another, despite it explicitly being stripes on the original model, so)

Actually, I never once thought the lizard troopers looked feline. I just kind of assumed the stripes were because, well, lizards can have stripes and bands too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shadow Hog posted:

I kind of assumed it was wicked-long hair, similar to Mortal Kombat [1] Shang Tsung.
Mancubi have stripes on their back, too, but they sure don't strike me as cats. (Then again, I always think that's waves of flabs of fat stacked atop one another, despite it explicitly being stripes on the original model, so)

Actually, I never once thought the lizard troopers looked feline. I just kind of assumed the stripes were because, well, lizards can have stripes and bands too.

Wait a minute, they're not fat rolls? :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

Oh snap, I always figured it was just waves of fat. But there are def stripes on there (and waves of fat :haw:)

Also look at how happy that Mancubus is! :3:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 2, 2014

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The lizardmen in Duke3D always confused me because I knew they were called lizard troopers, but there's another enemy type in the game that actually looks like a lizardman complete with a tail and a lizard-like head, but they have a completely different name.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The difference being one has a laser gun and is potty-trained, the other has a minigun and shits on the floor. (Well, the facial structure is also pretty different, with the eyes of the Assault Enforcer/chaingunner looking to be further back on the head than those of the Assault Trooper/Captain/laser guys, but still, one visits the porcelain goddess, one just squats and dumps it on the tarmac.)

Speaking of making GBS threads, I think I just noticed the rockets the Assault Commander (y'know, the fat guy that flies around laughing and telling you to "SUCK IT DOWN") are apparently shot at you through his anus. Talk about explosive diarrhea.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

demonsteele is the mod that every kid growing up playing doom wanted and i love it

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The Doom engine lends itself surprisingly well to melee combat. I kind of already knew that since I love zerkin' so much but Demonsteele makes it pretty evident.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Gimnbo posted:

The Doom engine lends itself surprisingly well to melee combat. I kind of already knew that since I love zerkin' so much but Demonsteele makes it pretty evident.
...what? Meleeing stuff in Doom is notoriously finicky.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Demonsteele is great but I wish it would switch weapons when you run out of ammo. It can be rare enough and I end up scrolling through several weapons until I find one I can fire.

Beheading dudes and kicking the heads around is awesome though.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Linguica posted:

...what? Meleeing stuff in Doom is notoriously finicky.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that, myself. Other than the randomized damage, I've always felt that melee was decently solid. I guess I'd have to see or read of an example of melee being weird. I exclusively play in GZDoom and I'm not very good at the game, if that affects anything.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

GzDoom probably has different hitscan code than the original Doom, which had a bug that made it difficult to punch enemies in certain circumstances, especially large ones like a mancubus or arachnotron.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Linguica posted:

GzDoom probably has different hitscan code than the original Doom, which had a bug that made it difficult to punch enemies in certain circumstances, especially large ones like a mancubus or arachnotron.

I don't think I've ever ever tried to punch a mancubus or arachnotron.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh snap, I always figured it was just waves of fat. But there are def stripes on there (and waves of fat :haw:)

Also look at how happy that Mancubus is! :3:

Oh my god his arms are just poo poo from Home Depot. :allears:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I've never really been fond of how melee attacks always seem to insist on making me face whatever I just hit, even if they were a bit off to the side.

I should try Demonsteele, I guess, because I've been off-and-on interested in doing a mod with heavy emphasis on swordplay. (And archery, and bombs, and... alright, so it basically had your average Zelda arsenal, what of it)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Awesome

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shadow Hog posted:

Speaking of making GBS threads, I think I just noticed the rockets the Assault Commander (y'know, the fat guy that flies around laughing and telling you to "SUCK IT DOWN") are apparently shot at you through his anus. Talk about explosive diarrhea.

Worse part is that you don't get any real indication that he's launching those at you aside from a single frame firing sprite. No sound, no backflash from the rocket. GRRRRR.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shadow Hog posted:

Personally I've never really been fond of how melee attacks always seem to insist on making me face whatever I just hit, even if they were a bit off to the side.

I should try Demonsteele, I guess, because I've been off-and-on interested in doing a mod with heavy emphasis on swordplay. (And archery, and bombs, and... alright, so it basically had your average Zelda arsenal, what of it)

i heavily recommend trying it out, because there's a lot of sword usage in it and it all feels pretty smooth

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

But that's what makes punching pinkies and cacos to death dangerous!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The assault commander in Duke used to genuinely freak me out when I didn't know where one was, you just knew one was nearby, because all you could hear in the distance was a very creepy 'suck it down'.

Edit: speaking of sounds, what the hell is the sound effect for the imp supposed to be? For whatever reason, I always pictured marbles hitting each other, but not quite; space marbles I guess.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Edit: speaking of sounds, what the hell is the sound effect for the imp supposed to be? For whatever reason, I always pictured marbles hitting each other, but not quite; space marbles I guess.

Which imp sound effect? There are a few.

Edit: STOP ALREADY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdS-m2bVMG4

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 3, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Anyone recommend good map sets for Demonsteele?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I smashed through Scythe pretty quickly. The tight quarters and small maps work really quickly for the really fast pace of Demonsteele.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I can't watch the video right now, but I'm referring to the idle imp sound effect. I'm a sound designer and literally have no words to describe it.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
DECORATE makes melee in Doom surprisingly versatile and satisfying. Not to :toot: my own vaporware wad horn but I've managed some pretty neat stuff with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihcGIUTZ1YY

Additionally I'm fond of the mod Hexercise for incorporating visceral and satisfying melee combat, which is just what Hexen needed. That and less motherfucking switch hunts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MM8-1qC93w

And of course I just found it satisfying to one-shot pinkies and gib imps in vaniller Doom. I think it's the low-friction sort of movement that melee knockback has that makes it so satisfying to see something slide across the floor instead of instantly ragdoll and crumple up like a sack of potatoes.

Also lately I've been brewing up an idea for an ECWolf mod since this thread introduced me to such a lovely sourceport. It boggles me that Wolfenstein manages to be fun as hell despite the player having less of a chance of defending himself than Doom, because after all every enemy has nothing but hitscan attacks. Maybe it's not less chance and the gameplay styles are just different. I've been trying to quantify what makes a game with hitscan-only enemies fun. Must be high pain chance and close-quarters areas with places to run.

Maybe the best way to categorize it is a game like Wolfenstein is closest categorized to a twitch shooter like Counter-Strike because everything's hitscan, while Doom is more like a bullet hell shooter, with dodging projectiles being the main priority to the player instead of split-second reflexes.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The only one that makes me think of marbles colliding with one another would be its ActiveSound, frankly.

I know its Pain and DeathSounds are sampled from camels, at least, and whatever its SeeSound is was also used for those goddamn explosive flying sentries in Duke Nukem 3D (which never fails to briefly distract me).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Is the Ogre's alert wail (Quake) a distorted cat clip or what? I've always wondered.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I think it's a pitch-raised cougar or lion or something. Incidentally, what the hell is the Pig Cop's sound supposed to be?

What were the sound designers of these games smoking to somehow work these sounds in?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS5sP2MqB9E

Man, why didn't Epic think of this, a Doom 2 remake of some sort is the best use of UE4 I can think of!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My favorite id game sound will always be the Knight alert sound from Quake. HARRUUUMMMM. What is that even? HARRUUMMM. Thank you Trent, you need to do more videogame work.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I've been playing through Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and while the first two levels are a slog, it really picks up when you hit up your dad's house, get the lightsaber and a bowcaster.

On the fifth level I found an old friend. :3:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Dark Forces 1 is a much better game in my opinion. In fact it's likely my second favourite 2.5d fps

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MONKET posted:

Also lately I've been brewing up an idea for an ECWolf mod since this thread introduced me to such a lovely sourceport. It boggles me that Wolfenstein manages to be fun as hell despite the player having less of a chance of defending himself than Doom, because after all every enemy has nothing but hitscan attacks. Maybe it's not less chance and the gameplay styles are just different. I've been trying to quantify what makes a game with hitscan-only enemies fun. Must be high pain chance and close-quarters areas with places to run.

Maybe the best way to categorize it is a game like Wolfenstein is closest categorized to a twitch shooter like Counter-Strike because everything's hitscan, while Doom is more like a bullet hell shooter, with dodging projectiles being the main priority to the player instead of split-second reflexes.

Wolfenstein does a number of things that basically combine to make getting hit in Wolfenstein your fault rather than a simple consequence of being in the presence of hitscan enemies. The maps are tight and winding, with extremely aggressive AI pathfinding that can be exploited to force enemies down narrow chokepoints where they can't effectively use their firepower. The enemies have a 100% pain chance and can be stunlocked with the machine gun or chaingun. But I think the most important thing is the long windup time for the attacks of every enemy except the mutant. They have slow, extremely telegraphed attack animations, so you can duck out of the way before they shoot and then immediately pop back out and plug them. Instead of flowing continuously like Doom action, Wolfenstein combat happens more in beats, and you can evade most or all damage by fighting in counter-time and using positioning, strategy, and patience to force the Nazis to fight on your terms.

Also the world needs more ECWolf mods! Go for it!

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 3, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

For Demonsteele, I think clearer visual cues for incoming enemy attacks would be nice to have. I realize that they all have windup animations now but they're hard to catch when you're dealing with big clusterfucks of monsters. MGR's big red glint effects are a great example. Make it easier to deal with monsters in dark rooms too.

Also, I think it would be helpful if there were a unique effect that accompanied sword kills. I have a problem where I'll be dashing around and hitting multiple monsters and end up getting hit in the back because I didn't realize that enemies I had previously hit hadn't actually died. Could just be a subtle thing, a slightly different sound effect or something.

One more request. It would be cool if there were a way to do shorter dodges. Short hops to dodge through attacks without moving too far away from what you're trying to hit, long hops for closing distance. Dunno how exactly you'd do that without adding even more buttons to deal with. Maybe just vary it based on how long you hold the keys?

e: also you should add sounds for when your combo level goes up!

e2: maybe make the souls from dead enemies a little more transparent

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Dark Forces 1 is a much better game in my opinion. In fact it's likely my second favourite 2.5d fps

Psssshhh... JK-supremacy, that game was (for the time) goddamned perfect. I loved how the more you became one with the force, the easier it was to block and deflect shots fired at you.

Amazing :allears: