Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Gruknor posted:

Making fun of people like Phagen and Kalief is what I miss the most.

Did something happen to Phagen? Has Quetz lost this precious treasure of aggressive incompetence? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Shaezerus posted:

Did something happen to Phagen? Has Quetz lost this precious treasure of aggressive incompetence? :stare:

Nope, still around. I did Incursion with him, not knowing his reputation. He was bragging about getting 12 NQ boxes on a run while he 5-boxed everything. :suicide:

I go with Reborn every now and then now, and the higher levels drop like 10 NM coffers and over 300 NQ coffers per run.

Meanwhile, in Abyssea:

"STOP TAKING MY MOBS EVEN THOUGH WE ARE IN THE SAME PARTY, NOOBS!"

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Kazy posted:

"STOP TAKING MY MOBS EVEN THOUGH WE ARE IN THE SAME PARTY, NOOBS!"

Red is like purple, right?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Maybe he is trying to skill up?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

To all the dirty bastard goons who have been cuppering around without a care...
Be careful with that poo poo in instanced events like salvage and dynamis. The recent spat of bannings have been because of people literally clearing nq and hq boss, then clipping down two floors to port up and doing bosses again, farming a few thousand alex a run. Expect alexandrite to jump in price again due to the severe lack of it.

There also is/was an exploit in dynamis to reset your zone timer or loving up ADL AI involving clipping around. And there is/was an even bigger packet manipulation exploit to generate any item you could think of... like marrows/scoria (i originally thought this to be a duplication exploit).

So needless to say, expect currency and the like to jump a bit.
:lol: No wonder that dude was selling a ridiculous amount of marrows for super cheap.

I've been FFXI free for awhile and gotta say, I do not miss this awful game.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shaezerus posted:

I no longer play ffxi. So I have no idea if Phagen still plays. I am sure he does. I recently saw that he got a mythic brd dagger for his mule.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

LiquidFriend posted:

I've been FFXI free for awhile and gotta say, I do not miss this awful game.

You liar. You dream about it nightly. Don't deny it.

Yeah Phagen is still around. I don't see him shouting much anymore. Maybe he just has 5 mules now so he can play solo.
As bad as that guy is, I always gave him credit for organizing shouts. It was particularly nice when VW was more common. Could rely on him for making some good money when bored off HMP.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Been futzing around in this awful game again. Where's a decent place for beastmaster to wreck poo poo at 62ish with trust npcs?

Also the QoL improvements in this game are phenomenal. Oh you need to run to fei yin again? Nah just teleport to the crystal and bind yourself there if you so please.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Kithyen posted:

Been futzing around in this awful game again. Where's a decent place for beastmaster to wreck poo poo at 62ish with trust npcs?

Also the QoL improvements in this game are phenomenal. Oh you need to run to fei yin again? Nah just teleport to the crystal and bind yourself there if you so please.

Do the Grounds Tome for Crawler's Nest, Knight Crawlers and Helm Beetles page, or you can do the crabs and lizards page in Kuftal Tunnel. The Kuftal Tunnel's monsters are 60-64, so you might have to fight a couple of toughs.

In CN, there's only one place where there are crawlers and beetles together. They're in a side room in the circular basement with the level 99 monsters. Kuftal Tunnel is often crowded though.

Kieyen fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 27, 2014

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Huge thanks to Noyayuker and Rukuka for helping me on my last Beast AF leg that I was stuck on. Now back to the grind.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

As bad as that guy is, I always gave him credit for organizing shouts. It was particularly nice when VW was more common. Could rely on him for making some good money when bored off HMP.

I followed him around for a little while during the Voidwatch high for Aello runs when I wasn't screwing around somewhere else; dude is a visionary in inventing new and exciting ways to gently caress up a fight, which is always entertaining, and if we managed to win I got maybe 150-500k worth of heavy metal plates, so hey.

He was also the indirect cause of me clippering a fresh-out-of-chargen Level 1 alt into Sky, to see if I could. :v:

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I finally finished making an Aegis and now I just don't know what I'm doing with my life.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Male of the Century posted:

I finally finished making an Aegis and now I just don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Time for Excalibur!

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Time for Excalibur!

Burtgang is better.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

Burtgang is better.

Burtgang is best.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Got disconnected and attempts to tether my phone have not been successful as of late. Rukuka if you manage to get the eft skin you can send it to me. I'll toss you some gil in exchange for the time spent. Thank you so much to everyone that's been a huge help in my return :P

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

frodnonnag posted:

Burtgang is better.

I think u meant ragnarok.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

quote:

A new job trait, Daken, will be added.
When equipped with a shuriken, the ninja will occasionally throw it upon autoattacking.
This trait will be learned at level 25 and will increase in stages at level 40, 55, 70, and 95.
* Shuriken thrown using Daken will not be consumed.

I hated Ninja and all but holy poo poo this is a really cool trait to add.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Kithyen posted:

Got disconnected and attempts to tether my phone have not been successful as of late. Rukuka if you manage to get the eft skin you can send it to me. I'll toss you some gil in exchange for the time spent. Thank you so much to everyone that's been a huge help in my return :P

I feel bad that I sold all my balloon cloth before I knew you needed it. (I wasn't even looking for it, I was killing fomor for a PM.) Let me know when I'm on with Lioioio or Emill if you need any mission help. I've been running Emill on the PMs so I can finally finish the two quests that connect Zilart and CoP, but I don't mind taking a break to help with other things. (99thf makes farming a lot easier. )

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Well Gaspode is back, so we figured we'd get his Ochain done as efficiently as possible.

frodnonnag posted:

Burtgang is better.

Well the real answer is both. I mean what if you ever have to dual wield?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Thank you so much to everyone that's made my transition back into the game as painless as possible. Got my inventory upgraded completely, hit level 70 and then proceeded to shove chopsuey down maat's throat. I don't remember maat being that easy on beastmaster but I'm pretty sure I used a different jug pet back in the day.

Guess next step is 75, grind out the required merits for the rest of my limit breaks and gear up to wreck old content.

EDIT: Also what should I focus my login points on?

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 30, 2014

Fronkey
Oct 20, 2008
The itch to come back was too much for me too. I'm on Tethis on Siren right now, trying to figure out what all the crap in my inventory does.

I also need/want a Velvet Robe. Is anyone willing to make one for me - I'll provide materials! Are there any LS's on Siren that are recruiting?

Fronkey fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 2, 2014

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Gruknor posted:

Burtgang is best.

I'd totally be down to make and upgrade a burtgang but I'd be better off making the great katana for my samurai and I don't want to make 2. I thought they took heavy metal plates so I just ignored these all together but I see now that they don't and that I am probably insane enough to give it a shot...

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 2, 2014

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm about half done Burtgang and it's really not that bad, especially once you get going. It's really slow and easy to slack, so I started tracking everything in Excel and seeing the numbers go up is a good motivator.

Assaults were mostly easy. I solo'd them all except for Azure Ailments. Worst part is this takes a minimum 50 days to do.
Ein my LS does, but I see Tab shouting for it daily and he doesn't seem to have issues getting 6 to enter. 1920 points per T3, so another 50~ days if you go everyday. Overlaps with Assault tags at least.
NI is better than I thought. Wararies and I are duoing it for 6-8k a run each. We just alternate who spends the 1900 to start us at floor 95. Lamp floors still suck, but they don't feel as common as in NNI.
Assuming 5k average run with cost removed thats another 30 days of tags.

That's 80 days minimum due to assault tags, assuming you already have captain. Not terrible really. Only Ein requires daily work to do, the rest you can do every 5 days in bulk.

Alex is really slow, but easy too. You can get almost 100 guaranteed per run of AR2. So farming daily that's 300 days. 80 of which are required anyway for tags. You'll have lots of runs with more than 100 too.
It's safe to assume you'll be buying Alex with all your spare gil as well. I am. So I figure its gonna be half farmed at most at the rate I am going, so 100-150 days total for Alex.
I have my Salvage runs down to 20-25min now. I just get my unlocks then run right to the gears floor. Farming the other NMs has a chance to increase yield, but I was getting burnt out so I just rush it as fast as possible now. It's a lot easier to stay on track with just 30min a day.

ZNMs are a joke. With the update that made it 15x the reward for pictures that stage only takes a day of running around killing easy NMs and taking pics.

So you're looking at 80-150~ days depending on how much ichor and tokens you start with.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I'm about half done Burtgang and it's really not that bad
you're looking at 80-150~ days

This makes me laugh after seeing all the atma bitching in the FFXIV thread.

Every time I see a screenshot of this game, I miss it terribly. I still think this game is really good looking for how old it is.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 2, 2014

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Ugh you're right, when you put those sentences together it sounds absurd.
I guess I got battered wife syndrome. It's not that bad! SE is really nice to me when no one else is around. I swear!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Burtgang: SE's reacharound.

I still want to make both a relic and a mythic, and feel I need to before I can even think about moving on from this game for good.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Burtgang: SE's reacharound.

I still want to make both a relic and a mythic, and feel I need to before I can even think about moving on from this game for good.

With my friend and I, I'm thinking it's going to be the opposite: the grind to get his mythic (SMN) and my relic (BRD) is what's going to make him or both of us quit the game. The shear amount of time and money it's going to take us to accumulate the materials for this crap just so people will take me to any events (and I've ALSO got to grind for a Daurdabla on top of needing a Gjallarhorn) is utterly ridiculous, and my friend doesn't even have that to motivate him since they STILL won't take him even if he gets geared up.

Just typing that alone is making me want to say "gently caress it" to the whole thing.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Copycat Zero posted:

With my friend and I, I'm thinking it's going to be the opposite: the grind to get his mythic (SMN) and my relic (BRD) is what's going to make him or both of us quit the game. The shear amount of time and money it's going to take us to accumulate the materials for this crap just so people will take me to any events (and I've ALSO got to grind for a Daurdabla on top of needing a Gjallarhorn) is utterly ridiculous, and my friend doesn't even have that to motivate him since they STILL won't take him even if he gets geared up.

Just typing that alone is making me want to say "gently caress it" to the whole thing.

Dharp is just mean. Seriously, at least ochain is useful before the plates.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Can't you just get that new 119 harp and call it a day? People only seem to care about having the extra song, not how strong it is.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Can't you just get that new 119 harp and call it a day? People only seem to care about having the extra song, not how strong it is.

Fully functional dharp is four songs, so it's 1 better than terp.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

The Catch 22 of gearing up off of end-game content: No one will take me because I'm not a 3-song bard; I'm not a 3-song bard because no one will take me.

And the only things anyone ever asks for are, like, WHM, SCH, and BRD, whereas the only other 99 jobs I have are THF and BLM.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Copycat Zero posted:

In that case, lemme list out all sperg like why Nirvana is awesome for summoner, and why i paid for two of them!

Nirvana is the only summoner weapon with -8 perp, the next best is -5 from an augmented skirmish weapon. This lets you cap perp with it, a hag body augmented and evoker's ring. Coming monday's update, it lets you stack skill easier for keeping -perp, +refresh, and +skill balanced to cap favor in the new setup.

Nirvana is the only weapon with a direct +40% damage boost to bloodpacts. This is by a large margin the biggest boost to melee pacts, as no other weapon boosts them near as much, you at most only get like a handfull of atk.

Nirvana's +2 to avatar level gives you a huge relatively unrealized stat boost. As is it gives +57 accuracy and attack to your avatar, as well as an assumed similar amount to mab/macc.

Nirvana also opens up smn/sch nuking with perdition slops to let you WS and have up aftermath.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

frodnonnag posted:

In that case, lemme list out all sperg like why Nirvana is awesome for summoner, and why i paid for two of them!

Nirvana is the only summoner weapon with -8 perp, the next best is -5 from an augmented skirmish weapon. This lets you cap perp with it, a hag body augmented and evoker's ring. Coming monday's update, it lets you stack skill easier for keeping -perp, +refresh, and +skill balanced to cap favor in the new setup.

Nirvana is the only weapon with a direct +40% damage boost to bloodpacts. This is by a large margin the biggest boost to melee pacts, as no other weapon boosts them near as much, you at most only get like a handfull of atk.

Nirvana's +2 to avatar level gives you a huge relatively unrealized stat boost. As is it gives +57 accuracy and attack to your avatar, as well as an assumed similar amount to mab/macc.

Nirvana also opens up smn/sch nuking with perdition slops to let you WS and have up aftermath.

Oh, yeah, I don't doubt it, and all those reasons are why my friend's dead-set on getting his (although I still think the grind's going to make him quit long before he gets there, because he doesn't really have patience for grinding out, well, anything). But I do doubt that having one is going to make anyone more likely to want to take him to anything, especially since, as I said in my post about Terpander, people on our server only ever shout for supporty jobs, even within our own LS (and he's already expressed a lack of interest in gearing out his WHM).

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Copycat Zero posted:

Oh, yeah, I don't doubt it, and all those reasons are why my friend's dead-set on getting his (although I still think the grind's going to make him quit long before he gets there, because he doesn't really have patience for grinding out, well, anything). But I do doubt that having one is going to make anyone more likely to want to take him to anything, especially since, as I said in my post about Terpander, people on our server only ever shout for supporty jobs, even within our own LS (and he's already expressed a lack of interest in gearing out his WHM).

Summoner is getting a few changes next update, notably changes to avatar's favor. we'll see the scope of what that accomplishes.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
My advice, Copycat, is really only do a relic or dharp or anything if you actually really like the game. Doing those items just to get accepted into other events or linkshells is just a sure-fire way to make you hate the game

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Copycat Zero posted:

The Catch 22 of gearing up off of end-game content: No one will take me because I'm not a 3-song bard; I'm not a 3-song bard because no one will take me.

And the only things anyone ever asks for are, like, WHM, SCH, and BRD, whereas the only other 99 jobs I have are THF and BLM.

The end game you're not getting into doesn't help you get 3 song 4 song w/e item. So it's not really a catch 22.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

A.G.Pennypacker posted:

My advice, Copycat, is really only do a relic or dharp or anything if you actually really like the game. Doing those items just to get accepted into other events or linkshells is just a sure-fire way to make you hate the game

Yeah, that's the basic conclusion I'm beginning to come to. I'm more-and-more tempted just to say "finish the storylines, uninstall the game forever" and just stop worrying about what my LS is doing.

Holyshoot posted:

The end game you're not getting into doesn't help you get 3 song 4 song w/e item. So it's not really a catch 22.

In the specific example of Terpander, which requires a drop from a Delve Megaboss (as well as the title from said Megaboss, so I couldn't just by the item off the AH even if I was willing to drop that much money), a SKCNM20 win on "Difficult" or "Very Difficult", and a win on the battlefields above that on "Normal", it does. It's not required for Daurdabla, no, but the question I was respooding to was "why don't you just get Terpander instead?".

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Copycat Zero posted:

Yeah, that's the basic conclusion I'm beginning to come to. I'm more-and-more tempted just to say "finish the storylines, uninstall the game forever" and just stop worrying about what my LS is doing.

In the specific example of Terpander, which requires a drop from a Delve Megaboss (as well as the title from said Megaboss, so I couldn't just by the item off the AH even if I was willing to drop that much money), a SKCNM20 win on "Difficult" or "Very Difficult", and a win on the battlefields above that on "Normal", it does. It's not required for Daurdabla, no, but the question I was respooding to was "why don't you just get Terpander instead?".

it only needs the item and one of those clear conditions, not all of them, clearing the skcm20s on difficult or the merit bcnm on normal is quite easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

frodnonnag posted:

it only needs the item and one of those clear conditions, not all of them, clearing the skcm20s on difficult or the merit bcnm on normal is quite easy.

Does it? *rechecks wiki* Ah, so it does. Well, then...

Now as to where I'll get 3+ million gil for all the components...

...and whether it's actually worth it to me to bother to do so anymore...