Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

(his real name being the Yule Man, btw)

This yules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
It looks like he's about to brain the viewer with candy cane while smiling psychotically.

Wild T posted:

My irrational hatred for Kirk Cameron aside
That's perfectly rational.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Cameron of course took this as a persecution complex

I don't see a whole lot of celebrating going on there.

Wild T posted:

Although I hope this movie makes a meager profit, so I can hold out hope for a sequel coproduced by Tyler Perry. We could have Christian White and his cousin Christian Black teaming up to save Easter.

They don't need that, they already have an embarrassing black stereotype character in that guy doing his impression of a black preacher as written by white people in the trailer.

sbaldrick posted:

Atheists will say "What the gently caress is this crap" and "who the gently caress has wild dance parties at a Christmas party without being trashed" which based on the trailer no one is.

Personally I'm curious as to why movies keep doing the "Soul Train dance line" scene when nobody in real life has actually done that in decades.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 31, 2014

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

That is my favorite part. Literally Yule is attested decades before christianity is known to have arrived in northern Europe. I mean aside from that I know where Santa Clause comes from (his real name being the Yule Man, btw). He is a very big nisse, nisser being the creatures that live in every house lot. You have to feed your nisse, if you don't, they may knock the life out of your cows, and if you keep not feeding your nisse they'll most likely slip a disc on you or something, make your back all crooked.

Wait, so Santa is literally an overgrown Domovoi?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So I'm watching the History Channel movie Son of God, and though I'm only a half-hour in, I've been collecting some thoughts:

Did you know that even though Jesus was all man, he could walk across the desert without breaking a sweat?

Many people know about Jesus's miracles and parables, but few of them know about that time he picked up and put down a rock.

Did you know that Jesus converted Peter in a one-hour pitch?

Did you know the average amount of fish that rots away on the hot set of your average Jesus film could feed a starving village of 5,000 for a day?

For all of you kids, when Jesus says he will make Peter a "fisher of men," he is not trying to recruit him as a male prostitute. "Fish" means something entirely different here."

Despite popular confusion, and though Jesus told many parables, "Be Like Water" was not one of them. That was Bruce Lee.

That Jesus did not in fact heal the lame man only because he felt the doubt in the hearts of his followers, but because he was called out, and he decided to make them look like idiots. Jesus was kinda smug, but, you know, if you were God's son, you'd be a little smug, too, I reckon.

The Beatitudes have it all wrong, "Life of Brian"-style. Jesus really said "Blast" not "blessed."

Did you know that Jesus did not rebuke multiple Pharisees in separate instances, but actually the same Pharisee over and over again? Pharisees in Jerusalem were basically like that one or two cops in 70s action shows.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Just Offscreen posted:

Wait, so Santa is literally an overgrown Domovoi?

Pretty much. That article also links to tomte, the Swedish word for nisse. A "hustomt" in Danish even means a house lot, but I don't know if they're cognate.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

K. Waste posted:

So I'm watching the History Channel movie Son of God, and though I'm only a half-hour in, I've been collecting some thoughts:

Did you know that even though Jesus was all man, he could walk across the desert without breaking a sweat?

Many people know about Jesus's miracles and parables, but few of them know about that time he picked up and put down a rock.

Did you know that Jesus converted Peter in a one-hour pitch?

Did you know the average amount of fish that rots away on the hot set of your average Jesus film could feed a starving village of 5,000 for a day?

For all of you kids, when Jesus says he will make Peter a "fisher of men," he is not trying to recruit him as a male prostitute. "Fish" means something entirely different here."

Despite popular confusion, and though Jesus told many parables, "Be Like Water" was not one of them. That was Bruce Lee.

That Jesus did not in fact heal the lame man only because he felt the doubt in the hearts of his followers, but because he was called out, and he decided to make them look like idiots. Jesus was kinda smug, but, you know, if you were God's son, you'd be a little smug, too, I reckon.

The Beatitudes have it all wrong, "Life of Brian"-style. Jesus really said "Blast" not "blessed."

Did you know that Jesus did not rebuke multiple Pharisees in separate instances, but actually the same Pharisee over and over again? Pharisees in Jerusalem were basically like that one or two cops in 70s action shows.

Every time I hear about Jesus movies, I just think about how much I love Last Temptation of Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4Yzif8jQY

It's one of my favourite movies. It's the only Jesus movie I've seen that takes his message seriously.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's one of my favourite movies. It's the only Jesus movie I've seen that takes his message seriously.

You should really, really see Pier Paolo Pasolini's The Gospel According to St. Matthew - or, the one where Jesus is kind of an rear end in a top hat because, duh, I'm trying to give you the key to salvation you idiots.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Pretty much. That article also links to tomte, the Swedish word for nisse. A "hustomt" in Danish even means a house lot, but I don't know if they're cognate.

Here in Iceland there are 13 santas each with their own gimmick. One is a midget, one steals sausages, one is a peeping tom, one slams doors really hard in the middle of the night etc.. Their mother is a child eating ogress and their cat devours everyone who doesn't get any clothes for Christmas. They've been Americanized a lot in the last century losing their rags in favour of the red Santa suit and toning down the petty crime and cannibalism in favour of placing small treats or toys in shoes left in windows.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

K. Waste posted:

I misread that as meaning that "Jesus was really manly" and got confused, because what's more manly than walking through a desert without breaking a sweat?

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
So I saw christian film "The Identical" the other day. For the uninformed, here's the basic premise: ever hear that elvis has a twin? Well in this world he lived and was given away and this twin went on to be a Elvis impersonator.

This movie was the worst movie I have seen in a long time but it's so bad it's fascinating.

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrOTMc0wIo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait isn't that the plot of a Twilight Zone episode?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Optimist with doubt posted:

So I saw christian film "The Identical" the other day. For the uninformed, here's the basic premise: ever hear that elvis has a twin? Well in this world he lived and was given away and this twin went on to be a Elvis impersonator.

This movie was the worst movie I have seen in a long time but it's so bad it's fascinating.

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrOTMc0wIo

Why didn't they use Elvis' name? Why did they come up with some other bullshit name?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mordiceius posted:

Why didn't they use Elvis' name? Why did they come up with some other bullshit name?

Because the Elvis estate would sue the gently caress out of them

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Because the Elvis estate would sue the gently caress out of them

Yeah, the same reason Bubba Ho-Tep dances around Bruce Campbell's identity so hard. They're all actually pretty lucky that Elvis created such a strong public persona with so many unique costumes and distinctive movements.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you guys think Left Behind is going to do? It looks like even worse garbage than your typical evangelical bait, but even God's Not Dead grossed 60 million dollars, and Left Behind has the name recognition of the novels behind it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

How do you guys think Left Behind is going to do? It looks like even worse garbage than your typical evangelical bait, but even God's Not Dead grossed 60 million dollars, and Left Behind has the name recognition of the novels behind it.
They have the same distributor as God's Not Dead so it should do alright. It probably depends on how much GND was trading on dumb controversy and cameos versus genuine interest in Christian media.

Pat Robertson can promote the poo poo out of a movie if he wants to. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe had as much CBN coverage as Hurricane Katrina.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Also Nicholas Cage.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You would think that Christians would be grateful that secularists were keen on removing all aspects of Christ from their 1/3 year long consumer blitz.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

sector_corrector posted:

Left behind may do pretty well just because of people ironically going to see Nicholas Cage.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
There's serious enjoyment in just watching Nicholas Cage act these days. If he has the right hair I could see us watching it…

It's basically a win-win because the Christian side will see it as spreading their message while the secular side will enjoy another dumb action movie with Nicholas Cage being insane.

I'm saying the secret to bridging the culture gap you guys were talking about a page or two ago? Nick Cage.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Holy poo poo The Life Zone is the worst. Terrifying but for reasons I'm sure the director didn't intend. How is forcing someone to go through an unwanted pregnancy and birth seen as the GOOD thing to do? Someone could have taken that exact plot and made a brilliant feminist horror film.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Holy poo poo The Life Zone is the worst. Terrifying but for reasons I'm sure the director didn't intend. How is forcing someone to go through an unwanted pregnancy and birth seen as the GOOD thing to do? Someone could have taken that exact plot and made a brilliant feminist horror film.

John Carpenter did something like that for Masters of Horror.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is how you advertise a 4% RT movie

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Well, at least one person thought it was pretty great!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Language warning

Crude or Profane Language:

"Gosh" and "Jeez-Louise

Sexual Content:

Ray and Hattie flirt as they edge toward a night together. After he tells her about the night out he's got planned, she suggestively coos, "I am gonna find a way to pay you back." A few low-cut blouses get screen time, and when Chloe stumbles and falls, the camera spies her bra underneath.
http://www.pluggedin.com/movies/intheaters/left-behind-2014.aspx

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Every review I've read for this says this movie looks like it had a cable-access budget, which is pretty hilarious

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This is how you advertise a 4% RT movie

3% now :laugh:

I love yow they must have thought that the movie going public was going to take them seriously this time.

EDIT: This is about how well One for the Money did. I want to visit an alternate universe where Katherine Heigl was cast in this film too.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 3, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What the gently caress

quote:

This film contains maybe the most offensive depiction of a Little Person that I’ve ever seen in any form of media; he is angry, short-tempered, thieving, accusatory, and generally a bad person, and the film strongly implies all this is predominately due to his stature. At the end of the film, he is punted down a slide like a football. I don’t need to defend any position that this film is as un-Christian as you can get, given its depiction of this character. It’s either a joke on the part of the filmmakers—in which case it’s not only horribly misguided, but actually deserving of an apology on their part—or some other kind of moral or intellectual failure by all involved. But whatever it is, it is the most mean-spirited, insensitive, idiotic thing I’ve seen in my tenure reviewing for Christianity Today.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What the gently caress

I hope it is Nicolas Cage doing the punting. That would be the only thing that could trump his Wicker Man "punching a woman in the face while wearing a bear suit."

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
In other Christian film news, a movie called The Remaining opened recently, though I've seen absolutely no signs of it. IMDb says it got a limited release sometime last month, and CanIStream.It says no, I cannot stream it anywhere.

IMDb posted:

Friends gather at a wedding, but the celebration is shattered by terrifying apocalyptic events forcing them to examine life, love and faith as they must choose between redemption and survival.

It sounds like it's basically a Christian version of Melancholia, and since that apparently wasn't enough, it's also a found footage film, which has me extremely curious.

Does anyone know anything about this film?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Apparently Nic Cage just phones it in, so the movie isn't even worth it for that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jay Dub posted:

In other Christian film news, a movie called The Remaining opened recently, though I've seen absolutely no signs of it. IMDb says it got a limited release sometime last month, and CanIStream.It says no, I cannot stream it anywhere.

It sounds like it's basically a Christian version of Melancholia, and since that apparently wasn't enough, it's also a found footage film, which has me extremely curious.

Does anyone know anything about this film?

I hope the moral conundrum they face is that they'd really like to shag before the apocalypse hits but they're not officially married yet so they can't.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope the moral conundrum they face is that they'd really like to shag before the apocalypse hits but they're not officially married yet so they can't.

Kind of same thing
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BkVKXJB6p8w

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nicholas Cage not playing the Antichrist is a real missed opportunity.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It even depicts an angry little person who gets punted down an airplane slide. ~*Christian Love*~

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nicholas Cage not playing the Antichrist is a real missed opportunity.

Apparently the Antichrist isn't even in it. It's just an adaptation of like the first third of the book.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DStecks posted:

Apparently the Antichrist isn't even in it. It's just an adaptation of like the first third of the book.
Then what's even the point.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FlamingLiberal posted:

To make Left Behind 2: The Search for More Money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Start a FRANCHISE, restart whatever. They'll probably do well enough with the crowd that laps up whacky Christian media no matter how lovely, that will be the only thing that saves it. Question is will it be like a long winded horror series where they make just enough money to justify making another one, or like Atlas Shrugged where they lose crazy money but continue on out of sheer stubbornness.

• Locked thread