Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Nah, he just whines and spouts gibberish from a teenager's half-assed theory of comedy. I guess it's kinda funny, in a "kid with the helmet can't open his juice box" way.

But back to the topic of movie reviews: Isn't caring about stuff the worst, you guys? And having thoughts and opinions? And like, expressing them? As if it's a reviewer's job to tell people what they thought of the movie they saw, amirite?

you sniff women's hair on the train you creepy retard

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Brasseye posted:

You smelled a girls hair on the bus and got a hard on, then made a blog post about it.

Yeah!

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
is there a FYADcyclopedia or something where I can look up why everybody is terrible, I am always forgetting. Like I thought the hair sniffer was also loosechanj

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
SuperMechaGodzilla feels the front page reviews are bad as well, but only because instead of talking about how the villain of Boxtrolls wears a dress, they should talk about how the boxtrolls are economically disadvantaged.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

no they will not posted:

I think it'd be pretty cool if lyle did a review - something for the authors to consider.

id definitely read lyle reviews

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Pay me 10 Dollars a week to watch Takeshi Kitano movies in a bathrobe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pay me 5 dollars a week to watch Seijun Suzuki movies in the nude instead.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Me and Yikes Stay Gooned will accept 5 dollars each to watch Yakuza movies while nude and in video chat with each other over skype and then write a review about the film as well as our homoerotic experience and how it shaped our perception of the movie

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
While I'm into Current Releases, I'm more interested in the culture around it and the reviewers' personalities, are there any good Twitters I should be following to keep up?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

duncan should write the minority reports for each review

trying to jack off fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 3, 2014

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

tehloki posted:

is there a FYADcyclopedia or something where I can look up why everybody is terrible, I am always forgetting. Like I thought the hair sniffer was also loosechanj

There can be more than one hair sniffing blogger mod

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

tehloki posted:

it was you, bitch

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

if they replaced the "minority report" bits with anything written by lyle, regardless of applicability to the subject, it would be good

Yeah.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
MINORITY REPORT: Ah yes, rich white people finding enlightenment via traveling the world. According to Leap Year, Letters to Juliet, and several other films, they all find love the same way. Good thing that sort of globetrotting isn't at all nauseating and boring to watch for two hours. -Ashley "TwistedLadder" Herald

There is nothing more terrifying to the heterosexual male human than the female humans he purports to want to have sex with. You put your penis in a vagina and you may as well be investigating an alien hell planet. What even goes on in there? If only there was some way we could find out? Someone we could ask maybe? -Ian "Professor Clumsy" Maddison

instead of forcibily removing a bunch of miserable Frozen Moslems of Yeninsei Oblast to build a lovely stadium, or whatever, per IOC regulations, they're making a bunch of friend of the family kike faggots from the Guardian, LA Times, NY Times, Der Spiegel, Le Monde, etc., get harassed by dogs from Stalker the videogame? This is actually trill, heroic, noble, and powerful, much lliek the other 3,000 year history of the Balto-Slavic cultural-lunguistic groups. -Lyle

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

systran posted:

While I'm into Current Releases, I'm more interested in the culture around it and the reviewers' personalities, are there any good Twitters I should be following to keep up?

Not Twitter, but:

Here's a list of all the currently known CD Goon Blogs and Podcasts, (thanks TarsTarkas!)
Turban Decay (CloseFriend)
TarsTarkas.NET (Tars Tarkas)
Pre-Code.com (Sheldrake)
ShotContext (penismightier)
Matthew Clark (echoplex)
Alcohollywood (Hewlett)
The Professor Clumsy Variety Hour (ProfessorClumsy)
A Visual Medium (Vargo)
—automaticcinematic (Jeff Wiiver)
Wag The Movie (BigBudgetSequel)
Club Parnassus (Maxwell Lord)
Martin Teller’s Movie Reviews (FitFortDanga)
Comics Chat (Dickeye)
the film ghost (BOAT SHOWBOAT)
GONE TO STRANGE COUNTRY (timeandtide)
Umney’s Alley (ClydeUmney)
chewable newt (wyoming)
Ryan Swartz (Bugblatter)
Ticket Stub Memoirs (Jay Dub)
Turn Off The Limelight (TrixRabbi)
Movie Musings (Criminal Minded)
matt mcdaniel (Aorist)
Game and Watch Reviews (axleblaze)
How did I get here? I am not good with blogs (Adrianics)
10 Reasons Not To Kill Yourself (Geekboy)
Nerd Kryptonite (Geekboy)
Political Theater (Vargo)
LondonCityNights (Mr. Flunchy)
Secret of the Sailor Madness (unknown but goon guests)

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack

The MSJ posted:

Not Twitter, but:

Here's a list of all the currently known CD Goon Blogs and Podcasts, (thanks TarsTarkas!)
Pre-Code.com (Sheldrake)
Matthew Clark (echoplex)
Alcohollywood (Hewlett)
A Visual Medium (Vargo)
Comics Chat (Dickeye)
chewable newt (wyoming)
Ryan Swartz (Bugblatter)
matt mcdaniel (Aorist)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The essence of the criticism of the criticism that has been ongoing, at least on my part, is that it is bad. It is not good. It is really not very informative. It is not that it is bad to "care".

If you actually legitimately care about film, there is a good chance you do not post about it on this web site, because if you look at the movie forum (or the book forum, etc) you see that largely there's an incredible fixation on really childish products (and they are usually products rather than films) with a corresponding lack of taste. I'm sure it's an idea that's unfamiliar to you, as a grown man who wants to surgically replace his dick and balls with a coin operated motorised Donald Duck ride who is about 3 wispy chin hairs away from being a convicted rapist, but when criticism is coming from a really juvenile place about a less-juvenile subject it can seem very superficial and difficult to respect. Like when they allow kids to do news reports on the actual news.

This is one side of the coin here. Some of the reviewers present as, essentially, children of varying extreme largeness. But even if you read what they have to say about children's movies, it's still incredibly basic analysis of a film seen through a lens of a culture who are obsessed with identity politics in all things.

For example, if you read this week's review of The Boxtrolls, all you will learn is:

- The reviewer liked Coraline and Paranorman, but this film has a worse story
- There are trolls who wear boxes, also there are two characters who have names
- The film is nominally about the trolls who wear boxes, however it focuses on one of them who isn't REALLY a troll, but is actually a boy. This is a "big problem".
- The villain is avaristic and ugly. He pretends to be a woman, this is also a big problem, but we're not told why. Just that tumblr dislikes that and they're right to do so.
- The animation is good, kids will like it.

The only thing gleaned from this review that you won't get from the trailer is a number score and at some point a man wears a dress. It's an 800 word sideways glance at a movie and it really does not do a good job reviewing it outside of conveying the general sentiment that it's sort of not bad. I don't respect this, and I don't much care what this person has to say about other movies especially if they're more complicated than this movie for 6-year-olds.

On top of which the reviews are completely joyless, on a comedy web site. It's not just that it's really out of place, it's poorly executed in its own right. I'm not trying to illegally troll or insult them so please do not electronically beat me up, but I don't think they're cut out for this.

Thank you for reading this wearying post. As a reward, here is a picture of the cast of Duck Tales taking public transport so you can finally blast the biggest load of your life you mewling piece of poo poo idiot

awooh-ooh

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The essence of the criticism of the criticism that has been ongoing, at least on my part, is that it is bad. It is not good. It is really not very informative. It is not that it is bad to "care".

If you actually legitimately care about film, there is a good chance you do not post about it on this web site, because if you look at the movie forum (or the book forum, etc) you see that largely there's an incredible fixation on really childish products (and they are usually products rather than films) with a corresponding lack of taste. I'm sure it's an idea that's unfamiliar to you, as a grown man who wants to surgically replace his dick and balls with a coin operated motorised Donald Duck ride who is about 3 wispy chin hairs away from being a convicted rapist, but when criticism is coming from a really juvenile place about a less-juvenile subject it can seem very superficial and difficult to respect. Like when they allow kids to do news reports on the actual news.

This is one side of the coin here. Some of the reviewers present as, essentially, children of varying extreme largeness. But even if you read what they have to say about children's movies, it's still incredibly basic analysis of a film seen through a lens of a culture who are obsessed with identity politics in all things.

For example, if you read this week's review of The Boxtrolls, all you will learn is:

- The film is nominally about the trolls who wear boxes, however it focuses on one of them who isn't REALLY a troll, but is actually a boy. This is a "big problem".
- The villain is avaristic and ugly. He pretends to be a woman, this is also a big problem, but we're not told why. Just that tumblr dislikes that and they're right to do so.

The only thing gleaned from this review that you won't get from the trailer is a number score and at some point a man wears a dress. It's an 800 word sideways glance at a movie and it really does not do a good job reviewing it outside of conveying the general sentiment that it's sort of not bad. I don't respect this, and I don't much care what this person has to say about other movies especially if they're more complicated than this movie for 6-year-olds.

On top of which the reviews are completely joyless, on a comedy web site. It's not just that it's really out of place, it's poorly executed in its own right. I'm not trying to illegally troll or insult them so please do not electronically beat me up, but I don't think they're cut out for this.

Thank you for reading this wearying post. As a reward, here is a picture of the cast of Duck Tales taking public transport so you can finally blast the biggest load of your life you mewling piece of poo poo idiot

this is a post with good points, and sums up why i hated those reviews. it wasn't JUST that they were so unfunny and nitpicky over gender politics that i first assumed them to be very astute parody reviews... it's also that they say absolutely nothing informative because the writer doesn't know how to be critical outside of gender politics.

there is literally zero point to them.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
drat good discussion. And hot.

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

The MSJ posted:

Not Twitter, but:

Pre-Code.com (Sheldrake)
Matthew Clark (echoplex)
Alcohollywood (Hewlett)
A Visual Medium (Vargo)
Comics Chat (Dickeye)
chewable newt (wyoming)
Ryan Swartz (Bugblatter)
matt mcdaniel (Aorist)

[in Homer Simpson voice, looping indefinitely] That's bad

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lol

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Lumpy the Cook posted:

If the people writing for the front page have decided that writing the most obtuse, unfunny, pseudopolitical poo poo on earth will attract readers and potential members, telling them how much of a bad idea that is isn't 'insulting' them.

It is if you phrase it as an insult rather than an observation, which is basically what everyone on this website will tend to default towards. Although Triticum Guzzler did a decent job.

client
Aug 19, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Not Twitter, but:

Pre-Code.com (Sheldrake)
Matthew Clark (echoplex)
Alcohollywood (Hewlett)
A Visual Medium (Vargo)
Comics Chat (Dickeye)
chewable newt (wyoming)
Ryan Swartz (Bugblatter)
matt mcdaniel (Aorist)

lmao that every single cinema discusso movie man has a blog and none of them have any comments

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's how you know they're right

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

loving lol

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I clicked on the CD chat thread to see if they cared about this debate on the quality of criticism. Here's what i found:

CloseFriend posted:

I've said this before, but my pipe dream is to see Twin Peaks revived in comic book form a la Batman '66 or Buffy or Buckaroo Banzai. Lynch has written comic strips before, and I feel like that format would allow for storytelling that I don't think he could pull off any other way. It doesn't help that several Twin Peaks actors have died, like Jack Nance, Frank Silva, Dan O'Herlihy, and Don S. Davis.

0 comments

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The film is nominally about the trolls who wear boxes, however it focuses on one of them who isn't REALLY a troll, but is actually a boy. This is a "big problem".

this week's review of The Boxtrolls posted:

The Box Trolls take an instant back seat as soon as Eggs' story begins to take off, and it is a huge problem as the Box Trolls are without a doubt the film's most interesting element. They are resourceful creatures who build and tinker, and I found them very entertaining, but they are sidetracked in their own movie. I suppose this wouldn't matter if Eggs was an interesting protagonist, but unlike Coraline or Norman, Eggs is decidedly boring.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The villain is avaristic and ugly. He pretends to be a woman, this is also a big problem, but we're not told why.

this week's review of The Boxtrolls posted:

It's tasteless and serves little purpose but to poke fun at a man in a dress

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Now this belongs to the ages. :golfclap:

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

This doesn't hide the fact that the review is still poo poo.

So does anyone think that this will make the reviewers realize that no one likes these reviews other than their CineD idiots? To be honest, I was afraid that I was the only person who hates their reviews.

rjryan3 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 4, 2014

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

WHo is this supposed "Sarah Connor", why do we spend so much time fixated upon her, and the man from the future who later fucks her? How comes it that The Terminator is sidetracked in his own movie? All this brings me to an issue I've been having with "The Boxtrolls". The title is "The Boxtrolls" yet it primarily follows the story of one of The Boxtrolls. This is hosed up and wrong.

And why does the Terminator itself speak with a thick Austrian accent. Can we not "get over" the capacity of an Austrian man to kill millions? Extremely distasteful.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

rjryan3 posted:

This doesn't hide the fact that the review is still poo poo.

Sure, I thought that was assumed at this point. It's just funny to watch people fawning over such an incompetent takedown of it. Like, take this poo poo:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

WHo is this supposed "Sarah Connor", why do we spend so much time fixated upon her, and the man from the future who later fucks her? How comes it that The Terminator is sidetracked in his own movie? All this brings me to an issue I've been having with "The Boxtrolls". The title is "The Boxtrolls" yet it primarily follows the story of one of The Boxtrolls. This is hosed up and wrong.

The quoted complaint is that the Boxtrolls are sidelined despite being "the film's most interesting element." It's explicitly pointed out that "this wouldn't matter if Eggs was an interesting protagonist." There's plenty to go after in the review that doesn't require you to misread it.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, I thought that was assumed at this point. It's just funny to watch people fawning over such an incompetent takedown of it. Like, take this poo poo:

The quoted complaint is that the Boxtrolls are sidelined despite being "the film's most interesting element." It's explicitly pointed out that "this wouldn't matter if Eggs was an interesting protagonist." There's plenty to go after in the review that doesn't require you to misread it.

No, You're Are.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Minority report: I didn't see a boxed roll the entire time, 0/10.

filthy ditch
Jul 22, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

despite ratatouille literally having the word "rat" in the title, most of the characters onscreen are humans. i find this inherently problematic

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

woozle wuzzle posted:

Minority report: I didn't see a boxed roll the entire time, 0/10.

No, see, you read it wrong. It's the Boxed Trolls. It was supposed to be a movie where you open a box and phrases like "Kill the OP!" and "Maybe you just suck." come out at you, but I didn't see any of that in this film. Such a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Triticum Guzzler posted:

And why does the Terminator itself speak with a thick Austrian accent. Can we not "get over" the capacity of an Austrian man to kill millions? Extremely distasteful.

hahaha

• Locked thread