Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That looks super nice and all but its hard to shake the feeling you could recreate that on the ground for less than $1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Uncle Jam posted:

That looks super nice and all but its hard to shake the feeling you could recreate that on the ground for less than $1000.

Totally agreed, but I think I'd throw miles at it for a one-time experience.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems like you are paying an awful lot to get walls around your seat.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Uncle Jam posted:

The Dom P would probably be the expensive part, although I don't know how much Ferragamo stuff costs, and I've got a good ~local roaster~ for coffee.

Edit: expensive part except for drinking it in the sky while going places, I guess!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The Dom P would probably be the expensive part, although I don't know how much Ferragamo stuff costs, and I've got a good ~local roaster~ for coffee.

Edit: expensive part except for drinking it in the sky while going places, I guess!

Dom P isn't that crazy expensive, especially considering the fee for the seat. I was once behind a guy at the supermarket who bought 60 bottles at one time (that was actually expensive though, and loving crazy) He also lucked out and got the people to set up the double bed, but it looks like the standard stuff is just half that.

Actually now thinking about Delta's lay flats aren't too far off, but the price isn't either these days :smith:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Totally agreed, but I think I'd throw miles at it for a one-time experience.

Yeah, I can see where someone just has a ton of miles. The food at the club looked like the best part honestly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My favorite part of that is the upper class twits on Flyertalk getting mad about the article and stressing how that isn't a big deal because anyone who is worth even being alive would easily get enough credit card points to book that whole cabin whenever they wanted to. And they'd show the proper respect and restraint unlike that uncouth prole.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

My favorite part of that is the upper class twits on Flyertalk getting mad about the article and stressing how that isn't a big deal because anyone who is worth even being alive would easily get enough credit card points to book that whole cabin whenever they wanted to. And they'd show the proper respect and restraint unlike that uncouth prole.

I prefer those people to the "Cathay only gives me ONE thing of sturgeon caviar, this is unconscionable!!!!"

Actually, everyone on FT sucks.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Did that trip report really go "viral"? There were a couple parts that were a little cringe worthy like where he told the guy he was a movie savant but honestly, there are dozens SQ suites and other various first class reports and none of that was a big deal. He rode in SQ C, looks like he had a good time. If you've got the miles or the money, I highly recommend doing a trip in a distinguished int'l carrier's first class to make for a memorable, and comfortable trip. Lufthansa does it up pretty good but make sure you are in the new 1st hard product because the old one is pretty dated and clunky.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I've seen it posted all over and on Facebook.

I think the hook was the photo of him splayed out on the full sized bed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Aristotle Animes posted:

Did that trip report really go "viral"? There were a couple parts that were a little cringe worthy like where he told the guy he was a movie savant but honestly, there are dozens SQ suites and other various first class reports and none of that was a big deal. He rode in SQ C, looks like he had a good time. If you've got the miles or the money, I highly recommend doing a trip in a distinguished int'l carrier's first class to make for a memorable, and comfortable trip. Lufthansa does it up pretty good but make sure you are in the new 1st hard product because the old one is pretty dated and clunky.

You have to remember a lot of people have never flow business domestic one time in their lives.

For most people, getting on an airplane is a 1-2 time a year thing at most. I think its easy to forget when everyone you work with is also traveling all the time.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
How long until we get Ebola screening? Can't wait until they start refusing everyone with a light fever.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

You have to remember a lot of people have never flow business domestic one time in their lives.

For most people, getting on an airplane is a 1-2 time a year thing at most. I think its easy to forget when everyone you work with is also traveling all the time.
Yeah, the way I talk amongst the initiates is disgusting when in mixed company. I become very self-conscious if tempted to engage in conversation within earshot of people for whom that is unobtainable. I confess that I do enjoy the ride and
I do read blogs and trip reports.

YOU'VE NEVER BEEN? OH BUT YOU SIMPLY MUST! IT'S REALLY THE ONLY WAY TO GO.

I love my fabu vacations, but I must look really disgustingly ostentatious to some.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Aristotle Animes posted:

Is anyone finding any problem getting their mqd/pqd north of the qualifying 10c per mile mark to hit their tier spend point? Unless you are constantly commuting on the tourist routes, or you are a straight up mile runner, i don't know how you get below the 10cpm range.

Late reply, but yeah, I actually am due to government contract city pair tickets, which often gives me Y at a very good price, so I hit UA Silver PQS two trips before I hit Silver PQD. Fortunately, I had a few trips to a on a city pair without a contract (DAY-TUL), so I'm about at par on PQS/PQM, but we awarded a contract for that pair for FY15 (which started 1 October), and while that contract did go to to United, I'll be back to a low PQD to PQS ratio.

I think I'll be able to still hit UA Gold this year (though it may take a PQD run) but I really have been spreading my travel around different airlines this year. I earned Hilton Diamond two weeks ago, though, so I'm happy with that.

i did have a question, though. On Tuesday, I had a United ICT-ORD-DAY booking. Due to the fun that ORD has been having, my first segment was delayed for three and a half hours and I wouldn't make my second flight (which was the last ORD-DAY flight of the day), so I called up UA and they rebooked me on a Delta flight through MSP instead. Am I correct in assuming that there's no way to get United PQS/PQD for those two segments? I'll claim them on Delta if i have to (or can, since they still seem to have the UA ticket number of my whole round trip itinerary) but obviously I'd prefer to keep them counting toward status.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 4, 2014

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Write or call mileage plus and ask for original routing credit. Give them the conf number and the original flights. People double dip on rebooked irrops all the time.

Also if you were significantly delayed in arriving at your destination (+3.5hrs) you could try whining at MP in a separate email for some compensation tho, under the circumstances I doubt they would give it to you.

If I may ask, why do you spread across 5 airlines? If you are going the route of a hobo, that's spreading yourself thin with the amount of travel you do. Are you a straight up kayaker?

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 4, 2014

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

For work travel, we award contracts for a large number of city pairs to various airlines. If a routing on that carrier is available, we have to take it. So, for example, when I went to Wichita, United has won the contract for DAY-ICT. If I wanted to take something other than United, I'd have to provide justification, and they're pretty strict on the contract carrier justification.

Sometimes there's no contract carrier and I have a choice, but even then, I'm a lot of times limited since I'm flying out of Dayton and often into equally small or smaller markets. If I want an evening flight home after a meeting, I often only have one option available.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 4, 2014

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Aristotle Animes posted:

Write or call mileage plus and ask for original routing credit. Give them the conf number and the original flights. People double dip on rebooked irrops all the time.

Also if you were significantly delayed in arriving at your destination (+3.5hrs) you could try whining at MP in a separate email for some compensation tho, under the circumstances I doubt they would give it to you.

When Delta hosed up and delayed me 8 hours only to put me on an AA flight home, they refused to give me MQMs/MQDs because the requirement is that you buy a Delta ticket and then fly on a flight operated by Delta (or the regionals in the US). They did give me about 10x more miles when I emailed customer service, but no MQMs. How do people double dip on interrupted flights all the time? Not flying Delta?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Basically, yeah. AA had no problems giving me a free refund on the next days flight and ORC due to their plane breaking immediately after takeoff. Took 2 calls but kinda ruled.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

When Delta hosed up and delayed me 8 hours only to put me on an AA flight home, they refused to give me MQMs/MQDs because the requirement is that you buy a Delta ticket and then fly on a flight operated by Delta (or the regionals in the US). They did give me about 10x more miles when I emailed customer service, but no MQMs. How do people double dip on interrupted flights all the time? Not flying Delta?

Lol, I guess not flying delta. UA does it for me and comps me miles if I'm delayed. I add my ff number to the ticket at the airport (div/aa, medallion).

Thats pretty much a load of bullshit DL won't give you mqm unless you stay on their metal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Hurray, it's October! That time of year where everyone leaves the air blowing full-blast, despite the falling outside temperatures, leaving the cabin a refreshing 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Holy poo poo people need to turn off the blowers. I need gloves.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ynglaur posted:

Hurray, it's October! That time of year where everyone leaves the air blowing full-blast, despite the falling outside temperatures, leaving the cabin a refreshing 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Holy poo poo people need to turn off the blowers. I need gloves.

Whereas I was sweating my balls off on flights to and from CLT this weekend; it was like flying Lufthansa, geez.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mackieman posted:

Whereas I was sweating my balls off on flights to and from CLT this weekend; it was like flying Lufthansa, geez.

Ask me about business travel/frequent travel: yes, the temperature on planes is always wrong

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ynglaur posted:

I disagree, I hate a hot plane and it sucks when you're dressed for cold weather and walk into a plane that has the heat going. In all cases the temp should be set to whoever wants it coldest. If you're cold you can put on a jacket or ask for a blanket. If you're hot you just end sweaty.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I prefer hot to cold except planes. Because there's something super gross about the smell/feeling of a plane full of sweating people.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The best is in ATL in the summer when the CRJ's APU is busted.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I love when you step into the cabin and it's as if you've walked into a stew left behind from the 8-segments-worth of people that have already been on that plane today.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Or your CRJ is number 9 million in line for take off and they can't run the AC without the engines on so you roast in the plane until take off.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I got on a Porter flight once and the stewardesses welcomed us wearing hats and winter jackets.

Like full on puffy winter coats you'd wear outside in Canada in January. In their defence, it was six AM in Canada in January. But goddamn that was a cold loving flight.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really like Porter. They've got a really cozy, kitchy vibe that makes me happy. YOW <-> YYZ is all I've ever flown them, so the charm from ye olde tyme propellers and all that doesn't have time to wear off and it feels like just another puddle-jump. The kind of thing I used to do all the time as a kid growing up in the Midwest.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I like Porter, but I was on a BOS-YTO flight that might have had a load factor of 20%. It didn't look real positive for their long term health. Those Q400s are getting kinda ratty, too.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm about 5k miles short on AA for the year and work travel has slowed to basically nothing. I'm based out of ORD so there's not a ton of great long haul AA deals (I miss you, DFW). Currently these are my options:

1. Do some overkill mileage run to Europe (Found a $583 to Stockholm but it's 16 hours and 2+ stops... yeeeesh)
2. Fly some weird domestic-ish routes? Maybe a triangle to cold rainy places in the beginning of December?
3. Actually book fun travel for a weekend (I'd need multiple domestic routes or one expensive international route.)
4. Buy the goddamn miles

HELP

taco show fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 7, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

taco show posted:

4. Buy the goddamn miles

This is always the worst choice if you're more than about 100 miles short.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Welp, I'll hit the United 1K requirement once I fly AUS-LAX this Saturday, but the miles probably won't post in time for my LAX-NRT on Monday... :negative:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

canoshiz posted:

Welp, I'll hit the United 1K requirement once I fly AUS-LAX this Saturday, but the miles probably won't post in time for my LAX-NRT on Monday... :negative:

What do you need the miles for? If you're on a W fare or higher and there is R space, I can spot you a GPU.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Mackieman posted:

What do you need the miles for? If you're on a W fare or higher and there is R space, I can spot you a GPU.

I'm about 700 miles short of 100k, which will be covered by my flight on Saturday, but I'm not sure how quickly it's updated on UA's end. I guess I don't "need" the miles for anything but it would have boosted my chances at getting a comped upgrade! I don't want to use up your upgrade if you were planning on using it for yourself at some point in the future but I wouldn't be opposed if it's just sitting there about to expire! :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

canoshiz posted:

I'm about 700 miles short of 100k, which will be covered by my flight on Saturday, but I'm not sure how quickly it's updated on UA's end. I guess I don't "need" the miles for anything but it would have boosted my chances at getting a comped upgrade! I don't want to use up your upgrade if you were planning on using it for yourself at some point in the future but I wouldn't be opposed if it's just sitting there about to expire! :)

I've got four of them (used two for Krakow in January) and will earn two more before the year is up so I can spare one. If you've got a W fare and there is R space, send me a PM with your last name and PNR and I'll hook you up. You can pay me back later when you qualify and get your six certs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
FYI, when I signed in to my Hilton account today they had added a CAPTCHA so I checked Flyer talk and apparently there have been multiple people who have had their accounts drained. If you have a Hilton account it is probably worth checking in on it and making sure you weren't comprised.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Side question for IHG people - how does their policy work for award cancellations? I am still waiting on the Hiltons in Munich to open up space for next year's Oktoberfest but I have 94k IHG points so I was thinking of doing a points plus cash award at a Holiday Inn as a backup since they have rooms available. 90k points plus $120 would get me three nights. A rate I am fine with but would like to be able to cancel if Hilton opens up. All my IHG points are from credit cards so I am not familiar with thier policies. Would I be able to cancel with no points or cash lost?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 9, 2014

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Side question for IHG people - how does their policy work for award cancellations? I am still waiting on the Hiltons in Munich to open up space for next year's Oktoberfest but I have 94k IHG points so I was thinking of doing a points plus cash award at a Holiday Inn as a backup since they have rooms available. 75k points plus $120 would get me three nights. A rate I am fine with but would like to be able to cancel if Hilton opens up. All my IHG points are from credit cards so I am not familiar with thier policies. Would I be able to cancel with no points or cash lost?

Most IHG hotels will allow you to cancel reward stays as long as its done a day or two before the check in date. I've never done points + cash, but I've cancelled points stays with no problem and the points are instantly put back into my account.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Thoguh posted:

FYI, when I signed in to my Hilton account today they had added a CAPTCHA so I checked Flyer talk and apparently there have been multiple people who have had their accounts drained. If you have a Hilton account it is probably worth checking in on it and making sure you weren't comprised.

Probably because the only account security allowed is a four digit pin (which is infuriating and retarded). Luckily I just checked and my 700k points are safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Update on my blood on the pillow saga. HHonors has given me 15K points as a refund, although that is less than the stay it was pretty decent.