Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't know Araki Hirohiko was writing Winter Soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, Winter Soldier was confusing, but I'm really happy that Daisy Johnson is in it. She's a good match to team-up with Bucky.

Captain America was terrible. Just terrible. Everything was so bad. And yeah, it's really SUPER OBVIOUS that Sharon is bad, especially since she chased off Jet. And everyone was all like "durrr" about her accusations and ugh.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wachter posted:

Lots more namedrops in Winter Soldier, suggesting that Ales Kot really likes electronic music. Besides the aforementioned Merzbow, I also noticed:

- "Syro", the new album by Aphex Twin
- "Drokk", a swear word from Judge Dredd
- Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor
- Rapper Devlin
- German director Werner Herzog
- "Ventolin", a song by Aphex Twin
- "Rossz Czillag Alatt Szuletett", a song by Venetian Snares
- "Ulalume", a poem by Edgar Allan Poe
- "The lost glove is happy", a quote from Nabokov's "Pale Fire" (okay, I had to look this one up)

How many can you spot?
LADY VENTOLIN refers to never seeing something in all the EXAI which is an Autechre album. Also the title "The Transmigration of Bucky Barnes" is a reference to The Transmigration of Timothy Archer, Philip K Dick's novel.

I guess maybe this is an improvement on having characters straight up named for what they're supposed to represent (until we find out that the pig named Reznor starts marching or something) and to Kot's credit, he didn't just like straight up quote entire passages of The Filth or anything.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
I just find it really strange he chose Ventolin as, aside from being an Aphex Twin song, the majority of people would know it as asthma medication. And naming a character after asthma medication is pretty dumb.

Really not sure where I stand on Kot, I like Zero well enough (only read the first trade though) but I though Wild Children and Change were a bit too "try-hard". Kot's constant name-dropping just reeks of "look at me, look at the things I reference, aren't I smart and cultured?". Could get very grating very quickly. I don't know how old he is but he comes across like a sixth-former trying to impress a girl from university. Hopefully he can get it out of his system.

Winter Soldier was... I don't even know. The art, whilst looking pretty, made absolutely gently caress-all effort at actually telling a story. It was like going back in time to those days just after Arkham Asylum came out where every "serious" comic had to have painted art that veered off into abstraction. Looked pretty but was useless as a story-telling tool.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Wachter posted:

- "Drokk", a swear word from Judge Dredd

Drokk is also a side project of Geoff Barrow from Portishead. Yeah, that one also was inspired by the Judge Dredd comics, but lines up with electronic music references.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Considering new Thor was wearing a dress on the Moon, I think that should eliminate Roz. But of course that can be part of the fake out too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

You know what, take out the OH NO MAGNETO YOU ARE LITERALLY NO BETTER THAN THE NAZIS BY KILLING RED SKULL poo poo from Rogue, and I just read an almost decent Uncanny Avengers issue. I think Wanda's inner monologue at least kind of gives her a reason to be reviled by her father's lethal treatment of Red Skull and the S-Men but she seems to at least understand it. She just doesn't like the affect it has on her. But Rogue is just straight up being an uncaring jackass.

I can only conclude that Remender hates Rogue and maybe Scarlet Witch and was forced to include them on UA so he's intentionally writing them horribly. His grasp on Magneto was pretty good and well...this issue is pretty much a Magneto issue so it is better than most of UA so far.

The other complaint I have about the team, that it is way too big, seems to have also been addressed. But it seems like most of the characters I like the most on the team (Cap, Wolverine, Wonder Man, Thor) were written out...leaving me with...well, the characters I've been complaining about.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Drokk is also a side project of Geoff Barrow from Portishead. Yeah, that one also was inspired by the Judge Dredd comics, but lines up with electronic music references.

Is it any good? Portishead is probably my all-time favorite group.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So the Fantastic Four Annual was pretty good. It was a pretty great fight between Doom and Sue, in which Sue was the aggressor. It also hinted at some stuff that is going to go down, and Malice is back. I hope Sue's malice costume does not return. Robinson's FF is good, but nothing special. It just seems to be there, and its the same with all his current books. They are all good but coming off Hickman's run and Fractions FF run, it does not seem noteworthy. I might be the only one reading it, due to being the FF's bitch and not horrible enough to drop.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

So the Fantastic Four Annual was pretty good. It was a pretty great fight between Doom and Sue, in which Sue was the aggressor. It also hinted at some stuff that is going to go down, and Malice is back. I hope Sue's malice costume does not return. Robinson's FF is good, but nothing special. It just seems to be there, and its the same with all his current books. They are all good but coming off Hickman's run and Fractions FF run, it does not seem noteworthy. I might be the only one reading it, due to being the FF's bitch and not horrible enough to drop.

Wait. Why are Doom and Sue fighting? They were pretty civilized to one another not too long ago in New Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait. Why are Doom and Sue fighting? They were pretty civilized to one another not too long ago in New Avengers.

Sue decided that she wanted to take Valeria back home with her, and Valeria refused. Its later revealed that Malice has control of Sue.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume this is all pre-"8 months later"?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

I assume this is all pre-"8 months later"?

Yep. I am pretty sure all books other than Avengers are there.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep. I am pretty sure all books other than Avengers are there.

Yeah, the only books that are 'eight months later' (soon to be seven months, and then six, and so on) are Hickman's Avengers books; they had a timeskip that the other books will, reportedly, catch up to.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Elucidarius posted:

Just read the newest Thor. Am I right in assuming the new Thor is the allmother?

I thought the implication was that the All Mother was cooking up an idea of who could take up the mantel, and Odin and the Thor Friends demonstrated that no Asgardian was worthy to lift the hammer now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, Winter Soldier was confusing, but I'm really happy that Daisy Johnson is in it. She's a good match to team-up with Bucky.

Captain America was terrible. Just terrible. Everything was so bad. And yeah, it's really SUPER OBVIOUS that Sharon is bad, especially since she chased off Jet. And everyone was all like "durrr" about her accusations and ugh.

The Sharon stuff is so obvious I assumed it was a double bluff. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the Vision is the mole.
This is mostly because when Cap came back to life, way way back in the Captain America: Rebirth mini, the Red Skull robot hooked his tendrals into the Vision. I've long assumed that he downloaded his personalty into that body and that was how they'd bring him back.

Heck after Sixaxis is finished and they defeat the Red Onslaught, they might reveal the Vision as being the new Red Skull.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Caaaaap... did Remender hammer this one out while taking an "office break"? Though I did laugh pretty hard when Falcon came out and bemoaned the lack of any real suspense in his reveal. I choose to believe the quality of Cap and UA is the reason for the superior quality of Deadly Class and Black Science, though, so... swings and roundabouts.

Everyone seemed to like Mighty Avengers minus the art, though, so maybe I'll just ditch the main cap title in favor of Cap & Mighty Avengers since Land's off it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bobkatt013 posted:

Sue decided that she wanted to take Valeria back home with her, and Valeria refused. Its later revealed that Malice has control of Sue.
It wasn't revealed as much as Doom claimed he sensed someone influencing Sue's attitude and saying it was Malice while he was on the ropes, making Sue pause in doubt.

I feel like it's a fake out because it's super obvious the big puppet master behind the Fall of the Fantasic Four is Puppet Master.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

It wasn't revealed as much as Doom claimed he sensed someone influencing Sue's attitude and saying it was Malice while he was on the ropes, making Sue pause in doubt.

I feel like it's a fake out because it's super obvious the big puppet master behind the Fall of the Fantasic Four is Puppet Master.

Oh I assume that he is behind it, but not the only one. It could also be a thing that since its so obvious that its him that its not. I think Malice is involved as she could have caused the invasion from the first issue, and Ben was not back with Alice at that point pissing off the puppet master.

I also realized that the last page in the annual matches up with a page from issue one. The fact that she is writing a letter about these events make it seem more likely that she is involved somehow.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 2, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Edge & Christian posted:

Such a super obvious plot deserves such a super obvious pay off.

But I think I speak for almost everyone when I say "Nobody gives a poo poo who did it it's boring over explored tripe."

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This FF run is literally every earth-based FF run ever combined. Team breaking up and separated; Ben cut off from everyone and without his powers, Johnny living recklessly, Reed spending too much time in a lab then having to fight someone he wasn't prepared for, Sue being over protective of her children; legal trouble; Baxter building taken away; the god drat puppet master.

And meanwhile Doom just chillin' with his god daughter. I can only hope that shortly after the Puppet Master reveals himself; Doom smacks him aside and reveals it was all HIS plan. Then it will be a true FF story.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
FF should have been canceled after Fraction's run and replaced with a Doom ongoing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that Doom is doing the same things the Phoenix Five did (minus crab whales) as far as giving aid to countries, but he's being smart and doing it all through dummy corporations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Someone please tell me what the gently caress is going on in Marvel? I went to my Comic shop tonight and they've got New X-Factor (WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD MULTIPLE MAN X-FACTOR TEAM THIS IS IMPORTANT), New Avengers, New this, New that, and I have no inkling as to what the CHRIST. What's good in Marvel these days? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY BELOVED X-FACTOR INVESTIGATIONS? Are all Spider-Man books still poo poo? What the Christ is the Spider-verse or whatever?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Himuro posted:

Someone please tell me what the gently caress is going on in Marvel? I went to my Comic shop tonight and they've got New X-Factor (WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD MULTIPLE MAN X-FACTOR TEAM THIS IS IMPORTANT), New Avengers, New this, New that, and I have no inkling as to what the CHRIST. What's good in Marvel these days? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY BELOVED X-FACTOR INVESTIGATIONS? Are all Spider-Man books still poo poo? What the Christ is the Spider-verse or whatever?

Take a couple breaths and calm down. Avengers and New Avengers are great books that are tied together, but basically Reed Richards and Tony Stark are giant gaping assholes that decided genocide was a better solution then telling your friends there is a problem, and the rest of the idiots that agreed with them are paying the price for agreeing to be god damned monsters. Uncanny Avengers and all the other X-Books have nothing to do with any of it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Himuro posted:

X-Factor: Jamie sold the rights to the name to a corporation that wanted to run its own superhero team. He got married and lives on his old farm now. This is all part of a now-complete run; you could probably pick it up in trades.

Amazing Spider-Man: not particularly readable but spin-offs and side books frequently are. New Warriors is good but ends in two issues. Scarlet Spider is 24 issues and was really good.

Good books include Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers (14 issues, rebooting soon, often lousy art), Jason Aaron's Thor (just renumbered yesterday, 25 issues of metal-as-gently caress before that), and Ellis and Shalvey's six issues on Moon Knight.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is it any good? Portishead is probably my all-time favorite group.

I loved it, great John Carpenter-like minimalistic synth stuff.

Himuro posted:

Edge of the Spider-Verse is a cool mini-series about Elseworlds Spider-People, it had two great issues in a row, one about Gwen Stacy as a Spider-Man and another about Spider-Man as a retro Japanese sci-fi hero. There is also going to be an issue by a cool artist Jake Wyatt written by Gerard Way. It all leads into some dumb crossover.

Daredevil, Ms Marvel and She-Hulk are still very good books that you can read and not care about any big universe-wide stuff.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 3, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The "New" prefix comes from an overhaul Marvel is going under with Marvel NOW not being the success they want. An unknown woman is becoming Thor, Falcon is becoming Captain America and Tony Stark is becoming the physical personification of an Iron Man flavored iPad I guess.

Spider-verse is an event Marvel is running with their Spider-man line where they plan to include every character to ever call themselves Spider-man/woman/girl/boy ever in the event. It will undoubtedly miss some random minor joe. Edge of the Spider-verse is the 'prequel' of the event, with a bunch of one-shots of old and new Spider characters who may or may not get their own solos in the future depending on popularity, and the actual event begins with Amazing Spider-man #9.

As for what's good, I recommend Storm by Greg Pak. Art's nice and the series is a string of one and done stories that build up on each other without dragging the same story on for half a dozen issues.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
X-Factor Investigations is over? :negative: That was totally my favorite X-book. Is the new one good? It looked really bad to me while I was at the shop.

I guess Deadpool is good too, right? But isn't there a New Deadpool?

I guess in the Marvel verse these are worth grabbing:

- Moon Knight
- Mighty Avengers
- New Avengers
- Deadpool
- Daredevil
- Thor (they were sold out :()

Jesus all the Avengers books.

I picked up Ms Marvel tonight. Good grab?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Ms. Marvel is good as a teen hero story, one of the few Marvel has going on (and will have seeing as they're cancelling one and there are rumors two more will be canned eventually) and it's picked up in terms of pace since the obligatory origin story ended.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Himuro posted:

X-Factor Investigations is over? :negative: That was totally my favorite X-book. Is the new one good? It looked really bad to me while I was at the shop.

- Moon Knight
- Mighty Avengers
- New Avengers
- Deadpool
- Daredevil

Yes except for Moon Knight, only the first six issues of the new run (by Warren Ellis) are fantastic, afterwards it's a new writer.

I also recommend Rocket Raccoon, All-New Ghost Rider (about a young adult in LA that gets sick spirit powers that aren't related to the Ghost Rider you think of, very heart warming and kickass), She-Hulk and Nova.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Re: new Thor;

Are Hippolyta and Annabelle Riggs on the candidate list?

I just want more Fearless Defenders :(

I will probably now be told Fearless Defenders was poo poo, but I liked it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're getting into New Avengers, you're basically getting into an arc that ties together with Avengers and Infinity.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Himuro posted:

Someone please tell me what the gently caress is going on in Marvel? I went to my Comic shop tonight and they've got New X-Factor (WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD MULTIPLE MAN X-FACTOR TEAM THIS IS IMPORTANT), WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY BELOVED X-FACTOR INVESTIGATIONS?

Jamie and Layla are married and living on a farm somewhere. (no word on whether Jamie really is a 'killcrop'.) Rahne is a Presbyterian minister. Guido is a Lord of Hell. Monet is with the X-Men. Not sure where Rictor or Darwin are, although Darwin was playing a round of hide-the-salami with Monet on the last issue. Longshot and Shatterstar are on Mojoworld; in addition, it was revealed that, due to time travel shenanigans, the two are each other's father. :dance:

EDIT: oh, and Siryn is a Celtic goddess.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 3, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Himuro posted:

- Moon Knight
- Mighty Avengers
- New Avengers
- Deadpool
- Daredevil

The new X-Factor is by Peter David too and if you liked his other X-Factor stuff you'll like it too. I think it just got cancelled though. Still a few issues left to go though before it's wrapped. And having 20 issues of new X-Factor by Peter David to read is better than none.

You should also check out Black Widow as it's one of my favorites right now. Mostly due to the amazing Phil Noto art. Other solo books not mentioned that are pretty good are Punisher (same writer as Black Widow) and Cylcops (it's young Cylcops time displaced into the present and having space adventures with his dad Corsair).

Oh yeah, and if you're going to read New Avengers you probably need to get Avengers and Infinity too since it's all part of the same larger story.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 3, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

xarph posted:

Re: new Thor;

Are Hippolyta and Annabelle Riggs on the candidate list?

I just want more Fearless Defenders :(

I will probably now be told Fearless Defenders was poo poo, but I liked it.

Definitely not. Aaron said it was somebody from his Thor run and neither of them even cameo'd in God of Thunder.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Deadpool posted:

Cylcops (it's young Cylcops time displaced into the present and having space adventures with his dad Corsair.
I'd say wait on Cyclops because Rucka isn't going to be writing it anymore. The first trade will be his five issue story, but it's getting a new writer with #6.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

lotus circle posted:

I'd say wait on Cyclops because Rucka isn't going to be writing it anymore. The first trade will be his five issue story, but it's getting a new writer with #6.

counterpoint: the new writer is John Layman, who has a track record for writing entertaining, silly as hell poo poo with Chew.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Judging by the post, the guy hasn't been reading any comics for something like 1-2 years. While there are many series that can be picked up right now and be read, some of them are more of a story told in many parts. If you want to get into Avengers/New Avengers, you might as well start at the beginning of Hickman's run.

There's also some references in Avengers/New Avengers to stuff that happened during Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run. The first half of that is already out in a great huge omnibus, and the second half is out next month.

Each comic has a recap page and threads like this or Wikipedia can mostly fill in any gaps you're missing. Several series are either new, recently rebooted, or going to be rebooted really soon. I know Mighty Avengers and Captain America are getting reboots soon. Thor just got a new #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Genetic Toaster posted:

counterpoint: the new writer is John Layman, who has a track record for writing entertaining, silly as hell poo poo with Chew.
Counter-counterpoint: his Detective Comics run which was none of those things.

I don't know if jumping into Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers at this point is the best idea. I'd grab some earlier trades and catch up.

Himuro posted:

- Moon Knight
- Mighty Avengers
- New Avengers
- Deadpool
- Daredevil

There's just the one ongoing Deadpool.

Just grab the Warren Ellis run of Moon Knight which just ended (I'm sure a trade will be out shortly). I don't have much faith in the new Brian Wood version.

Daredevil has been drat Solid ever since Mark Waid took over awhile ago. You really should go back and read his earlier issues because those were fantastic. Knowing Waid, you can probably get into the current issues pretty easily, though.

Jason Aaron's Thor has been very very good since he started (the Godbomb arc is a must-read).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 3, 2014

• Locked thread