Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

NotAnArtist posted:

Why are the comments so angry over something so funny?

Smash Brothers enrages large populations of nerds. I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Because a Nintendo party game with wacky items, floaty characters, a fun atmosphere, and a button-mashing-friendly design is SERIOUS loving BUSINESS that needs to be turned into Street Fighter at all costs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NotAnArtist posted:

Why are the comments so angry over something so funny?

Nintendo games nowadays are known for their pretty high quality QA and extensive testing and when glitches slip through the cracks people take that as their chance to dogpile on Nintendo and call them poo poo and other dumb things. Smash Bros especially because a) the pre-existing community is full of loving idiot babies, and b) because it's a competitive game and thus being bug-free is pretty important.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Because a Nintendo party game with wacky items, floaty characters, a fun atmosphere, and a button-mashing-friendly design is SERIOUS loving BUSINESS that needs to be turned into Street Fighter at all costs

Wish I could emptyquote. I hate "pro" Smash guys (there are no girls, or so few as to be nil anyway). It's a party game, jesus.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Sentient Data posted:

There's a competitive Smash Bros league at my college and holy poo poo the amount of whining about how nintendo needs to make the next Smash Bros designed for SERIOUS BUSINESS competitive play is incredible.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

YellerBill posted:

There's a competitive Smash Bros league at my college and holy poo poo the amount of whining about how nintendo needs to make the next Smash Bros designed for SERIOUS BUSINESS competitive play is incredible.

Take some video of these nerdlings and post it. Bonus points if you ask one to explain in detail what the tactical differences between Fox and Falco are.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DicktheCat posted:

Take some video of these nerdlings and post it. Bonus points if you ask one to explain in detail what the tactical differences between Fox and Falco are.

and watch them explode for mentioning Brawl, for some reason the supercompetitive types hate Brawl with a passion and only consider Melee to be the one and only game to play

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Robindaybird posted:

and watch them explode for mentioning Brawl, for some reason the supercompetitive types hate Brawl with a passion and only consider Melee to be the one and only game to play

Tripping and floaty physics in brawl make melee fans lose their goddamn mind. Before it even came out I had three friends telling me Smash 4 was gonna be awful because of reasons.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EDIT: ^^^Dammit.^^^

Robindaybird posted:

Ooh, I can answer this one. Melee had characters that were generally a bit less floaty, a bit faster, and a bit heavier, iirc. Brawl had a lot of small changes that made most of the characters easier to send flying out of the arena, and it also introduced a(n honestly pretty loving dumb, even from a "casual" standpoint) tripping mechanic pretty much as a big gently caress You to the competitive crowd.

Yes, that's right, every single change of direction your character made had a very slight, like 1-2% chance to make them trip and fall head over heels. It wasn't enough to make a big difference in light play between a couple people, but when you had hardcore "pro" idiots who were still used to Melee trying to do that stupid dash-dance or whatever thing where they constantly move left and right, you'd start seeing them regularly send their character into a stun for a few frames. It enraged the "pro" crowd simply by existing, and it annoyed the "casual" crowd by also being in single player and in the challenge modes, where sometimes you'd have to have literal pixel-perfect timing and movements to get the best times and trophies. It even annoyed me after it caused me to lose some matches with friends, and I honestly couldn't give half a dead rat's poo poo about the competitive scene.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In Smash 4 they've basically added a mode which is called 'For Glory'. It is essentially final destination with no items. They also got rid of tripping, which was basically designed to gently caress up any advance moves (Though it was a poo poo mechanic in general). I mean, that is one hell of a step up for people who are playing it comp.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yeah, Nintendo realized tripping pissed of literally everybody thankfully. What's nice about the 3DS and WiiU is that if balance is hosed and there's some character that's just a god tier way above everyone else they can actually patch it and fix their poo poo this time around.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Haruharuharuko has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Sep 29, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Now I'm feeling nostalgic for NBA Jam.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

YellerBill posted:

There's a competitive Smash Bros league at my college and holy poo poo the amount of...

wasted hours of human lives went into this sentence becoming a reality.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

What game is that?

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
Bridge It Plus.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If you make all bridges single-use, bridge engineers will never go hungry again.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tracula posted:

Yeah, Nintendo realized tripping pissed of literally everybody thankfully.

It did? I wouldn't have noticed it if someone had told me. Even after I learned that tripping was a thing, I kept an eye out for it and never really saw it happen to anyone.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The White Dragon posted:

It did? I wouldn't have noticed it if someone had told me. Even after I learned that tripping was a thing, I kept an eye out for it and never really saw it happen to anyone.

It happens a lot more with Sonic and other really fast characters, because you have to turn around so much. Still never bothered me, though it's certainly unnecessary.

I love how Nintendo clearly had a ton of contempt for the pro Smash Bros. circuit, between Brawl's changes and refusing to let it be played at EVO that one time.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Sep 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

I've still never seen tripping. I think they toned it down in the PAL version or something, that's the only explanation I have :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Literally everybody was hyperbole on my part I admit. But regardless of the whole casual vs pro thing it was just an unnecessary inclusion.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've still never seen tripping. I think they toned it down in the PAL version or something, that's the only explanation I have :v:

Well, to the guy's credit, I've also never played SSBB without either a beer or a blunt in one hand, as god intended.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Well, to the guy's credit, I've also never played SSBB without either a beer or a blunt in one hand, as god intended.

So what you're saying is that YOU added tripping to Smash first.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

boooooooooooooooooooooo

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

No one will ever know. :getin:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Seid ihr das Essen? Nein, wir sind der Jammer!!

To be honest, a Titan Sports league mode would be hilarious for any sports game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like all of these could benefit from a slide whistle.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sark! All my powers are now yours. Take them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Animation/Weapon swap glitch from Hyrule Warriors.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Crossposted from the World of Tanks thread, the devs added a racing mode recently using a special vehicle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The 69 makes it even better

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rorac posted:

Crossposted from the World of Tanks thread, the devs added a racing mode recently using a special vehicle.

Looks like it's working as intended to me.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Rorac posted:

And with this, the only reason to play Blockland just disappeared.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I can't be the only one who thinks that flying tank looks so darn happy as it spins through the air like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rorac posted:

I think I just found a reason to even consider trying World of Tanks.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
NBA 2K15 has a face scan feature that works extremely well:
http://imgur.com/a/ncTU1

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Alpha3KV posted:

Cool, I didn't know they made Hellraiser video games.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Alpha3KV posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/10/7/6933751/the-nba-2k15-face-scanner-xbox-ps4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Speaking of NBA 2k15