Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

xzzy posted:

They also used the engine-powering-an-engine concept on the F-1 engine used to lift the Apollo rockets. :v:

It lugs a turbine that produces 55,000 BHP, which is used to drive pumps for the main engine.

The Bloodhound 1000mph car uses an f1 v8 to power the fuel pump for its rocket engine. The design has balance issues with the duel massive steel spheres up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

They also used the engine-powering-an-engine concept on the F-1 engine used to lift the Apollo rockets. :v:

It lugs a turbine that produces 55,000 BHP, which is used to drive pumps for the main engine.
Bloodhound SSC does that. Cosworth F1 engine to run the fuel pump and act as an APU. They've moved away from Cosworth now, but will probably use something similar.

Edit: Beaten like the Belgrano.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Edward IV posted:

I'm pretty sure he meant no parasitic loss from the supercharger.

However, I do wonder if the elimination of power draw from the supercharger literally outweighs the weight from the additional engine.

Yup that's what I meant.

You can tell how good it worked by how many Top Fuel teams use it today :laugh:

Fattig posted:

Edit; is that even an Hemi? I dont know jack poo poo about old American boat anchors.

Yup, it's a Hemi. You can see the Chrysler FirePower badge on the valve cover, meaning it is anywhere from a 331 to a 392 cubic inch engine (most likely the 392). None of the Chrysler cars were referred to as "Hemi" until the 426, at least officially. Chrysler and Imperial had the "FirePower" engine, from 331 to 392, DeSoto had the "FireDome" ranging from 276 to 345 (fun fact the modern 5.7L Hemi as released was 345ci and 345hp, just like the DeSoto's), and Dodge had the "Red Ram" line ranging from 241 to 325 cubes.

Most early drag cars with a Hemi will be using 331, 354 or 392 cubic inch engines from the Chrysler line, while later racers used Plymouth and Dodge sourced 426's. Plymouth did not have a Hemi until the 426.

e- Another fun fact, it takes around 600hp to turn the Roots blowers on a modern Top Fuel car. When you make ~10,000hp, that's a cost you can pay.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 2, 2014

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The only reason they use roots-type superchargers is because turbochargers were outlawed decades ago.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wallaka posted:

The only reason they use roots-type superchargers is because turbochargers were outlawed decades ago.

Not for the reasons everyone is thinking, though, it was due to spectacular failures with high speed rotating parts, uh, escaping. Yeah, we'll go with escaping. Nowadays turbo tech could probably compete with them and go even faster, unfortunately the NHRA thinks that Top Fuel and Funny Car is quite fast enough, thank you....so they stay banned.

e- also the guy who can build and tune a 426 with twin turbos, no computerized engine controller and mechanical fuel injection is a wizard, pure and simple...possibly a warlock

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

the NHRA thinks that Top Fuel and Funny Car is quite fast enough, thank you.
So what's the point of the sport?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ya got me! A rash of deaths caused them to shorten the course from 1320' to 1000', and the cars are faster than ever. Modern turbo tech would probably have them crossing the traps in the mid-3's @ 350ish mph if it's true that turbos would suit the application better than Roots superchargers, but I'm doubtful they would, anyway. The amount of air a modern Top Fuel 14-71 Jimmy can cram is astounding.

e- :nms: the crash that changed everything :nms:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 2, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

VikingSkull posted:

Ya got me! A rash of deaths caused them to shorten the course from 1320' to 1000', and the cars are faster than ever. Modern turbo tech would probably have them crossing the traps in the mid-3's @ 350ish mph if it's true that turbos would suit the application better than Roots superchargers, but I'm doubtful they would, anyway. The amount of air a modern Top Fuel 14-71 Jimmy can cram is astounding.

That's loving insane. Completely insane. I want to see it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's never gonna happen, it's been "Hemi based/Roots charged" for so long I doubt anyone would make the swap even if they were allowed.

e- it would change literally everything, from clutch setup to tire composition, fuel systems and ignition setups, everything would be different. I dunno if I wanna be in a 10,000hp car that doesn't make power until the boost hits....and there will be lag when they first try it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

So what's the point of the sport?
They do go from 0 to faster than a Veyron in like 4 seconds, so to be fair it already is pretty fast.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone that hasnt seen one light off in person doesnt understand that it's not really them accellerating so much as changing th earth's rotation temporarily. Last time I was them I was a couple hundred feet away and when the green light lit everything went blurry from my eyes vibrating inside my skull

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The drat things generate like 800 pounds of thrust from the exhaust headers. If that alone isn't worth watching, I don't know what is.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Anyone that hasnt seen one light off in person doesnt understand that it's not really them accellerating so much as changing th earth's rotation temporarily. Last time I was them I was a couple hundred feet away and when the green light lit everything went blurry from my eyes vibrating inside my skull

One of my first trips to the Indianapolis Raceway, we were tailgating in a parking lot across the street, and they were still loud as gently caress and we could feel the Earth tremble when they ran. Just incredible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Could have sworn I saw this already today but I can't find it in the last few pages. Here's how much fuel a top fuel dragster consumes, per cylinder, at idle, then at WOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_b6QBPvE8

And a few history channel style facts about em:

quote:

Top Fuel Drag Racing Put Into Perspective:

* One Top Fuel dragster makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of the Daytona 500.

* At full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster consumes 11.5 gallons of Nitromethane per run; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate but produces 25% less energy.

* A stock 426 HEMI does not produce enough horsepower to drive a Top Fuel supercharger

* At full throttle the supercharger is ramming 3000 CFM of air into the cylinders. The mixture is so compressed that the engine is on the verge of hydraulic lock.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The white flames seen above the exhaust stacks is actually Hydrogen, which has been dissociated from water by the heat of combustion.

* At stoichiometric, the nitromethane air/fuel ratio is 1.7:1. Flame front temperature is 7050 degrees.

* The dual magnetos produce 44 amps to each plug. This is enough current to arc weld.

* Spark plugs are totally consumed during a run. In fact, after half way, the engine is dieseling from the compression and the glow of the exhaust valves. After this point, the engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* To accelerate to over 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds the dragster must average 4 Gs. For the dragster to reach 200 MPH by half-track required 8 Gs.

* A Top Fuel engine only turns approximately 540 revolutions from light to light. Including the burnout, the engine must survive only 900 revolutions!

* Redline is quite high at 9500 RPM.

* Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew is working for free, and nothing blows up, each run costs $1000 per second.

Perspective:
So you take your specially tuned $140,000 Lingerfelter “Twin Turbo” Corvette, and start back about a mile or so, accelerating as fast as you can, reaching your top speed of 200 MPH. This is really moving and would be something anyone would be proud of. You’re approaching the starting line where the Top Fuel dragster is sitting – stopped – waiting for you. As you cross the starting line, the light turns green.

Within 3 seconds you are deafened by the incredible whine of the dragster, which has caught up to you. He passes and beats you to the end of the 1320-foot quarter mile.

THAT is acceleration …

I saw a top fuel dragster block for sale at a swap meet a few years ago - it was destroyed. Split entirely in half down the middle and most of one cylinder was shattered with cracks all the way out through the outside of the block and into the valley. Guy wanted a couple hundred bucks for it and drat I wish I was made of money because that would make a hell of a coffee table.

Oh, that flame front temperature they cite? That's 700 degrees hotter than an oxyacetylene cutting torch.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That _is_ the fuel pump. It's a 55,000HP turbine that burns rocket fuel. Its exhaust runs around the rocket cone to cool the cone and protect it from the main rocket exhaust.

Actually, it's the rocket fuel that is circulated around the rocket cone to cool it. :science:

The F-1 engine is loving cool. Here are some photos of the one in Los Angeles.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I went to the Mid-South Nationals at Memphis a few years ago (2007ish?) and I've never experienced sound like that. I've been working at the end of the runway at Tyndall AFB and had an F-22 takeoff and go into a vertical climb at what felt like 6 inches above my head, and that was still nothing compared to top fuel and funny cars launching. It really does make everything go blurry from the sound waves vibrating your entire goddamn body. You don't hear them as much as you feel them take off. It felt like my heart had an arrhythmia or something.

The other thing is the smell in the pits when they switch from warming up on methanol to the nitromethane. I will never forget that smell of the nitro burning my nose and wanting more of it. It was the smell of power and speed.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

bandman posted:

I went to the Mid-South Nationals at Memphis a few years ago (2007ish?) and I've never experienced sound like that. I've been working at the end of the runway at Tyndall AFB and had an F-22 takeoff and go into a vertical climb at what felt like 6 inches above my head, and that was still nothing compared to top fuel and funny cars launching. It really does make everything go blurry from the sound waves vibrating your entire goddamn body. You don't hear them as much as you feel them take off. It felt like my heart had an arrhythmia or something.

The other thing is the smell in the pits when they switch from warming up on methanol to the nitromethane. I will never forget that smell of the nitro burning my nose and wanting more of it. It was the smell of power and speed.

I love this video of a vintage dragster warming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeX9mPoC8j0

The car is started and warmed up on alcohol and switched over to nitromethane at around the 2:10 mark where you can see the demonic possession take place.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_b6QBPvE8
And a few history channel style facts about em:

I'm pretty sure the factoid comparing a top fuel car to a 747 isn't even close to being accurate.

Comparing pounds of thrust to horsepower is kind of an an apples and oranges comparison, but I ran across a paper from NASA that figured a 747 weighing 700,000lbs moving at 530mph would require about 60,000hp to do so (or 15,000hp/engine), which is on the lower end of the numbers I could find online. The most generous estimate I've seen for a top fuel dragster is about 10,000hp, so there's no way a top fuel car is producing more energy than even a single engine on a 747.

All I can figure is that whoever came up with that statement was thinking of the fact that you can burn about 8 times more nitromethane than gasoline with a given quantity of air, but since nitromethane actually has less energy density than gasoline (which has slightly less energy density than jet fuel or diesel), even that comparison doesn't work out.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 3, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is a great video showing a Top Fuel car scaring spectators

the best is the kid at lower right who's terrified clutching his mom until he gets hearing protection on

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 3, 2014

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The past two pages have been magical.

In other news, the new Mustang 4-cylinder hits 12.5 in the quarter mile with basically an exhaust, tune and slicks.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/28/2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-drag-strip-12-seconds-video/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
And those explosions near the end that shake the camera from 30 feet away are just them blipping the throttle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They do go from 0 to faster than a Veyron in like 4 seconds, so to be fair it already is pretty fast.
It's more that I just never thought of it as the kind of sport where a single person involved in it would understand the word "enough".

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I took this last Sunday at Lebanon Valley. Some 60s dragsters going at it. I think they did like high 7s low 8s at near 200mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85TamSpgqPw

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ehnus posted:

The car is started and warmed up on alcohol and switched over to nitromethane at around the 2:10 mark where you can see the demonic possession take place.

I will never ever get tired of this video.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

this is a great video showing a Top Fuel car scaring spectators

the best is the kid at lower right who's terrified clutching his mom until he gets hearing protection on

This is fantastic. I went to the vintage bike swap meet at J&P Cycles last year, and they had a nitro drag bike there that they warmed up and revved for the crowd. Thing thing only had 2 cylinders, and the video I got from my canon 5D2 was completely useless because of the vibrations. It smelled wonderful though.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I will never ever get tired of this video.

Old greybeard feeling the temp of the heads is my favorite part.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

InitialDave posted:

It's more that I just never thought of it as the kind of sport where a single person involved in it would understand the word "enough".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Kalitta

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012

ehnus posted:

I gotta say, never really been into drag racing (never been to one) but your description of what happens at 2:10 is absolutely spot on and I'm loving it! Am now looking at when the next races are in Finland.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Fattig posted:

Edit; is that even an Hemi? I dont know jack poo poo about old American boat anchors.

Its a "Firepower Hemi" an early one.

So yes, its got a hemi. So does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shqg4a-Ols8

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cakefool posted:

The Bloodhound 1000mph car uses an f1 v8 to power the fuel pump for its rocket engine. The design has balance issues with the duel massive steel spheres up front.

No, actually it doesn't. They scrapped plans to use the Cosworth V8 months ago. Speculation is a Judd racing engine now but they still haven't officially announced what engine they're going to use as a fuel pump.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fart Pipe posted:

I took this last Sunday at Lebanon Valley. Some 60s dragsters going at it. I think they did like high 7s low 8s at near 200mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85TamSpgqPw

Goddamn, if I had known that I would've gone! :mad:

also it never ceases to amaze me how many Hudson Valley goons there are

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

drgitlin posted:

No, actually it doesn't. They scrapped plans to use the Cosworth V8 months ago. Speculation is a Judd racing engine now but they still haven't officially announced what engine they're going to use as a fuel pump.

Oh okay, the stand they had at Goodwood still had the cossie V8 and that's what all the air cadets were instructed to tell people about. Still eager to see it run.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I never understand people who go to events like these with no hearing protection. Tinnitus sucks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I never understand people who go to events like these with no hearing protection. Tinnitus sucks.

what?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

VikingSkull posted:

Goddamn, if I had known that I would've gone! :mad:

also it never ceases to amaze me how many Hudson Valley goons there are

There were only a few dragsters. It was mostly old fast street cars but it was super awesome. Being the nostalgia drags I was wondering why there were so many 5.0s and Third gen Camaros/Firebirds but then I remembered that they are 30 years old at this point and Im getting old.

Im in CT, not the valley but it was only an hour drive or so. Ill PM you next time we go. Ozmiander lives in the area too and said the same thing about missing it, haha.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Collateral Damage posted:

this is a pro username/post combo

I've been to the Matco Nationals twice at Englishtown and neither time I wore hearing protection. My first race was big block modifieds, unmuffled with 54 starters, at age 3 months in 1980. No hearing protection, thanks dad!

I still blame my tinnitus on Motorhead

Fart Pipe posted:

There were only a few dragsters. It was mostly old fast street cars but it was super awesome. Being the nostalgia drags I was wondering why there were so many 5.0s and Third gen Camaros/Firebirds but then I remembered that they are 30 years old at this point and Im getting old.

Im in CT, not the valley but it was only an hour drive or so. Ill PM you next time we go. Ozmiander lives in the area too and said the same thing about missing it, haha.

Cool, I'd be down if my schedule permits. I'm down in Orange County about 90 minutes south.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cakefool posted:

Oh okay, the stand they had at Goodwood still had the cossie V8 and that's what all the air cadets were instructed to tell people about. Still eager to see it run.

There's a chap on Pistonheads who works on the team building the car who's been posting a build thread of sorts that is well worth following: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1352985&mid=34101&nmt=Bloodhound+SSC+Thread+As+Requested%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E

I might have posted this before but I chatted with the chief designer a few months ago about the car, he was a fascinating bloke. Could happily have listened to him for hours: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/bloodhound-ssc/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Behold, the Top Fuel Hemi converted to diesel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DRfjH-dVQI

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VikingSkull posted:

I still blame my tinnitus on Motorhead

Stone deaf forever :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008