Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Perdido posted:

One thing I haven't really noticed you talk about is your diet. If you're looking for another way to utilize your time, look at ways you can improve your eating habits. It's probably a seriously minor, almost inconsequential thing in regards to addressing your issues, but it might help with the lethargy you're feeling and get you out of bed.

This is something that I would very much like to focus on. I used to post very regularly in the Weightloss Megathread in YLLS last year and the beginning of this year. I did lose about 23 pounds or so but it was very time consuming logging every single calorie. Then I hit a down cycle and abandoned it completely.

Today I had a banana and a Greek yogurt for breakfast... wait, I had a bagel with cream cheese too... and a large piece of salmon with about a cup of cottage cheese and a Ceasar salad for dinner. Plus a low-cal gatorade after a 5k run/walk (mostly walk... which I broke down crying in the middle of for no reason whatsoever, gotta love the brain issues) and tons of water. I also did Yin Yoga tonight at MMA.

I've just been trying to adjust my diet slightly without recording it. Trying to make healthier choices and such. I need to lose fat for sure and definitely need to put on some muscle. My punches are weak but my kicks are somewhat ok in regards to power. Strength training just seems like such a commitment. I mean, it's not like I don't have the time but I find it very boring and the payoff takes a long time so I don't know what to do about that. I do need SOME sort of workout plan for sure though. Be it weights or calisthenics or cardio.

I mostly eat about once or twice a day. I don't know if I want to commit to the Weightloss Megathread again but I would certainly like to work on my diet and body fat. Of course I want the strength as well. Aarrrgghh. I just don't know what I'll be able to handle mentally right now. I'm possibly going to switch to MMA 5 days a week... or 4 with one day of yoga. I don't know. My psychologist just told me that I need a routine for every day of the week so I'm trying to organize it and it's complicated and stressful for me.

Edit - I also take vitamins along with my medications. I take fish oil, zinc, vitamin D (prescribed), B complex, and SAM-E (hell, who knows, it could help my brain). I also have a multi-gummie that I take when I remember, so every 2 or 3 days. :buddy:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
If you have the time (and you do) lifting heavy weights will actually net really quick results for a beginner.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Do starting strength, it's fantastic. I used to run 3 times a week but now with all the martial arts and lifting I do I haven't been able to run as much. In the future when I'm hardcore I'm going to look into running in the mornings and doing everything else in the evenings.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've just been trying to adjust my diet slightly without recording it. Trying to make healthier choices and such. I need to lose fat for sure and definitely need to put on some muscle. My punches are weak but my kicks are somewhat ok in regards to power. Strength training just seems like such a commitment. I mean, it's not like I don't have the time but I find it very boring and the payoff takes a long time so I don't know what to do about that. I do need SOME sort of workout plan for sure though. Be it weights or calisthenics or cardio.

Weight training will help with that, for sure, but in class it's better to focus on technique, IMO. I get what you say about weight lifting...maybe you just need to find a program or exercises that work for you. Awesome to hear you're posting over in YLLS (or were!), though I don't think you have to keep a log or anything.

My routine is basically Muay Thai/BJJ Mondays/Wednesdays, with the odd class on Fridays when I can make it. I also do some training with my friend whose school I work/train at during the day. Cycling on Tuesdays/Thursdays and then weight training Sunday/Monday and Wed/Thurs. I have a pretty flexible schedule despite working two jobs and my free time is pretty much spent eating.

Actually excited for Friday...my BJJ instructor is doing a free roll that he put together with another school. I haven't done anything in BJJ with people who don't train at my school, so I'm psyched for it. Probably going to get rolled up and tied into knots as I think I'm the only white belt participating, but it should be a solid learning experience!

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I got a new position at work but I found out that I am going to have to move. The town that I am going to have no judo dojos in the area, except for a hour away in the nearby city but I am not going to be driving 8 hours a week to keep doing judo.

There is a decent BJJ dojo in the area under Joe Moreira in the town where he visits bi-annually for seminars and grading. I want to keep doing grapple arts so I am interested in giving it a go. I am only a yellow belt in judo so it's not like I am heavily vested in the sport, but I would like to do it again if the chance provides itself. Is using a judo gi a big issue when you are starting out? I already have 2 1.5 Mizuno gis so I rather not have to pay 200 dollars for another gi at the current moment.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I keep seeing BJJ gis at Judo and Judo gis at BJJ. Some places are probably stricter but around here no one seems to care as long as long as it's clean.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Strength training just seems like such a commitment. I mean, it's not like I don't have the time but I find it very boring and the payoff takes a long time so I don't know what to do about that.

A proper barbell system is easy, quick and gives you almost instant payoff, unlike using the variety of mostly useless machines in the gym.
3 days a week is ideal, but even if you just squat once a week, you will quickly notice the difference.
It does however require instruction/supervision in the beginning.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Judogi in BJJ is always ok and perfectly legal in competition as far as I know. The bigger sleeves and boxier fit will mostly make things easier for your opponent so no one will mind.

BJJ gi in judo is not legal in competition and might get you some strange looks if it's full of patch and purple with red stitching because judogis are much simpler in design (due to rules). Some clubs might accept it, but some other probably won't (especially if it's over the top). The biggest problem is that the very slim fit and slim sleeves make judo techniques harder to do.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
The last time I set foot in a judo club they said I looked like nascar

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Anyone have any advice on hand wraps?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Strength training just seems like such a commitment.

Seriously, you can just go squat, bench and deadlift twice a week (or even once) and you'll notice a difference in a month or two if you also eat your protein. Hell probably if you just drink milk. Sounds improbable for anyone who thinks strength or weight training means doing 15 x 3 reps with 6 different devices or contraptions that target separate muscle x or y 3 or 4 times a week but believe me.

Starting strength Phase 1!¤%#!%

pre:
WEEK 1

MONDAY                 WEDNESDAY              FRIDAY
Squat                  Squat                  Squat
Press                  Bench Press            Press
Deadlift               Deadlift               Deadlift

WEEK 2

MONDAY                 WEDNESDAY              FRIDAY
Squat                  Squat                  Squat
Bench Press            Press                  Bench Press
Deadlift               Deadlift               Deadlift
More info: http://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength
Thread can be found here.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Seriously it's easy, the cost might be the worst if there's no cheap gym in your area. Training twice a week is usually easy to do and it's enough to be effective. Dont believe people who say you have to train 3x or more a week to see any results.

Personally, when I was doing a lot of judo I wasn't able to train more than twice a week anyway because my legs were always so weak and it's annoying to train at 60% of what you can do which s how I felt when I lifted 3-4 times a week.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

Anyone have any advice on hand wraps?

they're good

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KingColliwog posted:

Seriously it's easy, the cost might be the worst if there's no cheap gym in your area.

That! I only started lifting regularly because our club got a weights room members can use for free. And it was so fun that according to my sports calendar, it's easily my single most common entry before boxing and other stuff. The fun for me came out of a bunch of things: 1) something completely new 2) workouts, when you do Starting Strength or 5x5 type of training are short, simple and as intensive as you want 3) it's no trouble adding whatever you want to a workout if you have time and energy to waste (like doing secret Bicep Curls when no one is looking) 4) fun with friendz 5) insane gains for the first I don't know how many months.

Also I took a long summer break, and much to my surprise a few months off the gym had quite little effect on my lifts (of course I did calisthenics, and rode bicycles and went swimming and broke a sweat weekly, but no lifting). Well... my bench suffered and the first time felt like the bar was twice as heavy but it's improving back rapidly. But since I'm not goal oriented, I just do it for fun and to preserve muscle mass since I'm not exactly 21 anymore, who cares.

And yeah if you do martial arts 2 or 3 times a week, then 3 lifting days is probably a bit too much. 2 will suffice. Even 1 is 100% better than nothing.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Judogi in BJJ is always ok and perfectly legal in competition as far as I know. The bigger sleeves and boxier fit will mostly make things easier for your opponent so no one will mind.

BJJ gi in judo is not legal in competition and might get you some strange looks if it's full of patch and purple with red stitching because judogis are much simpler in design (due to rules). Some clubs might accept it, but some other probably won't (especially if it's over the top). The biggest problem is that the very slim fit and slim sleeves make judo techniques harder to do.

The judo gym I am with trains Canadian National medalists, but they aren't too strict about the gi when you start out as a adult. It's usually women who migrate from BJJ to our judo gym in my area due to no black belts teaching full time.

They all seem to have a good base with BJJ for judo, but most quit due to the throwing and the rules in judo. One stopped since we can't do pistol grip in competitions and it was her favorite grip.

origami posted:

The last time I set foot in a judo club they said I looked like nascar

My girlfriend wants to do BJJ because you can get pink and purple gis. Each to their own.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 3, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can anyone dig me up a good how to or got some protips on using the Heavy Bags, for Boxing and Kick Boxing?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KildarX posted:

Can anyone dig me up a good how to or got some protips on using the Heavy Bags, for Boxing and Kick Boxing?

My short post about basic training methods and different bags and what to do with them from earlier here.

Here is a good 6 round heavy bag workout. Here is good Beginner Heavy Bag Workout Concept video. Same dude Jason here on common newbie heavy bag mistakes. Here's another heavy bag routine which will kick your rear end, again from Jason. Hope these help!

No kicks in any of those videos, but, like, you can just replace any punches with a kick :v

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

mewse posted:

they're good

To be honest I was looking for a quick recommendation but after doing ~20 seconds of research I came to the conclusion that its just a piece of cotton. Thanks though.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My girlfriend wants to do BJJ because you can get pink and purple gis. Each to their own.

Gonna swing this by my girlfriend and see what she thinks.

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 3, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

To be honest I was looking for a quick recommendation but after doing ~20 seconds of research I came to the conclusion that its just a piece of cotton. Thanks though.

Get long stretchy ones, like 180 inches

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The Mexican style is also better because thumb loops and maybe wider.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

The Mexican style is also better because thumb loops and maybe wider.

Yeh but one time I asked one of the Ringside guys for a pair of mexican wraps and he kept saying "stretchy" like he thought I was being racist. I'm not racist, I'm Canadian.

Just don't get cotton, stretchy mexican synthetic is way better

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I got Everlast cotton hand wraps, 108 inches

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

mewse posted:

Yeh but one time I asked one of the Ringside guys for a pair of mexican wraps and he kept saying "stretchy" like he thought I was being racist. I'm not racist, I'm Canadian.

Just don't get cotton, stretchy mexican synthetic is way better

I was at a predominately Mexican gym so I thought they just called them Mexican because they're better until I saw it mentioned online.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ligur posted:

And yeah if you do martial arts 2 or 3 times a week, then 3 lifting days is probably a bit too much. 2 will suffice. Even 1 is 100% better than nothing.

I was always under the impression that doing strength training once a week was just wasting your time. I could be completely wrong though.

Now, this might just be me having delusions of grandeur (I might be in a mixed state or a high or something), but I was thinking of switching my schedule up next week to:

M/W/F Advandced Kickboxing @ 5:30-6:30pm and Yoga @ 7:00-8:00pm
T/Th Wrestling (introduced recently) @ 4:30-5:30pm
1 hour break
BJJ @ 6:30-8:00pm or possibly 12:00-1:30pm then wrestling at 4:30pm

Some sort of cardio during the week. I ran twice in the past week and already developed shin splints. Uhg. I had a serious problem with shin splints in the Marines and even fractured my right tibia by running and broke it on the obstacle course. Then I suppose one round of strength training on Sat or Sun at my cheapo $10 a month gym that I haven't been to in a year, but I'm suspecting that it might be too crowded on the weekend. I might try to find a better gym if that's an issue. I was going to introduce Tai Chi (specifically for my mental health suggested by my psychiatrist), but they want $75 for 2 days a week at 11:00am or something like that so I don't really know if it's worth it.

Given, my new mood stabilizer that's supposed to keep me from getting too high isn't at a working dose yet, but I am smart enough to realize that this might not be the best idea. Wrestling and BJJ are ONLY on Tuesdays now since Thiago Viega left for California though, and I've always wanted to try wrestling. That way I have my top game of kickboxing, the transition from top to ground with wrestling, and then the ground game of BJJ. Should make me well rounded.

I still smoke almost a pack a day and I don't have good cardio at all so I don't know if I can endure this type of schedule. I stop smoking on the 15th when I see my GP and she can give me the patch.

Again, I might literally be delusional at the moment but I just made a "Hierarchy of Values" from the smartrecovery.org handbook and #1 and #2 were mental and physical health respectively. MMA ties in with both and I figure that getting more fit, etc. will keep me busy and help my mental health. I'm going to have to think about this a while to see if I am really being crazy or if I can do it.

Also, Ben forgot my orange belt again last night. :smith: He was visibly upset when I brought it up so I know he feels bad but he was very busy last night. I rationalized the situation but it still really bummed me out since this is like the 2nd or 3rd time.

Woah, long post. Sorry for the bullshit :words:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 3, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

I workout 5 days a week, do BJJ 2 times a week (3 hours one day, 1 the other one) and do Starting Strength the other 3 days (~1 hour). The best tips I can give is:

1) Only do ONE workout routine per day, as in if you can either do your MMA class OR do your weightlifting routine for that day.
2) Try having two rest days to let your body recover.
3) I try not to mix cardio with weightlifting, as I am slowly approaching big boys weight territory. Doing cardio on MMA day should be OK. Biking/Walking/Running to the gym is also OK.
4) Sleep a good amount of hours and I would strongly discourage you to go on a diet if you start working out 5 days a week.
5) If you want to add more workout routines then break #1 or #2 but not both. With that said try not to do more then TWO different types of workout routine per day and, you should ALWAYS have at-least ONE full rest day.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I dislike Mexican style stretchy wraps (that's how I was taught to call 'em back in the day). I feel they get too loose during your class sooner or later, I was brought up on non-stretchy ones.

But that stuff is all personal preference IMO. As long as your wrists and hands are protected.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Someone in here is from Canada and knows who Brad Katona is (drewjitsu?)

He made his pro debut last night and won by livershot KO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpvrIOBxrtI

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I base my handwrap buying decisions in the ridiculousness of the colours , my current rotation is purple and neon green and will add bright orange and rainbow.First rule of contact sports is to look baller as gently caress.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You can bling yourself up more by choosing completely different neon coloured wraps for each hand. I know people that do.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
White hand wraps are nice because you can throw them in the washer with everything and not end up with pink socks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lamadrid posted:

I base my handwrap buying decisions in the ridiculousness of the colours , my current rotation is purple and neon green and will add bright orange and rainbow.First rule of contact sports is to look baller as gently caress.

I'm gonna pass this on to my girlfriend, who has been practicing muay thai for a few weeks and owns pastel yellow/pink hand wraps.

There is some decoration in HEMA that mostly revolves around custom colors for fencing jackets and painting fencing masks. Most of it is bad, but sometimes you get someone talented with an airbrush.

Check out an album here.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

General Emergency posted:

White hand wraps are nice because you can throw them in the washer with everything and not end up with pink socks.

Mine used to be white.............

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

quote:

I wasted at least 6 months when i started bjj, the place i started was way to advanced. First lesson was omoplata and gogoplata, to advanced for beginners. I did not know what guard was, passing guard, escapes. I did 2 weeks there then found a place that taught [the basics first].

So, I came across the above quote elsewhere and I wanted ask about it here because I've had much the same experience.

I went to a small BJJ club a few times. I checked out the guy running it, good lineage, legit skills, respected among other BJJ schools I visited etc. Very nice guy, too. But I felt like I didn't get ANY foundational BJJ training at all under him. Basically the class went like this: Bow in, he show's us a submission, we practice it with a partner for a while, he shows us another submission, we practice that for a while, then towards the end of class we roll once or twice.

No one said anything to me about "the guard", what is is, how to get into it, how to pass it. The stuff we were learning was cool, but I just felt like I had a huge lack of knowledge of the basics.

This is why I was kind of thinking of checking out a Gracie Barra school since I heard that many of the schools have a standardized 16 week fundamentals program that drills all of the key foundational bjj stuff into you before letting you move on to more advanced stuff.

So, how did you guys start out? Were fundamentals emphasized early on or was it like hey it's the new guys first day, let's teach him how to do a flying armbar? Are fundamentals important for beginners to focus on learning and retaining in order to get a good foundation or is just jumping in and picking it up as you go fine?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty much pick it up as you go is how I'm learning, but I have a bunch of BJJ blue and above in the no GI class who dont seem to have a problem answering dumb questions that I have when I'm partnered up.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's pretty much how mine goes too. I really wish there was a separate beginners class or something for BJJ like we have for kickboxing that taught the foundations. I got most of that by asking other students or the instructor. I could pay for a few private lessons which I might end up doing just to get a good foundation.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'm in an Alliance gym and we have a compulsory "beginner's class" but I don't remember if we ever covered what a guard is. We're taught basic move and stuff to do get into better positions, basic jits techniques overall. Also quite a bit of "mat aerobics" to get some mobility and jits muscle going.

Then again I was laid out with my leg infection for the very first classes so maybe they did cover the basic terminology during those classes... Would make sense. Still it's probably better to not spend too much time on terminology and stuff since you can just Google that poo poo. Do the stuff you actually can't do alone and expect your students to do their homework.

Also ukemi. A good amount of ukemi.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My old gym had a basics course, it was good. 3 months, two nights a week.

If I recall correctly it covered a technical standup, one sweep and two attacks from closed guard, two attacks and two escapes from mount, two attacks and two escapes from side control, and a couple of positional drills to help you hold a guy down in side control. Maybe some other stuff? At the end of the three months you had to buy a gi, they gave you your first stripe and you got invited to the advanced class.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Our gym also has a beginners course for everything, including BJJ. 2,5 months or so. Then you are welcome to explore all the advanced classes and the hundreds of supportive exercise methods the gym offers.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Lamadrid posted:

Guy who was at a tournament I was at had hot pink head gear and lime green hand wraps. He was like the early 90s personified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I tried to buy a pair of our hot new shiny pink Metal Boxe boxing gloves, but the fuckers only make them at 8 or 10 oz and they won't fit my shovel hands!

:( :( :( :(

• Locked thread