Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He was on Hannity last night saying that he should receive copies of the Presidential Daily Briefings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

drat you, I just came here to post this exciting news about Blanche!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Joementum posted:

He was on Hannity last night saying that he should receive copies of the Presidential Daily Briefings.
Every morning, they should just send him a copy of the one Bush got from August 2001, saying "Bin Laden poised to strike within US". Just every day, send him that, over and over.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

I dunno. Remember, when they heard about him making a sane, reasonable pick for an experienced VP, they hated it and demanded a crazy lady who lived in the snow looking at Russia.

I just figured Palin was a pathetic bid to snag women's votes by being all "hey look we don't hate women, we made one a veep candidate!" in response to the Democrats putting up a black man. It just turned out they didn't do their homework and Palin was a literally insane person that's barely qualified for anything more complex than "carry an object from place to another."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There are bowties spinning across South Carolina.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I just figured Palin was a pathetic bid to snag women's votes by being all "hey look we don't hate women, we made one a veep candidate!" in response to the Democrats putting up a black man. It just turned out they didn't do their homework and Palin was a literally insane person that's barely qualified for anything more complex than "carry an object from place to another."

Even then she'd quit before she reached the end.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

ReindeerF posted:

There are bowties spinning across South Carolina.

Also, coastal weather patterns are being affected by excessive perspiration dabbing and hand-powered fanning.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

I'm correct in thinking he'd have no shot at the primary, right? Because he's got the same sort of undeserved "moderate" cred McCain has, so I'm hopeful he runs and gets spanked and then that's it. But he's from SC, so he's guaranteed to win that primary, so...? I'd really hate to see folks try to put him up as a "Unity 2016" candidate or something.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He's not especially well liked in SC and wouldn't be guaranteed a primary win, though likely he'd be in the top three or so. He only won his primary this year because the wingnuts crowded the field and split the opposition.

It's also an open question how his, ah, personal life would be handled in a GOP primary.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

It's also an open question how his, ah, personal life would be handled in a GOP primary.

Easy, you Dimocraps are the real bigots for assuming an effeminate perpetual bachelor named Lindsey is a gay.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I wouldn't put push polling and insinuation past his primary opponents. There's plenty of precedent for that, particularly in South Carolina.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
The squawking matches between him and Rand Paul will be well worth price of admission!

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Joementum posted:

Only Nixon could go to China.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing about SC is that it comes after IA, NH and NV, (or does it precede Nevada too?,) and if Graham wipes out in those then SC won't back a loser. Iowa and New Hampshire in particular walk to their own beats but SC tends to be a follower. If he can soak up moderate votes in NH or somehow use a divided field to sneak into a top position in Iowa then he'd probably have a pretty good shot at winning his own state.

quote:

By privately coming to them with the same criticism he would have after the fact?
Yes. And then there would be dialogue where the two sides go back and forth and talk about the issue. This sort of thing does happen in government, even more often historically than it does now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If I remember Game Change correctly, McCain's team wanted a woman, and after Condoleezza Rice turned them down it got desperate. There's a scene where McCain tells someone they're going with Palin, and he replies

"Pawlenty? Good choice."
"Not Pawlenty, Palin. Sarah Palin."
"Who?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cliff Racer posted:

The thing about SC is that it comes after IA, NH and NV, (or does it precede Nevada too?,)

The current calendar is:

Jan 18: Iowa caucuses
Jan 26: New Hampshire primary
Feb 2: Colorado and Minnesota caucuses, New York and Utah primaries
Feb 6: Nevada caucuses
Feb 13: South Carolina primary
Feb 16: North Carolina

NY and UT will almost certainly get moved into March to bring them into compliance with the DNC and RNC rules. NC will probably also get moved, but if it doesn't, SC is going to hop earlier, possibly to Feb 6.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I don't think it's any of our business what Lindsey does when he's not guffawing on the plane with McCain or shopping for seersucker suits.

Seriously, the guy has no personal life that's detectable, though his background is, frankly, pretty admirable. It's his politics that I hate.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

I don't think it's any of our business what Lindsey does when he's not guffawing on the plane with McCain or shopping for seersucker suits.

I agree with you. I don't think the GOP primary electorate will.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ReindeerF posted:

Seriously, the guy has no personal life that's detectable, though his background is, frankly, pretty admirable. It's his politics that I hate.

As should be the case for all non-terrible people, but remember who his base is more or less entirely comprised of.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah they were going for a gimmick that looked okay on paper but did literally zero research, an hour's conversation with her would have revealed the simple truth that she's a crazy idiot.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Yeah they were going for a gimmick that looked okay on paper but did literally zero research, an hour's conversation with her would have revealed the simple truth that she's a crazy idiot.

So why Palin and not one of the other handful of powerful Republican women. Not crazy right winger enough?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

PhilippAchtel posted:

So why Palin and not one of the other handful of powerful Republican women. Not crazy right winger enough?

They wanted someone anti-abortion, and all of the female Republican senators at the time were pro-choice.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PhilippAchtel posted:

Not crazy enough to sign onto a Republican ticket immediately after Bush finished dragging their party through the poo poo, during a financial crash caused by Republican policies, and going up against a once-in-a-generation charismatic politician with some serious campaign staff.

It's really hard to overstate the mandate or "political capital" that Obama squandered. He had about as much going for him as FDR did the first time he was elected. The rest of the world literally awarded Obama a Nobel Peace Prize in anticipation of the great things he was gonna do (and also for not being another Republican, i.e. the things he wasn't going to do).

e: And yeah McCain was dead set on a pro-life ticket.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 3, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

This is Republicans we're talking about. They're the party that thinks McCarthyism was a drat fine idea that should never have ended and anybody that seems even the slightest bit gay obviously is and must be thrown under a bus.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

I'm for it. Mrs. McCain for President. You know you want it, there would be cotillions and juleps.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I wouldn't put push polling and insinuation past his primary opponents. There's plenty of precedent for that, particularly in South Carolina.

Well no duh of course. When it's the tribe it doesn't matter. Once an outsider tries to pull the same act they'll turn into the HRC.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Paul MaudDib posted:

And yeah McCain was dead set on a pro-life ticket.
McCain wanted his buddy Joe Lieberman as his VP, only to be vetoed on that by his advisers and party elders because Lieberman was pro-choice and they feared a base revolt. McCain stuck with trying to get Lieberman on the ticket for so long that by the time he finally gave up on that, it was just before the convention and they had to make a choice on short notice (which is why they only spent 15 minutes vetting Palin - they didn't have enough time to do a more thorough background check or conduct more interviews).

McCain really doesn't care that much about abortion.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FMguru posted:

McCain wanted his buddy Joe Lieberman as his VP, only to be vetoed on that by his advisers and party elders because Lieberman was pro-choice and they feared a base revolt. McCain stuck with trying to get Lieberman on the ticket for so long that by the time he finally gave up on that, it was just before the convention and they had to make a choice on short notice (which is why they only spent 15 minutes vetting Palin - they didn't have enough time to do a more thorough background check or conduct more interviews).

McCain really doesn't care that much about abortion.

Why'd he abort his 2008 campaign then?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They're the party that thinks McCarthyism was a drat fine idea that should never have ended and anybody that seems even the slightest bit gay obviously is and must be thrown under a bus.

And also that a guy who expresses the slightest bit of interest or attraction to another guy is irreversibly and completely gay, while a woman who does the same thing is just experimenting and hasn't met the right guy yet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not crazy enough to sign onto a Republican ticket immediately after Bush finished dragging their party through the poo poo, during a financial crash caused by Republican policies, and going up against a once-in-a-generation charismatic politician with some serious campaign staff.

It's really hard to overstate the mandate or "political capital" that Obama squandered. He had about as much going for him as FDR did the first time he was elected. The rest of the world literally awarded Obama a Nobel Peace Prize in anticipation of the great things he was gonna do (and also for not being another Republican, i.e. the things he wasn't going to do).

e: And yeah McCain was dead set on a pro-life ticket.

FDR had a 62% Democratic Senate (with no routine filibuster) and a 72% Democratic House at his inauguration.

At his height, a little over a year later, he had an 81% Democratic Senate and a 77% Democratic House.

Obama had a 57% Democratic (and independent) Senate and a 58% Democratic House at his inauguration.

He didn't really have as much going for him as FDR.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 3, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

And also that a guy who expresses the slightest bit of interest or attraction to another guy is irreversibly and completely gay, while a woman who does the same thing is just experimenting and hasn't met the right guy yet.

Let's also not forget that a promiscuous man is just reaping the benefits of being important/manly/handsome/wealthy/a man while a promiscuous woman is an irredeemable slut that must be punished.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I was being facetious about Graham. Gay bait that fucker all you want, he's certainly voted to cause enough misery for gay people and standing-where-a-drone-strike-hits people and so on. If his slack jawed yokel of an electorate gets up in a dander because he's a dandy the more power to you.

The thing I find fascinating about him is that his personal life, as much as I've ever been able to detect, really is spotless and his background exemplary. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he's one of these completely repressed gay dudes who just lives a life of total celibacy because he has to in that generation. Which is, you know, kinda sad.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

I was being facetious about Graham. Gay bait that fucker all you want, he's certainly voted to cause enough misery for gay people and standing-where-a-drone-strike-hits people and so on. If his slack jawed yokel of an electorate gets up in a dander because he's a dandy the more power to you.

The thing I find fascinating about him is that his personal life, as much as I've ever been able to detect, really is spotless and his background exemplary. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he's one of these completely repressed gay dudes who just lives a life of total celibacy because he has to in that generation. Which is, you know, kinda sad.

Or is possibly keeping his gay a secret. How many times has an anti-gay Republican politician been caught loving a guy in a bathroom somewhere at this point?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
How much would it cost to outfit a campaign bus with a fainting couch anyway?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
/\/\/\ lol

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Or is possibly keeping his gay a secret. How many times has an anti-gay Republican politician been caught loving a guy in a bathroom somewhere at this point?
There's no way you keep it a secret if you're the most famous closeted Republican in the country. There have been multiple attempted outings of the guy from within the gay community and, as far as I know, there's never been a shred of credible evidence. I mean we've heard time after time from prominent professional gay-outers that it's about to happen and then nothing. Either he's a sithlord or he's clean or he's the ultimate super-spy.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

My favorite part is when he bashed Rubio

quote:

In our interview, Graham repeatedly spoke of the challenges that will face the next president because of the mistakes made under Obama. And he suggested that he might just be the one to fix them.

If I get through my general election, if nobody steps up in the presidential mix, if nobodys out there talking​​me and McCain have been talking​​I may just jump in to get to make these arguments, Graham said.

I asked Graham about Rubio. Hasnt he been making many of the arguments youd be likely to make? Graham wasnt impressed. Hes a good guy, but after doing immigration with himwe dont need another young guy not quite ready, said Graham. Hes no Obama by any means, but hes so afraid of the right, and Ive let that go.

It doesn't have anything to do with a potential presidential run but he just pulled out all debates for his senate run. Anyways, no way he runs. There are to many skeletons in his closet (not just being maybe gay). SC politics is some of the dirtiest, infact there is a big probe starting up that will probably take down most of the state gov't.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 3, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Was McCains record on women's rights and equality really that bad pre-2008? It seems like the absolutely crazy misoginystic poo poo has happened in the last 6 years or so, were they really that much of an anti-woman party back then? Granted, just the optics of running two white men after the Dem primary had been a woman and a black man would look bad, but had McCain specifically, and the party at large, done much to make that worse back then?

Kalman posted:

I agree with you. I don't think the GOP primary electorate will.

So all he needs is to get hitched. Is June Lockhart still alive?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually not very often but people love to cling to the few public examples because even progressives still love to say 'hey I don't like you, you human being'.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Was McCains record on women's rights and equality really that bad pre-2008? It seems like the absolutely crazy misoginystic poo poo has happened in the last 6 years or so, were they really that much of an anti-woman party back then? Granted, just the optics of running two white men after the Dem primary had been a woman and a black man would look bad, but had McCain specifically, and the party at large, done much to make that worse back then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Graham should come out publicly in the same speech he gives to run for president so that his historical legacy is firmly secured forever. The GOP has long been on the cusp of a tipping point on acceptance of homosexuality and Lindsey Graham is that tipping point.

• Locked thread