Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

flosofl posted:

VueScan is your friend. It works with a *ton* of scanners and the author is constantly updating it with new scanners.

They have a support model typically found in the Enterpise $30 for free upgrades for a year (usually means around 3 updates) or $79 for lifetime updates. Personally, I have the lifetime update. I like the piece of mind that I can buy whatever scanner I want and knowing it will just loving work.

smackfu posted:

Very powerful but boy that UI is terrible. It's just a big stack of dropdowns.

Basically this, it is really ugly and clunky (seemed a lot slower to scan than Epson Scan to boot). Getting it to select multiple frames (I only really use the scanner for scanning film negatives) is really counterintuitive, you have to work around its stupid mandatory frames that don't even work.

That, and I don't want to pay for a piece of software I didn't need until Mavericks came in and screwed everything up.

I've emailed Epson USA, but I have a feeling they'll try to tell me to talk to Epson Japan, who I assume only speak Japanese...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

xilni posted:

Another vote in favor of LastPass, and while you don't need premium to use it from your phone (you can just log into the lastpass.com site and copy paste your password out) it's worth it.

Now that they've got TouchID support in the mobile app it's entirely worth spending $12 a year for the extra features.

Also there are various specials every once in a while that allow you to get it for even cheaper, the only permanent one that I can think of is the Student discount (6 months free premium).

Not only Touch ID support, but extensions are built into safari as well. The share sheet allows to you authenticate with Touch ID, then insert directly into the username/password field, which means never leaving safari and no copy/paste/type.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

Very powerful but boy that UI is terrible. It's just a big stack of dropdowns.

That's cross platform development for you when it's just one guy. One GUI toolkit to rule them all.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smackfu posted:

How is OS X server? If I just want to use a couple of features for the household (Time Machine and update caching), does it otherwise work the same as normal OS X?

I use it on a Mac Mini for the same sort of stuff - file sharing, caching, and Time Machine backups for 2 laptops. I moved my 4TB external from my AirPort Extreme and it gave me a nice little speed boost for the shared drive (the Airports only have a USB 2.0 port).

It's easy to set up, does what it's supposed to, and you can do some other interesting stuff with it if you want to.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

flosofl posted:

If it's mounted as a volume in OS X, then you should be able to get to it under /Volumes I would think. Unless the mount point has changed. Or Apple in their infinite wisdom hid the mount from us plebes.

Yeah it wasn't there. By creating folders with weird names and grepping through the filesystem i was able to find the folders ... stored in binary database files in ~/Library/Application Support/CloudDocs/session/db/. So no luck on that end. Luckily I was able to do what I wanted via folder actions in Automator instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm having some weird WiFi problems on my rMBP after upgrading to 10.10RC. I don't NOT connect to WiFi, but this morning I had it drop out for no reason while I was working, and then earlier tonight I was on site at a client and tried to tether to my iPhone (8.0 still, not .1 or .2) and it just straight up would not connect. It saw the personal hotspot and all, but I just couldn't connect to it no matter what. Tried resetting the phone, the rMBP, everything.

Really anecdotal but I'm curious to see if anyone else is seeing the same. It doesn't seem to be BROKEN since it works most of the time, just every now and then it hiccups.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xilni posted:

Another vote in favor of LastPass, and while you don't need premium to use it from your phone (you can just log into the lastpass.com site and copy paste your password out) it's worth it.

Now that they've got TouchID support in the mobile app it's entirely worth spending $12 a year for the extra features.

Also there are various specials every once in a while that allow you to get it for even cheaper, the only permanent one that I can think of is the Student discount (6 months free premium).

I'm sticking with 1password but I'm just waiting for them to come up with another excuse to make me pay $15 ($30+ I think for OSX/Windows?) for an up-to-date app to support new hardware features.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had to pay for an upgrade because I haven't owned it for long enough, but they have moved to a freemium model for mobile for what it's worth.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I'm sticking with 1password but I'm just waiting for them to come up with another excuse to make me pay $15 ($30+ I think for OSX/Windows?) for an up-to-date app to support new hardware features.

I love 1password personally, and I think it was nice for the move from 4 to 5 for previous owners of 4 on iOS to get the pro features with the upgrade. I love the integration with OS X and (somewhat) Windows across everything. A nice feature is also the software license vault, keeping all my bank and CC account details at my fingertips. I use that app quite a bit.

However, a lot of those features are not going to be a necessity for me what with the App Store keeping track of software purchases and handling licensing, and Passbook/Apply Pay, even keychain stuff in Safari. All that would be left is a storage for passwords I need for work systems. And honestly another paid update from them will be when I move off their platform and on to something free like Lastpass that works *almost* as well.

That being said, I still think I got every penny's worth of value from what I paid for that software over the years.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got a refurb late 2013 MBPr and it's amazing-- however, I can't log into iTunes. I just get error 5002. I have tried lots of directions that are on various sites and haven't found a solution. I just restored from a Time Machine backup from my old machine. Anyone have a clue on what to try?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

outlier posted:

A slightly exotic question: I wanted an off-site backup for my work Mac and - since we 're using AWS for everything else - backing up to Glacier seemed the way to go. So I used Arq. Works fine, all looks good, it shows the backed up files over the last two weeks - except there's nothing stored in the Glacier section of our AWS account. I re-checked Arq to see I'd set it up right and it wasn't backing up somewhere else. It's says Glacier.

Any experience with Arq? They shut down their user forums a year ago, so there's no real venue for quizzing other users.

Replying to myself, for any future readers:

Communications with Arq support (which was very speedy, thankfully) says that behaviour is correct: Arq stores into an S3 bucket which then pushes it into Glacier storage invisibly behind the scene, which doesn't show on the console. Sounds a bit weird to me, but I'll find out when the AWS bill comes in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the current hotness for Mail apps that will handle Exchange these days?

Mail.app is okay, but in fullscreen mode I can't reference my inbox while writing a new email -- the new mail pane takes focus and won't let me access anything behind that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Does OS X have anything like a windows registry when it comes to installing programs or are Mac apps truly just self-contained, modular packages you can plop in and out of your applications folder at will with no other system maintenance?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 2, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh, just check the user and root Library folders for leftovers if you really want it gone.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreatGreen posted:

Does OS X have anything like a windows registry when it comes to installing programs or are Mac apps truly just self-contained, modular packages you can plop in and out of your applications folder at will with no other system maintenance?

Many apps are like that, but not all.

Some will dump stuff all over the place (CheckPoint VPN client, I'm looking at you) and some programs are nice enough to include an uninstall script somewhere.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

If it asks you for an admin password, it's probably making GBS threads all over.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
As predicted, Epson US punted to Epson Japan, so I re-downloaded Mountain Lion from the App Store, wiped the SSD, and reinstalled 10.8. Scanner works just fine now. May give Mavericks another shot in a few months when I (hopefully) sell the scanner before I move, after finishing this backlog of negs.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

smackfu posted:

If it asks you for an admin password, it's probably making GBS threads all over.

I've generally found AppCleaner's pretty good for getting shut of all traces of apps. It's probably missing stuff that I don't know about it, but for a few things it scrapped plists that I didn't know about (and that had been loving with reinstalls).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

I've generally found AppCleaner's pretty good for getting shut of all traces of apps. It's probably missing stuff that I don't know about it, but for a few things it scrapped plists that I didn't know about (and that had been loving with reinstalls).

It's so good that it'll clear trial time limits.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

GreatGreen posted:

Hazel is pretty good at picking up the crap that apps leave behind.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best image viewer for Mac? I want something that let's me easily browse through lots of photos on Dropbox etc.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

gmq posted:

It's so good that it'll clear trial time limits.

I don't know, I just tried it out and it has the feel of one of "those" applications:

- Hello hello hello all free but please change your default search engine!
- Hello hello hello all free and we've found 2193 issues, but to delete them please buy our FREE applications and enter your registration codes here before you can actually delete these files for FREE!
- After quitting, you can't unmount the "Installer" disk image unless you kill the InstallerS process.

While it may all be good internally, at least based on its outward behavior this is the kind of software that reminds me of some really bad Windows tools and makes me think twice before installing it or any other software that's not from the app store.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Xabi posted:

What's the best image viewer for Mac? I want something that let's me easily browse through lots of photos on Dropbox etc.

How do you define browsing? I've always found Finder + Quicklook for looking through photos (try it by selecting multiple photos before invoking QL) but I've heard good things about Xee and it seems to open tons and tons of image formats.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

flavor posted:

I don't know, I just tried it out and it has the feel of one of "those" applications:

- Hello hello hello all free but please change your default search engine!
- Hello hello hello all free and we've found 2193 issues, but to delete them please buy our FREE applications and enter your registration codes here before you can actually delete these files for FREE!
- After quitting, you can't unmount the "Installer" disk image unless you kill the InstallerS process.

While it may all be good internally, at least based on its outward behavior this is the kind of software that reminds me of some really bad Windows tools and makes me think twice before installing it or any other software that's not from the app store.

Are you referring to Hazel or AppCleaner? Because AppCleaner does none of those things.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I use AppTrap. It's a PrefPane item that monitors the trash and if it detects an app moved there it will ask if you want to trash all the other system files too. Don't need to drag to a special window and works pretty well.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

syndex posted:

Are you referring to Hazel or AppCleaner? Because AppCleaner does none of those things.

Hm. Clicking again on the link posted here led me to the same page again, but this time when I clicked on the download link, different software was downloaded. Very interesting.

e: Checked again and earlier it led to "zip-for-mac". Great.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 2, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

carry on then posted:

How do you define browsing? I've always found Finder + Quicklook for looking through photos (try it by selecting multiple photos before invoking QL) but I've heard good things about Xee and it seems to open tons and tons of image formats.

holy f, I didn't even know that existed, thanks!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flavor posted:

Hm. Clicking again on the link posted here led me to the same page again, but this time when I clicked on the download link, different software was downloaded. Very interesting.

e: Checked again and earlier it led to "zip-for-mac". Great.

Okay, I've never seen that happen. Bizarre.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
That's a good example of how people get MacKeeper and related things installed on their machine.

Edit: by not looking at what they are clicking, I mean.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

1997 posted:

That's a good example of how people get MacKeeper and related things installed on their machine.

Edit: by not looking at what they are clicking, I mean.

I didn't end up going through with the installation, but it's also a good case for the app store and against ad-supported websites. Either the ads contain "Download here" links, or the download sites have huge buttons that lead to undesirable software while the one that leads to the actually desired one is about 9 pixels, and then it's all the victim's fault.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone looking into vector drawing software (or cheap Illustrator replacement/alternative), Affinity Designer is some fancy new app that just came out. Launch sale price of $40 right now, regular will be $50. Doesn't seem to be a demo (yet?) but apparently it was in a public beta for a few months, from what I could find the impressions of that were pretty good at least.

https://affinity.serif.com
http://vimeo.com/106160806

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flavor posted:

I didn't end up going through with the installation, but it's also a good case for the app store and against ad-supported websites. Either the ads contain "Download here" links, or the download sites have huge buttons that lead to undesirable software while the one that leads to the actually desired one is about 9 pixels, and then it's all the victim's fault.

Wait, people browse without ad-blockers? Jesus.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Wait, people browse without ad-blockers? Jesus.

Yeah, if those turn themselves off automatically without any warning when you upgrade to developer releases of the OS and browser. Very intelligent comment from you.

I also like the inevitable victim blaming. "Well a website is just as good as the app store, as long as you use these 500 extra protections and make sure they're never off. You asked for it. Jesus."

No wonder someone came up with the idea of having app stores.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

flavor posted:

Yeah, if those turn themselves off automatically without any warning when you upgrade to developer releases of the OS and browser. Very intelligent comment from you.

I also like the inevitable victim blaming. "Well a website is just as good as the app store, as long as you use these 500 extra protections and make sure they're never off. You asked for it. Jesus."
…which, of course, he didn't say. The only one that even hinted at anything resembling such a claim is you.

He expressed surprise that anyone would surf without ad blockers, which is an entirely reasonable reaction. And as always, it's very good practice to separate your every-day use and production machine from your experimental and development environment.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

outlier posted:

Replying to myself, for any future readers:

Communications with Arq support (which was very speedy, thankfully) says that behaviour is correct: Arq stores into an S3 bucket which then pushes it into Glacier storage invisibly behind the scene, which doesn't show on the console. Sounds a bit weird to me, but I'll find out when the AWS bill comes in.

It works correctly. Arq changed how it stores Glacier files after AWS began allowing migration between S3 and Glacier. You previously had to set up separate buckets for each and it was a pain in the rear end.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

The one thing I really wish LastPass would adopt from 1Password is their API they've release that allows app makers to enable in app password management. One thumb print and pasting isn't bad but it's an annoying extra step or two that could be avoided.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Does anyone know how to find out what's capturing a key for a shortcut by chance across all applications? I have a key bound (specifically, shift-` or ~) that doesn't seem to get reset in the system prefs pane when I've reset all my keyboard shortcuts to defaults on Yosemite in each group one at a time. I remember I tried to set a shortcut somewhere when I was kind of drunk and messing with my setup and it didn't quite work and I forgot it pretty much.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

xilni posted:

The one thing I really wish LastPass would adopt from 1Password is their API they've release that allows app makers to enable in app password management. One thumb print and pasting isn't bad but it's an annoying extra step or two that could be avoided.

Can you explain this a little more? I'm migrating from KeePass to either 1Password or LastPass, and I'm having trouble figuring out which I should go with.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

canyonero posted:

Can you explain this a little more? I'm migrating from KeePass to either 1Password or LastPass, and I'm having trouble figuring out which I should go with.

Apps can add a 1Password button (both twitterific and tweetbot now I guess do this) to their login screens and internal browsers to invoke the 1Password extension and log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

Apps can add a 1Password button (both twitterific and tweetbot now I guess do this) to their login screens and internal browsers to invoke the 1Password extension and log in.

What's nice too is that they did it in a way that allows any password manager to tie into it, so app developers can theoretically provide integration with every password manager app just by implementing 1Password's solution. I don't know if any of the other password managers plan on actually taking advantage of this though.