Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Six MBTs and no Leopard 2 for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krill Nye
Feb 25, 2010

Science rules!

Minenfeld! posted:

Six MBTs and no Leopard 2 for anyone.

I thought that one of the marshals had said that we are getting the Strv 122 after all?

e: after a quick search of the thread I can't find the post I can't find the post I was thinking about. May just be wishful thinking on my part.

Krill Nye fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 30, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Krill Nye posted:

I thought that one of the marshals had said that we are getting the Strv 122 after all?

e: after a quick search of the thread I can't find the post I can't find the post I was thinking about. May just be wishful thinking on my part.

I think someone dropped the hint that Sweden was getting the roughly Leo 2A4 equivalent Strv 121.

Other than that its prob the Strv 103D and... four upgraded Leo 1s for Denmark and Norway? Can't think of what other tanks unless they add something crazy useless like another Centurion or M48 variant.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I remember there being a hint that Sweden would be getting a Leopard 2, but in recent weeks, the tone has changed to "definitely not" again.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Obviously adding a Leopard 3, psyche!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I really don't see how they can't add a Leo 2 and have the game remain somewhat balanced.

They've said time and time again its balanced across coalitions, so why the hell would you have only one with zero heavy tanks?

Sometimes its nice to have something with more than 15 armour to slug it out.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Can I get Finland with insane amount of reservists and trucks?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I bet it's not the S-300. It might be an HQ-9 or something but I imagine it's something totally unexpected (though not as gonzo as the Chimera).

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Vahakyla posted:

Can I get Finland with insane amount of reservists and trucks?

People have been asking for that since the release of ALB and Eugen said no because of budget reasons

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Triple A posted:

People have been asking for that since the release of ALB and Eugen said no because of budget reasons

The bigger problem is that Finland would include a lot of red equipment on the blue side.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Panzeh posted:

The bigger problem is that Finland would include a lot of red equipment on the blue side.

The first campaign event of ALB was "Finland surrenders, new Communist Finnish government in place" so it would likely be on the red side, which would piss a fair number of people off and they just don't need that kind of headache.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tulip posted:

The first campaign event of ALB was "Finland surrenders, new Communist Finnish government in place" so it would likely be on the red side, which would piss a fair number of people off and they just don't need that kind of headache.

Well the other side of it is blue stuff on the red side.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Well the other side of it is blue stuff on the red side.

Doesnt seem as bad honestly. I mean will people really complain about redfor suddenly having m113s? Its not like we'll wind up with finnish super heavy leo2a5s

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean, China got the Croatale, Alouettes, and tanks with western guns. I don't think Finland would be a deal breaker because of some western equipment.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I insist a neutral nation would have been a good idea. Give it crappy European/Russian equipment, and make it play on both sides. You also help matchmaking that way while avoid it being just another NSWP/Bork nation.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Tulip posted:

I think more people would be angrier if Finland didn't get to participate in kicking Sweden's rear end.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Azran posted:

I insist a neutral nation would have been a good idea. Give it crappy European/Russian equipment, and make it play on both sides. You also help matchmaking that way while avoid it being just another NSWP/Bork nation.

This could be awesome if they add Arab-Israelis factions to the game.

Edit: better yet for 10v10 and other less serious games, let people pick whatever nation.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Chiwie posted:

Edit: better yet for 10v10 and other less serious games, let people pick whatever nation.

I can see the main chat discussions now.

it is terrible

it is beautiful

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I'm real curious about those helos, that deck is seriously lacking anything of real value.

Also if they'll flesh out the sisu APC variants, there's apparebtly a Crotale, TOW and 20mm version although I don't know dates.

EDIT: Those might all be Finnish :(

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 1, 2014

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

So, units unveiled in the thread as of this moment are: Gripen and the P93 Scania supply truck. They are teasing some special forces with a pic of Cthulhu, so.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Frogman_Corps ?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
An amphibious infantry unit is long overdue after seeing all those elite troops and marines unable to cross tiny streams.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chiwie posted:

A bunch of factions with eclectic mixes of Western, Soviet, and Chinese equipment. I agree.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chiwie posted:

They wouldn't really fit into the current game, I don't think, but Wargame: 1967 could be pretty sweet. The best ATGM is suddenly the Malyutka. The Israelis get Centurion hulls as APCs.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

They wouldn't really fit into the current game, I don't think, but Wargame: 1967 could be pretty sweet. The best ATGM is suddenly the Malyutka. The Israelis get Centurion hulls as APCs.

Are there any good cold war strategy games from around that time period or earlier? I'd dig on some T-55/Cent or IS-4/M103/Conqueror battles.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Only thing coming to mind is Codename Panzers:Cold War and that's kinda mediocre overall with a goofy as gently caress story. Has the Cold War going hot during the Berlin Blockade.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I was about to say Wargame. I thought this was the Steam thread. :(

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Magni posted:

Only thing coming to mind is Codename Panzers:Cold War and that's kinda mediocre overall with a goofy as gently caress story. Has the Cold War going hot during the Berlin Blockade.

Yeah, I guess I still have to stick to Wargame and World in Conflict. Those two and Men of War are the only RTS series I've actually enjoyed.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, I guess I still have to stick to Wargame and World in Conflict. Those two and Men of War are the only RTS series I've actually enjoyed.

You don't enjoy Company of Heroes? Man...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I played the poo poo out of company of heroes in its original beta but my problem with most base building games is people figure out the strats and it starts to feel super min/maxy. Too much emphasis on build orders and stuff, whereas wargame puts a lot more emphasis on good timing and thinking outside the box.

Well, in hindsight, conquest is a bit more min/maxy and APM then destruction was previously, but it still has a lot of critical thinking involved.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 3, 2014

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

reagan posted:

You don't enjoy Company of Heroes? Man...

I really wanted to, but the game just feels like Warcraft with a WW2 re-skin. I'm mostly bothered by situations where my Shermans can't shoot a StuG across a 20m canal because "It's out of engagement range." That, and I'm just not big on RTSes in general. I like Wargame and the others because I feel like using having good sense about military units, tactics, and equipment gives me an edge.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Just played an awesome 3v3 on Gunboat against Noob1k and some other tryhards. They doubled up on alpha and rushed with heavy tanks, coming *this* close to taking our spawn and/or winning on conquest. Great retake, good game, but extremely frustrating to play.

http://alb-replays.info/rdbeta/php/api.php?download=793

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The unit list for the Scandinavian DLC got leaked, of course: http://pastebin.com/n16SgBAw (Norway, Sweden, Denmark in that order)

It fits with what I remember from the units lists before I quit; the strv 121 wasn't on there at that point though. Eugen proves once again though that they don't follow their own stated rules and just implements what fits with their idea of the game. The deal to lease strv 121's was signed after the deal to buy 122's (2A5's), and the only reason they were for lease was disarmament treaties. Can't give the Swedes a better tank than the Germans though, that doesn't fit the ~vision~!

There's also at least two semi-unicorns, one being the Danish 76mm SPAAG and the other being the Ikv AMOS (twin mortar). The latter was a test rig only; the actual system wasn't ready for service until well into the 2000's. I guess the Lansen and the Swedish flamethrower units also sorta qualify since they were both taken out of service before 1975, but nobody cares much about that.

I'll also bet that they make the command and recon 9040's keep their 40mm guns even though they don't have them in real life, but I'll let that one pass.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 5, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Slamraams!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

EOTS I-HAWK.

Umm. If that thing has I-Hawk range, that's a problem for pact. Like a big serious telephone poles in your planes that you can't counter problem.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

xthetenth posted:

EOTS I-HAWK.

Umm. If that thing has I-Hawk range, that's a problem for pact. Like a big serious telephone poles in your planes that you can't counter problem.

What might be scarier is the SLAMRAAM being a F+F missile that might also be SEAD immune.

Leo 2A4s with super 103s and CV90s covered by 76mm AAA and SLAMRAAMs, could be a real fun deck.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Norway's getting 5-man... Eryx... HE? And super Hueys!

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
Flying is overrated anyway.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RangerPL posted:

Flying is overrated anyway.

Not if you're in a Eurofighter or Rafale. :twisted:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

More S-Tanks. MORE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Strf-9040 Command Vehicle. :allears:

• Locked thread