Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Jack the Lad posted:

The monsters still deal the same amount of damage to the party.

By being off-map you're effectively forcing them to focus fire.

They actually don't. The more they target the high-defense targets, the lower their average DPR drops. If you're a squishy ranger, get the gently caress out of the line of fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Jack the Lad posted:

The monsters still deal the same amount of damage to the party.

By being off-map you're effectively forcing them to focus fire.

Given that 5E has gently caress-all in the way of mechanics for letting front-line fighters protect their teammates without the DM being ~gracious~ enough to just make them hit the fighter, I think that's ok.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Boing posted:

Yeah but when have you ever needed to hit something 600ft away?

Because you can probably do something like use the ability that lets you perceive things through the eyes of another with your familiar to have a sniper/spotter setup, where your rat familiar spots a dude 600 away and you eldritch blast the crap out of him.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is "characters are blind beyond a few hundred feet" seriously still a thing in some groups?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Because you can probably do something like use the ability that lets you perceive things through the eyes of another with your familiar to have a sniper/spotter setup, where your rat familiar spots a dude 600 away and you eldritch blast the crap out of him.

That sounds like it should really help his DPS.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Is "characters are blind beyond a few hundred feet" seriously still a thing in some groups?

Its more, the monsters tend to not want to infinitely chase the thing with the 600 foot range as opposed to the stuff they can reach and attack.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Transient People posted:

They actually don't. The more they target the high-defense targets, the lower their average DPR drops. If you're a squishy ranger, get the gently caress out of the line of fire.

Rangers count as squishy now? D10 hit dice, medium armor, they're really in a pretty decent position. Just a tad above average all things considered.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Warlocks are a little squishier, especially with poor armor choices. I actually tried out the Spellsniper + Eldritch Spear combo, and it didn't do a lot of good. Yes I was initially able to attack from far away without any reasonable retaliation, others could try but at disadvantage. But the problem comes up when terrain features force you to close just so you can actually see your target. Yes I ignore anything short of full cover, but I still have to be able to see my target.

So you get closer so that you can actually see some enemies, then one of them steals an ally's horse, rushes toward you as they try to escape, until they are in longbow range and shoot you with two arrows on their turn. Then they threaten to shoot your dying body again if your allies don't let them escape.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ryuujin posted:

So you get closer so that you can actually see some enemies, then one of them steals an ally's horse, rushes toward you as they try to escape, until they are in longbow range and shoot you with two arrows on their turn. Then they threaten to shoot your dying body again if your allies don't let them escape.

That's a hell of an encounter and a pretty awesome situation. It's so rare to get a good recurring villain.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Sage Genesis posted:

Rangers count as squishy now? D10 hit dice, medium armor, they're really in a pretty decent position. Just a tad above average all things considered.

Talking about 4e here. They are very squishy there.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Transient People posted:

Ah I see. Hmmm, but I've run several 4e campaigns where people played Rangers. They never struck me as squishy. Their defenses and hit points are decidedly average. And they have a couple of nasty interrupts that can make attacks miss. Maybe we handle different definitions of "squishy."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sage Genesis posted:

Ah I see. Hmmm, but I've run several 4e campaigns where people played Rangers. They never struck me as squishy. Their defenses and hit points are decidedly average. And they have a couple of nasty interrupts that can make attacks miss. Maybe we handle different definitions of "squishy."

They're squishy (like most strikers) and a lot of their damage mitigation (especially in bow builds) is "run away/be way outside the center of combat." Strikers generally work by having the defender hold down enemies while the striker has methods to avoid and re-direct attacks entirely.

If the standard ranger is taking as many attacks as the party defender in a fight, you're doing it wrong or something went very wrong. Rangers are "decidedly average" if you discount all defenders and most leaders.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

In other news, I'm seeing lots of reports of PHBs jut falling apart now.

Oh so not just me then, gonna have to contact them and see if I can get a replacement.

In other other news, party is still going strong in the Hoard of the Dragon queen. Though we almost lost our paladin to the challenge from the dragonjerk. Everything was going well, paladin had him on the ropes but then the lightning breath started getting thrown around and the poor pally got pretty singed hardcore.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Transient People posted:

Rangers in 4e have surprising durability if you pick utilities right IME. I'd say they're above striker average for surviveability.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Everything feels squishy after you play a defender :smith:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Yeah, what? Melee rangers can be fairly squishy (low-ish AC, low-ish HP) but ranged... rangers, with their laserlike focus on Dex, hide armor, and some pretty spiffy utilities (Invigorating Stride, just to start off with) are on definitely on the tougher end of strikers. They're not barbarians, but they're better off than melee rangers or avengers. Definitely still squishy, but above average for a striker.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Also, like, a 4e ranger could devote every single utility slot they had to something like "get an interrupt defense bonus" or "shift out of a dangerous position" or "leap out of the way of an explosion" or thereabouts. They were scrappy.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Also, like, a 4e ranger could devote every single utility slot they had to something like "get an interrupt defense bonus" or "shift out of a dangerous position" or "leap out of the way of an explosion" or thereabouts. They were scrappy.
Or my favorite attacks... Interrupt someone with a shot from your bow. Twin Strike was so good, you were better off getting reaction attacks anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Slashrat posted:

Sorry, I was implying you use that combo to send blasts around corners.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We had a sharpshooter who spent most of his time in melee flanking with the Fighter. He got his prime shot all the time, and if poo poo attacked him, the Fighter took care of it. This was paragon tier, so the prime shot feats added up.

I think it's actually a better way of running a bow Ranger.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I saw some complaints about CR and how bad it is earlier but I just read through the Monster's Manual, and I'm not sue what the problem is? There's no math involved. A CR X is always worth Y experience. It seems like a pretty good guideline that you can make a balanced encounter by having the CR of your monsters add up to equal the average level of a four person party. What's so terrible about it? The way people were talking about it, I thought you were going to have to multiply CR by some factor depending on the level differential of the party or something.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

greatn posted:

So I saw some complaints about CR and how bad it is earlier but I just read through the Monster's Manual, and I'm not sue what the problem is? There's no math involved. A CR X is always worth Y experience. It seems like a pretty good guideline that you can make a balanced encounter by having the CR of your monsters add up to equal the average level of a four person party. What's so terrible about it? The way people were talking about it, I thought you were going to have to multiply CR by some factor depending on the level differential of the party or something.

The entire system doesn't work, because there's no attempt at coherent math behind the whole thing, and the designers have so far proven really incompetent at guesstimating how difficult monsters would be to actually fight. There are CR 2 monsters that are straight up more dangerous than CR 8 monsters. Because of the way that bounded accuracy flattens the scale, large groups of low CR monsters can be an order of magnitude more dangerous than a high CR monster of their equivalent experience value. The guidelines lie to the DM, which makes them worse than having no guidelines at all.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

greatn posted:

"DM rules PDF, pages 56-57 posted:

1. Note Encounter Difficulty Thresholds. To start, make a note of the XP values that define the four difficulty categories for your party. For each adventurer in the party, find that character’s level on the Encounter Difficulty XP per Character table and note the XP numbers for each category. Add the result together to define the categories. Make a note of these numbers, because you can use the same numbers for every encounter in your adventure.

2. Add Up Encounter XP. Every creature in the Monster Manual has a challenge rating and an accompanying XP value. Total the XP values of every enemy creature in the encounter to get the encounter’s XP value.

3. Adjust Encounter XP Value Based on the Number of Monsters. Based on the number of monsters in the encounter, multiply the encounter’s XP value by the matching multiplier from the Encounter XP multipliers table. Thus, if you have an encounter with 4 monsters in it, multiply the total XP value of the encounter by 2 for the purposes of determining how difficult the encounter is. This doesn’t change the actual XP award the adventurers receive for overcoming the monsters, just your calculations of how difficult the encounter is.

4. Compare the Encounter XP Value to Party Encounter Difficulties. Compare your encounter’s XP value to the party’s difficulty XP values. This should give you an idea of how difficult the encounter is. From there, you can adjust the monsters in the encounter if you want to make the encounter easier or harder.

So if you understood all that, the following sentence in their example should make sense to you.

quote:

...four bugbears, with an XP value of 200 XP each, you’d end up with a total value of 1,600 XP for the encounter.

Oh, and you have to do it differently if you have fewer than three or more than five characters. Adjust it like this...

DM's rules PDF, page 58 posted:

Larger or Smaller Parties
The preceding guidelines assume that you have a party consisting of three to five adventurers. If you have one or two adventurers, use the XP multiplier for the next-largest number (so, when fighting a single monster, use the × 1.5 XP multiplier of a pair of monsters instead), and use a × 5 multiplier for Hordes. If you have six to eight adventurers, use the XP multiplier for the next-smallest number of monsters (so, when fighting a gang of monsters, use the × 2 XP modifier of a group of monsters instead), and use a × .5 multiplier for a single monster opponent.

No math involved.

Not that it helps, because CR/XP is just an arbitrary number that felt right.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 5, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I haven't looked at the DMG because it isn't out yet and I haven't looked at the beta materials. That does seem pretty arcane though. What's the CR2 you were mentioning flat out more dangerous than a CR8?

Is that "CR is just aribtrary that felt right" statement pure conjecture or corroborated by developer interviews or something?

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 5, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Haha, I forgot about that part.

That's really, really bad.

So, yeah; it's basically broken in every possible way.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

greatn posted:

Is that "CR is just aribtrary that felt right" statement pure conjecture or corroborated by developer interviews or something?

I'll freely accept that it isn't based on gut feeling if someone shows me the formula that takes a monster's numbers (damage, hit points, AC, abilities, etc) and translates those into a CR.

But there isn't one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

greatn posted:

What's the CR2 you were mentioning flat out more dangerous than a CR8?

Sounds like the Intellect Devourer, which takes half damage from all melee attacks and has an Eat Brains instakill attack, which low-Intelligence classes have no defense against.

Does anyone know some of the other CR2 monsters? A big orc with a big axe, maybe?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Really Pants posted:

Does anyone know some of the other CR2 monsters? A big orc with a big axe, maybe?

Ogres, who have the ability to do 2d8+4 damage and that's about it.

Pegasus, which do 2d6+2 damage and can fly.

Plesiosaurus, which do 3d6+4 damage and can hold their breath.

Centaur, which do 1d10+4 (pike) and 2d6+4 (hooves) and can charge and do an extra 3d6 damage if it then hits with the pike.

Like I said, designed by feel.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 5, 2014

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Really Pants posted:

Sounds like the Intellect Devourer, which takes half damage from all melee attacks and has an Eat Brains instakill attack, which low-Intelligence classes have no defense against.

Hobgoblins once per turn can smack somebody for an additional 2d6 as long as the character was within 5 feet of another enemy. So by going off of the stat block they can swing at a character with a +3 to hit for 1d8 (1d10 if using both hands) + 2d6 + 1. This will wreck most level 1 characters in one blow unless the DM rolls all 1's or takes pity. This is CR 1/2. That has a base 18 AC on the stat block. 11 Hit Points.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waiiit. That hobgoblin power sounds great for a defender type class.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just used the math I quoted earlier so you can see how dumb it is.

4 orcs (CR 1/2) are worth 400xp. Because there's 4 of them, I multiply by 2 to get 800xp worth of challenge (but not xp). If my party is 4 level 2 characters, a hard encounter is 4x150 = 600xp and a deadly encounter is 4x200 = 800xp.

4 loving orcs is apparently a deadly encounter (800xp of challenge) for 4 2nd-level PCs, and they get 400xp for it. This is supposedly harder than fighting one owlbear (a hard encounter, 700xp of challenge), for which they'll get 700xp.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 5, 2014

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
The only explanation I can think of for such ludicrous and needlessly overcomplicated encounter building rules is that the developers just don't want anyone to actually use their system to run a game. I was only lukewarm to 5E until the whole CR bullshit reared its ugly head again and now I'm already kind of hating it. I will never even attempt to run 5E unless I feel especially masochistic. It's SO overcomplicated and bullshit that I'm willing to bet hard money that no one will be building encounters properly; Not out of desire to change said rules, but out of ignorance of how the rules actually WORK and being none the wiser about it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AlphaDog posted:

I just used the math I quoted earlier so you can see how dumb it is.

4 orcs (CR 1/2) are worth 400xp. Because there's 4 of them, I multiply by 2 to get 800xp worth of challenge (but not xp). If my party is 4 level 2 characters, a hard encounter is 4x150 = 600xp and a deadly encounter is 4x200 = 800xp.

4 loving orcs is apparently a deadly encounter (800xp of challenge) for 4 2nd-level PCs, and they get 400xp for it. This is supposedly harder than fighting one owlbear (a hard encounter, 700xp of challenge), for which they'll get 700xp.

Well four orcs IS harder, it is more hit points overall and more attacks per round for more average damage per round, and being able to spread them out. If you think of the four orcs as one creature vs the one owlbear as one creature, they are more deadly... probably. But you're saying the PCs actually end up with less XP from that somehow, that is very odd.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

I'll freely accept that it isn't based on gut feeling if someone shows me the formula that takes a monster's numbers (damage, hit points, AC, abilities, etc) and translates those into a CR.

But there isn't one.

Given that their attack bonuses and save DCs are based on their CR this is at least not completely true.

Anyway I am not amazing at math but this guy has been doing an anyalisis on monster stats

http://surfarcher.blogspot.ca/2014/07/d-5e-monsters-master-index.html

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

greatn posted:

Well four orcs IS harder, it is more hit points overall and more attacks per round for more average damage per round, and being able to spread them out. If you think of the four orcs as one creature vs the one owlbear as one creature, they are more deadly... probably. But you're saying the PCs actually end up with less XP from that somehow, that is very odd.

The Owlbear is CR 3 however and unlike the Orcs is more likely to instantly kill a level 2 PC then the Orcs are.

Anyway the Building encounters thing is stated to not be final and I hope it changes a bit more.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agent Boogeyman posted:

The only explanation I can think of for such ludicrous and needlessly overcomplicated encounter building rules is that the developers just don't want anyone to actually use their system to run a game. I was only lukewarm to 5E until the whole CR bullshit reared its ugly head again and now I'm already kind of hating it. I will never even attempt to run 5E unless I feel especially masochistic. It's SO overcomplicated and bullshit that I'm willing to bet hard money that no one will be building encounters properly; Not out of desire to change said rules, but out of ignorance of how the rules actually WORK and being none the wiser about it.

Have you looked at them yourself yet? It's not that complicated if you look at the chart. I hope it changes in the future myself however as it prevents lowerlevel creatures being used with higher level creatures in any decent number.

AlphaDog posted:

Ogres, who have the ability to do 2d8+4 damage and that's about it.

Pegasus, which do 2d6+2 damage and can fly.

Plesiosaurus, which do 3d6+4 damage and can hold their breath.

Centaur, which do 1d10+4 (pike) and 2d6+4 (hooves) and can charge and do an extra 3d6 damage if it then hits with the pike.

Like I said, designed by feel.

You are not taking it the other things about the monsters into consideration. There is more about them then just damage.

Stuff like AC their saves and HP is important as well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

greatn posted:

Four orcs are also very much susceptible to more area attacks and have a harder time focus-firing. Anyway, the point is the "math" is arbitrary (there is no math).

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway the Building encounters thing is stated to not be final and I hope it changes a bit more.
It can't. Not much, anyway.

The Monster Manual is already out. The PHB is already out. All the parts have been released, the only thing "missing" is the instructions for how to mash the two together.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think they factored that more enemies = more actors. Damage is going to be more normalized to average, and there's much more opportunity for enemy "dirty tricks" and force-multiplying buffs, or even tactics (such as they are in ToTM...) And this is all compounded by butter-fingers tanks and controllers who can't control for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

moths posted:

Damage is going to be more normalized to average

Already is. One of the few smart moves in 5E is making average damage default for monsters.