Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm going to revise my opinion of "Wii U games on my monitor" from fabulous to really excellent. The Wii U games look a lot better with me closer to the screen. Regular Wii games also look better with the smaller screen, because the up-scaling made the lack of anti-aliasing in games like Metroid Prime really stand out and look bad on my TV. I was able to stick the sensor bar to the top of the monitor and it works pretty well, but it's pretty clear you weren't meant to use it while so close to it. I could probably find a way to put it on the wall or something behind the monitor and that would work better.

Also props to Nintendo for making all the cables really long, because all of the hardware is actually sitting on a table several feet away from the monitor and everything reaches without any problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

For Wii games you're better off just using Dolphin, if you can run it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

homeless snail posted:

For Wii games you're better off just using Dolphin, if you can run it.

I'm not really a huge fan of emulation. I don't like tinkering with settings and configs and poo poo like that.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Policenaut posted:

Ah, yes. SUDA51, the guy who actually went Hollywood and hasn't made anything good in like half a decade. That's who I'll compare Hideki Kamiya, a man who bats nearly .1000 with his products.

but batting .1000 is really bad

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Really ruined it after they put that man's name on Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead. What a bricks

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Katana Gomai posted:

but batting .1000 is really bad

Yes, I am bad at baseball. Knew that decimal would be the death of me.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Holy poo poo this thing has a lot of controllers.
So like, if I want to buy one of these+ Mariokart, which controller do I buy extra so that 2 people can play local multiplayer? Will I even need extra controllers if I have older Wii-motes?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Brick Shipment posted:

So like, if I want to buy one of these+ Mariokart, which controller do I buy extra so that 2 people can play local multiplayer? Will I even need extra controllers if I have older Wii-motes?

Wiimotes work for Mario Kart if people don't mind tilting it like a wheel. I would recommend getting at least one Pro controller though, they feel really great and are definitely worthwhile.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Brick Shipment posted:

You can use Wiimotes for practically every Wii U game almost possibly.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Yeah I was wondering if the pro controller was worth getting. Seems handy.
Do the classic controllers for the old Wii work with this? I assume they would, since they just plug in though the Wii-mote, but just making sure.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The old classic controller doesn't seem to work with many Wii U games - but its still useful for Wii virtual console stuff.

What you really want to invest in is the nunchuk + wiimote combo. Those are the mainstay for the Wii and WiiU, largely.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Yep, I have the nunchuck, good to know it's worth keeping.
Thanks guys!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo also sells refurb Wiimote+Nunchuck combos for 20 bucks.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

And for that, I am jealous. :australia:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

$25

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You should get a Pro Controller. It's pretty much a ringer for the Xbox 360 controller, which is probably my favorite "normal" controller of all time.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

RyokoTK posted:

You should get a Pro Controller. It's pretty much a ringer for the Xbox 360 controller, which is probably my favorite "normal" controller of all time.

Yeah except they added an internal battery with a vey long life so it's even better than the 360's controller. Pro controller is great.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Is there some reward for getting DK medallions or pressing the attack button in the three tenths of a second the prompt is on screen at the end of a boss fight?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah except they added an internal battery with a vey long life so it's even better than the 360's controller. Pro controller is great.

I just wish I could get it to play nicer with my PC. Especially Dolphin.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

13/f/cali posted:

I 100%ed Returns. I think more than anything my issue was with the enemy designs and not the backgrounds? Definitely not knocking on the game at all, just saying Tropical Freeze feels like a step up.

You're better than be at the game at least, I'm probably never going to 100% it. Enemy variety was non existent yes.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Can you use flash drives for extra storage? I've got a couple of 32GB ones lying around. I don't really want to hook an HDD up to mine since I don't really want this extra HDD just kinda sitting there looking like a tumor or vestigial limb, plus I've heard there's issues. I mostly buy physical copies of Wii U games but do occasionally buy a Wii U game on the eShop if it's on sale.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Has anyone managed to pick up a pro controller for under $50 since early this summer? I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one when Best Buy had that sale.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

Can you use flash drives for extra storage? I've got a couple of 32GB ones lying around. I don't really want to hook an HDD up to mine since I don't really want this extra HDD just kinda sitting there looking like a tumor or vestigial limb, plus I've heard there's issues. I mostly buy physical copies of Wii U games but do occasionally buy a Wii U game on the eShop if it's on sale.

They aren't recommended, but I'm next to positive that people in this thread have used flash drives in the past.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I've been getting away with using a classic controller pro this entire time, I haven't actually had an absolute need (as in, I'll be completely locked out of 2-player on something) to buy a pro controller yet.

I'm waiting for more colors. I want a red one.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

The button layout is a bit weird and takes a little getting used to, but it's no problem after that.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So as someone who really likes Rondo of Blood (both the original and the PSP remake) and considers it one of my favorite Castlevania games, I've actually never played or seen anything concerning Dracula X.

What's the deal with that? What makes it such a bad port, in everyone's opinion?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

So as someone who really likes Rondo of Blood (both the original and the PSP remake) and considers it one of my favorite Castlevania games, I've actually never played or seen anything concerning Dracula X.

What's the deal with that? What makes it such a bad port, in everyone's opinion?

The level design is sub par, you can't play as Maria, there's only like 2 alternate stages and the final battle has a bullshit arena.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

Has anyone managed to pick up a pro controller for under $50 since early this summer? I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one when Best Buy had that sale.

You'll get dinged on shipping, but you can get Japanese Pro Controllers of PlayAsia for $34.99/$37.99 (White/Black). They work just fine with a US Wii U.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

ChaosArgate posted:

The level design is sub par, you can't play as Maria, there's only like 2 alternate stages and the final battle has a bullshit arena.

Still, if you just want to play it this is a much better legal option than buying the cartridge.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Discount Viscount posted:

Still, if you just want to play it this is a much better legal option than buying the cartridge.

It's not a good substitute for Rondo at all though. As its own thing, it's alright (and it has a better version of Bloody Tears), but in comparison to Rondo, it just falls kind of flat.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Has anybody here had any luck getting the WiiU Pro controller working with their computer? Do you know which set of drivers or software to use?

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

everythingWasBees posted:

Has anybody here had any luck getting the WiiU Pro controller working with their computer? Do you know which set of drivers or software to use?

You need an adapter. Check out the Mayflash Wii U adapter on Amazon, I have one and it's excellent.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gaffle posted:

You need an adapter. Check out the Mayflash Wii U adapter on Amazon, I have one and it's excellent.

I thought the Mayflash adapter was just a Bluetooth adapter with some drivers. I could've sworn you can do the same thing with just a Bluetooth adapter, like you were able to with the older controllers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

everythingWasBees posted:

I thought the Mayflash adapter was just a Bluetooth adapter with some drivers. I could've sworn you can do the same thing with just a Bluetooth adapter, like you were able to with the older controllers.

You can but it's a major pain in the rear end. Just get the Mayflash and save yourself the headache.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can but it's a major pain in the rear end. Just get the Mayflash and save yourself the headache.

I've heard this is the case. I started to dork around with the Bluetooth option and immediately got frustrated because lol@Windows Bluetooth capabilities.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

zfleeman posted:

I've heard this is the case. I started to dork around with the Bluetooth option and immediately got frustrated because lol@Windows Bluetooth capabilities.

It is the case. I tried for days to get it to work and tried multiple software solutions and never got it to work properly. I gave up and just used some old Logitech thing I got like ten years ago instead. I think I might buy an adapter, though, because the Pro Controller is super comfy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I managed to get my Pro Controller to work on my Mac with wjoy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just beat the Story Mode in Hyrule Warriors so here are some impressions of the game so far.

It's definitely one of the better Musou games. It's not the best I've played but it's well made and fun, though very few of the things it does to distinguish itself are all that great. I do wish it had more characters. Coming from the other series it does seem kind of lacking in that department. I know I still have a handful to unlock in adventure mode and also a few more weapons, but it's still a pretty small cast for this series. At the very least I would have liked everyone to have at least two weapons. The lock on works well and it's honestly hilarious that it took this long for this series to add lock on. The items are alright but I often forget I have them and rarely need them except when the game forces me to use them. On that topic the bosses are mostly kind of bad. I guess it's slightly better than the pretty much nothing at all the series has had but what they have here is pretty much Zelda bosses reduced down to being even more basic. You use the item you found in the level, you kick their rear end and there's not much they can do about it. It's just not all that interesting. The plot was garbage but I wasn't really expecting much. Musou games aren't really renowned for their plot and it's honestly, Zelda games aren't really amazing in that department overall either. Still, as I said, it's a solid Musou game and it is really nice to play multiplayer without splitscreen. It fun for what it is but it doesn't really surpass my expectations in any way.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I need a bit of help figuring out how to buy stuff on the eShop.

I'm in Europe. Since I bought my 3DS in the UK I set that as my region, then later flew back to Germany for work. I was able to buy stuff online without issues with a German CC card.
Today I bought a Wii U, decided to setup the whole Nintendo ID thing and stuck to the UK region. Now I can't buy anything, either via the eShop or even with PayPal's gift cards.

So what the hell? Is the only solution to remake another Nintendo ID set to Germany? I want to get my musou on :(

e.: If I want to change ID I need to erase the current one, how does that affect the stuff I already had downloaded on my 3DS? :(

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can set up a second profile on your console with the country set to Germany and spend your credit there.

• Locked thread