Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

http://jameshetfieldsoundboard.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Loses points for not having him say "Metallica" in that really weird high pitched way he sometimes does at live shows. Jim Breuer used to have a bit making fun of him for it.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Fenrir posted:

I doubt Enslaved will ever be dethroned, but drat I love those guys.

I never got into this band at all, what are some of your all time favorite songs, the choice nugs, if you will?

Also, how gay am I that I loving love this new song by Job For a Cowboy? I never dug them too much but I heard this song playing on a local college radio station that plays obscure metal music and had to pull over and shazaam it. http://youtu.be/zDo-VEam_JA

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

fruition posted:

Also, how gay am I that I loving love this new song by Job For a Cowboy? I never dug them too much but I heard this song playing on a local college radio station that plays obscure metal music and had to pull over and shazaam it. http://youtu.be/zDo-VEam_JA
I'm a pretty avid hater of JFAC but this is better than anything they've ever done

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I loaded that link, I first read the title as Nun of Shittery.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Found a comment from a dude claiming it sounds more like black metal than tech death.

Right.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
gently caress Job for a Cowboy. This is the REAL "Sun Eater" right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwh6VRpzZ24

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
New Sanctuary album is pretty good. It's basically Nevermore minus Jeff Loomis, which is arguably the best part of Nevermore. I personally have a thing for Warrel Dane's vocals, so I ordered the album.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

fruition posted:

i'm looking forward to the new album but that is some buttugly cover art i mean god drat

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

TeamJesus posted:

One of the members from Acid Witch has a new album out with the band Temple of Void.

More riff-driven chugging death/doom metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wu3XqpWCrQ

Holy poo poo.

This owns so hard.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

fruition posted:

Ok, this is a bit weird. Is it okay for me to admit that I like a JFAC song or does this make me lose like, whatever tiny shred of metal credibility I had left? This actually doesn't suck.

True story - in 2012 I went to summer slaughter in upstate NY and these guys were there. I went outside to smoke and ended up talking to some old dude through all of JFAC's set. We started with talking about how bad JFAC sucks and ended up talking about the changes in black metal over the last decade and how so many of those bands ended up going like, prog (poo poo like Enslaved, Emperor, Moonsorrow, etc) and anyway - I come back in to see my girlfriend asleep with her head on a table near the side wall. JFAC literally bored her to sleep.

That song isn't really amazing or anything but it's good, which is more than I can say for anything else I've ever heard from that band.

e: wait, nevermind about the "metal credibility" thing, for me the best to come out of summer slaughter 2012 was Between The Buried And Me, so yeah, I think my metal card has long since been revoked.

I'm probably one step short of having all my posts moved to the pop thread.

Man, and once upon a time I was all WOOO DARKTHRONE and poo poo. Pretty sure I spent about 5 years doing the whole "loving BLACK METAL" thing but nowadays... eh, I guess poo poo changes when you get older. I still love metal but drat. This past week I've mostly just listened to the RIITIIR album and some old Anthrax.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 4, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Job For a Cowboy get a bad rap for making deathcore more popular but more than anything they're just absurdly generic. They certainly aren't good, but there are much worse bands out there. Hell, they weren't even the worst band on Gigantour when I saw them (that would be In Flames).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Job For a Cowboy get a bad rap for making deathcore more popular but more than anything they're just absurdly generic. They certainly aren't good, but there are much worse bands out there. Hell, they weren't even the worst band on Gigantour when I saw them (that would be In Flames).

That's so disappointing. I remember a time when In Flames was really good. Unfortunately that may have been before a lot of folks here were even old enough to go to a concert.

I never saw them live, so I'm not sure, but I bet they were better in the late 90s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fenrir posted:

Holy poo poo.

This owns so hard.

Unfortunately the rest of the album kind of wanders around aimlessly. There's certainly good stuff in there, but that track is definitely the star of the show.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Fenrir posted:

That's so disappointing. I remember a time when In Flames was really good. Unfortunately that may have been before a lot of folks here were even old enough to go to a concert.

I never saw them live, so I'm not sure, but I bet they were better in the late 90s.

I saw In Flames last year, they played a good mix of old and new stuff, so there were plenty of opportunities for bathroom and bar breaks during the set. It was a long set too, I think they played for about 90 minutes.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately the rest of the album kind of wanders around aimlessly. There's certainly good stuff in there, but that track is definitely the star of the show.

Yeah the rest didn't compare to Examinate Gaze. Can't top the best though. :)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

fruition posted:

I never got into this band at all, what are some of your all time favorite songs, the choice nugs, if you will?

I missed this part, which is weird because I am usually SCREAMING when I get a chance to gush about Enslaved.

As for best songs there are a whole loving lot but I'll try to keep this short.

There are basically 3 eras of Enslaved - the one where they're kinda black metal, the one where they're kinda not, and the one where they threw all that poo poo out the window and turned into a prog band. The 3rd era more or less started with the last album.

Kinda black metal stage:
All-father Odin
Eit auga til Mimir
Ormgard

Kinda not black metal stage:
Ascension
Return to Yggdrassil
The Crossing
THE BEACON THE BEACON THE loving BEACON HOLY loving poo poo CLICK THIS IT IS AMAZING, maybe the best song they've ever done oh my loving GOD the beacon.

Totally a prog band stage:
Roots of the Mountain
Forsaken, the other contestant in "best song in a long loving time, maybe ever" jesus loving christ this is sooooooo good.

I left a whole lot out, like the amazing that is Storre Enn Tid, Tyngre Enn Natt and 793 and holy gently caress I could go on all day but for a small sample platter I think I did the best that can be done. Holy gently caress I didn't put Ruun or Vanir or ANYTHING from Mardraum except the shortest song (Ormgard) and holy loving poo poo ugh I can't list EVERY SONG, but I'd really WANT TO.

I love this band so much please give me excuses to talk about them more. All the time, all day every day, we can totally turn the metal thread into "Fenrir Talks About Enslaved All loving Day"

Best band ever.

7 edits later: Okay okay I'm done now, please resume normal metal thread activities. gently caress, I wish we had an Enslaved thread. Maybe when their next album comes out I'll make an Enslaved 25th anniversary thread. Enslaved: The 25th Anniversary of a Band Most People Have Never Heard Of.

OH MY loving GOD THE BEACON, SERIOUSLY. MY HEAD WON'T STOP MOVING. HEAR THEM CRY, WATCH THEM FLY, LET THEM BOW TO THE ALTARS OF SUPPRESSION 'TILL YOU FEEL THEM DIE.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 4, 2014

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Come on, don't post stuff from Blodhemn. It's a bad album.

To be constructive, here's some of my own Enslaved favorites:

Gylfaginning Sick as gently caress. Hell, sicker than gently caress.

Hordalendingen One day I will rip a man's face off to this song and it will just kinda happen as a matter of course. Owns

For lenge siden A long time ago, I listened to this song and decreed that it's great. It's still great

Større enn tid, tyngre enn natt you mentioned this song but didn't post it. I will post it. Anyone reading along, if you're going to click on one link today, click on <-- that one. Thanks

I'm also contractually obligated to post this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orHMUhdNCvQ

I left out a lot, like my favorite album (Below the Lights), and also anything past 2001. But you can only listen to so many Enslaved infodumps a day. Fenrir, if you make the thread I will post in it

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I like you and I like your username and you posted Storre enn Tid, can we be friends?

But most of what you posted is really old stuff and I was trying to kinda give the vibe of all the different eras of Enslaved instead of just the early "Kinda black metal" era. All of what you posted are songs in old norse, from the early days. I love them, but I still wanted to span the globe, so to speak. I realize I did kinda gently caress up though, I posted pre and post Frost stuff but nothing actually from Frost.

And dear loving christ Storre Enn Tid is so loving good. It's the song that really convinced me that Enslaved is a band I'd love forever. They haven't failed me yet despite the weak Monumension album.

Also, yeah I know Blodhemn wasn't that great either but Eit Auga Til Mimir owns. Seriously I think most of that album can be blamed on Peter Tagtgren from Hypocrisy - he produced it and tried his best to make it sound like a Hypocrisy album. Not a good idea. He was also involved with Mardraum, if I'm remembering correctly, but he took a few steps back when it came to direction. When it's all said and done, Mardraum may end up being the album they're remembered for, if they're remembered. There's really nothing else like it.

and, OH MY loving GOD THE BEACON

Hm, your favorite of their albums is BTL? Good choice. BTL is amazing. I put The Crossing in my bigpost but I left off after that even though I kinda wanted to squeeze in A Darker Place and As Fire Swept Clean The Earth. And Havenless. And Queen of Night. And... yeah see how this can go for loving ever??? Mine at this moment is Axioma but it changes a lot depending on what I'm listening to on any given day. Mostly it's one of Axioma, Ruun, Mardraum or Isa. RIITIIR gets dangerously close at times.

e:20 or something, have you seen them live? Holy poo poo. Oddly enough as much as I don't like Monumension, when they do The Voices live it's so loving awesome.

e:47 or whatever, I don't loving know here's Reflection and it owns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzFt3WjJDu0 and just because, here's loving 793

e:53874834, The Beacon is still goddamn amazing.
e:999999999999 jesus christ I can literally talk about this band all day and there are at least like 30 or 40 more songs we haven't posted and holy loving poo poo.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 5, 2014

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Blodhemn is the most fun thing Enslaved have recorded you gaylords

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
UUUUUAH GOD MAN. I just got back from the Skeletonwitch, Sabaton, and Amon Amarth show. What a goddamn loving set. Sabaton, man. The pit was rowdier than anything I saw at Summerbreeze. Do not loving miss this tour, all 3 bands absolutely loving crushed.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Also for Enslaved chat, the best Enslaved tape of ALL TIME is probably Axioma Ethica Odini, though I actually really enjoyed RIITIIR as well. Forsaken is my favorite track from that tape.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I've tried it repeatedly, but I just can't get into Skeletonwitch. It just seems so bland to me for some reason. When it comes to black/thrash I'd much rather hear stuff like...

Craven Idol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-UUW5cxEI

OR

Bewitched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXc8Fxoi6cg

What is it that I'm missing about Skeletonwitch?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Turk February posted:

I've tried it repeatedly, but I just can't get into Skeletonwitch. It just seems so bland to me for some reason. When it comes to black/thrash I'd much rather hear stuff like...

Craven Idol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-UUW5cxEI

OR

Bewitched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXc8Fxoi6cg

What is it that I'm missing about Skeletonwitch?

You're not really missing anything, they're just really boring black/thrash.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Defiant Sally posted:

UUUUUAH GOD MAN. I just got back from the Skeletonwitch, Sabaton, and Amon Amarth show. What a goddamn loving set. Sabaton, man. The pit was rowdier than anything I saw at Summerbreeze. Do not loving miss this tour, all 3 bands absolutely loving crushed.

12 days and they'll be here, tickets are already stuck to the fridge with a magnet, I can't loving wait.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this vassafor live album is cool: https://psychedeliclotusorder.bandcamp.com/album/death-transmission

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Defiant Sally posted:

Also for Enslaved chat, the best Enslaved tape of ALL TIME is probably Axioma Ethica Odini, though I actually really enjoyed RIITIIR as well. Forsaken is my favorite track from that tape.

satan drat you I wish I wish they were coming by me

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

A human heart posted:

You're not really missing anything, they're just really boring black/thrash.
They're like Municipal Waste in that they're a fun band to see live, but I'd never want to subject myself to their studio work on purpose.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Mardraum is the Enslaved album I've enjoyed the most. It's really chaotic and hyperambitious and all over the place.

Also, the new Galneryus album is out and it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9TjWdhJ81c

I shouldn't expect anything besides awesomeness from this band, but it's always cool to see them change things up - the title track on this album is an 8-minute instrumental with some Celtic influences. Bit out of the blue for them, but they pull it off really well. Also, Judgement Day is pretty much one of their best songs.

Also, speaking of Galneryus, their music video for the single off their first album is... uh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_GDIeAnVDs
it is pretty great. Yama dressed up as an evil overlord on a throne of skulls is hilarious.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 5, 2014

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Also, the new Galneryus album is out and it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9TjWdhJ81c
Sounded like some pretty fun power metal cheese up until the vocals started. It's that same goofy vocal style that so drat many Japanese bands use and I just can't deal with it at all.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Their old vocalist (in the second song I linked) is better IMO. None of their new stuff is quite as ridiculously good as their first 2 albums but overall I think they're a very consistent band. Also their guitarist is just a BEAST.

Honestly they may be my second favorite power metal band, behind Lost Horizon. Angra and Blind Guardian are up there but I listen to Galneryus more regularly than just about any other band in the genre. Of course, the fact that I'm a huge weeb probably biases me towards being able to get past their vocals.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 5, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I may need to see Suffocation just to get the Hobbs shirt. :3:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Defiant Sally posted:

Swinging up for the Jacksonville show to meet up with some buddies from south Georgia. Caught the first round of this tour in Tampa when it was Enslaved in Sabaton's place, and still stoked to go again.

I'd never really paid much attention to Enslaved before that and now they're in my regular rotation because they goddamn rule. I'd pay good money to see them in a headlining spot so they can tear into more things.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know how they've managed to do this consistently every 1-2 years since 1991, but Enslaved is recording in the studio for their 13th album and expected to finish in early November, according to Ivar on their Facebook page.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Can't. loving. Wait :allears:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fenrir posted:

Can't. loving. Wait :allears:

RIITIIR was amazing, and I can't wait to see what they put out next.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

I think I may need to see Suffocation just to get the Hobbs shirt. :3:

Hah, that rules. Haven't really liked any Suffocation material since Doug left, though.

hopeless sandwich
Jun 26, 2011
Loving the poo poo out of these guys right now.

Super dense and black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqbJRaX9Eq4

Pitpit
Apr 12, 2010

Now it's my turn to be angry.

Defiant Sally posted:

I just back from that show too and yes it was nuts. First time seeing Sabaton and Amon Amarth. Sabaton was surprisingly really awesome, seeing a bunch of large bearded men jump and clap along was the greatest. Amon Amarth was well, Amon Amarth so they were loving awesome. It's Monday too but the crowd was just as insane as if it was a Saturday. I love my city, everyone is crazy . :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Seems like the Trolls are in town. Saw Finntroll on Saturday night, and Trollfest last night. Both were amazing and would definitely recommend. Trollfest are on another level of choas though. There's just something about 8 people shoved on one stage and going mad, playing songs about wasps and cabana parties whilst making quacking noises and wearing hats with rotating balloons. Utter madness. They hung at the bar afterwards though and were really nice and chatty :)