Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Leon S. Kennedy overslept on his first day as a police officer. That was enough qualification to become part of the Secret Service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SkeletonHero posted:

Leon S. Kennedy overslept on his first day as a police officer. That was enough qualification to become part of the Secret Service.
He did successfully survive a zombie infested city on that first day though so it evens out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Will Sebastian have the same marvelous haircut and killer dialogue as Leon Sex Kennedy? These are the hard hitting questions journos are afraid to ask #gamergate

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh yeah if you like Resident Evil you might want to check out the animated movies they've been doing. They feel like extended cutscenes of the games, and that's a good thing. Certainly better than whatever Paul W.S. Anderson is cooking up.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I would give the animated movies a pass, Degeneration was loving awful even for a Resident Evil movie. Seriously, just play the games, they all have better plots, even Zero.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The movies all own from 3 and on because they just said gently caress it and made them as ridiculous as possible. Apocalypse and the original are horrible because they tried to be serious.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
One of the movies has zombie motorcycle riders chasing Kennedy and Barry. They own.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
One of the movies has wesker as maybe the president or at least sitting in the white house

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
No Wesker is totally President in the later RE movies.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

He did successfully survive a zombie infested city on that first day though so it evens out.

But he showed up to work wearing a completely different uniform than everyone else in the police station. I can only assume he made it himself when he learned he got hired.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Watching Aliens and talking about AVP2 earlier in the thread has got me reminiscing about how it was basically the perfect game in terms of horror. The Marine singleplayer campaign was terrifying and it even managed to have scary multiplayer. There was a map mode called Evac where there were two teams--usually Marines and Aliens. The Marines had to get to an evac point on the map and the Aliens had to stop them. A few things made this really cool--the Aliens got unlimited lives but were on a pretty long respawn timer and started in random locations whereas the Marines got a fixed number of lives but respawned instantly all in the same spot and generally had an easier job to do. This served to make the game very, very scary--you'd start out with a squad of five other Marines slowly creeping through the map picking off Aliens one at a time until they got lucky and snagged a straggler or grouped up. Marines got exponentially more powerful in groups due to their firepower and were very vulnerable alone because of how slow they were so respawning and trying to catch up to the group was a really tense experience. Eventually the squad would totally deteriorate and it would devolve into every man for himself making a mad dash for the evac point, where you had to survive for a moment while an announcement made the Aliens aware that you were about to win. Being the last man standing waiting for a small army of slavering Aliens to burst into the drop zone, keeping your head on a swivel trying to make sure nothing could sneak up on you is among the scariest moments I've ever had in any entertainment medium.

God that game owned so hard. Well balanced (on servers that took certain weapons out) 3-way asymmetrical multiplayer like that has never been done since as far as I know, and you certainly don't see FPS campaign modes like that anymore. You had ten or so hours each of the Marine, basically a survival horror experience, the Alien, the typical survival horror experience but backward, and the Predator which was essentially a spaghetti Western revenge drama but with wristblades and dreadlocks instead of six-shooters and ten-gallon hats.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
They boosted the Predator considerably in the second one by giving him infinite recharge. In the first one, if you ran out of juice, you faced real terror as infinite mobs kept coming from all directions.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
AVP's first marine level scared the gently caress out of me and there wasn't even a single thing that could hurt you. The whole time you were waiting for a scare that never came. It was brilliant.

Sharzak posted:

God that game owned so hard. Well balanced (on servers that took certain weapons out) 3-way asymmetrical multiplayer like that has never been done since as far as I know, and you certainly don't see FPS campaign modes like that anymore. You had ten or so hours each of the Marine, basically a survival horror experience, the Alien, the typical survival horror experience but backward, and the Predator which was essentially a spaghetti Western revenge drama but with wristblades and dreadlocks instead of six-shooters and ten-gallon hats.

Believe it or not, the newest AVP had really fun multiplayer.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

AVP's first marine level scared the gently caress out of me and there wasn't even a single thing that could hurt you. The whole time you were waiting for a scare that never came. It was brilliant.

Believe it or not, the newest AVP had really fun multiplayer.

Except for the whole congo line of execution thing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vakal posted:

But he showed up to work wearing a completely different uniform than everyone else in the police station. I can only assume he made it himself when he learned he got hired.

He's like Serious Sam who just showed up at the army in a tshirt and shades. Nobody wants to say anything because he's really cool and might have sex with their mothers if they do.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

For whatever reason Green Man Gaming is selling The Evil Within packaged with its season pass for $65 USD, and combined with the 20% coupon they're running you can save nearly thirty bucks over what those would run on Steam. Not a bad deal if you were interested in buying that game.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Oh? I'll give this a try

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Honest Thief posted:

Oh? I'll give this a try

Just a few hints:

Always keep a count of how many people there are.
Always keep a save before you do something.
If someone fails killing themselves the first time, they WILL try again. See if there's something you can do about that.
The place isn't just testing people based on what they've done inside the pyramid.
In the last section, get 4 members up to at least level 7.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

RadicalR posted:

Just a few hints:

Always keep a count of how many people there are.
Always keep a save before you do something.
If someone fails killing themselves the first time, they WILL try again. See if there's something you can do about that.
The place isn't just testing people based on what they've done inside the pyramid.
In the last section, get 4 members up to at least level 7.

Alright now I got to try this. Sounds interesting!

E: welp lost the first one. Can't think of a way to stop it. Will try again later.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 5, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Mindblast posted:

Alright now I got to try this. Sounds interesting!

E: welp lost the first one. Can't think of a way to stop it. Will try again later.

Consider this. If you can't prevent it, what should you do?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of which, there was a PC-98 detective game of this ilk where you had to stop a serial killer from getting to the other characters. I just remember it being unusual because the portraits for the characters were all just straight up photographs, like not traced pixel art they just used photos of folks dressed like normal, then dead, saved, etc. for the ways the game would play out.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, there was a PC-98 detective game of this ilk where you had to stop a serial killer from getting to the other characters. I just remember it being unusual because the portraits for the characters were all just straight up photographs, like not traced pixel art they just used photos of folks dressed like normal, then dead, saved, etc. for the ways the game would play out.

Hmmm, any chance you remember the name?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Hmmm, any chance you remember the name?

No, I tried the help us remember threads a while ago but no help and due to the difficulty of finding English language PC-98 support of any kind it's been extremely difficult to research. I still have to practice my French and try asking around Tokugawa Corporate and such.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Neo Rasa posted:

No, I tried the help us remember threads a while ago but no help and due to the difficulty of finding English language PC-98 support of any kind it's been extremely difficult to research. I still have to practice my French and try asking around Tokugawa Corporate and such.

Tokugawa folks are pretty nice and speak English...
I have an account there - there's where I posted my translation for a X68000 game...
Should be able to find what you're looking for there.
Let me know if you find out - I'm always a sucker for these kind of games.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Consider this. If you can't prevent it, what should you do?

In most games it means it can't be circumvented. Here I'm not so sure.

I ran into a second problematic one. This one involves a fight that seems impossible. I'm considering a full restart and a bit of grinding to get everyone some decent stats. The folks already had good levels but this thing hits like a truck.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

The only thing I can think of with realistic portraits that's as old as the PC-98 is TurboCD version of J.B. Harold.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Mindblast posted:

In most games it means it can't be circumvented. Here I'm not so sure.

I ran into a second problematic one. This one involves a fight that seems impossible. I'm considering a full restart and a bit of grinding to get everyone some decent stats. The folks already had good levels but this thing hits like a truck.

No one in their right mind would go back into a trapped room. Right? Right?

Also, if this thing got one of your party members pinned down to the ground, it cannot be beaten by conventional means.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

You got both events correct, those are the ones who bit it. For the second one I get forced into a fight so I think I need to do something beforehand. Or use a skill that normally does jack? Will see what I can figure out.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Mindblast posted:

You got both events correct, those are the ones who bit it. For the second one I get forced into a fight so I think I need to do something beforehand. Or use a skill that normally does jack? Will see what I can figure out.

Sure. Let me know if you need another hint.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Will do, thanks! Just blitzed through the beginning again and took a different option where I suspected there was a death that I missed. Jesus christ poor Rin. :stare:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Finally jumped on the Silent Hill wagon, plowed through the first one in about 7 hours and really enjoyed it, and now I'm stuck at the final boss in 3 (wanted to finish that story before going into 2) because apparently SH3 just wants me to hate it for some reason. I like the story and the game play well enough, but seriously that first three hours of game where you're not even in Silent Hill was really tedious at times (looking at you subway station) but it kinda makes up for it by giving you a katana and a loving maul!

Looking forward to playing through the rest of the franchise and likely wanting to slit my wrists with the disc for Homecoming.

I'm debating if I want to jump into Clock Tower after I finish the SH games or go with Fatal Frame or Siren as I have the first two FF games and the original Siren on my HD and I picked up CT3 for cheap off amazon a few weeks ago.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
^I like all three of those properties so you're good any way you choose. Just include Haunting Ground into Clock Tower canon. As far as Silent Hill goes I honestly think Origins is the worst SH. The 'murrican Silent Hills I think get unduly hated. Homecoming was fine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Clock Tower 3 is absolutely awful, I'd return it if I was you. The first game is pretty alright, though, you can run it on an SNES emulator pretty easily.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Cardiovorax posted:

Clock Tower 3 is absolutely fantastic, I'd play it if I was you. The first game is pretty alright, though, you can run it on an SNES emulator pretty easily.

ftfy

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Lies and filthy lies.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Cardiovorax posted:

Lies and filthy lies.

Hey, man. If the fabulous fashion sense of the Scissor twins is wrong, I don't want to be right.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

which clock tower is it where scissorman faxes you a document

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

GulagDolls posted:

which clock tower is it where scissorman faxes you a document

I believe that was the first Clock Tower on the PSX.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

Finally jumped on the Silent Hill wagon, plowed through the first one in about 7 hours and really enjoyed it, and now I'm stuck at the final boss in 3 (wanted to finish that story before going into 2) because apparently SH3 just wants me to hate it for some reason. I like the story and the game play well enough, but seriously that first three hours of game where you're not even in Silent Hill was really tedious at times (looking at you subway station) but it kinda makes up for it by giving you a katana and a loving maul!

Looking forward to playing through the rest of the franchise and likely wanting to slit my wrists with the disc for Homecoming.

I'm debating if I want to jump into Clock Tower after I finish the SH games or go with Fatal Frame or Siren as I have the first two FF games and the original Siren on my HD and I picked up CT3 for cheap off amazon a few weeks ago.

Fatal Frame, anyone who tells you otherwise is pullin' yer leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can you guys suggest any decent LPs of Fatal Frame? I don't have a Playstation unfortunately, so I'm unable to play them first hand.