Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey, me again. Anybody else annoyed at how Melder no longer works and crashes all the time? Well, I was. So I decompiled Melder and fixed the bugs. Let me know if doesn't work for some reason (you might have to delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\Melder\cookie)

Melder 1.0.2a
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-Bc_6TpfvkMaGM1WkpBOHBvVDg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nalin posted:

Hey guys, guess what Red 5 is doing again? That's right, a third (and final (not really final)) Chosen Offensive! At the same time as last time.
Here we go again. Oh well. More credits and CY for me.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Can we get some kind of massive Goon squad going for that?

BlastTyrant
Jun 24, 2011
Still need to test it a bit more but it seems that the most recent patch some how restored sertao bandit camps back to their original spawn rates. If you have any frames 25-34 I suggest taking advantage of it during the bonus xp weekend. Could of been a fluke of the shard I'm on but they have been popping up left and right consistently since the patch this afternoon.

Update: Turns out it was just a fluke. Next shard i was on had a significantly lower spawn rate.

BlastTyrant fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 4, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Lazer Monkey posted:

Can we get some kind of massive Goon squad going for that?

The most "massive" gathering of goons I've seen in this game was like 7 people.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Morglon posted:

The most "massive" gathering of goons I've seen in this game was like 7 people.

We once managed to assemble more than 10 goons to do the warfront raid. But yeah, not many people play the game every day.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
I play regularly, but it just seems like too much of a hassle to join up with the whole split army/limited slot problems.

Speaking of, have we given up on bridging the chat channels? I've got a half-baked native code addon interface running* if the sandbox limitations are whats holding us back.

*More a proof of concept really, currently have it setup as a loopback so that I can run console commands from lua. Haven't had much reason to expand it because that's all I ever needed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Reicere posted:

I play regularly, but it just seems like too much of a hassle to join up with the whole split army/limited slot problems.

Speaking of, have we given up on bridging the chat channels? I've got a half-baked native code addon interface running* if the sandbox limitations are whats holding us back.

*More a proof of concept really, currently have it setup as a loopback so that I can run console commands from lua. Haven't had much reason to expand it because that's all I ever needed.

Forcing people to install addons to chat with each other never works. It is great in theory, but many goons won't even bother. That was why AllianceBot was so great. The current problem is that Red5 changed the method that they use to generate the password for the chat server. The login is your character name, and the password is generated based on a couple things. Discovering what changed with the password generation would involve reverse engineering the game client to solve the issue. My skills at raw reverse engineering aren't good enough, and tools that I could use to bring it within my skill range are prohibitively expensive.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Nalin posted:

We once managed to assemble more than 10 goons to do the warfront raid. But yeah, not many people play the game every day.

That was a fun day. I regret that my usual obsession levels have dropped to the point that I only log in long enough to approve apps (we still have room for now) and log off again. I don't even bother running BWA for the daily 1k anymore.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
PTS got updated with some new stuff. Note that all this stuff is work-in-progress, and some Red 5 devs have already said that things aren't going to make the next patch and might change. However, we can see what Red 5 is trying to do with Firefall, so these are somewhat interesting. And it lets us yell at them that they are making a dumb mistake before they push it live. Anyway, here are some of the changes:

Another change to the new player experience.

A bunch of new world events. I think 5 in total, including the Brontodon King, a semi-boss boss monster that can wander the open world.

New perks! Lots of defensive stuff. In fact, you can reduce plasma damage by 45.6% through 5 perk points! Haha assaults. :suicide:
Also, Nighthawks are hurt by this stuff too as the new Bastion perk basically nullifies ambush. Lots of people are whining about these, though, so they might end up being changed. We'll see!

AoE and Charge modules are getting nerfed by 50%. Instead of +40% for a purple module, it will be +20%. Nighthawk should be stronger than the Raptor now as you are looking at a 1.28 second charge on the Raptor Charge Rifle for less damage. Also, since it was a module nerf for AoE damage, it hurts ALL weapons with AoE, which includes the Heavy Plasma MG, Plasma Cannon, Fusion Cannon, and the poor Electron Shock Rail. I would have just directly addressed the Thermal Cannon / Bio Crossbow directly. Oh Red 5.

Elemental weapons have their damage changed completely to their respective element rather than having bonus elemental damage. If the dot is removed because of this, it should prevent Catalytic Poisons from activating on weapon damage. A somewhat good change, but it also fucks up PvP somewhat as you can alter your damage type to not be a common type. It just reinforces taking blanket defense perks across the board.

Deployable health increase across the board. Bastions cry tears of joy.

Reflective Armor potency changed decreased from 20% to 10%. A good change as reflective damage is horrible in PvP.

Lots of changes to Broken Peninsula.
- New deployable, BUD, that is placed on a resource node. It drains the node and upgrades your outpost.
- You gain 2 vouchers for upgrading an Outpost.
- You gain 3 vouchers for thumping.
- You can select which vehicle you want from a terminal.

New resource hauler vehicle in Broken Peninsula. Will be used for convoys. Red 5 wants you to be able to steal resources from bases and this might be how.

So yeah. Join in on the doom and gloom in the PTS forum and let Red 5 know how much you hate feature X and Y.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Those perks are pretty awful. I can't say I'm happy with how they're fixing AOE either. They should just fix the weapons that have too much AOE instead of nerfing everything.

I'm not playing as much as I was anyway. I was practically addicted since launch but while the combat itself is fun, the skill ceiling is really low in PVE and the enemies offer no real challenge aside from extreme numbers. PVP could be great but instead its just a whole other mess. Last few days I've just logged in long enough to convert my crystite and then drop back out. Someone filled my lowball Firecat license today so maybe I'll jump back in and level that frame some this weekend.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fina posted:

I'm not playing as much as I was anyway. I was practically addicted since launch but while the combat itself is fun, the skill ceiling is really low in PVE and the enemies offer no real challenge aside from extreme numbers.

I remember when the Chosen used to have aimbot accuracy and hit hard. That was tough. I think the toughest enemies in the game, at this moment in time, are the rockhounds and the armored scorchers. They both have a bunch of HP, so it takes a while to kill one of them. The rockhounds are extremely quick, do a noticeable chunk of damage per hit, and often run so far away that you are only in contact with one briefly (which further increases time to kill). They also have a knockback. So very annoying.

The armored scorchers, along with having a poo poo ton of HP, also have an almost impossible to hit head hitbox when using non-bullet weapons (eg, the entire assault class lineup). They also move decently fast, so they are difficult to dodge. And they do a lunge attack that does a ton of AoE damage across a big range. gently caress those things. Seriously, gently caress them.

All the other enemies in the game are fodder, only dangerous in absurd numbers. The only other enemy I can think of that is somewhat difficult is the Chosen Elite Siegebreaker. The only time I have ever seen one of those post-launch was when a dev spawned some during the Chosen Offensive event. They have a rapidfire siegebreaker weapon, a large AoE electrical AoE attack, and they basically have Heavy Armor activate at all times with the only weak point being its back.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah killing all my AoE doesn't make me want to play more either. It's just so many little things done wrong that I'm at least having an easy time not giving them money anymore.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This is, in a word, disappointing.
R5 is determined to make me stop playing at this point.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I can see the AoE nerf being needed for PvP, the only other option would have been to make fall off extremely high because it's not about skill right now, it's about how big your boom boom is.

As for the perks, someone let Red5 know that defensive damage specifics are boring as all Hell, and take the options out of gameplay rather than adding to. They should have made it an 8point perk with flat resistance to everything or something.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
My poor thermal cannon :negative:

I just know they're not even going to think about refunding all the soon-to-be-worthless purple modules I spent so much on.

I never even got to try out my mammoth in PVP, either. Maybe it's time to take a break.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
The Flak Cannon is still going to the main Assault weapon in owPVP, only difference is now no other frame can compete with its AOE.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Don't do AOE
Don't do single target damage mister recon
Don't get big headshots because we turned that down too

Well what the gently caress AM I supposed to do right in this game except quit :v:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Glad I took some time off. loving with the firecat is the fastest way to make sure I don't come back. This is the second significant nerf to aoe, I really wish r5 would get their act together.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
:siren: REMINDER, Chosen Offensive starts in 15 minutes! (11 am PDT) :siren:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Mighty fine idling I did there for an hour. There's no point in doing anything during that time which sucks.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Morglon posted:

Mighty fine idling I did there for an hour. There's no point in doing anything during that time which sucks.
It was pretty good powerlevelling. Item's nice, too.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
For a Chosen glider it looks suspiciously like something that they planned to sell for Halloween but decided to add it to this thing so that people would actually play the event. Also I have an extra Electron license I want to get rid of.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Ralith posted:

It was pretty good powerlevelling. Item's nice, too.

The events were fun because they shoved stuff in you face to shoot, but I didn't really get what was going on. I think I rebuilt the same aa turret three times in the hour I was on. I wish they'd put stuff in to make you feel like you were part of some titanic war for humanity's sake, and not just some one off stuff.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
:siren: Goon Transit 1.1 is now available.

Download: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-Bc_6TpfvkMc0stTTBodVR2Vlk
Download 1.2: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-Bc_6TpfvkMV3RBZG0xVFVZNU0

What's new in version 1.1? Goon Transit now appears in the nav wheel! Press tilde ~ to access the nav wheel and scroll down to the bottom. You can also press C to access the calldown menu, then use right-click to navigate backwards to the root nav wheel.

Maybe next time I'll add a clickable icon on the screen somewhere. I looked into putting it down with the other system icons, but that isn't customizable. Also, I have a Warfront and Warfront HC in the wheel. For some reason there are two warfronts and I don't know which one is the right one. Good luck.

I'd like to thank JonusRockweller for making the snazzy icons for me.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 7, 2014

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Morglon posted:

For a Chosen glider it looks suspiciously like something that they planned to sell for Halloween but decided to add it to this thing so that people would actually play the event. Also I have an extra Electron license I want to get rid of.

It looks like crap. I thought it would look on par with the cobalt phoenix and celestial wings, but it looks like someone just said "let's use bones and lots of transparency." Kind of disappointed with them. Even the cherub wings look better.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Nalin posted:

Goon Transit now appears in the nav wheel!
I'm glad the /ft function is still available, don't need anyone going Windows 8 on our asses.

precedence posted:

It looks like crap. I thought it would look on par with the cobalt phoenix and celestial wings, but it looks like someone just said "let's use bones and lots of transparency." Kind of disappointed with them. Even the cherub wings look better.

Given the timing of it, was probably just an excuse to release the wings near Halloween.

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 6, 2014

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
Hey Nalin, I made some changes to your chatbot test.. new accounts can successfully auth with a little persuasion

Nalin posted:

Okay, I made a simple little program that tests to see if your account can connect to the Firefall XMPP server using the old authentication method. If your alt account works and you would be willing to donate its usage, we could get AllianceBot back and running in GOON2.

You can find it here:
http://nalin.suckerfree.org/private/bin/ffchattest.zip

The source code is included if anybody is paranoid (it is a Qt Creator 5 project).
Redacted- because its patch specific and already outdated

Reicere fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 9, 2014

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've been playing casually for a few weeks and the game seems fun. I feel pretty weak as an Engineer though, and I'm having a lot of trouble taking on quests of my level (23). It seems like my turret does dick for damage and similarly has dick for health, making it really useful as a decoy. Also my deployable health recharge station thing doesn't really heal much. Is this what I can expect in general as an engineer if I continue to play solo? Is it better if I upgrade to bastion?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Ninja Rope posted:

I've been playing casually for a few weeks and the game seems fun. I feel pretty weak as an Engineer though, and I'm having a lot of trouble taking on quests of my level (23). It seems like my turret does dick for damage and similarly has dick for health, making it really useful as a decoy. Also my deployable health recharge station thing doesn't really heal much. Is this what I can expect in general as an engineer if I continue to play solo? Is it better if I upgrade to bastion?
What's your power rating? It's dumb, but almost everything that matters gets a massive boost determined roughly by the item level of everything you have equipped (incl. modules). If your gear is fairly old, that'll hold you back a ton.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Also the base Engineer is one of the suckiest classes to play by yourself. Stop relying on your abilities, get a decent assault rifle and use everything else more for support.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Reicere posted:

Hey Nalin, I made some changes to your chatbot test.. new accounts can successfully auth with a little persuasion

A terrible patch and some needed instructions

I decided to cheat a bit and just pulled my own secret from the client rather than try to reverse the new process, but it still didn't work. I checked everything twice with packet loggers and got to the point where I could recreate the entire scheme and it still wasn't working, so I took a hammer to qxmpp and forced it to generate byte perfect clones of the official clients requests and it started working. Don't know exactly what the problem was or which change fixed it though, so I left them all in. More details on pulling the secret are inside, but its a bit too technical for a post.

Is it possible for you to make a monitoring file for the non-Steam version of Firefall? The Steam version is locked to a single account and you are unable to log into any others with it. Which means I can't get the secret for the AllianceBot2 account.

EDIT: It looks like you found the function that calculates MD5 hashes. Is it possible to find the function that calculates SHA-1 hashes? That one would give you the good poo poo.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 7, 2014

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
EDIT: If you'd rather take this off board, you can reach me through steam, same username

Reicere fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 7, 2014

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Goon Transit 1.2

Download: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-Bc_6TpfvkMV3RBZG0xVFVZNU0

It is a bugfix so starting raids actually works. My bad guys.
Also, hardcore warfront may or may not spawn a shitload of chaingunners. :ssh:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Like it doesn't do that already?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Doodles posted:

Like it doesn't do that already?

You should try it and tell me what you think. Goon Transit can select between the two difficulties that are in the game. It feels like there are more for me, but it might just be the placebo effect. Only a couple of us have actually tried it, and warfront is a long mission so it is hard to do back to back and compare.

EDIT: Also, Inimicul, accept AllianceBot2's application to GOON2. We are back.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
So I really liked this game! Jetpacking around, gliding, and the sense of mobility and gunplay all felt great. I also liked defiance and planetside, so I suppose I really enjoy the MMOFPS niche.

The issue I had playing this game at release was that there wasn't much later content and the mobs had a long ttk. I sorta figured a fully charged charge rifle headshot would kill most mobs, but alas. I also felt like I was doing as much traveling as fighting, which kind of dulled the experience. I figured I'd wait it out a little bit to let the bugs settle and the game progress.

How's the state of the game now? I don't quite care to level more than 3 frames to cap, so I'm not terribly concerned about rehashing leveling content, but was PvE TTK (I'm looking at you, Blackwater Anomaly boss), event rewards or crafting overhauled at all? Is open world pvp remotely balanced now? I just remember Recluse, recluse, recluse.

I'd really like to give this game another shot, but I'd like to have a good idea if I should wait a bit longer, so I don't burn out on the lesser experience if there's more good stuff to come soon.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

lewtt posted:

So I really liked this game! Jetpacking around, gliding, and the sense of mobility and gunplay all felt great. I also liked defiance and planetside, so I suppose I really enjoy the MMOFPS niche.

The issue I had playing this game at release was that there wasn't much later content and the mobs had a long ttk. I sorta figured a fully charged charge rifle headshot would kill most mobs, but alas. I also felt like I was doing as much traveling as fighting, which kind of dulled the experience. I figured I'd wait it out a little bit to let the bugs settle and the game progress.

How's the state of the game now? I don't quite care to level more than 3 frames to cap, so I'm not terribly concerned about rehashing leveling content, but was PvE TTK (I'm looking at you, Blackwater Anomaly boss), event rewards or crafting overhauled at all? Is open world pvp remotely balanced now? I just remember Recluse, recluse, recluse.

I'd really like to give this game another shot, but I'd like to have a good idea if I should wait a bit longer, so I don't burn out on the lesser experience if there's more good stuff to come soon.

TTK has not been changed, although it is fairly short. Have you not been equipping modules to increase your power rating, thus increasing how much damage you do?

What do you mean by event rewards? Do you mean loot drops? BWA is worthless to run right now because you very rarely get good loot from it. The best things to run for loot are Baneclaw, Kanaloa, Kanaloa Hardcore, and Devil's Tusk Warfront. Also, they have massively increased the XP you gain from ARES Jobs, so leveling isn't as painful as it was.

Open world PvP is in a bad spot right now. The next patch will fix the broken mechanics of PvP and introduce new things to the zone, but class balance is still somewhat hosed. You probably won't find that many Recluses anymore as they have mainly been replaced by Rhinos, the new top-tier PvP frame. People figured out that you could get 60-80% damage reduction for 20 seconds with Heavy Armor while also having 60,000 HP and one of the highest DPS guns. You aren't going to be beating that. Also, Firecats with Flak Cannons are now a thing as you basically get guaranteed damage with it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Firefall TTK is short? Honestly, I'm really baffled and curious at this point. What games have you played where Firefall has short TTKs in comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TheBlandName posted:

Firefall TTK is short? Honestly, I'm really baffled and curious at this point. What games have you played where Firefall has short TTKs in comparison?

Well, I guess compared to less than 1 second TTKs in most FPS games, a 1 to 3 second TTK on most enemies would seem long.

• Locked thread