Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I want Jojo to read old fairytales to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Angela Magana has jumped up in my estimation. Telling Heather to shut up is something I gather the whole cast has been wanting to do.

Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008

Randa Markos posted:

I didn’t get to know her that much at the time, but she just seemed like she’s very different. She tried to get info out of you that didn’t even matter. Asked you questions that didn’t really make that much sense. I know she was trying to get information out of everyone … to feel a person out, or something like that.

Randa on Heather Clark from an interview here. Heather just sounds like weird, annoying person to be around.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Mean tweets from "fans" read by Carla and kind of read by Felice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVXgEqJ4bEg

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Escape Car 3000 posted:

Randa on Heather Clark from an interview here. Heather just sounds like weird, annoying person to be around.

She's married to Diego Brandão, there has to be something wrong with her.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Angela Magana has jumped up in my estimation. Telling Heather to shut up is something I gather the whole cast has been wanting to do.

Am I the only one who's kind of annoyed by Magana? The way she talks and her mannerisms give me serious serial-killer vibes. Which I guess isn't a terrible thing in a fighter.

The whole "fingers in my ears, la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you" thing was pretty odd, too, and even Felice seemed a bit weirded out by her outburst.

Not that Heather doesn't also sound annoying, mind you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm torn on Heather. She definitely has some douchey mannerisms, but on the other hand it also seems like at times she was just trying to make smalltalk and everyone was like "omg she's trying to profile us for secret strategies" or something.

I think the biggest mark against her is the way she keeps instigating rough sparring, hurting herself, and then trying to blame it all on her partner.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hobojim posted:

Am I the only one who's kind of annoyed by Magana? The way she talks and her mannerisms give me serious serial-killer vibes. Which I guess isn't a terrible thing in a fighter.

The whole "fingers in my ears, la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you" thing was pretty odd, too, and even Felice seemed a bit weirded out by her outburst.

Not that Heather doesn't also sound annoying, mind you.

I thought the mannerisms thing were extremely apparent in the first episode but I've come to be okay with her since then. I think she's just odd. The fingers in the ears thing was dumb but Heather loving sucks and she doesn't seem to respond to anything adult so gently caress it.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
Bec Rawling's episode 4 blog post

Business as usual behind the scenes stuff if you're into that, mostly interesting for the Heather hate seething through:

Bec Rawling posted:

"we thought they'd try to capitalize on Heather's face being split open and pick her to fight next but Felice told me she didn't wanna give Heather an excuse for the rear end whooping she was about to give her"

On Angela Hill's farts: "always disgusted Heather and Lisa, which then entertained us more and of course we encouraged it if it meant Heather would leave the room"

"[if] your name starts with the letter 'H' and can be re-arranged to spell 'I Hate Her' I suggest you stop reading ;)"

Jesus christ

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Started making my way through seasons of The Ultimate Fighter in my seemingly never ending quest to learn more about MMA and see the origins of many of the fighters that have gone on to be champions etc - season 1 obviously was really good and the fight between Griffin and Bonner was amazing (and apparently one of the most important fights of all time) but I'm a few episodes into season two now and holy poo poo are the fighters boring for the most part and most of them are just outright quitting.

Should I go ahead and skip the rest of season 2? If so - are there any seasons in particular I should be sure to check out? Hearing a few favorite season recommendations would probably help a lot and I don't mind skipping around.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Seasons 5, 7, 10, 14, and 17.

5 has entertaining meltdowns and good fighters, 7 has Matt Brown and JT Money, 10 has hilarious HW fights and Rashad vs. Rampage, 14 has good tiny fighters, and 17 has Chael Sonnen and Uriah Hall's scowl.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 6, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

Seasons 5, 7, 10, 14, and 17.

I'll ditch 2 and start with 5 then, thanks!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'll ditch 2 and start with 5 then, thanks!

Whatever you do, don't skip season 4. It had reasonably good fights because it was a "comeback" season where the contestants had already fought in the UFC, and it also had Shonie Carter and, most importantly, Matt Serra.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hobojim posted:

Whatever you do, don't skip season 4. It had reasonably good fights because it was a "comeback" season where the contestants had already fought in the UFC, and it also had Shonie Carter and, most importantly, Matt Serra.

I'll add it to the list, thanks. Appreciate the recommendations.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

This is by far the best part of Season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK7xdXFs4fM

Anyways I'll throw up Season 8 (Mir/Nogueira) and 12 (GSP/Kos) as being two pretty good seasons as well.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

colonel_korn posted:

This is by far the best part of Season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK7xdXFs4fM

Anyways I'll throw up Season 8 (Mir/Nogueira) and 12 (GSP/Kos) as being two pretty good seasons as well.

How have I never seen this? That's amazing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I watched this whole thing just to see Matt "I'm the Queen" Hughes face when Rich forfeits. I love it.

gently caress Matt Hughes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's not showboating because he's taking his mind off the physical activity he's doing.

Matt Hughes has cognitive dissonance.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Here is the best TUF moment, and the best moment of BJ's career: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ76VkRe-gA

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Gregor Samsa posted:

Here is the best TUF moment, and the best moment of BJ's career: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ76VkRe-gA

You sure it wasn't this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb_oiZPyFyg

or here at 6m30s = http://www.ufc.com/media/show-tuf-801

"Jason Guida is 205 pounds........we thought heh :smugmrgw:. "

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 6, 2014

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hobojim posted:

This guy knows what's up

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Those are excellent moments, and I might say that his first coaching stint was the best part of BJ's career, but I stand by his mocking Andy Wang's tears as his finest hour.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If you're pointing out the best parts of TUF and you're not referring to Chael giving motivational speeches to his guys and calling Anderson Silva "that puke" you're wrong.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

PaganGoatPants posted:

or here at 6m30s = http://www.ufc.com/media/show-tuf-801

"Jason Guida is 205 pounds........we thought heh :smugmrgw:. "

Christ, I had no idea Ryan Jimmo fought to get into the house and lost.

Also "My name is Jose Aguilar, my friends call me Freddy. To be honest, dude, I belong with Napoleon, dog, Alexander, dude, Hitler, that's who I belong with." is one of the greatest dumb things said on TUF.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Christ, I had no idea Ryan Jimmo fought to get into the house and lost.

Also "My name is Jose Aguilar, my friends call me Freddy. To be honest, dude, I belong with Napoleon, dog, Alexander, dude, Hitler, that's who I belong with." is one of the greatest dumb things said on TUF.

Hahahahahahahaha I'd never heard this.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Was it season 2 where two guys fought in the actual house and it ended up with one guy armbaring the other who promptly dropped his head onto the concrete, splitting him open and cueing many minutes of "YOU CAN'T SLAM PEOPLE ON CONCRETE"?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Nibbles! posted:

Was it season 2 where two guys fought in the actual house and it ended up with one guy armbaring the other who promptly dropped his head onto the concrete, splitting him open and cueing many minutes of "YOU CAN'T SLAM PEOPLE ON CONCRETE"?

That was the Penn/Pulver season IIRC.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The infamous Noah "I am a former Marine Sniper" Thomas and Marlon "Let me tell you about that time I fought the entire state of Califorina and won" Sims fight. Reffed by ad hoc third man in the octagon yard and "Monstah Lobstah" (not to be confused with https://www.monstalobsta.net)- owner Allen "Mahnstah Lahbstah" Berube.

Episode literally entiled Ep. 508 Not on the Concrete, if you have FightPass.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Season 5 was cool because it featured Wayne Weems, Worst in the World

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hey now, Wayne Weems actually fought and, after losing to the nicest guy ever on TUF via TKO, closed his career out with six stoppages.

Yes, Johnny Wisdom and Trip loving Shatfires

Meanwhile, there exists this man:

I mean, he may, on paper, have been dethroned by yoga-instructor guy from TUF China, but in my heart, he'll always have a place as the worst.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Trip Shatfires is the best MMA name I've ever seen

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

canoshiz posted:

Trip Shatfires is the best MMA name I've ever seen

If his full fight name wasn't Trip "Chipotle" Shatfires that's the biggest lost opportunity in fight names ever.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Find the semi-final between Cummo and Morgan before you ditch Season 2 entirely. It's a very entertaining fight. Also, the finale had some good fights on it, especially the Diaz vs. Sanchez main.

Best season of the show is a toss-up between 4 and 5, so watch them both. Then you have a huge drop off in quality of the fighters in season 6, where the ultimately mediocre Mac Danzig (fighting a weight class up even) was the best fighter by a country mile.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
TUF Live has probably had the best talent pool of any recent seasons (Jury, Chiesa, Iaquinta, Cruickshank), but it was boring and really there's no point in watching anything but the fights.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The infamous Noah "I am a former Marine Sniper" Thomas and Marlon "Let me tell you about that time I fought the entire state of Califorina and won" Sims fight. Reffed by ad hoc third man in the octagon yard and "Monstah Lobstah" (not to be confused with https://www.monstalobsta.net)- owner Allen "Mahnstah Lahbstah" Berube.

Episode literally entiled Ep. 508 Not on the Concrete, if you have FightPass.

I like how Nate Diaz was one of the sane ones

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

TUF Live has probably had the best talent pool of any recent seasons (Jury, Chiesa, Iaquinta, Cruickshank), but it was boring and really there's no point in watching anything but the fights.

I dunno, season 14 had a pretty stellar cast. Diego Brandao, TJ Dillashaw, John Dodson, and Dennis Bermudez all range from pretty good to amazing, and apparently Akira Corassani is now well-liked by some or something.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

mewse posted:

I like how Nate Diaz was one of the sane ones

Well, there's also that episode where one of the teams wrote a bunch of insults on the walls for the other team while they were at the gym, then we were treated to the back to back flip outs of Nate and Manny. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9a7uIHmwYU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Hobojim posted:

I dunno, season 14 had a pretty stellar cast. Diego Brandao, TJ Dillashaw, John Dodson, and Dennis Bermudez all range from pretty good to amazing, and apparently Akira Corassani is now well-liked by some or something.

I don't know how the fact that a champion, a title challenger, and a guy on a seven-fight winning streak came out of the season just before slipped my mind

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hobojim posted:

This is a blatant misconception, but I have a perfectly viable explanation for it: In his most recent loss, he got clocked so hard he turned into a humble human being for five minutes and seemed likeable, even raising the arm of his opponent in defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Sprecherscrow posted:

Well, there's also that episode where one of the teams wrote a bunch of insults on the walls for the other team while they were at the gym, then we were treated to the back to back flip outs of Nate and Manny. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9a7uIHmwYU

I can't remember where I found the video, but that reminds of a double Diaz interview I saw once where they asked if they would ever fight each other and they both just looked at the reporter like he killed their mom and said something like

"Why the gently caress would you even ask that, man? That's the stupidest question I've ever heard."

• Locked thread