Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

The Impaler posted:

Absolutely brilliant, but that cloth and bone jump out as too bright. :(

SRM posted:

And you bet I fortified this ruin:

I can't help but love the contrast here. I'm probably a weird exception but I've come to love fairly-brihgt, saturated colors on my minis; not stupidly, hugely eyeburningly bright, but enough to make the little dudes stand out on the tabletop. Yes on a real battlefield they'd get muddy and dusty and smeared with whatever gunk is lying around but I want them pretty, damnit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

I have no idea how I got that greasy/soft focus look but I'm kind of loving the daytime TV look I got.

Fingertip grease on the camera lense.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Fingertip grease on the camera lense.

let's not kid ourselves. It's almost definitely KFC.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Drake_263 posted:

I can't help but love the contrast here. I'm probably a weird exception but I've come to love fairly-brihgt, saturated colors on my minis; not stupidly, hugely eyeburningly bright, but enough to make the little dudes stand out on the tabletop. Yes on a real battlefield they'd get muddy and dusty and smeared with whatever gunk is lying around but I want them pretty, damnit :v:

You're not the only one. I don't have the best eyes either and it's always such a bummer when someone's beautifully painted mans just look like a nondescript dark blob, maybe with metal bits sticking out. When I paint my game minis, I paint them to be looked at from a minimum of 1 meter away. They're going to be looked at while on a table by people typically standing up. If they only look good on close-up they belong either in a display case or in battery acid.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Yeah, same. I try to get the paint inside the lines at least, but I don't bother with painting eyes or worrying about how smooth I blended poo poo. The models are going to be several feet away on the table, for at most 2 turns before I pack them back up. They don't need to be perfect.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Cataphract posted:

let's not kid ourselves. It's almost definitely KFC.

Except there isn't enough thick grease light prisms in the photo. Those would have to be exceptionally well napkin'd hands to not pass along the requisite light refraction that the Colonel's Extra Tasty Crispy is known for.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Tau needs more toys?

But look at these rules. A Heavy 2 Torrent S6 AP2 flamer? Sure it 'Gets Hot' but you are rocking a 2+/4++ to negate that. It can shoot flechettes immediately after deep striking/thrusting in the movement phase, can move like a swooping MC, and also has a second gun that's a 12" Heavy 3 S8 AP3 weapon with blind and haywire.

230 points. 230.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 3, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

TKIY posted:

Tau needs more toys?

But look at these rules. A Heavy 2 Torrent S6 AP2 flamer? Sure it 'Gets Hot' but you are rocking a 2+/4++ to negate that. It can shoot flechettes immediately after deep striking/thrusting in the movement phase, can move like a swooping MC, and also has a second gun that's a 12" Heavy 3 S8 AP3 weapon with blind and haywire.

230 points. 230.

And can peace out of a combat it's stuck in. :v:

It's a pretty close in shooting platform that can only "fly" for one turn. If you don't clear the area around where it lands its going to get murdered in close combat. This thing is dancing around at 12", not a good place to be.

I also tend to use my riptides as skyfire platforms so this thing not being super effective against fliers sucks, although it swooping and shooting it's ionic discharge cannon could work out pretty well, now that I'm talking about it.

BS 4 S8 haywire that procs in addition to the S8 is pretty rad.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those rules are pretty good, but at 230 I'm wondering if its actually about right for the points?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Being 12" away is only bad if whatever you are shooting at survives the D3+3 S8 and 2 S6 torrents it puts out.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Those rules are pretty good, but at 230 I'm wondering if its actually about right for the points?

you know what's also 230 points? A bare bones morkanaut... sigh

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Tau needs more toys?

230 points. 230.

Haha, that flamer. Why the hell would you use the one-shot mode? :psyduck: At least tie the two-shot AP2 version to the reactor. Someone at Forge World must really like Tau because they get some insane gear. I'm betting this thing will take a hit of some kind down the line like that other giant suit they put out.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cataphract posted:

Look at the bright side! The Morkanaut costs $10 less!

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Cataphract posted:

It is 60 points more than a Heldrake...

...and gets two Heldrake Flamers (with Torrent and AP2) along with the ability to slam tanks apart with Haywire hits. It's also arguably more survivable (even discounting that the Heldrake flys) because it can't die in one shot and can peace out of sticky situations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I like that they gave it BS4 and Hit and Run.

God forbid it have any of the normal Tau weaknesses.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

raverrn posted:

I like that they gave it BS4 and Hit and Run.

God forbid it have any of the normal Tau weaknesses.
"It's only I2 Hit and Run!"

: fails test, turns on Reactor and bounces out next turn regardless :

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's actually closer to 300 if you want it to survive. The Shielded missile Drones are 50 points, then you've got your Battle Suit systems. So probably another 50 points.So in the end it's around 300, which is more reasonable. It takes up a Fast Attack as well.

It's kick rear end but it is expensive. I think it's a good trade off.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Von Humboldt posted:

"It's only I2 Hit and Run!"

: fails test, turns on Reactor and bounces out next turn regardless :

The drones are I4.

Also pretty sure it can assault after moving 24". So there's that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well it's definitely powerful curious as the size of it.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Well it's definitely powerful curious as the size of it.
It's a Riptide.

It's Riptide sized.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Von Humboldt posted:

It's a Riptide.

It's Riptide sized.

Does the "sanction not granted" thing mean it's not technically 40k legal?

I 100% love the rules for this thing and I've never liked anything about Tau before. I think they perfectly captured the "shock assault battlesuit" idea with this. Good thing it's 72 pounds for an army I don't play, yeesh.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

"Not sanctioned" means they're "experimental rules", which means Forgeworld is probably going to do the same thing they did with the last Riptide variant and nerf the poo poo out of the thing before they put it into a book because goddamn look at it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So who here wants to play my new unbound Tau army (mostly gundam proxies for now)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BULBASAUR posted:

So who here wants to play my new unbound Tau army (mostly gundam proxies for now)

UC era or get the gently caress out :colbert:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
The fact that it can only "fly" for one turn is a big limiter, but it's still pretty crazy due to HnR and the reactor. I don't think Missile Drones can follow it when it does its faux-Swooping thing, though, so that's a big limiter. It's also one less wound than a normal Riptide, though the boost to BS4 makes up for that a bit.

I think, overall, it's a pretty strong inclusion (especially coming in the FA slot), but it's not game-breaking. Definitely better than it "should" be but not nearly as bad as the old R'varna before it was changed, and since it's already competing with the regular Riptide and Broadsides, Buff Commander, allies, etc, etc, I'm not sure how much use it will see.

Gonna convert one up anyways just so I can field all three Evangelions-as-battlesuits as different "models," but...

raverrn posted:

Also pretty sure it can assault after moving 24". So there's that.

It cannot. Its Vectored Thrust Array allows it to move exactly like a FMC, which will include the inability to assault (or be assaulted), hit on 6s unless the enemy has Skyfire, the ability to use Skyfire itself if it chooses to, etc. There is a bit of a question about whether it is allowed to assault on the following turn, however, as it's not technically switching "modes" the way a FMC does.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 3, 2014

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

If you don't want to get a mess of superheavy walkers and Titans and play this game as 28mm BattleTech, get the gently caress out forever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We use to play 40k with Epic miniatures, it's actually pretty fun.

My days of longing for a 15mm 40k setting or at least a miniature range will last forever.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I would actually love to play this, but only against my unbound Pacific Rim action figures Tau unbound army

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
unbound

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Is the Librarian in Terminator Armor kit any good? I'm torn between that or removing the Chaos stuff from a Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator Armor.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ANAmal.net posted:

If you don't want to get a mess of superheavy walkers and Titans and play this game as 28mm BattleTech, get the gently caress out forever.

Does Nidzilla count? :ohdear:

I've been running my Tyranids recently with like 6-7 monstrous creatures at 1850. I used to run them like a horde, but it turns out this is fun as hell. And I just built a flying Hive Tyrant. :getin:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Is the Librarian in Terminator Armor kit any good? I'm torn between that or removing the Chaos stuff from a Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator Armor.

Unless they've updated it, it's a single-pose finecast model with one option. The Terminator Chaos Lord box, meanwhile, owns.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ANAmal.net posted:

Go ahead and write rules for heat/ammo/damage tracking and get back to me.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Fix posted:

Go ahead and write rules for heat/ammo/damage tracking and get back to me.

The battlesuit already has "gets hot", what more could you want

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
I want to shoot a Riptide in the legs and then capture it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I just hope this FW chaos book finally does away with the whole "Well, it's a daemon engine, OF COURSE is gets WS 3 and BS 3 like all the others!" mentality. The thing has been shooting/slashing for millenia. Even that basic khorne turdling has WS 5 and BS 5. Let it actually be decent at what it does instead of just giving everything a guardsman level of skill and a 5++!

Who am I kidding. WS 8 is for Vindicare assassins, after all.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I fully expect it to remain the same. It's been a hallmark of their daemon engine design, unfortunately. You trade BS and WS for an invuln and immunity to shaken + stunned.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Squifferific posted:

No one is getting juice.

N-o-o!

For those of you who missed it, one of the Horrible Warhams player replies was how one very poor guy would take his wife and kids to the hobby store, firesale poo poo he was bored with (at a huge loss). His child asked, "Do we get juice this week?"

"No, new Grey Knights are out."

:cry:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ANAmal.net posted:

:frogc00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Any goons wanna meetup at Game Kastle Fremont tonight?

• Locked thread