Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They're probably only just now noticing that McDonalds is staffed entirely by adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

thathonkey posted:

"This largely has been unsuccessful for 30 years"
"All theory"
:allears:

He's right though, it is all theory. The mistake he is making is that assuming 'theory' means 'untested hypothesis' rather than a well-substantiated explanation repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. Which is what 'theory' actually means in that context.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Neruz posted:

He's right though, it is all theory. The mistake he is making is that assuming 'theory' means 'untested hypothesis' rather than a well-substantiated explanation repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. Which is what 'theory' actually means in that context.

Oh totally. I understand that i just thought it was a funny moment and the guy seemed to be using "theory" as a synonym for "not tried / not in practice" (which he gets called on and then ignores)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Shouldn't we try to increase the value of the dollar?"

That's frigging called deflation and it's economic catastrophe. These are the dumb ideas people get when inundated in a lifetime of post-Carter inflation hysteria, where inflation is ALWAYS bad and ALWAYS out of control or about to be. So deflation must be good, right?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Economics is seriously complex and often goes directly contrary to common sense, so it's not really that surprising that the vast majority of people have no loving clue how it works. I know I don't.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Well, you see, most of Wal-Marts employees don't make minimum wage so a raise won't help workers all. It will, however, cause a catastrophic increase in prices because

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like when people are like, oh, well, only 3% of workers make the federal minimum wage. Yeah, dipshit, that's because only like six red states are backwards enough to not have their own, higher minimum wages. If you live in a civilized place then you can't legally make the federal minimum wage. You can still get paid poo poo, though.

I haven't seen an exact figure of how many people make less than $10.10 an hour, which would be far more relevant as far as Obama's proposals are concerned, but I guarantee you it's a hell of a lot loving higher.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Insult Comic Barbie posted:

I looked at that and thought, "huh, Hillary doesn't look too bad in a suit and tie."

Clearly I'm not the target audience.

I love the fact that they think that tying her to Bill is going to hurt her politically. They seem to have forgotten that he kicked their asses twice and made them look like a bunch of bumbling imbeciles. Hell my favorite thing about Bill was how he caused republicans to loose their loving minds and do dumb self destructive poo poo.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Mellow Seas posted:

I like when people are like, oh, well, only 3% of workers make the federal minimum wage. Yeah, dipshit, that's because only like six red states are backwards enough to not have their own, higher minimum wages. If you live in a civilized place then you can't legally make the federal minimum wage. You can still get paid poo poo, though.

I haven't seen an exact figure of how many people make less than $10.10 an hour, which would be far more relevant as far as Obama's proposals are concerned, but I guarantee you it's a hell of a lot loving higher.

Plus, pretty much all the big corporate employers have little automatic pay raises for employees who are around for more than six months or whatever. Person gets hired at minimum wage, gets a 25 cent per hour raise after six months, woo! Not minimum wage! See, we're not a minimum wage employer!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deuce posted:

Plus, pretty much all the big corporate employers have little automatic pay raises for employees who are around for more than six months or whatever. Person gets hired at minimum wage, gets a 25 cent per hour raise after six months, woo! Not minimum wage! See, we're not a minimum wage employer!

Or, they get hired at like a dime over minimum wage.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Verbal rather than email, but my rural in-laws were discussing McDonald's minimum wage protests (it's not a career!), then shifted to discussing a local rural town blocking construction of a McDonald's (and desperately needed sales tax revenue for sewer upgrades). They speculated that the locals were worried the minimum wage jobs would attract niggers, but those fears are unfounded as long as the town doesn't get public transit.

I sat quietly in the corner and cried inwardly for society.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
My dad said "there IS a visible left-wing in this country" and then ranted about the minimum wage protesters at McDonalds. Highlights include:

• "They're not a charity!"
  • "If you just cut the minimum wage, they'd hire more kids like you for job training! wait, what did I say about businesses not being charities?"
  • "Just ask someone who runs a McDonalds! They'll tell you exactly what I'm saying!"
  • "No, you're wrong that McDonalds and WalMart et al would just pocket the extra change and keep the same amount of workers if you cut the minimum wage!"

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 3, 2014

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
everyone against a modest increase in minimum wage or for doing away with it all together should have to work in some sort of public works improvement job for 1 year at the federal minimum wage

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

• "They're not a charity!"
  • "No, you're wrong that McDonalds and WalMart et al would just pocket the extra change and keep the same amount of workers if you cut the minimum wage!"

Businesses aren't charities, but if the government lets them keep more money, they'll generously invest it in the community by hiring kids and giving them job training rather than continue operating with the amount of staff that's sufficient to run their business now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If the minimum wage was abolished altogether, what do they think would happen? Would fast food joints just be crammed to bursting with workers, so many no one would be able to move, all working for $.01/hr? Or would everyone make $.50/hr but only work one hour shifts? I'm confused.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

If the minimum wage was abolished altogether, what do they think would happen? Would fast food joints just be crammed to bursting with workers, so many no one would be able to move, all working for $.01/hr? Or would everyone make $.50/hr but only work one hour shifts? I'm confused.

They think that unemployment statistics would go down because everyone would have a job. . .Doesn't matter that they're making a nickel per hour, they're employed!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Al Harrington posted:

everyone against a modest increase in minimum wage or for doing away with it all together should have to work in some sort of public works improvement job for 1 year at the federal minimum wage
Pfft, that's easy *slacks off and draws on generous savings/capital gains for a year*.

That's exactly what would happen with many of the higher ups who propagate this line of thought, so it wouldn't work unless you were going to detach them from their investments, savings, and networks, and make them learn the value of labor somewhere far away in the middle of nowhere.
__________/

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
It just shows how much they misunderstand economics. Just because McDonald's would get their labor cheaper doesn't mean that people will suddenly crave so many Big Macs that they need to hire twice as many people to keep up with demand. Labor costs won't affect demand for Big Macs, so they'll just handle they're demand the same way they have before, with the same number of workers they had before, only this time with a better profit margin.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

E-Tank posted:

They think that unemployment statistics would go down because everyone would have a job. . .Doesn't matter that they're making a nickel per hour, they're employed!

:haw: That's noting. We could re-enact many Charles Dickens stories if only we'd abolish child labor laws! It'd be exactly like his timeless classic except they'd be dark, gritty reboots with a grim ending. Just think of the possibilities! :downs:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Al Harrington posted:

I use to work for minimum wage you pleb. How about you grow up and get an adult job instead of letting the government say what businesses should pay.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Remember; increasing the minimum wage will destroy the economy and make all the buildings instantly burn; unlike the other 20+ times the minimum wage has been increased because reasons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

xergm posted:

It just shows how much they misunderstand economics. Just because McDonald's would get their labor cheaper doesn't mean that people will suddenly crave so many Big Macs that they need to hire twice as many people to keep up with demand.

Actually, consumers would

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
There is a Wienerschnitzel down the street from me. I found out that the monthly take home for the owner is 30-40 grand a month. So I can hardly feel sympathetic to owners if the wage gets raised, which seems to always be a talking point.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aeka 2.0 posted:

There is a Wienerschnitzel down the street from me. I found out that the monthly take home for the owner is 30-40 grand a month. So I can hardly feel sympathetic to owners if the wage gets raised, which seems to always be a talking point.

Just as anecdotal evidence, my girlfriend worked for a small family business that was barely staying afloat while paying all the employees minimum wage. They'd have really been hurt by a minimum wage increase. It was bad enough that the owner's son was routinely stealing money from the registers, I don't know how they'd have been able to pay a few hundred dollars extra a week in payroll.

My point is, if a modest minimum wage increase raised gradually over a period of three to five years is going to put a store out of business, they're already done and just don't know it. If it wasn't the minimum wage it'd be a hole in the roof or a spike in gas prices or construction on their street.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just as anecdotal evidence, my girlfriend worked for a small family business that was barely staying afloat while paying all the employees minimum wage. They'd have really been hurt by a minimum wage increase. It was bad enough that the owner's son was routinely stealing money from the registers, I don't know how they'd have been able to pay a few hundred dollars extra a week in payroll.

My point is, if a modest minimum wage increase raised gradually over a period of three to five years is going to put a store out of business, they're already done and just don't know it. If it wasn't the minimum wage it'd be a hole in the roof or a spike in gas prices or construction on their street.

I have a lot of relatives who in other aspects of life will say "if you can't do it right, you shouldn't do it at all". But when I throw it back at them over "small businesses" going broke over a wage increase it's somehow different.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Then out of business they go, businesses do not have a right to exist and if they're so shoddily run (nepotism much) then gently caress them.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

small businesses and small farms are the biggest sacred cows for conservatives.

people exempt small businesses from their normal "sink or swim, not my problem" attitude for the same reason they yowl about how welfare is Ruining Our Society while maintaining that massive farming subsidies and tax-breaks are completely kosher.

It's partially a cultural bias and partially ingnorance about the finances that are involved. Most people where I live (farming country in Kentucky) seem genuinely unable to process the fact that 70-80% of small farms would have folded decades ago were it not for federal intervention, for instance, so ingrained is the smalltime farmer/entrepreneur as a symbol of rugged self-reliance.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 3, 2014

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

VitalSigns posted:

This is great. I'd love to see someone use this as an actual rebuttal just to see the great big WOOSH! as it passes over heads.

Link if anyone wants to see the red button.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

My one semester of intermediate economics makes this comic even better.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've been trying to drive this point home to a lot of people. A successful business sees growth. Stagnation is death. If you can't handle a small cost of living increase on a regular interval for a five to ten year period(the latest debate was over a loving 25 cent increase to minimum wage in my home city, the latest in a regular series of regular .25 cent increases that occur annually), then your business is already done, and no amount of taxes, wage hikes or increased benefits for your employees is going to change that. It MIGHT expedite the process, but then it's just sparing your business a slow and years long decline.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Contrariwise, a minimum wage increase might save your business as it may give more people more disposable income and they just might use it on your business.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

VideoTapir posted:

They're probably only just now noticing that McDonalds is staffed entirely by adults.

This is true.

The McD's nearest to my house has a permanent "now hiring" sign up. But they ONLY want people 18 and older. The Target I worked at in college won't hire people under 18 anymore either.

Truthfully, in this economy, there's no reason to hire teenagers. There's enough adults that need work, that will work for at or near min wage for any hours you want or need, that there's no reason to hire a 16 year old and deal with their mandated labor restrictions, school and extra-curricular schedules, and meddling parents. It might be different if there was a labor shortage, but at this time, there just isn't.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Then you turn 18 and why don't you have any experience. Lost generation ahoy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Every time I fill out a job application, my heart sinks when I get to the references/previous employers sections :sigh:

I don't even have any actual job experience besides canvassing (dropped after 3 days because I was so bad at it) and selling cards at a bingo hall (which is technically volunteer work and depends on my mom's friend to get me shifts there).

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I apologize for initiating mathchat. Please instead join me on this crazy political forward k-hole journey

Doesn't seem political, just dumb and fear mongering

119,000 shares. Why is no one questioning this?

I decided to go through all of the people who reposted this nonsense until I found one where someone had made a comment that showed even the smallest kernel of skepticism.

This was about 150 reposts down. "This seems a little farfetched but ok"

I anonymized this for everyone else, but the person who reposted this particular time is called "Sinsoftheflesh."

Alright Farrah Moan, what else you got for me?

It's not even an article, just a headline and lots of horrible, horrible comments. Which I guess is cutting out the middleman.

http://americannews.com/judge-promises-obama-will-serve-10-years-to-life-for-this-major-crime/

The crime is "abetting terrorists" by the way. It took a couple tries on google to figure it out.

This brings us to Frank Coon, who thinks Obama should go to Gitmo, and has the following macros to share with you

Why? Don't think, just pick 3!

And then, a few posts down, the following (sorry for the date in the screencap)

Which brings us right back to where we started, with carjacking urban legends.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp

False, since first recorded in 2004.

Thanks for playing, and remember that you too can enjoy a trip down a right wing nuttery k-hole from the comfort of your own home

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
NEW BUT OLD SCHEME

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Every time I fill out a job application, my heart sinks when I get to the references/previous employers sections :sigh:

I don't even have any actual job experience besides canvassing (dropped after 3 days because I was so bad at it) and selling cards at a bingo hall (which is technically volunteer work and depends on my mom's friend to get me shifts there).

job apps were frustrating after growing up on a farm.

You can't really put down "Spent X month helping my uncle build Y miles of fence, spent Z month gutting an old barn on my neighbor's place" as job experience/reference, even if it ~seems~ like this should look better than kids who spent the same interval of time lifeguarding or something.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You worked for a month in the landscaping industry and you helped restore a historical barn.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Defenestration posted:

Why? Don't think, just pick 3!

I choose...sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
a right wing co-worker and friend unfriended me after I pointed out how ridiculous one of those "carjackers are putting money on peoples windshields and then they get you" was, I simply posted a snopes response to it

good times