Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Looking to try out zenithal priming on one of my new warjacks for warmachine. Will it look weird next to my other robots if they weren't done this way?

Painting red if it matters.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
It should look fine, besides you need to try out new techniques or your painting skills will never expand.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

having never done zenithal, should I be going black to white, or black to red?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

So while I was working on Slenderman, I painted this Rackham figure, a Cynwäll Elf, Mäelyn, in the space of two evenings.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
My understanding is black to white, then overpaint in thin layers and the effect should be subtle but clear.

w00tmonger posted:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

w00tmonger posted:

Mix 50/50 dark blue and red then go through to red 50/50 with orange. You can zenith all base coat as opposed to priming.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

thespaceinvader posted:

My understanding is black to white, then overpaint in thin layers and the effect should be subtle but clear.

That's what I do when I do zenithal priming. The paint goes on more or less at the consistency of a glaze.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I found a thing at Ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70198031/

This is a cork-lined paper file tray holder thing. It also doubles as a fantastic WIP shelving unit as the shelves are designed to slide out and be removeable, they're lined with cork, and each shelf has about 65mm clearance. It fits in an expedit/kallax cube also.

$20

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

w00tmonger posted:

I did a guide just for you!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&pagenumber=1172&perpage=40#post433075475

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Zenithal is love. I did both zenithal priming and basecoating on my last mini (black to grey to white on the primer, then shadow up to highlight through the airbrush).

Advice time! Has anyone worked with resin forgeworld models? I'm planning to hollow out a plague toad to put the LED from a fake candle inside, painting it up like a pumpkin. How much asspain is this likely to be? If I use a dremel, what bit should I be using for most of it?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I work mostly in resin. Its a lot like plastic, but softer, so you will require less pressure. No idea about the tool however, as all I have is a pin vice.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

dr_ether posted:

So while I was working on Slenderman, I painted this Rackham figure, a Cynwäll Elf, Mäelyn, in the space of two evenings.

This looks great!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm having a slight issue with paint matching... my main Eldar colour is Vallejo Model Color Dark Sea Blue 70898. Having just bought an airbrush, I decided to grab the equivalent from The Combat Company, Model Air Color Dark Sea Grey 71087.

Except, that's not what it is, the bottle says Steel Blue 71087, and is very much a midnight blue as opposed to a blue tinged ocean grey. I've checked around, and the internet seems evenly split over whether or not 71087 is Dark Sea Blue or Steel Blue, with the Vallejo site saying Steel Blue.

What gives? Was there a change? Is there actually a model air equivalent, or am I going to have to resort to thinning?

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
First paint job in more than a year and a half:

Fun to be painting again

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I found a thing at Ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70198031/

This is a cork-lined paper file tray holder thing. It also doubles as a fantastic WIP shelving unit as the shelves are designed to slide out and be removeable, they're lined with cork, and each shelf has about 65mm clearance. It fits in an expedit/kallax cube also.

$20

That's pretty neat! May pick one up, I need SOMETHING to organise my grey mans.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I use 10 of these, stacked in a 2x5 row to hold my mans.

Without the casters of course.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241/#/50264927

They work amazingly, the lower drawrs are tall enough for large figures like Infinity TAGS to stand upright.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
I'm sure this has been posted here dozens of times but I didn't see it in the OP, what size magnets should I be buying if I'm looking to magnetize my Hordes models?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
The Kvissle looks awesome, but it's $40 here in Australia. WTF Ikea! I might see about making my own somehow. Great product though.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Spigs posted:

I'm sure this has been posted here dozens of times but I didn't see it in the OP, what size magnets should I be buying if I'm looking to magnetize my Hordes models?

I assume you refer to beasts that you want to magnetize. 2mm and 3mm magnets did the job for me for modular jacks (Cygnar). Just don't try to magnetize any metal part (like those character kits). Magnets won't hold those.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
WIP on my Newline Designs 20mm General Picton for Waterloo.

Pretty terrible detail on the model, but it painted up pretty nicely. I'm awful at painting horses though.
Also, the primer gunked up a bit on the back of the model, but it only really shows on the umbrella. At that size, who'll notice? Right? Right?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
My can of Army Painter black primer is pretty close to done, so on my way home from work tonight I picked up a can of P3 because goons keep talking it up.

Holy gently caress, I am done buying any other kind of primer.

bokbok
Jan 12, 2006

do you like my hat?
Just started assembling a second hand daemon prince model I have and discovered that someone has filed the poo poo out of it to make the wings fit on... backwards.

I was just thinking about how I needed a good green stuff project (except not).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So everything you've heard about the FoW Open Fire! starter box Shermans is true.

I think the trick is to sparingly glue the hull parts together, then mummify it in rubber bands - with a spacer between the treads on the bottom to keep it from pulling the upper hull apart.

And periodically nudge everything back into shape. Then it's still going to need some gap filling putty. Sheesh.

At least the plastic M4A3 box looks less hostile.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Just get PSC.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
gently caress those Shermans. I ended up covering them in stowage to hide the gaps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I just used clamps and they turned out just fine. Home Depot $1 pony mini clamps are your friend.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

adary posted:

First paint job in more than a year and a half:

Fun to be painting again

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

I use 10 of these, stacked in a 2x5 row to hold my mans.

Without the casters of course.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40196241/#/50264927

They work amazingly, the lower drawrs are tall enough for large figures like Infinity TAGS to stand upright.

Are you literally Bud Dink from that show Doug

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What are pony clips? My Google results have been... interesting.

This is the best approach. The OF boxed set wound up being the best deal (most of Romania's German allied options are there) but PSC is just so much better overall.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

moths posted:

What are pony clips? My Google results have been... interesting.

This is the best approach. The OF boxed set wound up being the best deal (most of Romania's German allied options are there) but PSC is just so much better overall.

Pony Clamps, specific wording is important.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

signalnoise posted:

Are you literally Bud Dink from that show Doug

I like stuff, what can I say? :black101:
You havent seen the other side of the room either... I should do a 360 shot some time.

Demons
May 27, 2011
Is it possible to make off-red Spirit Hosts work? Disregarding accidentally turning them pink.
Or should I just accept that off-blue and off-green are the only colours that work?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Crosspostin'

https://www.krmulticase.com is having an anniversary sale. Buy a bag or whatever, get a card case filled with foam for free.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

This, except for some of their early kits. I know from experience that the Panzer IV kits are a pain in the rear end to assemble, and I've heard the same of the T-34 kit. Not Open Fire horrible, but enough that if I'd ever need more Panzer IV's (I won't), I'd pay extra for the Battlefront ones.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Presuming folks do a decent amount of painting with Reaper series paints as well, I was curious to hear what anyone thought about the shadow / highlight triad system they've got going on; I was specifically starting to eyeball picking up some of the three-paint sets for different skin tones and the like and was wondering how they handled compared to just tackling shading with flesh washes and highlights with base tones + lighter whites / other colors.

I really want to nab Adamantium Black from their line, it looks pretty slick from what I have been checking out.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

GaistHeidegger posted:

Presuming folks do a decent amount of painting with Reaper series paints as well, I was curious to hear what anyone thought about the shadow / highlight triad system they've got going on; I was specifically starting to eyeball picking up some of the three-paint sets for different skin tones and the like and was wondering how they handled compared to just tackling shading with flesh washes and highlights with base tones + lighter whites / other colors.

I really want to nab Adamantium Black from their line, it looks pretty slick from what I have been checking out.

I use mostly Reaper. The triad system is great, but my only complaint is that sometimes the 3 colors are a little too close together for the level of contrast I want so I wind up using a darker or lighter color as a final shade/highlight.

The skin tones are great though, I find most "flesh" paint to be really bright and cartoony - Bronzed Flesh too orange, Elf Flesh too pink, and so on. Reaper ones are much more realistic and interesting colors and there's dozens of them.

I also basically can't live without the Liners and off-whites triad at this point.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

JoshTheStampede posted:

I use mostly Reaper. The triad system is great, but my only complaint is that sometimes the 3 colors are a little too close together for the level of contrast I want so I wind up using a darker or lighter color as a final shade/highlight.

The skin tones are great though, I find most "flesh" paint to be really bright and cartoony - Bronzed Flesh too orange, Elf Flesh too pink, and so on. Reaper ones are much more realistic and interesting colors and there's dozens of them.

I also basically can't live without the Liners and off-whites triad at this point.

That's really encouraging and basically fits to a tee the main thing I was mulling over--most flesh tones from other paints feeling like they're a bit cartoony. When going over the reaper paints for olive skin tones and the like they looked really great. Hair colors that aren't red, black or brown are also a bit rough for me yet, so their blonde / blond highlight for instance looked appealing as well. I saw the liners, but wasn't sure about how they're actually used in application--what I gathered was that they were mostly just particularly dark pigments? Would they be pre-laid for darker recesses similar to the black -> white approach to handling eyes?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

GaistHeidegger posted:

That's really encouraging and basically fits to a tee the main thing I was mulling over--most flesh tones from other paints feeling like they're a bit cartoony. When going over the reaper paints for olive skin tones and the like they looked really great. Hair colors that aren't red, black or brown are also a bit rough for me yet, so their blonde / blond highlight for instance looked appealing as well. I saw the liners, but wasn't sure about how they're actually used in application--what I gathered was that they were mostly just particularly dark pigments? Would they be pre-laid for darker recesses similar to the black -> white approach to handling eyes?

The liners are dark colors with a ton of flow improver and are sort of translucent. They're meant for lining - as in darklining crevices and between armor plates and such. You can do that sort of thing with any paint but the liners just flow nicer and don't require thinning or mediums to behave the way you want it to.

I do also use them for eyes, now that you mention it. both for the lining around the eye socket and for painting the pupil since I try to avoid pure white and pure black when doing eyes.

I can also attest to their blonde hair triad being good. It's hard to break out of the habit of only looking at colors called skin or flesh when doing skin and only looking at stuff labeled hair to do hair, but Reaper is a good middle step in that process by having a much wider and diverse selection of those.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

JoshTheStampede posted:

The liners are dark colors with a ton of flow improver and are sort of translucent. They're meant for lining - as in darklining crevices and between armor plates and such. You can do that sort of thing with any paint but the liners just flow nicer and don't require thinning or mediums to behave the way you want it to.

That does sound very handy then. I am putting together an order on Reaper's site and I could swear their paints used to be $3/bottle--did they have a price increase? They're $3.25 apiece now. They also sell the paints as triad sets for $9.85 which seems a little bizarre when buying them separately makes for $9.75.

Edit: Whoops, 3.29, so you do save two cents on the triads I suppose.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

GaistHeidegger posted:

That does sound very handy then. I am putting together an order on Reaper's site and I could swear their paints used to be $3/bottle--did they have a price increase? They're $3.25 apiece now. They also sell the paints as triad sets for $9.85 which seems a little bizarre when buying them separately makes for $9.75.

Edit: Whoops, 3.29, so you do save two cents on the triads I suppose.

Yeah, if you are buying from the website you dont really save money on triads - I think they are packaged that way mainly to let retailers have fewer SKUs on the shelves.

I'm not sure about price increases - whenever I buy from them I buy enough to get free shipping which usually winds up being 10 or 12 colors.

• Locked thread